PDA

View Full Version : Taking a charge

zag buddy
02-21-2017, 09:10 AM
I've played games all my life and it amazes me to go to the summer scrimmages and watch up close the physicality of the game these days. When I've watched particularly Sacre, Hyfelt, and Batistia go to the rim with momentum, I think it would take an idiot to stand there with no padding, no defensive posture and let these freight trains bowl you over-- it amazes me. At least in football you have padding to absorb the shock. These players are as powerful as a running back and the players just stand there and get run over. It's no wonder that so many injuries occur throughout the year even in practice and I'm surprised there aren't more injuries. The conditioning of these athletics are unbelievable, regardless of how they look. They are solid muscle.

CDC84
02-21-2017, 09:33 AM
I am surprised that we don't see more concussions with guys banging their heads really hard on the hardwood during a charge.

The other thing that I am surprised about is that we don't see more players step on guys who are on the ground after attempting to take a charge. It's really dangerous to have a 270 pound guy step on you with all his weight, or for that 270 pound guy to be twisting his ankle when he steps on the defender.

It used to be more of a danger in the days when it seemed as if half of the players in college basketball were attempting to be Hollywood Actors by flopping all the time. I am so glad that much of that has been weeded out of the game. We still get "charbages" (as I like to call them), but they don't happen nearly as much as they used to. A lot of the whole flopping trend had to do with refs and their egos. Not a better of way of making yourself noticed in a game than sticking your hand behind your head like Adonis while extending your other arm out like a weapon as you're skipping down the floor saying to yourself "Look how sexy I am! Look at me! Look at me!"

Zags11
02-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Now when I took charges from guys double my size, the next morning I could barely walk. It isn't fun.

ProVeeZag
02-21-2017, 01:08 PM
I am surprised that we don't see more concussions with guys banging their heads really hard on the hardwood during a charge.

The other thing that I am surprised about is that we don't see more players step on guys who are on the ground after attempting to take a charge. It's really dangerous to have a 270 pound guy step on you with all his weight, or for that 270 pound guy to be twisting his ankle when he steps on the defender.

It used to be more of a danger in the days when it seemed as if half of the players in college basketball were attempting to be Hollywood Actors by flopping all the time. I am so glad that much of that has been weeded out of the game. We still get "charbages" (as I like to call them), but they don't happen nearly as much as they used to. A lot of the whole flopping trend had to do with refs and their egos. Not a better of way of making yourself noticed in a game than sticking your hand behind your head like Adonis while extending your other arm out like a weapon as you're skipping down the floor saying to yourself "Look how sexy I am! Look at me! Look at me!"

At least they haven't ripped off their top and said "I'm too sexy for my shirt ... too sexy". Tell me they haven't done that.

CDC84
02-21-2017, 01:27 PM
At least they haven't ripped off their top and said "I'm too sexy for my shirt ... too sexy". Tell me they haven't done that.

Not yet. But you never know if the referee working your next game might also be working at Chippendales. Hopefully the flopping epidemic has cooled enough to prevent such an awful event from happening.