PDA

View Full Version : WCC Awards

Angelo Roncalli
02-28-2017, 10:16 AM
WCC Names Williams-Goss Player of the Year and Few Coach of the Year
Zags rack up West Coast Conference postseason accolades

SAN BRUNO, Calif. – Nigel Williams-Goss was named the West Coast Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Year and Newcomer of the Year, and Mark Few was selected as the Coach of the Year league officials announced Tuesday.

Przemek Karnowski and Johnathan Williams joined Williams-Goss on the WCC First Team. Zach Collins was named to the second team and freshman team. Jordan Mathews and Josh Perkins were tabbed honorable mention All-Conference.

Few extended his own conference record, capturing his 11th Coach of the Year plaque. He was last named Coach of the Year in 2015, when the Zags went 35-3 overall and 17-1 in WCC play, and finished the season in the Elite Eight. Few has guided the Bulldogs to a phenomenal 29-1 record thus far, which marks their 10th straight season with at least 25 wins. He also led GU to its fifth straight WCC regular season title. Gonzaga had its second number-one ranking in program history this season.

Williams-Goss is the 14th Zag to be named the conference’s Player of the Year. Kevin Pangos was the latest in 2015. Kyle Wiltjer was the last Gonzaga player to be selected as the WCC Newcomer of the Year also in 2015.

A national finalist for the Naismith Trophy, the Oscar Robertson Award and the Wooden Award, Williams-Goss turned in a magical season for Gonzaga as it reached No. 1 in both national polls for the second time in program history (2013). The Cousy Award finalist averaged 17.9 points, 5.6 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.8 steals per game during WCC play and ranks among active Division I national leaders in assists (30th/455) and turnover/assist ratio (29th/1.9). The Happy Valley, Ore. native tops the WCC at 90.9 percent from the free-throw line. He has made 73 of his 79 free-throws in WCC play, including his last 38 straight free-throws.

In addition to being the first student-athlete named Player and Newcomer of the Year in WCC history, Williams-Goss also performed in the classroom. A 2014 Academic All-American while at Washington, the psychology major earned CoSIDA First Team Academic All-District 8 honors and was selected to the WCC All-Academic First Team, while posting a 3.84 GPA.

Karnowski was named All-WCC First Team for the second time in his career, receiving the honor in 2014-5, after being named honorable mention in 2013-14 and to the All-Freshman team in 2012-13. He is averaging 12.4 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. He is third in the conference shooting 60.6 percent from the field. The redshirt senior is also adding nearly a block each game. Karnowski tops the WCC with his 65.3 field goal percentage in conference play. This season, he became the program's all-time leader in wins in a career, now at 129.

Williams is averaging 10.1 points and a team-high 6.5 rebounds per game. He is shooting 60.4 percent from the field. In conference play, the redshirt junior is second in the league making 62 percent from the field. On defense, he has 29 blocks this season, which is second on the team.

Collins leads the team with 48 blocked shots this season, with an average of 1.6 per game, which ranks third in the WCC. The freshman is averaging 10.5 points in in 17.5 minutes per game. He is second on the team with six boards a game, 6.7 during conference action.

Mathews has made a team-high 63 three-pointers this season and is seventh in the league averaging 2.1 made three-pointers per game. He is making 39 percent of his shots from behind-the-arc. The senior is adding 10.4 points per game for the Zags.

Perkins has dished out 106 assists this season, an average of 3.7 per game, which ranks eighth in the conference. He is also eighth in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio at 1.6. In WCC play, Perkins is averaging four assists per game. The redshirt sophomore is scoring 9.1 points per contest. On the defensive side, he is averaging a steal in each game.

Saint Mary’s Joe Rahon collected the WCC Defensive Player of the Year honor. He was joined by teammates Calvin Hermanson and Jock Landale on the league’s first team.

All four individual awards – along with the All-West Coast Conference Teams and the All-Freshman Team – were voted on by the league’s 10 head coaches.

The West Coast Conference Championships begins Friday in Las Vegas, Nev. The tournament, played inside the Orleans Arena, concludes with the championship game on March 7.

