PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Tillie or Alberts?

zag67
02-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Just thought I would ask if anything new has come out.

Thanks ahead of time.

Section 116
02-25-2017, 09:23 PM
I noticed Tillie still had the "device" on his hand and finger, while the boot appeared to be off Alberts foot. Not much news there but those were observations I made at the game tonight. Strictly from the rumor department it appears Tillie may be able to contribute in Las Vegas as a defender and rebounder but will probably have difficulty shooting. A few minutes here or there to give someone a blow. Again, this is not official by any means but in conversations I've had with a few folks this seems to be a consensus, or maybe just wishful thinking?

Goshzagit
02-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Re evaluating Tillie's fracture this week.

Hoping to have him return for Vegas.

50/50 chance.

All depends on how its healing...

If not, then maybe NCAA's.

Trying to stay in game shape while out but his hand & fingers will be weak.

We forget he's a 40% 3pt shooter, shot blocker, & nifty rebounder/scorer when healthy.

Had two back to back double digit scoring games b4 injury...

cggonzaga
02-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Yeah I missed Tillie today too. Energy guy we could've used after blowing our load early on.

U Zig, I Zag
02-25-2017, 10:22 PM
Could have used Tillie for sure. And to be honest, if you just wanted and needed an honest ball handler to facilitate - Alberts could help.

TravelinZag
02-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Hope they wait until the NCAAs; far more important than the WCC tournament. No sense risking further injury by a premature return. Lack of info on Alberts leads me to conclude we cannot count on his return this season.

Depth has taken a real hit; could have altered the result vs. BYU. Tillie is part of the eight-man rotation, and Alberts will capable of playing a role in 3-point shooting (which was abysmal) and on defense.

Winning the WCC, or losing a game, will have much less impact than regaining full strength and depth for a deep dance run. Another early exit polishes a popular myth that the Zags can't win when it counts. Making the Final Four is a huge step toward banishing that perception.

Go Zags! Much still an be added to a great season. Final Four or beyond, and get Coach his 500th win!!

CDC84
02-26-2017, 08:13 PM
If he's cleared to play, I want him to play. Any question marks.....obviously, sit him. But it's to his benefit, and to the team's benefit that he get his sea legs again, and it's best that it occur before the dance. If he has to wait until the NCAA's, at least he will have a game vs. a 16 or 15 seed to get some run, but still, it's not the right circumstance. Another option would be to sit him the first WCC game. Then an off day happens. Then play him in the semis. It sucks that it's his shooting hand.

Outraged
02-26-2017, 09:10 PM
He brings disruption and change to games. We need him back.

ProVeeZag
02-26-2017, 09:24 PM
Tillie's return is important, but just don't see where Bryan's injury has much impact. He's not gotten serious minutes all season, so not sure why he would at this point. I like the kid and he's got some skills. Just trying to be realistic here.

Hoopaholic
02-27-2017, 07:00 AM
Tillie's return is important, but just don't see where Bryan's injury has much impact. He's not gotten serious minutes all season, so not sure why he would at this point. I like the kid and he's got some skills. Just trying to be realistic here.

ummm in BYU game where we couldnt BUY an outside shot he could have been inserted for few minutes and if he hits his shot the lid on the basket might have been removed....but we will not know as it is pure speculation but his ability to shoot could have had an impact

allbusiness_zag
02-27-2017, 08:23 AM

+1

madness
02-27-2017, 08:31 AM
I saw a tired GU team for the last 5 minutes of the BYU game. Having an 8th in the rotation is gigantic for fluid rest (especially for Shem). Fitness and conditioning can be a direct cause of decision making. I think we can all agree the decision making at the end of the BYU game was not GU's best.

zagfan1
02-27-2017, 11:32 AM
If the zags are tired then they are not playing enough guys. Even Rem did great with his two minutes. Bring in our next two guys - Rui and JJ. Let's see hungry they can be in a pressure situation.

U Zig, I Zag
02-27-2017, 11:47 AM
re: Alberts. I think throwing him in there against some elite athletic guards might have given him trouble, but BYU and their ole' defense (their number one move is to get beat then try and pop the ball out from behind) wouldn't have given him issues.

He would have:

Played D
Given the other guys some rest
Facilitated on offense
Probably knocked down a couple 3's. Even 1(!) would have forced BYU to address him.

El Zag
02-27-2017, 12:13 PM
We are down to 7 players . Melson didn’t turn the ball over during his 16 minutes .

The ’99 Monson-Few team played 10 players double digit minutes beating a Stanford team that had 4 starters returning from their final 4 team the year before.

thespywhozaggedme
02-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Tillie was really missed in the BYU game. He adds tough rebounding, good post moves and a surprisingly good 3 point shot. I think he'll blow up next season.