PDA

View Full Version : WCC Expansion

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Hey Guys,

Has anyone thought about Grand Canyon University? They have a fantastic arena, campus, they are a similarly minded university to Pepperdine (christian liberal arts college). They have a former NBA player at coach, they dont play football, they are tourney eligible next year. They expand the conferences reach into the southwest. Seems like a really good fit. Thoughts?

other info:
They have 3 NAIA national championships
a couple former NBA players (and Tim Salmon from Major league baseball)
They made the D2 tourney frequently.

CDC84
02-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Not unless a team leaves the league.

Mr Vulture
02-23-2017, 10:47 AM
If they can't be a Top 100 program and spend the $$ to be one, I don't see any reason to add them. I will say it is a good market and the arena is a legit one in comparison to the bottom programs now. In order to do this you'd have to add a partner as well, which would have to bring a market/arena/$$ to compete aspects too. The only team I cna think of that makes any sense would be Seattle U, but they haven't been competitive where they are at now so can't see a step up improving that.

To summarize, I don't know that they necessarily bring enough to warrant the addition.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Denver University is also an option instead of Seattle. They have a 7200 seat arena and have won numerous national titles in other sports. A step up from the Summit league might do them wonders and of course there is the obvious market footprint that expands the leagues reach and tv eyes.

zagdontzig
02-23-2017, 10:52 AM
I'd rather shed a few of the bottom feeders before adding anyone.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 10:52 AM
If they can't be a Top 100 program and spend the $$ to be one, I don't see any reason to add them.

They have spent 200 million over the last 5 years improving facilities and the campus. They won 27 games last year and are on pace for over 20 wins again this year. Again, Dan Majerle is their coach, he has a pedigree. The competed well with Arizona and Louisville this year in the non conference schedule...also played Duke (but got blown out). They arent a slouch at Basketball.

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 10:54 AM
I'd rather shed a few of the bottom feeders before adding anyone.

Only way I'd consider it is if an unbalanced schedule was adopted. Conference season is too long with 18 games, cuts out the opportunity for an OOC game with a ranked opponent in February.

Bogozags
02-23-2017, 10:55 AM
If memory serves there was a previous thread on this subject and I believe GCU is a For-Profit school and that's was the biggest knock on that program by "us" board members...

I personnaly have no desire to add any other schools to the WCC, even if BYU departs...nine teams just means we have two more quality OOC games and a bye date for a game against a "Memphis" type team as we did in the past...last year we played SMU...

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Only way I'd consider it is if an unbalanced schedule was adopted. Conference season is too long with 18 games, cuts out the opportunity for an OOC game with a ranked opponent in February.

Definitely agree on switching to an unbalanced schedule. 18 games in conference is normal though. Pac 12 plays 18 also. I dont see why we couldnt sneak a game or two in on mondays or tuesdays during the conference season. Also lets be real, we need to stop scheduling South Dakota, Utah Valley, Bryant, MVSU, and Quinnipiac quality teams during the Non conference season.

gonzagafan62
02-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Cuts out a lot of non conference. We had some killer schedules between 2008-2011

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Cuts out a lot of non conference. We had some killer schedules between 2008-2011

Yeah i feel like Few has been scheduling "just enough" for a few years now though. Its like he knows exactly how many big games they need to win in the non conference and he wont schedule any more than that.

GoZags
02-23-2017, 11:02 AM
There is a pretty decent chance their ex NBA player Coach will be at the University of Washington next season (unless Randy Bennett decides to make a change). This is FAR from being "done" but is the outcome that the Big UW donors want to see.

Hey Guys,

Has anyone thought about Grand Canyon University? They have a fantastic arena, campus, they are a similarly minded university to Pepperdine (christian liberal arts college). They have a former NBA player at coach, they dont play football, they are tourney eligible next year. They expand the conferences reach into the southwest. Seems like a really good fit. Thoughts?

other info:
They have 3 NAIA national championships
a couple former NBA players (and Tim Salmon from Major league baseball)
They made the D2 tourney frequently.

Zagceo
02-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Bold move eat his contract and say goodbye to top recruiting class

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 11:08 AM
There is a pretty decent chance their ex NBA player Coach will be at the University of Washington next season (unless Randy Bennett decides to make a change). This is FAR from being "done" but is the outcome that the Big UW donors want to see.

I had not heard Dans name in rumors with the UW potential opening. Interesting. I think GCU has a goal to compete on a high level at Basketball though. Their commitment to a big coach and arena suggests that. I watched the Louisville-Grand Canyon game earlier this year and the fans were rabid.

GoZags
02-23-2017, 11:24 AM
I had not heard Dans name in rumors with the UW potential opening. Interesting. I think GCU has a goal to compete on a high level at Basketball though. Their commitment to a big coach and arena suggests that. I watched the Louisville-Grand Canyon game earlier this year and the fans were rabid.

Whispers in the right circles for now. I imagine that if(when?) Romar is let go that it'll become more wide spread.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Apparently Randy Bennett thinks Grand Canyon is going to be in the WCC after they get done with their D1 probationary period.

AZCentral (http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/gcu/2015/06/13/antelopes--wcc--grand-canyon--west-coast-conference--brewer--asu--hurley--basketball/71175576/)

Also i read a message board and Dan makes 1.5 million a year at GCU now. He would be the highest paid coach or on par with Few/Bennett/Rose in the WCC if they were to join, apparently he doesnt want to leave Phoenix and has kids in school and businesses in the area.

former1dog
02-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Should only admit if its to replace a team.

10 teams is big enough.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Apparently i was mistaken about 200 million spent on campus/athletics facilities over the last several years, its actually 400 million...Also they are working hard to go back to a non profit institution.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 11:35 AM
This article (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4956527-155/state-colleges-grand-canyon-beats-utah) already has GCU in the West Coast Conference for Basketball...lol

Zagger
02-23-2017, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Grand Canyon added with an unbalanced schedule. If we had to boot a school .... I wasn't very happy with how LMU fouled the Zags.

strikenowhere
02-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Hell no - why dilute the league even more with another 150 rpi, 180 kenpom team?

GoZAGsMang
02-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Please just stop! Stop trying to make our conference stronger by adding weak teams.

Pacific already cost us a quality opponent and now you want to make it even worse.

Maybe we should make Cameron Dollar and Rex Walters our co-head coaches and play a 4 big line-up while we are at it.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 12:56 PM
Please just stop! Stop trying to make our conference stronger by adding weak teams.

Pacific already cost us a quality opponent and now you want to make it even worse.

This opinion is shortsighted in that it assumes we would go to a 22 game balanced schedule with a 12 team conference. That is not the case. We would actually be adding an up and coming program that would improve scheudling and by proxy dumping a couple games a year in round robin by going to an unbalanced schedule. Open up your mind a little.

gonstu
02-23-2017, 01:01 PM

Maybe we should make Cameron Dollar and Rex Walters our co-head coaches and play a 4 big line-up while we are at it.

:clap:

:roll:

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 01:07 PM
This opinion is shortsighted in that it assumes we would go to a 22 game balanced schedule with a 12 team conference. That is not the case. We would actually be adding an up and coming program that would improve scheudling and by proxy dumping a couple games a year in round robin by going to an unbalanced schedule. Open up your mind a little.

A bit condescending, aren't we? Is there an affiliation to Grand Canyon that we should know about?

Zags_Fanatic
02-23-2017, 01:11 PM
They are also at or near the top of the Cost of Living Allowance scale and are paying significant money to bring in decent players and a FANTASTIC home environment. If you were to bet on a future up and coming program, GCU would be very desirable.

maynard g krebs
02-23-2017, 01:11 PM
Rather see the WCC contract than expand, and allow for more OOC scheduling flexibility. Not gonna happen of course.

thebigsmoove
02-23-2017, 01:23 PM
Condescending? No. Im providing education on the reality of going from 10-12 teams. And no im not affiliated with GCU. Im actually a student at the University of Louisville and have been a Gonzaga fan my whole life. Used to run Zagaholic for years.

RenoZag
02-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Would rather see the Zags play an up-and-coming GCU than the OOC dreck ( Bryant, Utah Valley) they played this season.

And while we're wishing: An early season "Challenge" ( a la the ACC - Big Ten Challenge ) between the WCC and another conference ( Big 12 ? Mountain West ? Big West ? )

In the meantime: Beat the Toreros !

willandi
02-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Maybe GCU could go to the Pac 12, and UW could come to the WCC, if that isn't too big an RPI hit!

zag67
02-23-2017, 03:17 PM
FYI.

GCU (148) has an RPI that is equal to Santa Clara (147)and about 60 better than UW.

And I would think that they are an up and coming team.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Grand Canyon is NOT a college, it's a glorified storefront.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
02-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks Jazz. When they become a real college I will be happy to entertain the notion. Right now, uh, nope.

seacatfan
02-23-2017, 05:05 PM
I know several current students at GCU. They are under the impression that they are at a real college. They are also loving their experience there. The parents of those students are also very happy w/ what GCU offers.

thebigsmoove
02-24-2017, 03:35 AM
I know several current students at GCU. They are under the impression that they are at a real college. They are also loving their experience there. The parents of those students are also very happy w/ what GCU offers.

Yeah ive done a lot of research on them and the only reason they chose to go "For profit" was to get out of a financial disaster. They have submitted requests to go back to "not for profit" and have been fighting with their accrediting agency to get that done. Most people who understand the dynamics of the "For profit" sector understand that GCU is not like the University of Phoenix or ITT Tech. They are a respectable christian Liberal Arts program that has a quality GPA and alumnus base that values their education they received at GCU.

thebigsmoove
02-24-2017, 04:24 AM
Interesting article (http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/dan-majerle-leads-grand-canyon-to-startling-success-021816) on Dan Majerle and GCU.

JPtheBeasta
02-24-2017, 04:45 AM
Grand Canyon is NOT a college, it's a glorified storefront.

When I look at the endowments of so-called "non-profit" schools, I wonder if it's a distinction without a difference.

FuManShoes
02-24-2017, 05:28 AM
The last thing this league needs is more teams. If anything the addition of Pacific and even BYU has diluted the product and reduced the opportunity to schedule an attritional or out of conference team. At some level you have to wonder are the Zags undefeated and clicking on all cylinders because of the WCC or in spite of it. No more teams. But the ones in the league need to step the #### up. Last night was embarrassing (or what I saw of it until the signal cut out).

Bogozags
02-24-2017, 05:34 AM
I guess if the WCC was expanded to 12 teams then the scheduling might work to GU's benefit.

Schools in the same division would play each other home and away. North Division would play six games against South Division schools in one year and in the next year, the same schools would reverse the home/road schedule. Each school would play a 16 game conference schedule. This schedule would allow GU to play 2 extra OOC games...

North Division

GU
Seattle
Portland
BYU
SMC
UOP

South Division

USF
SCU
LMU
PU
USD
GCU

There are arguments that Seattle can't compete within the WCC BUT maybe playing in this conference might improve their ability to recruit players...

The only other option would be for the MWC to extend an invite to GU to going and bring all their sports, which would allow the MWC to have 12 schools that compete in all sports. They already have 12 football schools with the addition of Hawaii as a football only school and GU would fill in for Hawaii in all the other sports...I am not sure GU plays each sport the MWC has but they could add those they might be lacking...

I personally like the idea of GU playing in the MWC...just how do we convince the MWC this is a win for them as well?

Bogozags
02-24-2017, 05:34 AM
When I look at the endowments of so-called "non-profit" schools, I wonder if it's a distinction without a difference.

IVY League schools are a good example of this...

jazzdelmar
02-24-2017, 05:50 AM

Good point...I could tell you plenty of stories about that.........the Ivies, in particular, hoard money and only recently facing the threat of Congress to disperse funds like a normal foundation now give far more generous aid to students with family incomes under $100K. That's just the tip of the iceberg. It is a scandal, but so is the trillion dollars we taxpayers underwrite at profits makers such as GCU.....

jazzdelmar
02-24-2017, 05:51 AM

Delusion is very powerful....don't expect prospective employers to be so accepting......

TexasZagFan
02-24-2017, 07:00 AM
Delusion is very powerful....don't expect prospective employers to be so accepting......

Having a degree from GU didn't exactly get my foot in the door down here in Texas, so few people have ever heard of the school. Then again, it was probably more that my resume was probably not very spellbinding. As years passed, my usual interview lasted 45 minutes, with "gee whiz, we're sorry, but it appears your resume is too strong for this position."

Recalling the nuggets from Black Dan and Fr. Gerry Kohls, my next question was, "for future use, where should I dumb down my resume?"

Yeah, I despise HR. :lmao: