PDA

View Full Version : Obvious thought of the day...

FuManShoes
02-24-2017, 08:55 AM
This team is absolutely unstoppable and historically good when Perkins & Matthews are hitting. They take us from a great defensive team with a nice inside threat between Karno, JW, ZC, a driving NWG and a glue guy lockdown defender in Melson to an unstoppable juggernaut that will kill you inside AND rain threes on you from outside. If those guys can shoot even 35-40% from three in the Dance I don't see how the Zags can get beat.

Mr Vulture
02-24-2017, 09:05 AM
If this team takes care of the ball and plays defense like they have all year, they will beat most anyone they play. If they are hitting their 3's, they will beat EVERYONE they play including the blue bloods. This is the first Zags team that I have felt really can win it all as opposed to the other two teams that I thought could make a run at it (2006 and 2013).

hockeyzag
02-24-2017, 10:14 AM
This team is absolutely unstoppable and historically good when Perkins & Matthews are hitting. They take us from a great defensive team with a nice inside threat between Karno, JW, ZC, a driving NWG and a glue guy lockdown defender in Melson to an unstoppable juggernaut that will kill you inside AND rain threes on you from outside. If those guys can shoot even 35-40% from three in the Dance I don't see how the Zags can get beat.

I was just talking about this with a friend. At the beginning of the season I felt like Perkins and Matthews were playing their best. Having them both play so well allowed Karno, JWill, and Collins time to bring themselves up to speed. Now our bigs are all absolutely dominant, NWG and Melson are playing great basketball, but those two have struggled a little lately. The great thing is we will usually have at least 4 or 5 of our 7 man rotation playing really well, but if we can get those two back to playing like we all know they can I honestly think we will be unstoppable in March.

former1dog
02-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Tillie!!! Man, I hope he can heal up because he is an X factor. I think he can be an answer, at least in certain situation, to defending big athletic 3's from other teams. Tillie is so athletic and so capable of playing good D that this makes a lot of sense, to me.

Marcus
02-24-2017, 10:21 AM
The closest I've seen all year to firing on all cylinders. It reminded me of the first half of the Iowa St game. When those two hit their 3's this team is unbelievably good. Teams don't really get a break either the way Silas has been shooting and having Collins off the bench. And I agree about Tillie, he just adds another versatile scorer/defender to the mix.

CarolinaZagFan
02-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Tillie!!! Man, I hope he can heal up because he is an X factor. I think he can be an answer, at least in certain situation, to defending big athletic 3's from other teams. Tillie is so athletic and so capable of playing good D that this makes a lot of sense, to me.

Absolutely! I was talking about how much of a matchup nightmare Justin Jackson is with my brother the other day who is a big UNC fan. I feel like Tillie is the only guy we have that can matchup with him in a potential late March/early April game.

thespywhozaggedme
02-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Bottom line: We just have too many weapons. if you double Shem, we'll kill you from three. If you guard the perimeter, NWG will drive for the And 1 or Shem will dominate. We are a great team this year,

MontanaCoyote
02-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Bottom line: We just have too many weapons. if you double Shem, we'll kill you from three. If you guard the perimeter, NWG will drive for the And 1 or Shem will dominate. We are a great team this year,

Yes, we are! But .529 from the line last night worries me some.

MickMick
02-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Every team has warts.

Read any given message board, and you will read relative concerns over perceived weaknesses of the home team.

I personally believe GU has the least concerning warts.

But they still have warts. Issues that can potentially jump up and bite them in any given game.

If you forced me to wager my life savings on any given team to win it all, I wouldn't hesitate to choose GU.

maynard g krebs
02-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Yes, we are! But .529 from the line last night worries me some.

Small sample size (9/17) makes the % cited look a lot worse than reality. An average game would be 12-13 of 17, so 3 or 4 pts left on the table. Williams was 2-6 which is half the misses.

If the team was 20/40 with everybody missing a bunch I could see the issue. There's always gonna be a some minor imperfection in your run of the mill 58 point win.

I think this area is a strength despite the starting bigs shooting 60%. The other six rotation guys are all good to excellent, and the 4 guards are a combined 221/263 for the season, which is about 84%, w/ NWG at 90 and all above 75, so if those guys have the ball at the end of a close game it's a positive and usually an area of advantage.

ZagOD7540
02-24-2017, 02:52 PM
I was just talking about this with a friend. At the beginning of the season I felt like Perkins and Matthews were playing their best. Having them both play so well allowed Karno, JWill, and Collins time to bring themselves up to speed. Now our bigs are all absolutely dominant, NWG and Melson are playing great basketball, but those two have struggled a little lately. The great thing is we will usually have at least 4 or 5 of our 7 man rotation playing really well, but if we can get those two back to playing like we all know they can I honestly think we will be unstoppable in March.

Are you saying Nigel and Silas have struggled lately?? Are you kidding me! You been watching the games?

Hoopaholic
02-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Are you saying Nigel and Silas have struggled lately?? Are you kidding me! You been watching the games?
Think he is saying Perkins and Mathews struggling of late but good to see they have a good game as they are critical to a deep run

Can drive a big engine car with less than all cylinders firing properly but you can go faster and longer if all cylinders firing as designed

billyberu
02-24-2017, 09:48 PM
This +1

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-25-2017, 02:51 AM
Absolutely! I was talking about how much of a matchup nightmare Justin Jackson is with my brother the other day who is a big UNC fan. I feel like Tillie is the only guy we have that can matchup with him in a potential late March/early April game.

So if Zags make it to Elite Eight or beyond and get a shot at UNC, you think Tillie should then get minutes at the 3 for the first time all season?

Reborn
02-25-2017, 06:16 AM
BELIEVE

Go Zags111