PDA

View Full Version : Tillie?

Bogozags
03-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Those in the know...Do we have an update on his status? Do we think he will be playing this Saturday or Monday or Tuesday?

Thanks...

ProVeeZag
03-01-2017, 01:21 PM
I'm hoping no news is good news, but boy is this being kept "under wraps".

JAGzag
03-01-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm sure the docs and coaches know what they're doing, but I hope it's not rushed. He'd have another 10 days to heal if he doesn't play this week.

ProVeeZag
03-01-2017, 01:31 PM
I'm sure the docs and coaches know what they're doing, but I hope it's not rushed. He'd have another 10 days to heal if he doesn't play this week.

We all know how long that stretch of time after the WCC tourney and pre-March Madness can be. I would think he's staying in top cardio shape anyway.

Goshzagit
03-01-2017, 01:39 PM
been prodding and nothing...

They are taking his injury, seriously.

He is running, doing pool work, and staying in conditioning shape.

That's all I know/heard.

Otherwise, must assume they do xrays this week and see how is fx is healing and the strength of his hand...

Dunno if he'll play next wkend or not.

Keep the opponent guessing?

Mr Vulture
03-01-2017, 01:46 PM
I am just hoping for the NCAA Tournament for this return. If he isn't ready for the WCC Tournament I would hope they don't push it...would hate to reinjure it this weekend.

ZagOD7540
03-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Don't forget-This down time is allowing that ankle to heal also. Hopefully close to full strength by NCAA tourney time. Get his hops back! He's a really important piece of the puzzle for our Zags.

jim77
03-01-2017, 05:34 PM
I actually think Tillie was the difference against BYU. Hate to say it but BYU wore out our bigs....near the end our bigs were not a factor. I also think we may need to can the 3 guard offense if we get up against them again.....Tillie would make a nice 3 when needed. Byu know knows getting physical works effectively against the Zags. Hitting free throws would have helped too. Either way, other teams now know that getting deep into the Zag's grill is how to rattle them. If we meet BYU again....I suspect they will get physical even earlier. We need to make it a point to attack their bigs.....maybe even use Ryan Edwards for a few fouls.

Tillie was very much missed and I hope we see him back soon.

scott257
03-01-2017, 07:02 PM
I actually think Tillie was the difference against BYU. Hate to say it but BYU wore out our bigs....near the end our bigs were not a factor. I also think we may need to can the 3 guard offense if we get up against them again.....Tillie would make a nice 3 when needed. Byu know knows getting physical works effectively against the Zags. Hitting free throws would have helped too. Either way, other teams now know that getting deep into the Zag's grill is how to rattle them. If we meet BYU again....I suspect they will get physical even earlier. We need to make it a point to attack their bigs.....maybe even use Ryan Edwards for a few fouls.

Tillie was very much missed and I hope we see him back soon.

I don't disagree that our bigs got tired. I think they were working to be more involved in the offense but the ball wasn't making it in to them. So many times I watched Shem roll in after setting a screen only to be ignored. I am more vindictive than Few is too. I would have sent Edwards in just for the sole purpose of pounding on either Mika or Kafusi if the opportunity was there. I know that would be wrong, but I can't imagine Rose wasn't encouraging a higher level of physicality from his bigs just to provoke. LMU did this as well.

MDABE80
03-01-2017, 09:22 PM
If I was Few, I wouldn't say a word about anything. I'd show up and just ravage the field. Nobody's business who's got this or that. This is business. Last games of the year. Do what must be done to win. Forget the chit chat.

CDC84
03-02-2017, 12:39 AM
If I was Few, I wouldn't say a word about anything.

And he won't, period. Not until he is forced to. Why? Because he never has and most coaches never do. They want the other team to have to speculate until just before tip about the status of the hurt player.

All the coaches do is give you a teaser....he might be back for the WCC tournament, we'll see.....I think they just do it to appease fans who are concerned it's a definitive season ending injury.

Malastein
03-02-2017, 02:18 AM
And he won't, period. Not until he is forced to. Why? Because he never has and most coaches never do. They want the other team to have to speculate until just before tip about the status of the hurt player.

All the coaches do is give you a teaser....he might be back for the WCC tournament, we'll see.....I think they just do it to appease fans who are concerned it's a definitive season ending injury.

I highly doubt that the Zags would have a loss if Tillie was healthy. Even early on, guys like Collins were calling him a glue guy. He's an important enough player at times that he's the difference between a #1 ranking and a #10 ranking.

Bogozags
03-02-2017, 07:03 AM
If I was Few, I wouldn't say a word about anything. I'd show up and just ravage the field. Nobody's business who's got this or that. This is business. Last games of the year. Do what must be done to win. Forget the chit chat.

