PDA

View Full Version : OT - Pitino Heckler Ejected From Game For Saying "Pitino, You Suck"

CDC84
02-23-2017, 09:06 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/video-louisville-rick-pitino-restrained-heckling-coward-unc-fan/1upk70u3urkgd12qfhf124pq3j

I don't know how I feel about this. If the guy was drunk and swearing and acting like he wanted to fight Pitino that would be one thing, but to toss the guy out without even giving him a warning? Wonder if he paid $400 for his ticket? I used to go to a lot of MLB games as a kid, and fans would says things like "Pitino, You Suck" at the manager almost every single game, inning after inning. And the hecklers were close enough to where the manager could hear it. The ushers and no one cared until cuss words were used or threats were made. But the ushers warned and/or ejected the heckler not for what he was saying to the manager or player, but because kids were around or because fans in the surrounding area were getting irritated by the guy's behavior (it was taking away from their enjoyment of the game).

Student sections say things far worse things to players behind the basket while they are shooting free throws than "Pitino, You Suck." And I don't buy Pitino's line about how he expects that treatment from students and that they get a pass for saying "Pitino, You Suck." A 23 year old is a grown adult legally. In short, I think Ricky is making enough money in salary and endorsements to just walk past a heckler like this without creating a fuss.

SWZag
02-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Triggers are all the rage these days. Maybe that's Pitino's trigger, "you suck!"

75Zag
02-23-2017, 10:26 AM
No doubt a reflection of my age, but I continue to hope for some minimum standards of decency, even at sporting events. Just as I didn't allow my kids to tell me to XXXX OFF when asking them to do their homework or whatever, I don't enjoy paying to attend an event and then have somebody make me uncomfortable because he or she decides to exercise their 1st Amendment right to scream profanities. There is an article in today's New York Times about a woman who was refused admission to a classical music event at Lincoln Center in NYC because she was wearing a jacket that said XXXX Trump on the back. While I might agree with her politics, there is a time and place for everything.

But I suspect I am a dinosaur on this issue.

See you in Salt Lake, and Go Bulldogs!

ProVeeZag
02-23-2017, 10:29 AM
No doubt a reflection of my age, but I continue to hope for some minimum standards of decency, even at sporting events. Just as I didn't allow my kids to tell me to XXXX OFF when asking them to do their homework or whatever, I don't enjoy paying to attend an event and then have somebody make me uncomfortable because he or her decides to exercise their 1st Amendment right to scream profanities. There is an article in today's New York Times about a woman who was refused admission to a classical music event at Lincoln Center in NYC because she was wearing a jacket that said XXXX Trump on the back. While I might agree with her politics, there is a time and place for everything.

But I suspect I am a dinosaur on this issue.

See you in Salt Lake, and Go Bulldogs!

Respectfully, if you must "agree with her politics", do it somewhere else. Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
02-23-2017, 10:42 AM
No profanities were used by this fan. And he only said, "Pitino, You Suck" once. Just seems extreme to kick the guy out because Ricky was offended. Wonder if he paid $300 at stubhub for the ticket??

ZagNative
02-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Pitino gives me the creeps.

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 10:52 AM

I simply don't get why he is so revered among the network analysts. He has yet to be held accountable for the violations in his program.

sittingon50
02-23-2017, 10:56 AM
Was surprised something as mundane as "you suck" set him off. Initially I thought it was probably something about hookers.

Saxon_zag
02-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Respectfully, if you must "agree with her politics", do it somewhere else. Go Bulldogs!

:roll::roll: Someone needs a safe space, he said he "might". Don't get triggered. That comment was harmless

Also if we are going to start throwing people out at sporting events for "you suck". The stands would be empty pretty quick

BayAreaZagFan
02-23-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm sure it wasn't the first time Pitino has heard that, and now because of his reaction, it definitely won't be the last!

Bogozags
02-23-2017, 11:27 AM
I simply don't get why he is so revered among the network analysts. He has yet to be held accountable for the violations in his program.

TSF it is about money and the fact that UL comes from a Big Five conference...ESPN and other sports networks and their announcers need to keep their "Bread Buttered" for job security...UL has tons of fans and when announcers "slam" a fan's favorite school, they get upset...just think if Heister "slammed" Coach Few for the the "Shroom" incident years back, he would have caught all kinds of grief or even gotten fired...

Big Five conferences are held to a different standard...UNC will never be penalized as they should for 20 years of athletes cheating/lying about taking African Studies...

Heck, Mississippi just self imposed a year's TV probation in lieu of a possible NCAA sanction...this way the kids in that "cheating" program can't transfer without penalty...

I hate this system...it's like the steroid baseball era...most spectators could care less about those that cheated and the baseball media is lowering their standards to allow Bonds and the like into the BBHOF

LongIslandZagFan
02-23-2017, 11:30 AM
I think he overreacted and then when the guy got ejected, he just went with it. I think deep down, Rick knows he overreacted, but is just going with it.

Look, I agree in 75Zag in that there should be some level of decency, but by the same token... he is paid millions to coach a team, he can have a bit more tolerance with being heckled. If anything, the guy should have been tossed for such a lame thing to yell out. If you are going to get kicked out... make it worth it.

jbslicer
02-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Especially when he wears his white suit.

Birddog
02-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Especially when he wears his white suit.

This one?
http://www.woodyallenpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-sex-but-were-afraid-to-ask.jpg

sittingon50
02-23-2017, 03:29 PM
"What am I doing here?"

CDC84
02-23-2017, 03:39 PM
"Pitino, What's Your Latest Indiscretion?"

That one would really set him off. He'd ask that the heckler never be allowed in the arena again.

Corky
02-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Pitino is a snowflake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Was surprised something as mundane as "you suck" set him off. Initially I thought it was probably something about hookers.

Or some lady he met at an Italian restaurant...

willandi
02-23-2017, 07:09 PM
It would seem like, if "Pitino! You suck", was all he said, he will, with a good attorney, get back much more than his ticket cost.