PDA

View Full Version : Parrish - WCC Preview

ZagNative
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
WCC Preview: Bulldogs conquer this bull market (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10414597)
Gary Parrish Oct. 17, 2007
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Gonzaga :

I went to the WCC website to gather statistics and such and realized the official preseason poll, as voted on by the league's coaches, had been released. To my surprise, Saint Mary's received three first-place votes. Which is crazy. And I like Saint Mary's. But why anybody would think the team that has won this league the past seven seasons -- and returns stars like Josh Heytvelt, Jeremy Pargo and Matt Bouldin -- will not win this league this season is beyond comprehension. Voting for anybody not called Gonzaga is silly, kinda like how Steve Spurrier always opens the season by putting Duke on his preseason football ballot. It's cute. But that doesn't make it any less wrong.

Parrish's Projected League finish:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/820/predictedwccfinishqv8.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5664/firstteamwccparrishfo5.jpg

Rubbadub
10-17-2007, 08:50 AM
It's cute.

That's exactly what I said.

MickMick
10-17-2007, 09:06 AM
This should have the other WCC message boards hoppin.

brasszag
10-17-2007, 12:15 PM
I think Parrish is offbase on St Mary's though. I think they have an excellent chance to be an NIT team, and if they get a couple signature OOC wins maybe can sneak an at-large.

That is a very good team down at SMC, and very underrated I think.

The Oregon Spike
10-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Gonzaga's second unit alone would be the 3rd best team in the WCC.

former1dog
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Not a game has been played, but I would pencil Austin Daye in as the newcomer of the year.

ZaggyStardust
10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Not a game has been played, but I would pencil Austin Daye in as the newcomer of the year.

Actually, how about IRA! I think newcomer of the year is usually for transfers... Austin for Frosh of the year is my bet!

sittingon50
10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Lowhorn was pretty decent for Bobby Knight. His problem I think is he won't have much help.

lothar98zag
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Actually, how about IRA! I think newcomer of the year is usually for transfers... Austin for Frosh of the year is my bet!
The WCC got rid of the freshman of the year award a few years ago and replaced it w/ newcomer of the year. The WCC does have an all-freshman team.

ZaggyStardust
10-17-2007, 03:13 PM
The WCC got rid of the freshman of the year award a few years ago and replaced it w/ newcomer of the year. The WCC does have an all-freshman team.

Thanks for that Lothar - wasn't aware. So does that mean the Newcomer is either a frosh or a transfer?

El Voce
10-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for that Lothar - wasn't aware. So does that mean the Newcomer is either a frosh or a transfer?

Yes.

BobZag
10-17-2007, 03:32 PM
WCC Preview: Bulldogs conquer this bull market (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10414597)
Gary Parrish Oct. 17, 2007
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Gonzaga :

I went to the WCC website to gather statistics and such and realized the official preseason poll, as voted on by the league's coaches, had been released. To my surprise, Saint Mary's received three first-place votes. Which is crazy. And I like Saint Mary's. But why anybody would think the team that has won this league the past seven seasons -- and returns stars like Josh Heytvelt, Jeremy Pargo and Matt Bouldin -- will not win this league this season is beyond comprehension. Voting for anybody not called Gonzaga is silly, kinda like how Steve Spurrier always opens the season by putting Duke on his preseason football ballot. It's cute. But that doesn't make it any less wrong.

Parrish's Projected League finish:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/820/predictedwccfinishqv8.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5664/firstteamwccparrishfo5.jpg

If SMC takes care of business ooc, I think they'll go to postseason. I think they have a good chance.

I see Pepp finishing as high as 3rd. I'd move them up and the others down a notch.

Thought Josh may deserve POY, I doubt he'll be voted as POY. Pargo is more likely, imo.

Samhan is better than Bryant.

Patrick Mills, Tyrone Shelley, Austin Daye are three who will also be in the Newcomer of the Year conversation.

If Bouldin makes the typical frosh-to-soph jump, ala Pargo, he'll have a nice breakthrough year.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Micah. If he can continue where he left off from last season, he'd have to be in the conversation.

GaelBaller
10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Gonzaga's second unit alone would be the 3rd best team in the WCC.

Really funny. Just try to come down to Moraga and play with that type of arrogance. Pat Mills, Simpson and Omar beg to differ.

ZaggyStardust
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Really funny. Just try to come down to Moraga and play with that type of arrogance. Pat Mills, Simpson and Omar beg to differ.

WOW Gael - chill would ya! Did you actually READ the post... i.e. third best?

Did you also notice that many posters here are giving props to your team.... Guess you forgot to comment on that point!

BobZag
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM

:boxing: %@#&^!!

jpwils
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Downs will be borderline first team All-WCC at small forward-and will average 17 points per game.

And if for some reason downs gets injured, Pendo will continue where he leaves off. But I am saying Downs should be pre-season All-WCC because he has produced more than Lowhorn, even though Lowhorn will be a stud.

Also Patrick Mills will have a huge year for SMC at point guard.

pbriz
10-17-2007, 05:21 PM

considering that pargo, bouldin, pendo, micah, and heytvelt start....

our 2nd lineup would be something like.....

Gray, Larry/Ira, Daye, Kuso/THeo, and Sacre/Will

I dont think it would be COMPLETELY offbase to think that those players could compete.

