PDA

View Full Version : Might make you feel better.......

MDABE80
02-25-2017, 10:08 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117951/gonzagas-stunning-loss-shouldnt-change-its-postseason-expectations

WWe may fall off the no1 seed for a bit till the others lose and Nova might be the no 1 come Monday but we'll be back when others kill each other off. It'll happen. It always does. A 1 loss season isn't so bad. I do think we'll regain the prestige on a no 1 seed and rankings IF we lose either. The key is to never have defensive letdown again. Practice FT's and 3's dammit! Or the following.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/gonzaga-byu-final-score-bracketology-number-1-seed-022617

Everybody stubs their toe once in a while.

cggonzaga
02-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Villanova lost this week. Outside chance we stay number 1. Probably Kansas though.

WallaWallaZag
02-25-2017, 10:44 PM
Villanova lost this week. Outside chance we stay number 1. Probably Kansas though.

you're kidding right...lost to unranked byu in spokane...will be lucky to stay in top 5...a lot of people looking for excuses to drop the zags to their "rightful" place.

Zags11
02-26-2017, 05:48 AM
you're kidding right...lost to unranked byu in spokane...will be lucky to stay in top 5...a lot of people looking for excuses to drop the zags to their "rightful" place.

Probably 2 or 3.

gonstu
02-26-2017, 05:51 AM
I think zags ranked 6 monday morning

jazzdelmar
02-26-2017, 05:54 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117951/gonzagas-stunning-loss-shouldnt-change-its-postseason-expectations

WWe may fall off the no1 seed for a bit till the others lose and Nova might be the no 1 come Monday but we'll be back when others kill each other off. It'll happen. It always does. A 1 loss season isn't so bad. I do think we'll regain the prestige on a no 1 seed and rankings IF we lose either. The key is to never have defensive letdown again. Practice FT's and 3's dammit! Or the following.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/gonzaga-byu-final-score-bracketology-number-1-seed-022617

Excellent Rx, Doc.....too rosy prognosis....Zags fall 3-4 spots and lose top seed......other blue bloods jump up and, although some will lose so you're right, others will surprise, effectively consigning Zags to 4-5 rank at the end of the season.....better hope we hold on to 2 seed.....the game was ugly and zags were undressed big time......

Ezag
02-26-2017, 05:58 AM
That's the part that sucks. You can go 29-0, lose 1 game but because we play in WCC we get zero margin for error. When people say the WCC does not battle test us, they are probably correct to a point.

uZiGiZaG
02-26-2017, 07:03 AM
That's the part that sucks. You can go 29-0, lose 1 game but because we play in WCC we get zero margin for error. When people say the WCC does not battle test us, they are probably correct to a point.

Well we shouldn't lose to UNRANKED teams at home ..

No way we are in the Top 5 come Monday

MDABE80
02-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Excellent Rx, Doc.....too rosy prognosis....Zags fall 3-4 spots and lose top seed......other blue bloods jump up and, although some will lose so you're right, others will surprise, effectively consigning Zags to 4-5 rank at the end of the season.....better hope we hold on to 2 seed.....the game was ugly and zags were undressed big time......

lolol DO you mean we were "pantsed" in public on national TV??;)

jazzdelmar
02-26-2017, 09:49 AM
lolol DO you mean we were "pantsed" in public on national TV??;)

Nah, thats your kinda lingo....jumping bones and all that.....im an effete New Yorker.....

ProVeeZag
02-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Hope you are sitting down when the polls come out Monday ... this is the moment the wolves have been waiting for.

jazzdelmar
02-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Hope you are sitting down when the polls come out Monday ... this is the moment the wolves have been waiting for.

Right on......5 would not shock me

gonstu
02-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Teams I could see ahead of us:

1-Kansas
2-Nova
3-Ducks
4-UCLA
5-UNC
6-Zags

That's my prediction. Not sure if I'm just still bummed about the 'L' last night though. I do think there's some voters who were waiting for an opportunity to drop us though. Given byu's bad losses, this is not a great loss (unranked, at home, ...)

vandalzag
02-26-2017, 11:36 AM

I would take 5 in a heartbeat. I think 6 or 7.

cggonzaga
02-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Still 1 in kenpom and sagarin.

Reborn
02-27-2017, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;1291715]We may fall off the no1 seed for a bit till the others lose and Nova might be the no 1 come Monday but we'll be back when others kill each other off. It'll happen. It always does. A 1 loss season isn't so bad. I do think we'll regain the prestige on a no 1 seed and rankings IF we lose either. The key is to never have defensive letdown again. Practice FT's and 3's dammit! Or the following.