2016-17 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Major Individual Honors
Player of the Year: Nigel Williams-Goss, Gonzaga
Coach of the Year: Mark Few, Gonzaga
Defensive Player of the Year: Joe Rahon, Saint Mary’s
Newcomer of the Year: Nigel Williams-Goss, Gonzaga

2016-17 All-WCC Men’s Basketball First Team
Name Yr. Pos. School
Jared Brownridge Sr. G Santa Clara
TJ Haws Fr. G BYU
Calvin Hermanson Jr. F Saint Mary’s
Przemek Karnowski Sr. C Gonzaga
Jock Landale Jr. C Saint Mary’s
Eric Mika So. C BYU
Lamond Murray Jr. Sr. G Pepperdine
Joe Rahon Sr. G Saint Mary’s
Johnathan Williams Jr. F Gonzaga
Nigel Williams-Goss Jr. G Gonzaga

2016-17 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Second Team
Name Yr. Pos. School
Brett Bailey Sr. F San Diego
Ronnie Boyce III Sr. G San Francisco
Brandon Brown Sr. G Loyola Marymount
Zach Collins Fr. C Gonzaga
KJ Feagin So. G Santa Clara

2016-17 WCC Men’s Basketball Honorable Mention Selections
Olin Carter III, San Diego; Jazz Johnson, Portland; Nate Kratch, Santa Clara; Jordan Mathews, Gonzaga; Emmett Naar, Saint Mary’s; Josh Perkins, Gonzaga; Chris Reyes, Pepperdine; Buay Tuach, Loyola Marymount; T.J. Wallace, Pacific; Alec Wintering, Portland

2016-17 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Freshman Team
Name Pos. School
Yoeli Childs F BYU
Zach Collins C Gonzaga
TJ Haws G BYU
Charles Minlend G San Francisco
Jordan Ratinho G San Francisco

Zagceo
02-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Congrats to all.

First time first year player has won WCC player of the year?

VinnyZag
02-28-2017, 10:44 AM
I've honestly never noticed Rahon as a defender, either way. Maybe he's great and I just never noticed. Still, I'm surprised Karnowski wasn't defensive POY (assuming they did the votes before Mika lit him up on Saturday).

Also of note: Of the 10-player first-team all-league group, only Brownridge and Murray Jr. are from schools outside the WCC Big Three.

Zag_Dad
02-28-2017, 10:48 AM
With all due respect, is Joe Rahon a better defender than Silas Melson? Hard for me to see that through my Gonzaga colored glasses. Congratulations to all.

sittingon50
02-28-2017, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Zag_Dad;1292844]With all due respect, is Joe Rahon a better defender than Silas Melson?

I don't believe he is, but....

btzag
02-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Agree with most of these picks but yeah Rahon is interesting. Also Perkins and Matthews are 2nd team level for sure. I know votes get spread around but no USD player belongs anywhere higher than honorable mention.

sittingon50
02-28-2017, 11:33 AM
I know votes get spread around but no USD player belongs anywhere higher than honorable mention.

Will have to disagree btz. Can't get on the WCC site @ the moment to look at league only stats, but ESPN's all-season stats would be in the ballpark. USD's Brett Bailey finished 6th in scoring (right behind NWG) & 6th in rebounding (2 spots ahead of JWIII). As he no doubt got game-planned for as the only weapon on a bad team, I think he belongs.

bartruff1
02-28-2017, 11:37 AM
I would have given the Coach award to Smith, because IMHO he did more with less (would have given it to Few Last season).....and I wouldn't trade any of our guards for Haws...even though he pretty much owned them last Sat....

kitzbuel
02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Traditionally, WCC uses Defensive Player of the Year as the runner up POY award.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

CDC84
02-28-2017, 11:53 AM
7 of the top 8 players in GU's main rotation get awards, and college basketball analysts all over the nation continue to laugh themselves silly over the WCC's insistence on having a 10 man first team.

Mr Vulture
02-28-2017, 11:57 AM
I don't think that is the case this year as I think Jock Landale was clearly the best player on St Marys. I don't get the love for Calvin Hermanson, by the way. I would have had Brett Bailey 1st team over him.

PeninsulaDog
02-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Will have to disagree btz. Can't get on the WCC site @ the moment to look at league only stats, but ESPN's all-season stats would be in the ballpark. USD's Brett Bailey finished 6th in scoring (right behind NWG) & 6th in rebounding (2 spots ahead of JWIII). As he no doubt got game-planned for as the only weapon on a bad team, I think he belongs.