Is Mills better than Gray?

Is Simpson better than Austin?

Is Samhan better than Theo, Kuso, Will or Sacre?

I would definitely give St. Marys the edge on those three players but there are 5 on the floor .

Would you pick Yusef Smith over one of our bigs?

Or Wayne Hunter over LG or Ira?

All I am saying is that this game wouldn't be a flop, I give the edge to St. Marys for sure but I would only give them a spread of 5-7 points.

jpwils
10-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Mills will outperform Angley in WCC play.

Watch out for Rico Tucker from Pepperdine as well.

Watch out for Orlando Johnson from LMU ,too.

jpwils
10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
IF SMC finishes second, I do not see Lowhorn picked over Simpson or
Bryant picked over Samhan.

Quezada maybe over Mills depending on overall contribution all season.

That is not to say Lowhorn and Bryant won't have solid seasons...just saying Simpson and Samhan will be bigger contributors head to head against SCU
and USF.

I'm sure many out there will disagree with me.

lothar98zag
10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
remember - the WCC picks a single 10 person All-WCC team. There is no 1st or 2nd team.

btw, I'm glad to see more non-GU fans come out of hiding - it is a sure sign that the games are about to start!

Nevtelen
10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I have to think that Lowhorn will have the best chance at Newcomer of the Year - he's going to be one of 2 real go-to-guys on the USF team. Lowhorn and Quezada will probably be the big scorers for them. Even though I'm sure Lowhorn will see defenses key on him, he should be good enough to put up numbers that would make him NoY over guys like Daye, who will be surrounded by so many other great players or Mills who will share scoring duties with Simpson and Samhan and will still have to adjust to D-I. All 3 of those players will have to be in the conversation, though.

I really hope SMC can get an at-large, but IMO they'd have to win against either Oregon or Texas in the OOC (as well as not have any bad losses) and probably beat GU once as well (or win vs both Oregon and Texas, which is unlikely). It also depends on who they get in Bracket Busters. I honestly think they have a pretty good chance of handing it to Oregon in Moraga (especially because it's early in the season), but who knows about the rest yet...

cair3
10-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Lowhorn is a great bball player, an undersized PF that can shot it well from deep. He has a body similar to IRA! brown and rebounds with the best of them. I would not be surprised to see him in contention for POY.

Although I think Daye has a better chance to one day be WCC POY and a lottery pick, right now I picture steven gray as having a better chance to have a large impact this year. I just see steven having more of a role on this years team with less depth at his position. The one thing that might hold him back is he may be a little too unselfish (ala PMAC), I predict that if gray averages 12 minutes he will only average 2 shot attempts. On the other hand look to see Daye act more like AMMO in his scoring mentality, I predict that if daye averages 7 minutes he will also average 5 shot attempts.

I think this is the strongest WCC since 2004-2005 season with GU leading the way, SMC, USF in the next tear followed by USD, and PEPP in the third tier. The fourth tier will be LMU and SCU followed by the lowly pilots.

Santa Clara, LMU, and Pepp all have solid new coaches that will have their programs improving. Right now I would rank the programs in terms of future success in this order
1. GU (with Few and our reputation we are above the pack)
2. SMC (solid program but more stagnant than the rest)
3. Santa Clara (great hire will compete with stanford for recruits)
4. Pepp (love that they signed tinsley, success will come)
5. LMU (good hire in lute olsons assistant, they are being hurt by USC's emergence)
6. USF (must compete with CAL for recruits, always has talented transfers but cant put together an overachieving season)
7. USD (I'm sorry to put Grier so low, but they have had a good coach for the past so many years and havent been able to rise in success. I hope Grier can take them to a higher level but San Diego fans just dont give that program much support despite nice facilities).
8. SU (seattle U right now has more upside than Portland and they are just starting the process of joining D1 ball. Good tradition, will play games at the Key arena, If the Sonics leave they will be able to steal some non husky bball fans. I like this program's future and hope the WCC lets it join despite all the reasons not to)
9. Portland, they are failing to do much of much, I dont see them finishing in the top 4 anytime soon. Oregon players wont play for Oregon or Ost. let alone Portland. They have some elements of Gonzaga working for them but they need a group of coaches like the ones we had in the early 90's to kickstart the program. Plus I dont see the Purple Pilots as a very marketable brand. On the bright side they are dominant players in soccer.

PS. I think the WCC should require all schools to build soccer arenas and be known as the soccer capital in america. If we dont have football we should have something to go see in the fall. I would tail gate for soccer games. The last one I saw our men's team lose in overtime 0-1 to USD and it was a sweet game to watch. There is an untapped market in america and the WCC could be the conference to take advantage of it.

beatsc
10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
MJGoGAELS, Well done.

I have not seen Mr. Baller at the GAEL site.

I have had season tickets for the GAELS for 10 years and welcome seeing the ZAGS play every year. Every time Turiaf stepped on the floor, he scared me and Viotette was a great player. Matt Bouldin is a favorite to watch now. He is a special player.

Good luck with the coming season. It will be special for the league. I hope we can get two teams in the show. Either way, it will be fun to see the ZAGS play in Moraga for the next few years.

Best of luck ZAGS!

We should all get together for a pre game social when you all come down!

beatsc