PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs. history: No regular-season unbeaten has won it all since 1976

TheZagPhish
02-21-2017, 07:59 AM
CBS, Norlander -- Gonzaga vs. history: No regular-season unbeaten has won it all since 1976 (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/gonzaga-vs-history-no-regular-season-unbeaten-has-won-it-all-since-1976/)

The good news for Gonzaga: Four of five reaching 28-0 since 1976 made the Final Four. Gonzaga has never made a Final Four. If Mark Few’s team can do that, the misguided they-don’t-do-anything-in-March label would be shed. As it stands, Gonzaga is rightfully ranked first in the polls and by most metrics. In my estimation, the Zags have an Elite Eight floor and are right there with Kansas, Villanova, North Carolina or anyone on the short list of title favorites.

CdAZagFan
02-21-2017, 08:20 AM
If you want a barometer for Gonzaga this season, the Elite Eight is a reasonable expectation, a Final Four would make sense, a national title game appearance would be forever memorable, and a championship would conclude one of the best sports stories of the decade.

They've still got a huge hill to climb and a lot of hurdles in their way, but it would be more than one of the best sports stories of the decade...

gonzagafan62
02-21-2017, 08:20 AM
I got a question nobody can give me a reasonable answer to:

WHY NOT US??????

GO ZAGS!!!!!!

MontanaCoyote
02-21-2017, 08:30 AM

WHY NOT US??????

GO ZAGS!!!!!!

Right! 41 years is long enough! The time is right. Let's hope the time has come! GO ZAGS!!!

LongIslandZagFan
02-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Right! 41 years is long enough! The time is right. Let's hope the time has come! GO ZAGS!!!

Let's look at undefeated teams closer:

2013-14 Witchita State - Adj. Offense rank 17, Adj. Defensive Rank 11, Adj Eff margin +25.36
2003-4 St. Joe's - Adj. Offense rank 5, Adj. Defensive Rank 12, Adj Eff margin +27.04
2014-15 Kentucy - Adj. Offense rank 6, Adj. Defensive Rank 1 Adj Eff margin +36.90

Zags: Adj. Offense rank 5, Adj. Defensive Rank 2, Adj Eff margin +34.17

Now... Numerically, the first two aren't close to the Zags, especially on the defensive end. Wildcats... JMHO... the ONLY reason they didn't win the NC is their coach. