PDA

View Full Version : Courtside: Zags' Loss, Bruins' Win, Nova's Wright.

ZagaZags
02-27-2017, 11:29 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=i/espnradio/logos/courtside_1x1.jpg?w=300&h=300

Nice podcast with Andy Katz & Seth Greenberg. Enjoy.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=18780884

MDABE80
02-27-2017, 11:48 PM
I listened to it earlier today. Both think GU's holding it's no 1 seed but if we stumble, that's gone. Likewise, UCLA runs the table, we're likely to be in trouble.
It's really one of those things generated on Saturday for us. BUT I just can't imagine any of the PAC 12 leaders running the table. Somebody's going to get a loss or two.

CDC84
02-28-2017, 08:13 AM
I don't know about UCLA........unless Oregon and Arizona stumble, they won't win the Pac 12 regular season title. Depends on how much the committee values the regular season or the tournament.

TexasZagFan
02-28-2017, 09:35 AM
I listened to it earlier today. Both think GU's holding it's no 1 seed but if we stumble, that's gone. Likewise, UCLA runs the table, we're likely to be in trouble.
It's really one of those things generated on Saturday for us. BUT I just can't imagine any of the PAC 12 leaders running the table. Somebody's going to get a loss or two.

Mark Hollis was fairly adamant about the four #1 seeds, and I recall him saying that 1 loss would not be enough to drop the Zags to a 2. We need to win the tournament in Vegas...convincingly. Put the speculation to rest, enter the Dance on a positive note.

Bogozags
02-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Mark Hollis was fairly adamant about the four #1 seeds, and I recall him saying that 1 loss would not be enough to drop the Zags to a 2. We need to win the tournament in Vegas...convincingly. Put the speculation to rest, enter the Dance on a positive note.

TZF do you really believe that a #1 seed is that important? Won't a #2 seed put us in SLC, which is what we want? Is the #1 seed more psychological thing than something we must have to win?

Just wondering...as I don't think that the seed makes the team succeed but rather the heart of the team that makes it succeed at any seed level...

Look forward to your thoughts...

maynard g krebs
02-28-2017, 08:17 PM
I don't know about UCLA........unless Oregon and Arizona stumble, they won't win the Pac 12 regular season title. Depends on how much the committee values the regular season or the tournament.

If UCLA wins the league tourney w/ 3 reg season losses, they'd be 2-1 v both Oregon and Az. They also played both twice, and UO-UA just played each other once, so they had the toughest league sched. I see it as basically a 3 way tie w/ the league tourney as the tie breaker.

TexasZagFan
03-01-2017, 05:19 AM
TZF do you really believe that a #1 seed is that important? Won't a #2 seed put us in SLC, which is what we want? Is the #1 seed more psychological thing than something we must have to win?

Just wondering...as I don't think that the seed makes the team succeed but rather the heart of the team that makes it succeed at any seed level...

Whether it's a 1 or a 2, it matters little to me, Bogo. The point I'm stressing is what I gleaned from the Committee Chairman's exact words on the seeding show on CBS. As everyone can recall, the initial seedings were announced hours before we beat St. Mary's in Moraga.

IMHO, we have only one demon left to exorcise: an appearance in a Final Four. Until that happens, we're just a nice story in the annals of college basketball history.

Frankly, we have fewer questions/doubts about our team than 65-66 teams that will be in the Dance. Did BYU expose us? I don't think so. Boredom exposed us, and we were a team that lost its identity in the second half. I'll continue to scratch my head as to why our bigs were ignored in the second half. We are an inside-out team, period.

My focus is on the WCC tournament, our first chance to respond to the defeat, then it's on to the Dance. Nothing else matters.

VaBeachZAG
03-01-2017, 02:45 PM

True, a 2 gets the Zags in SLC. But I think a 2 makes the Zags more vulnerable to Committee mischief if they make it to the second weekend. Do we really want the Zags to be playing the second weekend in the East? With a 1 seed the only way the Zags might have to leave the West is if the Pac 12 champ also got a 1 seed. Just look at some of the ridiculous places the Committee put the Zags in the past (e.g., Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc.). These locations put the Zags right in to the back yard of Davidson, WVU and Syracuse, respectively.