PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi's NEW Bracketology is out

Reborn
02-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Gonzaga is the 4th #1. North Carolina takes over the 3rd #1 spot.

Obviously, Lunardi feels a lot different about the Zags then I do. Kansas and Villanova exchange places. Villanova loses at home and barely moves. Lunardi is certainly not in awe of the Zags. Well, I'm sure he's not alone.

Go Zags!!!

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-23-2017, 08:18 AM
This is why I really hope Zags get on a roll this postseason and prove all the doubters wrong by winning WCC tourney then knocking off several "Power 5" and blue blood schools!

Mantua
02-23-2017, 08:24 AM
Butler is a 3 seed.
St. Mary's, a 6 seed.

former1dog
02-23-2017, 08:40 AM

Obviously, Lunardi feels a lot different about the Zags then I do. Kansas and Villanova exchange places. Villanova loses at home and barely moves. Lunardi is certainly not in awe of the Zags. Well, I'm sure he's not alone.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn,

Where do you get the S curve info to determine which seed Gonzaga is?

ZagOD7540
02-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Lunnardi is a clown. He's asleep in his parent's basement when Zag games are on.

zagbeliever
02-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Lunnardi is a clown. He's asleep in his parent's basement when Zag games are on.

:roll:

DixieZag
02-23-2017, 09:02 AM
I have heard disparagement of every prognosticator (much of it deserved). Is there one out there that's generally more respected than others? Or, is the only real value in comparing all together? Last year, if I recall, we were lower than the consensus.

Weird. Prior to the release of the committee findings putting us as 4th One seed, it appeared that most writers (as opposed to brackets guys) had us as the first one seed, two at the lowest. Then the committee comes out with us at the 4th (and I don't buy there "huge gap" if we lose one). Perhaps many of those people are now just parroting what they see from the committee (which, of course they should).

Bracketologists have different audiences, they try to pick teams fitting the s-curve, close to committee's picks, the committee picks their S-Curve knowing CBS is leaning over their shoulders. Call me tinfoil hat, I call others naÔve. Viacom spends billions on the tournament, they have a duty to shareholders to almost insist on some "editorial control" (and signed confidentiality on the part of all). Of course, it can all go unsaid, and work perfect.

Reborn
02-23-2017, 09:07 AM
Reborn,

From experience. The top #1 seed is always at the top left part of the page. Moving clockwise, the SEOND HIGHEST #1 SEED is on the top right part of the page. So and so forth. Just continue to go clockwise , ans GU will appear on the bottom ledt side of the page as the FOURTH #1 seed.

former1dog
02-23-2017, 09:08 AM
From experience. The top #1 seed is always at the top left part of the page. Moving clockwise, the SEOND HIGHEST #1 SEED is on the top right part of the page. So and so forth. Just continue to go clockwise , ans GU will appear on the bottom ledt side of the page as the FOURTH #1 seed.

Thanks.

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-23-2017, 09:19 AM
I think you are looking too much into it.. if you look at the bracket he did immediately after the selection committee said we were the fourth #1, he has us listed the second #1 by your reasoning.

I really don't think he looks that closely at it.

MDABE80
02-23-2017, 09:19 AM
A lot of this is politics. Three months have gone by and a full month since the Zags ascended. Throughout, the ciriticism has risen. DOn't epect things to change now. Joe's in the East and he answers to those in the East. Likewise the big voices are in the East.
We do our talking on the court. It's always been that way. Good to see Butler holding it's own. Too bad Creighton lost it's PG or they'd have been an E 8 team. Nova going down last night was disappointing but it didn't bother them too much.
I doubt Nova repeats. Hard to do. Let's just hope we're there in the end. Outside of Oregon, if the brackets are accurate (never happens) we'd have a decent path to the FF. All this is for fun till the 12th of March.

coolhandzag
02-23-2017, 09:21 AM
"Joey Brackets" has cut himself a nice little niche market with the NCAA Tournament. Good for him, because without he might be living in a tree.

The bracket is a single elimination tournament.....and this Zag version passes the eye test (mine anyway....but I'm also biased). With a little good fortune this Zag club may make more noise than expected. I believe that this Zag club with temper and harden with each bracket game. If they can make the Elite Eight (which I believe they will) they will be a tough out against anyone.

San Diego is next....lets see what happens.

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 09:24 AM
"Joey Brackets" has cut himself a nice little niche market with the NCAA Tournament. Good for him, because without he might be living in a tree.

The bracket is a single elimination tournament.....and this Zag version passes the eye test (mine anyway....but I'm also biased). With a little good fortune this Zag club may make more noise than expected. I believe that this Zag club with temper and harden with each bracket game. If they can make the Elite Eight (which I believe they will) they will be a tough out against anyone.

San Diego is next....lets see what happens.

I was thinking he'd be living in a van down by the river...

75Zag
02-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Love the Bulldogs and the fact that they are likely to get a 1 seed as long as they don't lose a game between now and Selection Sunday.
It is tough to keep things in perspective, but with all due respect to the WCC, GU's slaughter of the WCC is not a reliable predictor of future NCAA greatness, just as having your kid win the fastest swimmer award at the Hillyard Aquatic Park is not a reliable predictor of him or her winning Olympic Gold. I don't fault the Committee for questioning whether GU is currently the best team in the country based upon their campaign through the WCC.

Big Fish, Small Pond, Etc.

See you in Salt Lake City and Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
02-23-2017, 09:35 AM
I am more concerned about the prospect of losing a number one seed with a loss than I am about where GU stands on the S curve. Unless several teams back east stumble, it appears as if the Pac 12 champ is going to be the #2 out west (presuming GU wins out). I don't see the committee giving the west region a Pac 12 team as it's 3rd seed because teams from the same league are not supposed to face each other until the last possible round (I think it's the elite 8...if possible). However, if several teams back east do stumble, there is the possibility that the Pac 12 champ might get the Memphis regional, with Gonzaga getting the next best Pac 12 team as its two. Remember, the committee has this silly adherence (apparently approved by the coaches) for geography. They want to keep teams as close to home as possible for the regionals, even if it creates a region that is unbalanced. It's why we see a region almost every year that is way tougher than the others. It's why we saw Wisconsin and Arizona out west in 2015 when Nova should've been put on the two line with Wisconsin as the one in the east and Zona the one in the west.

RenoZag
02-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Reborn,

Nitty Gritty Report is also helpful, former: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/nitty

former1dog
02-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Nitty Gritty Report is also helpful, former: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/nitty

Thanks!

sharpzag
02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
What happens if...

Zags win out, and Arizona or Oregon win the Pac12 tourney. Is there a chance that Arizona or Oregon get a 1 seed as well as us? If that happens, could we get pushed out of the west region?

Or, if we lose a game, and Arizona or Oregon wins the Pac12 tourney? Do we slide to 2 seed in west? Or, could we get pushed to 1 seed in a different region?

sittingon50
02-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Joe is a very nice guy & very approachable.

Not sure why all the bad-mouthing. He normally gets the right teams in; the problem is placement & who in the world could be very accurate until ALL the games have been played?

75Zag
02-23-2017, 10:05 AM
I am confident that if GU loses any one game they will be a 2 in the West no matter what else happens. If they don't lose a game between now and Selection Sunday it is hard to see how they could possibly become a 2. If Oregon somehow earns a 1 seed without a GU Loss I think it will be due to a significant loss by UNC or Kansas or UNC and a dominating performance by Oregon in the Pac 12 tournament. In that case I have no idea whether GU might be moved to the Midwest, or Oregon moved to the Midwest, or ??? The new NCAA rule this year allowing the overall #1 to choose its region makes guessing a bit more complex.

Interesting mind games this time of year, and yet another reminder why it is very risky to buy non-refundable tickets for travel to the NCAA venues before Selection Sunday.

See you in Salt Lake City and Go Bulldogs!

jake
02-23-2017, 10:06 AM
We are legitimate #1 seed, but I don't see a big lack of respect from someone putting us as something other than the top 1 seed. I think 75Zag is right in his comments above. My impression is we're a very good team that has done all we can with what we've been given in conference play. However, to argue we're not being respected if someone has us at number 2 to 4 overall is, in my opinion, overly sensitive. It's a reality in conference play that others have more chances at big wins and harder schedules. It's not punishing Gonzaga to reward those teams. I don't think you can say someone saying Kansas should be the #1 overall seed is wrong, nor do I think someone is wrong that says the same thing about the Zags.

webspinnre
02-23-2017, 10:14 AM
As long as we don't lose and have the 1 out West, I don't care where on the S curve we are, really.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Watched 3 sensational games last night ...... high level of comp involving ranked teams....tonight we have USD, then BYU.......what don't y'all understand?

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 10:30 AM
Watched 3 sensational games last night ...... high level of comp involving ranked teams....tonight we have USD, then BYU.......what don't y'all understand?

You're poking this bear...third straight game the Zags aren't on in D/FW. I'm not a happy camper. I'm heartened knowing the rest of their games will be national broadcasts.

btzag
02-23-2017, 10:34 AM

How they can put so much focus on wcc competition and almost completely ignore huge neutral site wins over top opponents like zona, Florida, Iowa st or wins over st. Mary's or an undefeated season with a huge margin of victory or the record level of statistical evidence from kenpom vs #2 and beyond. I could go on but that's what I don't understand.

sittingon50
02-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Hope you're not including the Ducks, Jazz. For the 1st 30 minutes Walton was the only one that was entertaining!

(that oughta' get some response)

maynard g krebs
02-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Go Zags!!!

Joe isn't basing this on his opinion. He's trying to predict what he thinks the committee is going to do. Don't shoot the messenger.

Zagger
02-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Hillyard Aquatic Park

:roll:

Dang, I hate driving slow through there! Seems like it's always when I'm in a hurry!

Reborn
02-23-2017, 02:06 PM

I don't know what I don't know. Maybe you can tell me. However, I KNOW what I do know. This is what I know. Gonzaga can beat anyone in Div I college basketball. There are probably 12 teams that could win the NCAA Tournament. And Gonzaga is definitely one of them. I don't understand why you feel that I'm missing something. Sure the teams who played this week,and last on TV looked real good and they were good games. But imo, Gonzaga looks as good if not better. Honestly, I DON'T get why you don't feel Gonzaga is worthy of the top #1 seed. Your thinking seems as biased as the thinking of the Blue Bloods.

avid-zag-fan
02-23-2017, 02:32 PM
the committee therefore Lumbardi uses BPI-rpi for seedings. it's designed for power conferences. I'm sure ratings are better for bigger name schools than for better, but lesser known schools. I'm more concerned who they seed against us as the 8-9 seed, Wichita state was a nine seed, but that was 4 seed lines below their KenPom ranking. They matched us up against Davidson with the best shooter ever and gave them home court advantage. That committee discretion hurts us a bunch.

jazzdelmar
02-23-2017, 02:39 PM
I don't know what I don't know. Maybe you can tell me. However, I KNOW what I do know. This is what I know. Gonzaga can beat anyone in Div I college basketball. There are probably 12 teams that could win the NCAA Tournament. And Gonzaga is definitely one of them. I don't understand why you feel that I'm missing something. Sure the teams who played this week,and last on TV looked real good and they were good games. But imo, Gonzaga looks as good if not better. Honestly, I DON'T get why you don't feel Gonzaga is worthy of the top #1 seed. Your thinking seems as biased as the thinking of the Blue Bloods.

Bornster. Uh uh , I wasn't saying GU should not be a 1. I'm saying the other top teams are in a glaring spotlight as they play top tier talent and on national TV. Otoh, the Zags, well, you know the drill, out of sight out of mind.

DixieZag
02-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Bornster. Uh uh , I wasn't saying GU should not be a 1. I'm saying the other top teams are in a glaring spotlight as they play top tier talent and on national TV. Otoh, the Zags, well, you know the drill, out of sight out of mind.

Definitely. The part that bugs me is that I DO think it becomes a little disrespectful when there isn't a team in the country besides us with less than 3 losses, and we're supposedly the fourth best team in the nation, with top 5 both sides of the ball on Kenpom, and plenty of top 50 wins, and STILL the 4th?

No one's saying we'd be undefeated, but I think we might well be one of the ones with 3 losses, maybe only 2? Maybe 4? And it's not like I care much about whether we're the overall one or the overall fourth one (though maybe it matters in who you play/when). I care that the committee just told us; "lose a game and you're likely on the 2 line" - yes, they said "there was a clear line ..." - but that was when we were undefeated. That bugs me a bit.

But, love our team, wouldn't trade them.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-23-2017, 03:55 PM
We are legitimate #1 seed, but I don't see a big lack of respect from someone putting us as something other than the top 1 seed. I think 75Zag is right in his comments above. My impression is we're a very good team that has done all we can with what we've been given in conference play. However, to argue we're not being respected if someone has us at number 2 to 4 overall is, in my opinion, overly sensitive. It's a reality in conference play that others have more chances at big wins and harder schedules. It's not punishing Gonzaga to reward those teams. I don't think you can say someone saying Kansas should be the #1 overall seed is wrong, nor do I think someone is wrong that says the same thing about the Zags.

Exactly. Zags are doing their part vs opponents in front of them but no way does beating Gaels, BYU, Dons etc. rate as highly or carry as much weight as beating Baylor, West Virginia, Iowa State in conference play (see Kansas) etc.. Bottom line, Zags gotta prove themselves on the big stage.

Reborn
02-23-2017, 04:03 PM

thanks for clarification.

Reborn
02-23-2017, 04:07 PM
Definitely. The part that bugs me is that I DO think it becomes a little disrespectful when there isn't a team in the country besides us with less than 3 losses, and we're supposedly the fourth best team in the nation, with top 5 both sides of the ball on Kenpom, and plenty of top 50 wins, and STILL the 4th?

No one's saying we'd be undefeated, but I think we might well be one of the ones with 3 losses, maybe only 2? Maybe 4? And it's not like I care much about whether we're the overall one or the overall fourth one (though maybe it matters in who you play/when). I care that the committee just told us; "lose a game and you're likely on the 2 line" - yes, they said "there was a clear line ..." - but that was when we were undefeated. That bugs me a bit.

But, love our team, wouldn't trade them.

I like this post.

Zags11
02-23-2017, 06:17 PM
We should be a 1 seed with one loss or less. (Obviously if no losses) however it depends on the loss IMO. If its to anyone but smc I believe we are dropped to the highest two seed. If its smc? It'll be a 1 seed still.

Honestly I think zags will be 33-0 come selection Sunday and will get the overall number 1 seed.

willandi
02-23-2017, 06:49 PM
The only logical response is "Pitino! You suck!", and hope you don't get kicked out of the game.