PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Show - Senior Night and BYU

HRZag
03-01-2017, 10:07 AM
This thread has disappeared as of late. I guess it is just assumed everybody watches?

I thought this was an exceptional episode. I really appreciate our coach. Terrific piece with Shem. The "its not over" chant by the students. Just makes me really proud to be a Zag.

Go Zags!

sittingon50
03-01-2017, 10:22 AM
I avoided it Sunday Night, HRZ. Just wasn't in the mood to watch any "highlights."

bartruff1
03-01-2017, 10:43 AM
I have come to the conclusion that Mark is so close to the vest with his comments that he never says anything other than "coachspeak".....

Seattle_Zag
03-01-2017, 11:22 AM
I have come to the conclusion that Mark is so close to the vest with his comments that he never says anything other than "coachspeak".....

I disagree. He said BYU was a team we should take care of at home and talked about their losses to inferior WCC teams. I remember him taking a couple of other shots at BYU as well.

btzag
03-01-2017, 11:29 AM
I think Few is one of the most honest and open coaches in the game and super accurate in his assessment of games and players. I can't think of another coach that even comes close to him in this in any sport I follow. I mean go listen to coach k or calipari or romar or self for the opposite end of the spectrum.

bartruff1
03-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Coachspeak has nothing to do with being dishonest or inaccurate....it is about jargon......

Perhaps I missed it...did he say why this game turned out so different form the one in Provo....how the undefeated #1 team in the country..... and favored by 20+ points..... playing at home...... in one of the most supportive environments in all of college basketball lost ??

I can read the box score....the missed free throws, the turnovers, the lack of assists ...ect...

I was curious about what the game plan was.... why it didn't work.... what adjustments were made..... why they didn't work..., why they didn't or couldn't play inside out....why they couldn't stop Mika...why they didn't try to foul him out.......why he got a technical....why Goss disappeared at the end of the game...you know....inside stuff that only he knows...

Zagdawg
03-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Don't know too many coaches who go into detail about why their program lost a specific game-- sharing this information doesn't make sense for any program leadership as it can be a blueprint for future opponents to review.

Don't want to make it too easy on the competition.

MDABE80
03-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Coachspeak has nothing to do with being dishonest or inaccurate....it is about jargon......

Perhaps I missed it...did he say why this game turned out so different form the one in Provo....how the undefeated #1 team in the country..... and favored by 20+ points..... playing at home...... in one of the most supportive environments in all of college basketball lost ??

I can read the box score....the missed free throws, the turnovers, the lack of assists ...ect...

I was curious about what the game plan was.... why it didn't work.... what adjustments were made..... why they didn't work..., why they didn't or couldn't play inside out....why they couldn't stop Mika...why they didn't try to foul him out.......why he got a technical....why Goss disappeared at the end of the game...you know....inside stuff that only he knows...

Bart: I don't think he'd divulge things like that. Besides, the Box etc and the media after probably will be as much as we'll ever know. ALL worthy points of interest though.

bartruff1
03-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Calipari tells it....he wins a lot.....I find that both entertaining and informative .....

Goshzagit
03-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Microcosm of the night vs BYU:

Haws does a somewhat predictable/slow crossover and Silas Melson literally trips over his own feet, while trying to defend the shot. Haws nails the 25 ft 3pt shot while Silas falls over. That NEVER happened this season...credit to Haws for hitting the shot, but c'mon...Silas was slow to react, barely motivated, thus lunging to defend him late.

Case closed.

We'll never play defense like that again.

Also, look how many teams play "tight" on Senior night around the Country.

Heck, Kentucky was getting beat by 20 pts on their Sr night (too Vandy) before the refs and Monk got them back into it.

ProVeeZag
03-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Don't know too many coaches who go into detail about why their program lost a specific game-- sharing this information doesn't make sense for any program leadership as it can be a blueprint for future opponents to review.

Agree wholeheartedly. (Never understood why some leaders share military plans in the media for all the world to digest ahead of time. Unless it's dis-information.)

bartruff1
03-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Nonsense...often times the post game radio broadcast points many of those things out...fake news, sad

btzag
03-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Calipari tells it....he wins a lot.....I find that both entertaining and informative .....