Everyone, PLEASE accept my apologize as I didn't give enough thought to this thread, if I had it would not have been initiated.

JAGzag
03-02-2017, 07:11 AM

It seems like in years past we had more student posters who could offer inside info, those leaks have dried up. I mean not one post from a single student who heard Tillie say he can't wait to play this weekend? Just saying!

willandi
03-02-2017, 07:14 AM
One way or another, we will have a definative answer in less than 60 hours.

Personally, I want Tillie ready for the NCAA's. If that means not playing in the WCC's, I am fine with that. If it means limited play to get his timing back, so be it.

Is there a team in the WCC tournament that can provide a better challenge to Tillie than practicing against the Zags starting 5?

DixieZag
03-02-2017, 07:57 AM
I expect that they will be extremely conservative with Tillie and where he stands with his injury. Realistically, there is only one game at the WCC tournament that has any business even being close, and it's not until next Tuesday night.

Thus, unless he is 100% (doubtful), I don't see any upside to playing him at any point up until that Tuesday night game, and a conservative approach in that game makes more sense to me, too.

zaguarxj
03-02-2017, 08:04 AM
How long has it been? When I was a kid, I broke the 3rd and 4th metacarpals in my left hand and it was fine after 4 weeks in a cast. Every person and every injury is different but I'd be surprised if he misses more than 4 weeks, given my own experience.

I hurt myself playing that wonderfully pointless game called "maul ball" (and another less politically-correct name). Gosh we played a lot of violent games back then; buck-buck, red-rover, dodge-ball... We even made "sharks-and-fishes" extra-dangerous by playing in the deep end of the pool and insisting that you weren't captured unless brought to the surface.

Goshzagit
03-02-2017, 08:22 AM
How long has it been? When I was a kid, I broke the 3rd and 4th metacarpals in my left hand and it was fine after 4 weeks in a cast. Every person and every injury is different but I'd be surprised if he misses more than 4 weeks, given my own experience.

Injury occurred Wednesday, February 15th, in practice.

Thus, its only been 2.5 wks. Feels longer, I know.

I was initially told they wanted to keep his splint/brace for 3 wks, then up to him from there, as it was expected to heal quickly due to the nature of his fracture.

His fx won't be completely healed, but could be functional by week 3. Usually 4 to 6 wks for complete recovery with non displaced clean fractures, yet there have been athletes returning to activity after 3 wks via similar injury. All depends on how his x-rays (possibly CT) looks today.

My GUESS is Tillie will be ready to go by WCC Championship game.

I highly doubt we see him on Saturday, but maybe Tuesday...as that would mark the 3rd week of recovery.

My other GUESS is he's questionable for WCC Tourney, but probable for NCAA Tourney (which would be outstanding). There have been many games Tillie has had 3 or more fouls, which is actually a great thing for our depth.

Have an inkling we see him vs BYU next Tuesday night.

MDABE80
03-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Everyone, PLEASE accept my apologize as I didn't give enough thought to this thread, if I had it would not have been initiated.

Bogo.......it's nothing to apologize for. Not BIG DEAL. I'd LIKE TO KNOW TOO. I just know Few will say nothing. No worries;)

TravelinZag
03-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Doubt we'll know for certain until first week-end of the NCAAs. Any player not playing then suffered a season-ending injury, and we won't see them again this year. Cannot envision a player resurfacing for the Dance's second or third weekend unless he has no chance to play professionally anywhere.

At some point, a student has to give top priority to his own future. We must respect that choice.

Norwester
03-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Have an inkling we see him vs BYU next Tuesday night.

I see what you did there. :)

tampanjzag
03-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Tillie and Alberts are in roughly the same situation. They did some work in practice but have been kept out of contact drills. According to Jim Meehan.

Radbooks
03-02-2017, 05:55 PM
I don't know how to link this particular video, but Darnay Tripp from KREM has a video on his Twitter feed and Mark Few is saying both should play this weekend at some point. Here's a link to the Twitter feed, you may have to scroll down to find it! :)

https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp

Pallet
03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
I don't know how to link this particular video, but Darnay Tripp from KREM has a video on his Twitter feed and Mark Few is saying both should play this weekend at some point. Here's a link to the Twitter feed, you may have to scroll down to find it! :)

That's good news because Luke Winn pointed out that Tillie is part of the two most effective front court combos on the team by a decent margin. Tillie/Collins has the best defensive points per possession allowed and Tillie/Karno has the best offensive points per possession scored. Tillie/Collins is the best frontcourt duo by efficiency margin.

