PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski's Long Road Back to Gonzaga - New Article from Myron Medcalf

strikenowhere
02-23-2017, 05:41 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18737128/gonzaga-bulldogs-center-przemek-karnowski-long-road-back-injury

Great read about that big guy!

Pallet
02-23-2017, 06:47 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18737128/gonzaga-bulldogs-center-przemek-karnowski-long-road-back-injury

Great read about that big guy!

Good article, I like that Medcalf went all the way to Moranga for it.

djdallaszag
02-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting. Did we ever hear how the injury happened? Hard fall in practice caused a herniated disc so bad it required surgery?

SWZag
02-23-2017, 07:18 AM
Great article!

Also very glad to read this:

Karnowski's parents recently traveled to Spokane.

They'll accompany him during Gonzaga's senior night ceremony before Saturday's game against BYU. And then, they'll travel to the West Coast Conference tournament in Las Vegas.

Zag_Dad
02-23-2017, 07:20 AM
What a great story! So blessed to have Shem back for this historic run... just think, on Tuesday March 7th he will tie the NCAA record for most wins in a collegiate career!

MontanaCoyote
02-23-2017, 08:16 AM
Great article!

Also very glad to read this:

Are we going to miss the big guy or what? So happy that his mom and dad will be there for him on Senior Night. The Old Montana Coyote is going to have tears in his eyes. Such a fine person, such a treasure. There will never be another Karno.
Couldn't be. One of a kind is one of a kind!

sittingon50
02-23-2017, 09:02 AM
Good article, I like that Medcalf went all the way to Moranga for it.

California is a big state, Byron. Where is Moranga?

Edit: Nice article, though.

zagbeliever
02-23-2017, 09:04 AM
All the more reason he deserves the Academic Senior of the year. To maintain good grades while rehabbing in an MBA is a dedicated student. Don't forget to vote for him every day fellow fans.

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 09:25 AM

I dunno, could be under several feet of water, the way it's been pouring rain there.

webspinnre
02-23-2017, 10:18 AM
I dunno, could be under several feet of water, the way it's been pouring rain there.

Truth. My backyard is a swamp.

ProVeeZag
02-23-2017, 10:20 AM

It's really close to Topanga...

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Truth. My backyard is a swamp.

If it will make you feel any better, the City of Irving has yet to repair a half mile stretch of the bike/hiking trail that's next to the Trinity River. Understandable, as flood stage begins at 8 feet, which is reached every time extra water is released from a dam under repair ten miles north of it. The temporary fix was a path around that stretch.

What's the impact on the wine industry over there? I haven't seen too many articles, though it's early in the season.

webspinnre
02-23-2017, 11:08 AM
If it will make you feel any better, the City of Irving has yet to repair a half mile stretch of the bike/hiking trail that's next to the Trinity River. Understandable, as flood stage begins at 8 feet, which is reached every time extra water is released from a dam under repair ten miles north of it. The temporary fix was a path around that stretch.

What's the impact on the wine industry over there? I haven't seen too many articles, though it's early in the season.

To be honest, I haven't really followed that end of things. Its still early in the year, so likely not too much? Rain is really a problem later in the year in that it causes fruit to modl.

Zagger
02-23-2017, 12:05 PM
It's so great to have Mt. K back this season. One of the reasons I'd like to see the Zags go to the FF is to keep seeing the big guy in a Zag uni.

Man, it's hard to see Zags go at the end of their stay at GU. Wondering ...... could Spokane get a NBA team and have it full of ex-Zags - wouldn't that be sweet!

Zagceo
02-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Go big.....just say Sonics should move back to Spokane....

TexasZagFan
02-23-2017, 12:35 PM
All the more reason he deserves the Academic Senior of the year. To maintain good grades while rehabbing in an MBA is a dedicated student. Don't forget to vote for him every day fellow fans.

It's a bit early, but Karno should be a slam dunk in having his number retired. Most wins, academics, the whole shebang.

former1dog
02-23-2017, 01:35 PM
It's a bit early, but Karno should be a slam dunk in having his number retired. Most wins, academics, the whole shebang.

Thats a tough row to hoe, Tex, considering Gonzaga has retired a grand total of 2 numbers! :D

MontanaCoyote
02-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Thats a tough row to hoe, Tex, considering Gonzaga has retired a grand total of 2 numbers! :D

Maybe, but I'm all for it. More than enough rationale to do it. Start the petition!

Zagger
02-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Maybe, but I'm all for it. More than enough rationale to do it. Start the petition!

I'll 2nd that.

maynard g krebs
02-23-2017, 04:02 PM
I'm a huge Karno fan, but there are a few guys in line for a spot in the rafters ahead of him imo.

DixieZag
02-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Agree. It is not disrespectful to Karno to note that, given how they've taken to hanging banners (or not hanging), and given the number of people who've come through? Is Karno special? Absolutely. Is he heads/tails moreso than the Dickaus, Santangelos, Pangos, Bells? Not sure about that.

I am glad to have been 100% wrong on Karno. Given all we see with athletes and back injuries (Tiger? A million other examples?), I thought we'd be way ahead of the ball if he came back and was able to function as a solid back-up to Collins. I thought he'd miss a lot of time to re-aggravating the injury. Instead, he's had his best season, with a pretty good gap between this one and any other.

