PDA

View Full Version : BYU Permanent Senior Night Opponent?

DixieZag
02-27-2017, 01:39 AM
The WCC loves being cute.

They love TV ratings (not alone in that)

At times it appears the WCC attempts to lift the whole by dragging us back down to the others.

3 years in a row already.

I don't want to duck anyone, and if they are - ok, then we need to beat them (which will be harder next year).

Do we think they're now penciled in as our last home opponent? Do we care?

Outraged
02-27-2017, 03:43 AM
I am fine with it. You think they would have learned the leason by now.

bartruff1
02-27-2017, 05:28 AM
It is not the WCC's fault we lost...I suspect ESPN had some interest in scheduling that game at that time....

zagcheer78
02-27-2017, 05:45 AM
It is not the WCC's fault we lost...I suspect ESPN had some interest in scheduling that game at that time....

ESPN loves to create story lines and having this matchup every year on Senior night gives them something to hype.

jbslicer
02-27-2017, 05:55 AM

E$PN drive$ the bu$.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-27-2017, 06:11 AM
We didn't play BYU on Senior Night last season, still lost. The Kennel is just not the tough place for opponents that it used to be.

rennis
02-27-2017, 06:16 AM
We didn't play BYU on Senior Night last season, still lost. The Kennel is just not the tough place for opponents that it used to be.

The home court advantage in college basketball has been in decline for a while, not just at GU

Zagsker
02-27-2017, 06:38 AM
The home court advantage in college basketball has been in decline for a while, not just at GU

Agree...home court theatre is more of an appropriate term. Still pays dividends for recruiting and tv

DixieZag
02-27-2017, 06:44 AM

I had heard all day it was the 3rd time in a row we had lost to them on senior night, but now reading this and looking it up, it appears we played SMC on Senior night last year.

So, theory on the thread is dead. I suspect they will alter it, SMC/BYU, senior night will always be one of the top challengers.

I think the statement "the Kennel is just not the tough place for opponents that it used to be" is wrong. We discussed the million things that had to go wrong, and last year's team lost pretty well every tough game, home and away until it won at BYU late.

We know SMC found it a tough place to play this year, I don't think anyone else got within 15 (Akron?)

Zags11
02-27-2017, 06:48 AM
I had heard all day it was the 3rd time in a row we had lost to them on senior night, but now reading this and looking it up, it appears we played SMC on Senior night last year.

So, theory on the thread is dead. I suspect they will alter it, SMC/BYU, senior night will always be one of the top challengers.

I think the statement "the Kennel is just not the tough place for opponents that it used to be" is wrong. We discussed the million things that had to go wrong, and last year's team lost pretty well every tough game, home and away until it won at BYU late.

We know SMC found it a tough place to play this year, I don't think anyone else got within 15 (Akron?)

You know we don't even boo our opponents when introduced like every other stadium? That's weak IMO. I understand the school not wanting to insult players like chants of DUI but booing introductions is fun and does bring some intimidation.

Gonzaga is a sweet place for visitors IMO. No intimidation. My family has season tickets and the home court advantage is different now then 04.

CDC84
02-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Even Few had something to say about it after the game......"that they need to rethink things" regarding senior night scheduling.

But I think he meant it with a sense of humor.

It would be nice to see another team besides BYU, though. It would be nice if things could be rotated for all WCC teams.