PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-BYU

Section 116
02-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Some of what Michaelson said: Missed free throws, three point shooting and too many turnovers, although I note BYU had one less turnover so that is kind of a wash in my book. Michaelson said Mika played like a pro tonight and made every kind of shot. GU really had no answer for him tonight. Michaelson also said it was never the goal to go undefeated but when you are 20 minutes away it is tough. He said the first goal was to win in Orlando, check, second goal could they go undefeated in the preseason, check, third goal to win the WCC regular season championship, check. Santangelo and Hudson gave BYU a lot of credit for hanging tough and noting the way they play they are never out of it (although I can't figure why SMC seems to be able to take them out of it). Santangelo said those missed first half free throws when the Zags were up by 10 and could have pushed it to 15 or more made a big difference. They also said Emery who was like 0-11 just stepped up and made two huge threes. They noted in the last 3-4 minutes GU was outscored 12-2 which is not at all how they finished games this year. GU outscored BYU 14-0 on fast break points but in the last 5-6 minutes BYU really took the air out of the ball as Hawes would run the clock down to 10 seconds or so before they ran any kind of offense and they made enough plays at the end, and prevented any kind of transition game for the Zags. BYU also picked up a couple huge offensive rebounds late. Also after GU hit 60% more of less from the floor in the first half they went cold in the second half and hit only 33% finishing the game at 45%. Nine three point shots to three for the Zags, well you can do the math there. Michaelson also said the same thing happened last year and the Zags caught fire at the WCC tournament and finished off with some wins in March Madness. We'll see. That's what I got!

Hoopaholic
02-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Was our worst three point shooting since unclaimed in 2015. And in our own house

WallaWallaZag
02-25-2017, 10:42 PM
defense wasn't up to standard...mika played great but should still be able to beat byu even with him having a great game.

CDC84
02-25-2017, 11:16 PM
I wonder if part of the reason why Mika played great was that GU didn't give it to Karno enough to make Mika work on D and make him prone to foul trouble. It just seemed as if Karno was forgotten about.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-26-2017, 03:51 AM
I wonder if part of the reason why Mika played great was that GU didn't give it to Karno enough to make Mika work on D and make him prone to foul trouble. It just seemed as if Karno was forgotten about.

It sure did, on his senior night no less. I've read the threads and agree to some extent with the "ease up on Few" comments but wow, how can a coach not get the message across: feed PK in the post!! Call a timeout, harp on the guards to get the ball to PK, next time downcourt whichever guard has and doesn't make the entry pass gets taken out of game and given an earful.

It's nice that this team is so nice and everyone loves everyone like family, but gotta have an alpha coach calling the shots and instilling a bit of fear/urgency in the players to do exactly what he demands of them. What happened exactly: 1) BYU's defense so good and Zags offensive sets so poor they simply couldn't get the ball into PK or 2) guards didn't feel the urgent need to do so? I think definitely the latter.

jazzdelmar
02-26-2017, 04:03 AM
[QUOTE=
It's nice that this team is so nice and everyone loves everyone like family, but gotta have an alpha coach calling the shots and instilling a bit of fear/urgency in the players to do exactly what he demands of them. [/QUOTE]

You have been a GU fan HOW long? The "alpha coach" got a T and it backfired big time...It is, what it is.....

Zagger
02-26-2017, 04:35 AM
...It is, what it is.....

Yep, college basketball! It's rare that teams go undefeated. The Zags lost their focus/mojo as a whole group. BYU had nothing to lose. Congrats to BYU ....conditionally.... as the winner but I'm deeper in the zip for respect for the their team after Mika's flagrant on Karnowski. I can't wait for Vegas for the Zags (and others) to get the chance to shut the Cougars out of the NCAAs.

TexasZagFan
02-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Yep, college basketball! It's rare that teams go undefeated. The Zags lost their focus/mojo as a whole group. BYU had nothing to lose. Congrats to BYU ....conditionally.... as the winner but I'm deeper in the zip for respect for the their team after Mika's flagrant on Karnowski. I can't wait for Vegas for the Zags (and others) to get the chance to shut the Cougars out of the NCAAs.

I'm sure Yiner fans are ecstatic, as they should be. But they should also be asking themselves why they lost to as many sub-200 RPI teams as they did.

Sour grapes? Sure, but they better bring that same effort next week, which I don't think they're capable of.

NorCalCoug
02-26-2017, 08:00 AM
I'm sure Yiner fans are ecstatic, as they should be. But they should also be asking themselves why they lost to as many sub-200 RPI teams as they did.

Sour grapes? Sure, but they better bring that same effort next week, which I don't think they're capable of.

Most of us realize EXACTLY why all those losses. This is a team of FR and SO that are only months away from knocking doors as missionaries. I've followed BYU basketball many years and the mission rust is very real and takes a season to shed. This was a gelling year for BYU and in some ways I hoped they'd be further along by now. I expected inconsistent play this year but there's lots to be excited for I the future. I'm as shocked as anyone with the results but look forward to cheering for the Zags in the NCAA's!

gonstu
02-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Most of us realize EXACTLY why all those losses. This is a team of FR and SO that are only months away from knocking doors as missionaries. I've followed BYU basketball many years and the mission rust is very real and takes a season to shed. This was a gelling year for BYU and in some ways I hoped they'd be further along by now. I expected inconsistent play this year but there's lots to be excited for I the future. I'm as shocked as anyone with the results but look forward to cheering for the Zags in the NCAA's!

Thanks for rooting for us. I don't buy the frosh/soph explanation though - it's something else. Look at the last 5 years, there are head scratching losses for the byu EVERY YEAR. One thing is for certain, byu gets up to play the zags.

HenneZag
02-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Thanks for rooting for us. I don't buy the frosh/soph explanation though - it's something else. Look at the last 5 years, there are head scratching losses for the byu EVERY YEAR. One thing is for certain, byu gets up to play the zags.

BYU is the one team that can match our tempo. They want to get up and go. When things are not going well in this style of game it can domino quickly. BYU has solid physical bigs and guys that can shoot the ball.

BYU was loose the whole game, they weren't intimidated by our crowd and seemed to welcome and mock our student section. This to me was a vintage ZAG meltdown from teams we have seen in past years. I was waiting for us to return the uppercut, but it's hard to win when we throw jabs and they threw uppercuts. BYU responded every single time we had a run. Up by 16 in the first and 10 in the second at home and we can't hold it.

If this team is what we thought, this loss will refuel and reset their mentality. They have to forget quickly and set thier site on the next goal. No time for pouting.

Zagceo
02-26-2017, 08:58 AM
Mika is a stud. Mika and Jock Landale have already had some nice battles.

Gotta admit when Mika went high for that rebound between PK and Williams and crashed to the floor.....pure warrior.

Always looks like he's having fun....

Hoopaholic
02-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Mika is a stud. Mika and Jock Landale have already had some nice battles.

Gotta admit when Mika went high for that rebound between PK and Williams and crashed to the floor.....pure warrior.

Always looks like he's having fun....

Yep pure warrior, but a travel none the less that was ignored