PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about (or to avoid thinking about)

CDC84
02-26-2017, 06:26 PM
There are those who will tell you Gonzaga needed to lose to be more free to pursue the NCAA Championship without concern about maintaining an undefeated record. It has actually been longer since a 1-loss team (N.C. State, 1974) earned the title than since an undefeated team (Indiana, 1976).

There have been 22 teams enter the NCAAs with a single defeat since David Thompson and NC State knocked off UCLA and Marquette at the 1974 Final Four. Only five of them made the Final Four.

Pallet
02-26-2017, 06:30 PM
So we should hope GU loses in the WCC tourney? ;)

RenoZag
02-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Based on what I saw last night, I'll be relieved if they get out of the round of 32. All of my Final Four hopes went up in flames.

If they win three in Vegas, I might start thinking about the history lesson you posted above, CDC.

Never thought a loss before the Big Dance would be a good thing; not about to start thinking that way now.

Have a good week. The game on Saturday feels like it's eons away.

gonzagafan62
02-26-2017, 06:38 PM
We lost to BYU on senior night two years ago. Went to elite eight. This team will be fine. Idk if they'll make final four yet but I'll support them anyway. No time to doubt them now

Zags11
02-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Based on what I saw last night, I'll be relieved if they get out of the round of 32. All of my Final Four hopes went up in flames.

If they win three in Vegas, I might start thinking about the history lesson you posted above, CDC.

Never thought a loss before the Big Dance would be a good thing; not about to start thinking that way now.

I didn't think THIS TEAM would blow a 16 point lead and by gosh at freaking home. Now idk if a game gets tight after having a lead, will we freeze again?

gonzagafan62
02-26-2017, 08:32 PM
I didn't think THIS TEAM would blow a 16 point lead and by gosh at freaking home. Now idk if a game gets tight after having a lead, will we freeze again?

Like the other times this season? Arizona? Iowa State? Tennessee? St Mary's? BYU on road? I think too many people are overthinking things. Relax.

Zagceo
02-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Like the other times this season? Arizona? Iowa State? Tennessee? St Mary's? BYU on road? I think too many people are overthinking things. Relax.

lost on 3rd Senior night in a row.......against a team that lost to USD....people are gonna vent.

Zags11
02-26-2017, 08:55 PM

Your point? They blew a 16 point lead at home. I didn't think they would. What I said was factual.

gonzagafan62
02-26-2017, 09:16 PM
Your point? They blew a 16 point lead at home. I didn't think they would. What I said was factual.

Didn't say it wasn't. Just seemed like you were stating that's the only right game we've played in all year.

ProVeeZag
02-26-2017, 09:39 PM
So is the pressure off the Zags now that the undefeated season is bye-bye? Don't think so ... the pressure will be there in every game. And I believe they will regroup and push through it. Now's the time to prove we got the game and the team to go further than any GU squad ever has.

DixieZag
02-27-2017, 01:10 AM

I think there's less pressure if a team goes into the tournament with a loss. I don't think it's good strategy to lose to BYU on Sr night for the 3rd season in a row.

And there's a part of me that drifts toward thinking as you are.

But, this team has so many examples from this year of games when they didn't fold, made the right play, that I just can't see it sitting in their heads as the "doom factor" that will necessarily cause a repeat in the tourney.

Another legitimate way to look at it; it provides the coaches/players the perfect opportunity to break down "what we do in a game if we're ice cold" and how to avoid the mistakes made in the last few minutes that occurred in this one. (Plus, Josh needs to be rebuilt psychologically, take apart game, built back up.)

This team always had the fire in its belly, but I think it's got the afterburner now. I expect to see complete destruction of 3 teams in Vegas. If not ....then I'll really worry.

bartruff1
02-27-2017, 05:32 AM
Correlation is not causation ...

Zags11
02-27-2017, 06:40 AM
Didn't say it wasn't. Just seemed like you were stating that's the only right game we've played in all year.

No. That's why I was shocked we blew the 16 pt lead. Hopefully its just a blip and it is what it is.

bartruff1
02-27-2017, 06:44 AM
They can turn this into something positive...it is not so much what happens to you....... but how you react to it....there were tears on Sat. but I bet smiles today.....this is the start of a new season....

gonzagafan62
02-27-2017, 08:43 AM
They can turn this into something positive...it is not so much what happens to you....... but how you react to it....there were tears on Sat. but I bet smiles today.....this is the start of a new season....