Link: SI Power Rankings (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/02/power-rankings-kansas-gonzaga-villanova-ucla)

Ekrub
03-02-2017, 08:29 PM
That's good news because Luke Winn pointed out that Tillie is part of the two most effective front court combos on the team by a decent margin. Tillie/Collins has the best defensive points per possession allowed and Tillie/Karno has the best offensive points per possession scored. Tillie/Collins is the best frontcourt duo by efficiency margin.

Link: SI Power Rankings (http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/02/power-rankings-kansas-gonzaga-villanova-ucla)

Good stuff by winn. Tillie collins is a fantastic combo- hope we see those two with NWG next year. I know the assumption is he is gone, but wiltjer came back, similar situations.

titopoet
03-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Here is the post with video of Few saying Tillie and Alberts seeign action;

https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/837483477368881152 (https://twitter.com/DarnayTripp/status/837483477368881152)

Zagger
03-04-2017, 03:06 AM
Good news. Even if Alberts and Tillie are in sparingly it's a great team morale booster - fan morale booster too :)
I really like both A & T and feel they'll both be needed to go deep in the Dance. I feel Alberts has gotten quite a bit better this season on D and just plain floor sense. Tillie is basically fearless and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

ZagnetitForce
03-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Good news. Even if Alberts and Tillie are in sparingly it's a great team morale booster - fan morale booster too :)
I really like both A & T and feel they'll both be needed to go deep in the Dance. I feel Alberts has gotten quite a bit better this season on D and just plain floor sense. Tillie is basically fearless and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I am a T man myself......not so much an A man but I understand the importance.

basketballzag
03-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Alberts is 1000% improved over last year and his defensive contributions & relief to starters is extremely important to this team. Plus no one has mentioned this year about Alberts improvement on the TO and Fouling stats. Hugh improvement which has been noticeable because Few has confidence in him now. He has undergone a Silas like transformation from last year imho. He isn't on Silas's level yet but he is becoming a stablizing force compared to last year.

Tillie--Rose knew Karno doesn't move past the perimeter without Tillie is in the lineup and he played that weakness to a T with Tillie out which is why our bigs where physically exhausted. In retrospect I think Fewco should have put Edwards in longer to spell the bigs relief and to give the perimeter defense more room to defend. Tillie is the most important cog on this team to win the NC or be bounced in the 2nd round.

sittingon50
03-04-2017, 10:15 AM

:rolleyes:

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Alberts is 1000% improved over last year and his defensive contributions & relief to starters is extremely important to this team. Plus no one has mentioned this year about Alberts improvement on the TO and Fouling stats. Hugh improvement which has been noticeable because Few has confidence in him now. He has undergone a Silas like transformation from last year imho. He isn't on Silas's level yet but he is becoming a stablizing force compared to last year.

Tillie--Rose knew Karno doesn't move past the perimeter without Tillie is in the lineup and he played that weakness to a T with Tillie out which is why our bigs where physically exhausted. In retrospect I think Fewco should have put Edwards in longer to spell the bigs relief and to give the perimeter defense more room to defend. Tillie is the most important cog on this team to win the NC or be bounced in the 2nd round.

I too think Alberts has improved, but to say his "relief to starters is extremely important to this team" makes no sense to me. Alberts is the 9th man, at best, on a team with an 8 man rotation when everyone is healthy. Neither he nor Edwards for that matter will play meaningful minutes in the postseason.

jazzdelmar
03-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Killian's a pro.

zag buddy
03-04-2017, 12:11 PM
agree with Jazz. He needs to stay healthy. His energy and physicality make him high risk for injury.

Mantua
03-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Was that hard foul he took tonight invited by the bandages? NWG seemed to be talking to Tillie about his hand at the end of the game. I hope he's ok.

ZagOD7540
03-04-2017, 09:43 PM
I noticed during a timeout Tillie was holding his hand kind of funny, while standing outside the huddle. Hopefully he didn't aggravate the finger

ZagaZags
03-04-2017, 09:47 PM
I noticed during a timeout Tillie was holding his hand kind of funny, while standing outside the huddle. Hopefully he didn't aggravate the finger

I saw that too. He did come back and play more after sitting after that timeout.

ProVeeZag
03-05-2017, 04:37 AM
:rolleyes:

+1 :rolleyes:

bartruff1
03-05-2017, 06:14 AM
Just having him play with one hand (or even one leg) is a yuge plus, his energy and aggressiveness are contagious ...

raise the zag
03-05-2017, 07:01 AM
Tillie said in post game interviews his hand is still broken, but "beginning to show signs of healing".

As noted on the board, it was his decision after it began healing. It won't be healed til end of March.

Kill also said it was sore and "hurts a bit, but I got to play, so its good".

Tough kid. It didn't seem to hold him back much, yet everyone should be hoping/praying his hand doesn't get hit hard in practice or games, it could just as easily fracture again.