PDA

View Full Version : Soooooo...... UCLA isn't battle tested either, right?

gonzagafan62
02-24-2017, 12:43 PM
Most of the pundits LOVE Ball and his UCLA bruins. But here's what they won't tell you:

SOS:

Gonzaga 89
UCLA 95

No that's not a misprint

Inevitably UCLA will finish with a better SOS, but the fact that we are 29 games in and UCLA this "powerhouse" loved by the national media hasn't already torched our SOS numbers yet we are the ones that aren't battle tested is mind blowing.

Why hasn't old loved UCLA gone undefeated to this point? Why aren't they being criticized?

We all know the answer.

We just need to be DEFIANT AGAINST THE ODDS! It's us vs EVERYONE! And that's OK. We don't need anyone. We got ourselves!

Go damn zags!!!!!

MBAGael
02-24-2017, 12:48 PM
More importantly, kenpom:

1 zags
17 ucla

Also, rpi:
9 zags
19 ucla

bartruff1
02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
I don't think that Gonzaga would be undefeated if it played in the Conference of Champions, nor would it be in first place. Nearly every road game is a test for every team...

.... but more important, since they are not, I don't have to listen to that brain dead hippy during the broadcasts...

sittingon50
02-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Think they could just as easily be in 1st than not, bart.

Current leader is Arizona, whom we know the Zags can beat.

cggonzaga
02-24-2017, 01:00 PM

+1. Maybe not undefeated but certainly top 2-3. I'm getting the feeling from Bart's posts here and other threads, he's going to be the "told you so" guy if we don't win it all.

bigblahla
02-24-2017, 01:04 PM
+1. Maybe not undefeated but certainly top 2-3. I'm getting the feeling from Bart's posts here and other threads, he's going to be the "told you so" guy if we don't win it all.

Doubtful...not his style...bart's a Zag fan...

Go!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
02-24-2017, 01:06 PM

I have never thought Gonzaga would win it all...but I have no need to say I told you so...

cggonzaga
02-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Why so much pessimism Bart? Guarding yourself from not being let down?

scrooner
02-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Conference affiliation is a silly argument. If Zags were somehow in the Pac-12, they would do an even better job of recruiting (and clearly they are already doing well in that department).

bartruff1
02-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Why so much pessimism Bart? Guarding yourself from not being let down?

Not at all....I though they would be ranked #1....that they would be undefeated entering the NCAA....but I have never thought they would be in the FF or the NC....I don't see that as pessimistic , just realistic, and I won't be disappointed for more than 10 minutes no matter how the season ends...it is always the journey, not the destination... it has been a historic achievement for Gonzaga this season....

Edited to add, I thought they would be undefeated before the Tournament after they beat Arizona, I thought they would lose to Arizona...

bartruff1
02-24-2017, 01:26 PM

I think Gonzaga would hold service at home...but winning on the road would be a test...

sittingon50
02-24-2017, 02:18 PM
I think Gonzaga would hold service at home...but winning on the road would be a test...

I understand. The (logic?) I was trying to use is that if Arizona is beating most of these teams on the road (sans Oregon) it is just as likely that the Zag's would too.

cggonzaga
02-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Not at all....I though they would be ranked #1....that they would be undefeated entering the NCAA....but I have never thought they would be in the FF or the NC....I don't see that as pessimistic , just realistic, and I won't be disappointed for more than 10 minutes no matter how the season ends...it is always the journey, not the destination... it has been a historic achievement for Gonzaga this season....

Edited to add, I thought they would be undefeated before the Tournament after they beat Arizona, I thought they would lose to Arizona...

So why aren't we good enough to make the final 4 or win the national championship?

Ezag
02-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Also important, we be undefeated, they not

jyboc
02-24-2017, 03:28 PM
It's just easy to say they won't win because it is true for 67 of the teams who actually get the chance to play. Betting against the field is always easier than for one team.

GU would be just fine in the PAC12! It's not that tough of a league aside from 2 or 3 teams, of which we have proved we can beat.

bartruff1
02-24-2017, 04:01 PM
So why aren't we good enough to make the final 4 or win the national championship?

I didn't say they weren't good enough, they might win it....the NCAA is a krap shoot, one and done....I also believe there are a dozen teams that could win it ......and Gonzaga is one of those teams....I think the the odds are 10-1 for them to win, ....so I am just not expecting it.. if I had to pick a team to win it would be Kentucky.

btzag
02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Numbers don't matter, winning on the road at osu, UW, asu, wsu, Stanford is actually super hard.

Goshzagit
02-24-2017, 08:17 PM
I didn't say they weren't good enough, they might win it....the NCAA is a krap shoot, one and done....I also believe there are a dozen teams that could win it ......and Gonzaga is one of those teams....I think the the odds are 10-1 for them to win, ....so I am just not expecting it.. if I had to pick a team to win it would be Kentucky.

Understand the sentiment, but there are at least 6 teams that would kick the crap outta Kentucky this year.

Unorganized dissonance of talent at its finest.

While I dont want to face Wildcats, they won't make the Final 4 this season.

Just watch them vs Florida or Tennessee to see why...

Questionable cohesiveness, belief in each other, & shot selection.

Zags have none, save selection on occasion.

kitzbuel
02-25-2017, 07:24 AM

What is remarkable is that they really have not been tested on the road since Iowa St.

gonzagafan62
02-25-2017, 07:31 AM
What is remarkable is that they really have not been tested on the road since Iowa St.

SMC and BYU. Iowa State was neutral

kitzbuel
02-25-2017, 07:35 AM
SMC and BYU.

I was never in doubt that we were going to win those games. The Zags managed to keep both of them just at arm's length even during their runs. Someone always doused the fire, usually NWG.

TexasZagFan
02-25-2017, 07:57 AM

I was there in Nashville, where they had nearly 14,000 fans screaming in the second half, and the Zags were playing 5-on-8 for stretches of the second half. I'd say that game qualifies as a test.

Zagceo
02-25-2017, 08:03 AM

The question is .......Are Zags as good as they think they are?...Niguel says yes.:clap:

MickMick
02-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Why don't we just reinforce all the national narratives why we are at it?

I'll start.

Zags suck.

bartruff1
02-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Well UCLA certainly passed it's test last night...The Pac race is very competitive and I have to think that is good for those teams going into March..