Great post. Pretty much summed up my thoughts, not so much my feelings. I was pretty disappointed, followed by a pretty deep feeling of sadness. I really wanted the boys to have that record. Fortunately for me, I realized a long time ago that we get what we need, not what we want. So in this case, my thinking has helped me overcome those feelings of sadness and disappointment. As Doc said, 29-1 is not bad at all. Honestly, I hoped the Zags would lose one before the beginning of March Madness. I felt it might be better to lose one in the tournament. I was wrong. I totally believe we will play better in that tournament with one loss. A lot of stress is now gone, right along side of some boredom, as some have suggested.

I definitely continue to believe all I have believed all year long, that this is a very special team, and will make the Final Four. Why would I change my views because of a loss to a good team with a very good coach who has proven that his teams Can beat the Zags. The team we saw Saturday, in no way is a reflection of who they are. My hope is that the GU fans remain faithful and continue to believe. That's what good fans do.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
02-27-2017, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=MDABE80;1291715]We may fall off the no1 seed for a bit till the others lose and Nova might be the no 1 come Monday but we'll be back when others kill each other off. It'll happen. It always does. A 1 loss season isn't so bad. I do think we'll regain the prestige on a no 1 seed and rankings IF we lose either. The key is to never have defensive letdown again. Practice FT's and 3's dammit! Or the following.

Great post. Pretty much summed up my thoughts, not so much my feelings. I was pretty disappointed, followed by a pretty deep feeling of sadness. I really wanted the boys to have that record. Fortunately for me, I realized a long time ago that we get what we need, not what we want. So in this case, my thinking has helped me overcome those feelings of sadness and disappointment. As Doc said, 29-1 is not bad at all. Honestly, I hoped the Zags would lose one before the beginning of March Madness. I felt it might be better to lose one in the tournament. I was wrong. I totally believe we will play better in that tournament with one loss. A lot of stress is now gone, right along side of some boredom, as some have suggested.

I definitely continue to believe all I have believed all year long, that this is a very special team, and will make the Final Four. Why would I change my views because of a loss to a good team with a very good coach who has proven that his teams Can beat the Zags. The team we saw Saturday, in no way is a reflection of who they are. My hope is that the GU fans remain faithful and continue to believe. That's what good fans do.

Go Zags!!!

Good point on the aspect of "boredom". We took the foot off the gas after our quick start, something we've rarely done this year. It came back to bite us in the rear. Second half, we became the "hunted", and acted like it. Game plan was tossed to the side, which was confirmed by the players' remarks after the game.

Rankings no longer matter to me (ok, a little bit). It's all about how we move forward and end the season by playing our best basketball.

cggonzaga
02-27-2017, 09:50 AM

Whew! Good thing I was sitting down. I almost passed out when I saw we fell alllllll the way to 4!

ProVeeZag
02-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Whew! Good thing I was sitting down. I almost passed out when I saw we fell alllllll the way to 4!

Glad you've recovered enough to post your reply. Yeah, 1 or 4, it's almost the same. Same deal with seeding, 1 or 4, pretty much doesn't matter.

BayAreaZagFan
02-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Pleasantly surprised with #4. I was hoping for something in the bottom half of the top ten, but wouldn't have been shocked if it had been worse. #4 is either a sign of the voters acknowledging that all good teams can have an off-night and shouldn't be penalized too much for it, or a sign that a good team losing one game (even though it did spoil something that would have been awesome) isn't that big of a deal.

TravelinZag
02-28-2017, 06:48 AM

Doc, My biggest disappointment about the loss was that the Zags had an opportunity to accomplish something very special that would be theirs regardless of how the remaining season plays out. A gift they should have given themselves and the coaches. And they blew it. 29-1 not special; 27-3 or 26-4 would be about the same.

The WCC tournament offers no chance for redemption. Winning it again is ho, hum. Losing a game, any game, knocks the Zags off the number one seed-line, but not the "protected" top four seeds. They'll still play all games in the Pacific time zone.

What is critical is how the team reacts to the loss. "No biggie" is an attitude prelude to an early out. Acceptance of responsibility is a great start. A huge chip on their shoulder that makes them play focused and angry would be great. They only have to maintain it for seven games to achieve what none of their predecessors have. And after seven, why not nine and a NC? That would absolutely dispel a 29-1 downer for team and fans alike!

DixieZag
02-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Doc, My biggest disappointment about the loss was that the Zags had an opportunity to accomplish something very special that would be theirs regardless of how the remaining season plays out. A gift they should have given themselves and the coaches. And they blew it. 29-1 not special; 27-3 or 26-4 would be about the same.

The WCC tournament offers no chance for redemption. Winning it again is ho, hum. Losing a game, any game, knocks the Zags off the number one seed-line, but not the "protected" top four seeds. They'll still play all games in the Pacific time zone.

What is critical is how the team reacts to the loss. "No biggie" is an attitude prelude to an early out. Acceptance of responsibility is a great start. A huge chip on their shoulder that makes them play focused and angry would be great. They only have to maintain it for seven games to achieve what none of their predecessors have. And after seven, why not nine and a NC? That would absolutely dispel a 29-1 downer for team and fans alike!

This is a very good post.