PDA

View Full Version : OT - The Greatest Play in Northwestern History

CDC84
03-02-2017, 09:09 AM
One of the most unbelievable passes I have ever seen in a basketball contest:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2017/03/01/northwestern-michigan-buzzer-beater-big-ten-basketball/98617318/

This win probably secures an at large bid for Northwestern, the only major conference school that has yet to participate in the NCAA tournament. I guess Coach Collins was running around all over the place looking for somebody to hug like Jim Valvano. What a story.........

gonzagafan62
03-02-2017, 09:11 AM
That was the least Northwestern play ever

webspinnre
03-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Truly remarkable.

CDC84
03-02-2017, 09:24 AM
That was like a perfectly thrown 50 yard TD pass to win a football game.

ZagDad84
03-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Great play with perfect execution.

Got to ask why Michigan was fronting the NW players with 1.7 secs to go. He does not have time for more than one dribble and the shot. Stay between him and the basket and make him hit a shot.

Kudos to NW for making the play, but give the boos for Michigan for giving up the lay-up.

ZagDad

sittingon50
03-02-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm rooting for NW to get into the Tourney, but I felt like Pardon got away with a foul. Kind of hard to see because it happens so quickly, but I thought he had his arm on top of the shorter defender's shoulder & impeded his ability to jump.

CDC84
03-02-2017, 09:43 AM
There normally has to be a missed foul call and a massive screw up on defense for a play like this to happen.

Still, the execution and the pass........

ZagDad84
03-02-2017, 09:49 AM
There normally has to be a missed foul call and a massive screw up on defense for a play like this to happen.

Agreed.

Give the win to Northwestern and an assist to Michigan (and maybe the refs).

ZagDad

maynard g krebs
03-02-2017, 09:54 AM
I went to the Les Schwab Invitational years ago at Hillsboro HS outside of Portland and one of the games was Lake Oswego w/ Kevin Love v Jesuit w/ one of the Tarver brothers who went to Oregon State. He was Jesuit's biggest guy at about 6'5 and had done a decent job on Love; Jesuit scored to take the lead w/ about 1 sec left. LO called a time out, after which a kid who if I remember right was their football qb (long time ago, not sure) threw a perfect 90' pass to Love right at the rim; he caught it and dropped it in in one motion.

Right up there w/ Adam's bank shot v Okie St for greatest play I've seen in person

jake
03-02-2017, 10:13 AM
This video has a couple of replays. I don't really see a foul. The Northwestern player keeps his arms up. JMO, but I think what looks like it might be a foul is the Michigan defender getting disoriented, trying to turn around, and losing his balance a little. Either way, it's a pretty incredible play and ending.

I love watching slow-motion replays like the last one in this video where you can see the faces and reactions of the crowd as the basket unfolds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4gugzAwJfg

Shanachie
03-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Absolutely amazing.

Just curious - I didn't see the game live, just the clip. Did they review whether there should be any time left on the clock after the layup? Based on some other plays earlier in the year, if I was Northwestern, I would have been worried about being called for a technical with the fans rushing the floor.

jazzdelmar
03-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Absolutely amazing.

Just curious - I didn't see the game live, just the clip. Did they review whether there should be any time left on the clock after the layup? Based on some other plays earlier in the year, if I was Northwestern, I would have been worried about being called for a technical with the fans rushing the floor.

Great point. Yes there were certainly NW bench players and maybe fans on the court as time ran out. I actually thought one ref was about to T them up. But a good no call.

DixieZag
03-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Absolutely amazing.

Because the replay on the USA Today site was kind of "skippy" - I watched it on YouTube instead. I watched for when the red flashed on the backboard, originally to see how closely he got the shot off. The red flashes just as the ball kisses the glass, clearly out of his hands, and clearly before it even went through the basket, so - yes, time was out immediately after the made basket.

deathchina
03-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Very proud of my alma mater.

Did you know Northwestern actually hosted the first ncaa championship game in 1939?

CDC84
03-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Congrats deathchina. Collins has done a terrific job. Where is NW going to play during the Welsh-Ryan renovations?

The rushing the floor thing reminds me again of what a disaster it would have been if Jenkins' shot hadn't beaten the buzzer in last year's national title game. Can you imagine having to clear the floor and sweep up all that confetti? I am sure this year's national title game confetti shooter (how would you like to have that on your business card) has been properly educated about when it's safe to shoot.