PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis Inside Scouting report On Gonzaga

Pallet
02-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Anonymous scouting report from Seth Davis. Looks pretty spot on to me, each negative happened on Saturday, the team got lackadaisical, pretty much everyone had an off night, and BYU hit jump shots galore.

Link: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/27/big-east-sec-pac-12-scouting-reports-ncaa-tournament

West Coast Conference

Gonzaga

“I don’t know if they can guard the perimeter. I worry about that in a one-game scenario against elite teams. They’re just solid, man. Nigel [Williams-Goss] gives them great poise. He’s the same kind of leader they had with Kevin Pangos. [Przemek] Karnowski doesn’t get enough credit. You’ve gotta rim run with him. He’s a big old dude but he runs, man. People try to bring him out on pick-and-rolls, but he can get out there. He allows [Johnathan] Williams to roam. This is the best year [Josh] Perkins has had since he’s been there. The greatest strength is their balance. Plus, they’re experienced. Williams is their X factor because he’s their most versatile defender. They tend to get lackadaisical at times. There will be three or four-minute stretches where you can get whatever you want. They’re so deep that it would take a whole bunch of guys playing bad for them to have a bad night.”

CDC84
02-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Seth has a great feature around this time of year where he goes out and speaks to several coaches in a particular league about another team in their league who is really good. It gives you an inside scout regarding the team. Of course, to get the best info, Seth doesn't reveal the name of the coaches

I have no idea who Seth went to in the WCC, but I am confused....apparently some of the coaches in the league feel that GU's guards are not good defensively and could really struggle defensively against elite teams. The reason why I find this puzzling is that I think it is almost impossible to be in the top 5 in the nation in defensive efficiency, and be in the top 5 in all of these other defensive categories (including 3 pt. defensive FG %), and have guards who aren't able to guard at an high level. And I don't even think that perimeter defensive issues with the guards were one of the main problems with the team on Saturday. The could've defended better, but to list it as the first thing about the team........Rose's team is basically the only team that has shot well on GU during the entire conference season. It's just one game.

Anyway, here is the link:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/27/big-east-sec-pac-12-scouting-reports-ncaa-tournament

Gonzaga

“I don’t know if they can guard the perimeter. I worry about that in a one-game scenario against elite teams. They’re just solid, man. Nigel [Williams-Goss] gives them great poise. He’s the same kind of leader they had with Kevin Pangos. [Przemek] Karnowski doesn’t get enough credit. You’ve gotta rim run with him. He’s a big old dude but he runs, man. People try to bring him out on pick-and-rolls, but he can get out there. He allows [Johnathan] Williams to roam. This is the best year [Josh] Perkins has had since he’s been there. The greatest strength is their balance. Plus, they’re experienced. Williams is their X factor because he’s their most versatile defender. They tend to get lackadaisical at times. There will be three or four-minute stretches where you can get whatever you want. They’re so deep that it would take a whole bunch of guys playing bad for them to have a bad night.”

St. Mary's

“If you don’t go for pump fakes and stay down, they don’t have guys who can beat you off the dribble. They’re like a boxer who is always trying to counterpunch you. If you make a mistake, they stick you in the eye. I don’t know if their guys are selfish enough sometimes. [Jock] Landale is tough as heck. It’s better not to double team him and just dig and stay at home, because if you double him you get into rotation, and he finds shooters.

They’re kind of like a pack line team defensively. They limit you to one shot. Everybody rebounds, including the guards. That’s a big thing for them. But they’ll have problems with quick guards. Look at what UT-Arlington did to them. It’s obvious Randy doesn’t trust his bench. You have to make Joe Rahon finish as best you can, because he’s a pass-first guy. Calvin Hermanson is an elite shooter with size and a quick release. You want to get him to put it on the floor. A really athletic team can get them in positions where they have to take hard shots. They’re not a hard-shot-making team, they’re an easy-shot-making team.”

Oregon

“The thing they do best is play hard. They have some tough dudes. They look more like an east coast style team. [Dillon] Brooks is definitely capable of hitting jump shots and threes, but you’d rather him do that than get a head of steam downhill. He’s not super athletic, but he’s strong, and he’s got that power jump. [Chris] Boucher brings a different element to their team. He gives them that stretch four. On misses, they fall back to man to man, and on makes they fall back to matchup zone. When they are guarding well, they can beat anybody in the country, but they haven’t always been consistent with it. Their backcourt is very underrated. Those guys have toughness, they make big shots, they don’t turn it over. Their depth is impressive. I mean, Kavell Bigby-Williams is their fourth post guy, and he was the national junior college player of the year. They can go through some stretches on offense where they’re not making shots on the perimeter. Their game at Cal, they had 16 at halftime. They try to throw it to [Jordan] Bell, but he’s not a natural low post scorer. Boucher is not at all a post up guy. So they tend to fall in love with the jump shot.”

Arizona

“They’re not a bunch of guys with the agendas, which hasn’t always been the case, like when Stanely Johnson was there. Sean does a great job keeping those guys grounded. Consistent outside shooting can be a problem for them. They’re zone-able. Nobody talks about how good [Dusan] Ristic is. He’s a load down low. [Lauri] Markkanen just keeps getting better. He can stretch the floor, but he’s getting better around the basket. Markkanen moves fairly well but he’s not super quick, so you want to try to take your chances with him putting it on the floor.

They have unusual depth in the post. This is not a knock on Sean, but they’re very predictable. He’s not a big in-game adjuster. Hopefully you have someone with size you can put on [Allonzo] Trier, because he’s big and he’s really good. You want to try to make [point guard Parker] Jackson-Cartwright score and not draw help, or else he’s kicking it guys who can make plays. Even though his shooting percentages are better, as a shooter he’d be low on the list of priorities when you’re game planning against them.”

gonzagafan62
02-27-2017, 10:36 AM
We guard the perimeter fine.

I agree with the lackadaisical analogy.... that does seem to fit.... other than that looks pretty good. Don't see many weaknesses cuz there aren't any really

btzag
02-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Huh. That all doesn't really line up with the on-court results of leading games from tip to finish and overall margin of victory....plus our defensive statistics are pretty amazing even on the perimeter.

Personally think that 'scouting report' is crap but great bulletin board material for the team!

LongIslandZagFan
02-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Saturday, JMHO, was a perfect storm. Defense was off... Offense was off (even though they scored 71)... they turned the ball over... they missed FTs. They have that kind of game in the tourney they get blown out. BUT... the positive thing is that it did expose some issues for the coaches to address and I suspect the probability of the O and D falling apart again this season is pretty slim.

CDC84
02-27-2017, 01:21 PM
I can't say I blame the team in every single instance for taking it easy at times when they're knocking out league opponents by 25+ per game.

bballbeachbum
02-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Seth's comment fits the narrative from the big money boys who don't want the Zags crashing their party and maybe haven't seen them much this year, my opinion, I know some disagree. but that whistle blows and the GU guard looks around with a smile and hands up because he didn't do anything, and the talking heads say what Seth just said. I think the Zags are better equipped than ever to overcome that though, we'll see, but if the perimeter pressure the Zags have used all year already has that commentary floating around.......

zagbeliever
02-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Saturday, JMHO, was a perfect storm. Defense was off... Offense was off (even though they scored 71)... they turned the ball over... they missed FTs. They have that kind of game in the tourney they get blown out. BUT... the positive thing is that it did expose some issues for the coaches to address and I suspect the probability of the O and D falling apart again this season is pretty slim.

100% agree

willandi
02-27-2017, 05:01 PM
I think that Seth got lackadaisical and didn't check the stats or watch any Zag games. It happens!