Hoopaholic
02-23-2017, 06:55 PM
I'm a huge Karno fan, but there are a few guys in line for a spot in the rafters ahead of him imo.

I will withhold my opinion until the year is complete

Zagceo
02-23-2017, 08:02 PM

agree

krii
02-23-2017, 11:07 PM
agree

If, however, he brings the Championship to Spokane and later have a great career in the NBA / Europe + he will be a good ambassador of your school, would you consider him a good choice?

Because in my opinion it is going to happen (at least partially). I know that some guys made a great impact overall in Gonzaga, but was there any single European who had such an influence on Spokane/Gonzaga?

I'm a homer so it's a little bit biased but Karnowski seems to be a perfect choice for such a move. Opening European markets (after all, he was the first big European name to join Gonzaga), living example of Gonzaga values, great story behind, the most successful career ever for a Zag and, possibly, the most successful career for a basketball athlete in the country (as he might hit the top of the winningest basketball player list, that could easily remain unbeaten for dozens years) ... This will mature slowly, I bet. In 10 years everybody will be like 'Shem? daaaamn, that was a guy! imagine a 7"2' mountain with a PG passing skills and moves of the SF. Plus, he was humble, optimistic and funny. What a Zag!' or 'Do you remember how Shem went into 'this is my court' mode? He was killing it!'.
Then, I believe, his shirt WILL BE retired.

Birddog
02-24-2017, 04:06 AM
was there any single European who had such an influence on Spokane/Gonzaga?
I don't really disagree with much of what you write, but you overlooked Ronny Turiaf who played in the NBA for about 10 seasons and who has been a wonderful ambassador for GU. Elias Harris was no slouch either.

tummydoc
02-24-2017, 04:50 AM
Love me some Shem. To me he is the prototypical blue collar, hard hat, lunchpail Zag who just shows up and gets the job done (expertly without arrogance). Great ambassador, but probably not a rafter Zag

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

DixieZag
02-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Because in my opinion it is going to happen (at least partially). I know that some guys made a great impact overall in Gonzaga, but was there any single European who had such an influence on Spokane/Gonzaga?

I'm a homer so it's a little bit biased but Karnowski seems to be a perfect choice for such a move. Opening European markets (after all, he was the first big .

Totally understandable, and love your bias. But he wasn't the first Euro big and there actually is one with more influence, his name is Turiaf and - again, that's no disrespect to Karno.

Your a valued member of the team now here on the board. But, by definition, you came in 5 years ago, with some knowledge of the history, but not having lived it. You'll come to realize that Karno is very special on the court and off. Except, every 5 years, Gonzaga pumps out at least one, perhaps 2 or 3 of that very type of player. Honest.

Karno rehabbed to play a 5th year, that is unique. Not sure if we've had a big do that. But, in terms of ambassadors (foreign/domestic) we get ones at the Karno level at least every 5 years, usually more than one. (how do you retire his jersey before Pangos/Bell? Turiaf? Calvary? Harris? We are very lucky to have him, guys like him continue to keep Gonzaga a very special place.

Vanzagger
02-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Karno shows up when it matters the most. To end his Soph year he was rattling off double/doubles and was the best player on the floor vs Zona. To end his junior year, Few's first Elite 8, he stoned Parker from Duke.

It's unbelievable we've got him for 5

krii
03-08-2017, 01:46 AM
I don't really disagree with much of what you write, but you overlooked Ronny Turiaf who played in the NBA for about 10 seasons and who has been a wonderful ambassador for GU. Elias Harris was no slouch either.

Totally understandable, and love your bias. But he wasn't the first Euro big and there actually is one with more influence, his name is Turiaf and - again, that's no disrespect to Karno.

Your a valued member of the team now here on the board. But, by definition, you came in 5 years ago, with some knowledge of the history, but not having lived it. You'll come to realize that Karno is very special on the court and off. Except, every 5 years, Gonzaga pumps out at least one, perhaps 2 or 3 of that very type of player. Honest.

Karno rehabbed to play a 5th year, that is unique. Not sure if we've had a big do that. But, in terms of ambassadors (foreign/domestic) we get ones at the Karno level at least every 5 years, usually more than one. (how do you retire his jersey before Pangos/Bell? Turiaf? Calvary? Harris? We are very lucky to have him, guys like him continue to keep Gonzaga a very special place.

I've been off a couple of days so sorry for late response Guys :)

I always perceived Ronny as more overseas than European player. He has spent only 3 years in Europe before moving to Gonzaga, and - even more importantly - he came to Paris when he was 15; for comparison: Ricky Rubio played his first game in the Spanish league when he was also 15. But don't get me wrong! I do understand how important Roony was for Gonzaga - I have spent last 5 years not only following Karno but also digging through the history of Gonzaga, its players, successes etc. I love Turiaf, his personality and his game (I actually liked him before I started following Gonzaga ;-)). It's just probably only a matter of definition.

Anyway, thank you for kind words :-) Let's hope that Karnow & co win the Tournament!