100% Bart. Keep it real!!!!!

gonzagafan62
02-27-2017, 08:43 AM
No. That's why I was shocked we blew the 16 pt lead. Hopefully its just a blip and it is what it is.

Hopefully so 11.

Zags11
02-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Hopefully so 11.

Still calling elite 8 at worse! Can't wait for the dinner again with the team on the 10th!

gonzagafan62
02-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Still calling elite 8 at worse! Can't wait for the dinner again with the team on the 10th!

Have fun my friend

TexasZag
02-27-2017, 09:32 AM
I think there's less pressure if a team goes into the tournament with a loss. I don't think it's good strategy to lose to BYU on Sr night for the 3rd season in a row.

And there's a part of me that drifts toward thinking as you are.

But, this team has so many examples from this year of games when they didn't fold, made the right play, that I just can't see it sitting in their heads as the "doom factor" that will necessarily cause a repeat in the tourney.

Another legitimate way to look at it; it provides the coaches/players the perfect opportunity to break down "what we do in a game if we're ice cold" and how to avoid the mistakes made in the last few minutes that occurred in this one. (Plus, Josh needs to be rebuilt psychologically, take apart game, built back up.)

This team always had the fire in its belly, but I think it's got the afterburner now. I expect to see complete destruction of 3 teams in Vegas. If not ....then I'll really worry.

I am in the camp that believes it relieves some pressure; although, the loss to a 20-point underdog on your home floor is a bit unsettling. It also removes a potential distraction because it takes the attention off an undefeated run, whether that be internal or external (e.g., the press).

Aside from the pomp and pageantry during pregame, what in the hell are they doing differently for these senior nights? Three in a row? It's hard to discount when you start putting together a streak like this.

TravelinZag
03-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Glad there's a full week until first WCC game -- ample time to absorb disappointment, adjust attitude, and refocus.

Also glad there is almost three weeks after the loss and the first NCAA game -- time for injuries to heal, if that is possible. (The deafening silence makes me fear Zags may not be at full depth again this year. Hope I'm misreading the tea leaves.)

Go Zags! Time to start a new streak: one final four in a row!

basketballzag
03-01-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm very concerned this team can't handle pressure and will collapse in the tourney based on what I saw in the BYU game. I'm not confident with Perkins at the PG spot in game pressured situations as I have yet to see him take over any game of substance at Gonzaga. Hopefully he can overcome this or Few needs to give the ball to NWG in critical situations.

gonstu
03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm very concerned this team can't handle pressure and will collapse in the tourney based on what I saw in the BYU game. I'm not confident with Perkins at the PG spot in game pressured situations as I have yet to see him take over any game of substance at Gonzaga. Hopefully he can overcome this or Few needs to give the ball to NWG in critical situations.

This was stated by Greenberg on his and Katz latest podcast (yesterday I think). He said it may be a lesson learned by Few to have the ball in your best player's hands in crunch time.

MDABE80
03-01-2017, 08:49 PM

I'd say so! Nigel is our guy. We're in all kinds of trouble without him.

ProVeeZag
03-01-2017, 11:51 PM
This was stated by Greenberg on his and Katz latest podcast (yesterday I think). He said it may be a lesson learned by Few to have the ball in your best player's hands in crunch time.

Call me naieve, but at this level of basketball, wouldn't the players on the floor know this instinctively? And surely Few (multiple time WCC coach of the year) learned that lesson decades ago (I know, "stop calling me Shirley!"). For whatever reason, it wasn't done that last minute against BYU. I think the pressure of the moment in a tight, tight game was the reason. And I like Seth Greenberg, just seemed like a "cliche" line for him to say it was a lesson learned by Few.

gonzagafan62
03-02-2017, 01:22 AM
Call me naieve, but at this level of basketball, wouldn't the players on the floor know this instinctively? And surely Few (multiple time WCC coach of the year) learned that lesson decades ago (I know, "stop calling me Shirley!"). For whatever reason, it wasn't done that last minute against BYU. I think the pressure of the moment in a tight, tight game was the reason. And I like Seth Greenberg, just seemed like a "cliche" line for him to say it was a lesson learned by Few.

I don't think it had anything to do with "pressure" of a tight tight game.... because we saw that already and NWG had the ball in his hands every fricken time. Every time. Only thing I can think of is that we were completely rattled. BYU made seemingly every shot that they normally don't. BYU normally Carlino or Emerys the basketball. Not this time. They got every bounce, every 50:50 ball. All the calls. Good thing is, these kids WERE RATTLED - and we're beat to the punch but they WILL recover and be better than ever.

Go damn zags