And scandals follow him wherever he goes...I find that telling.

bartruff1
03-01-2017, 02:21 PM
I don't...it has nothing to do with the subject at hand..

Zagger
03-01-2017, 03:04 PM
It's called college basketball :)
I can't wait to see what the Zags have in store for their WCC foes in Vegas. Got a feeling they're going to be darn fired up. I also hope someone clobbers BYU before the Zags get a chance. I just don't like BYU and would much rather see a Zags/SMC game. We can pay BYU back next season.

Back to more on topic ..... I taped the Few show but got hooked on the Academy Awards then got too busy these last few days to watch Few. Will watch tonight and report back if I have a spin on the show worth ranting or raving about :)

Tmac5360
03-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Bart, he did comment that he was upset with himself for not getting your great insight. God knows that 19 year old kids are not allowed one bad game a season. If you listen to Silas and others they said over and over the adjustments were made but not executed. If you don't like it root for somebody else. Try for the one minute to enjoy this team man. Just try!!!

gonzagafan62
03-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Microcosm of the night vs BYU:

Haws does a somewhat predictable/slow crossover and Silas Melson literally trips over his own feet, while trying to defend the shot. Haws nails the 25 ft 3pt shot while Silas falls over. That NEVER happened this season...credit to Haws for hitting the shot, but c'mon...Silas was slow to react, barely motivated, thus lunging to defend him late.

Case closed.

We'll never play defense like that again.

Heck, Kentucky was getting beat by 20 pts on their Sr night (too Vandy) before the refs and Monk got them back into it.

Yup. Exactly. Nothing else needs to be said

gonzagafan62
03-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Again. Yes. Exactly. Sure podtgane radio points it out, but again doesn't mean much

bartruff1
03-01-2017, 06:02 PM
No need to be snarky....I am enjoying this team like I have every other one for 60 years....

I don't think offering some explanation is any criticism of the team or the coaches...or any threat to future game plans....the opposition coaches have the films, they break them down , they know what happened...

You can have the last word if you want it, I have said all I intend to on the subject...

Zagceo
03-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Bart, he did comment that he was upset with himself for not getting your great insight. God knows that 19 year old kids are not allowed one bad game a season. If you listen to Silas and others they said over and over the adjustments were made but not executed. If you don't like it root for somebody else. Try for the one minute to enjoy this team man. Just try!!!

Because someone is interested in asking questions doesn't mean they're not enjoying the season.

For your information Bart is one of Coach Fews strongest supporters. No need to read into his motive.

And why do you think the players couldn't execute the adjustments?

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I watched it and heard Coach Few speak very directly about the late turnovers, missed shots, missed free throws and giving up a key offensive rebound down the stretch as reasons why Zags lost. What I was very surprised and disappointed about not hearing was even the slightest mention of something I often hear coaches say after a loss: nobody on our team had a good game tonight, not the coaches or the players. Some coaches try to deflect criticism of their players by saying " we didn't do a good enough job of having our guys prepare" or "we didn't make the right adjustments".

Even when/if a team loses simply because players missed shots or had key turnovers etc., it's refreshing when a coach tries to shoulder some of the blame for the sake of his players. Coach Few definitely did not do that.

CDC84
03-02-2017, 12:35 AM

This is why it would be nice, for a change, to get a cellar dweller in for senior night. It also allows coach to play some of the back of the rotation seniors a bit more. That's more likely to happen with some other team in the house besides BYU, SMC, etc.

kitzbuel
03-02-2017, 03:55 AM
Nonsense...often times the post game radio broadcast points many of those things out...fake news, sad
I would not call it fake news. Different coaches have different personalities and approaches. Some of the most successful coaches every are uninformative or even deceptive with their pronouncements; Shanahan, Belicheck.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Zagger
03-02-2017, 04:01 AM
I was hoping Few would have said he should have put Rem back in. Zags were at their best with Rem on the floor. ;-) Go Rem! Go Zags!

b-dog
03-02-2017, 06:25 AM

Simple...this particular game we were out coached and out played!

JAGzag
03-02-2017, 07:15 AM
I was hoping Few would have said he should have put Rem back in. Zags were at their best with Rem on the floor. ;-) Go Rem! Go Zags!

Does this make him 0-1 as a starter? Rough end to the career!