Amazon experiencing massive outage -- WCC hosted by Amazon.

sittingon50
02-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Amazon experiencing massive outage -- WCC hosted by Amazon.

Thanks PD. Just thought the WCC site might be overloaded with the announcement of the awards.

MDABE80
02-28-2017, 12:36 PM
I hope Josh gets better. He's got 2 years to do it. It's not his numbers. It's the play.
BUT everyone but if Karno comes back, we're no 1 again. I'm thinking. We'll
have a big fight on our hands with BYU for a few years. Same with SMC.
Congrats to those boys who did so well this year and represented the University as well as they could. No 1 in my book;)

Unexpected player= Jon Williams III. The very best unsung hero we've had in a while. Special shouts to him.

maynard g krebs
02-28-2017, 12:55 PM
I hope Josh gets better. He's got 2 years to do it. It's not his numbers. It's the play.

What, specifically, do you mean about his play? I started a thread asking this question, and no one really had a response. I'm genuinely curious about what his bashers think, and no one seems able or willing to explain it.

I just looked up the sainted NWG's soph year at UW. Five and thirteen in league play, with about a 1.5 a/to ratio and a modest shooting %. I attribute a lot of that to playing alongside Andrew Andrews. NWG is thriving playing alongside Josh. None of this happens in a vacuum, nor does 29-1, 1 on Kenpom, projected 1 seed.

A former GU player posts positively on Josh here, as does a former hs coach, to name a couple. I agree with them, as does the record, and our "eye tests". When eye tests (subjective opinions) disagree, I think you have to go to the data. If Josh was as his detractors say, the team wouldn't have been able to achieve any of what it has, a bad last 30 seconds v BYU aside. And he wouldn't have joined the very short list of 4 year starters for a demanding, perfectionist coach.

Bogozags
02-28-2017, 04:32 PM
What, specifically, do you mean about his play? I started a thread asking this question, and no one really had a response. I'm genuinely curious about what his bashers think, and no one seems able or willing to explain it.

I just looked up the sainted NWG's soph year at UW. Five and thirteen in league play, with about a 1.5 a/to ratio and a modest shooting %. I attribute a lot of that to playing alongside Andrew Andrews. NWG is thriving playing alongside Josh. None of this happens in a vacuum, nor does 29-1, 1 on Kenpom, projected 1 seed.

A former GU player posts positively on Josh here, as does a former hs coach, to name a couple. I agree with them, as does the record, and our "eye tests". When eye tests (subjective opinions) disagree, I think you have to go to the data. If Josh was as his detractors say, the team wouldn't have been able to achieve any of what it has, a bad last 30 seconds v BYU aside. And he wouldn't have joined the very short list of 4 year starters for a demanding, perfectionist coach.

Congratulations to our ZAGS for their receiving these great individual awards...just thought Silas should have been DPOY...

I am tired of hearing about the last 30 seconds and how Josh had two deterimental TO's but had we made our free throw percentage, those TO's would not have been a factor IMO...just saying enough already...let's just enjoy what we have NOW!

btzag
02-28-2017, 05:56 PM

Well those type of stats are definitely deserving. I was just going off the games I saw (gu/sd) and maybe our bigs were so good he, and the whole usd team, looked poor in comparison. Just kind of funny that two super talented guards like Perkins and Matthews are honorable mention.

Zagceo
02-28-2017, 09:39 PM
WCC Names Williams-Goss Player of the Year

Williams-Goss is the 14th Zag to be named the conference’s Player of the Year

looks like we have 15

Gonzaga now claims the most winners with 15

LINK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Player_of_t he_Year)

sittingon50
02-28-2017, 10:58 PM
looks like we have 15

LINK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Player_of_t he_Year)

Semantics maybe? 15th time awarded to a Zag, but 14 Zags, as Stepp won it twice.

ZagaZags
03-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Who won the Freshman of the Year trophy?

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1cn_zJVXXXXaIXFXXq6xXFXXXP/Movie-Lord-of-the-Rings-Gollum-Brozen-Statue-the-Golden-Model-The-Hobbit-Figure-15CM.jpg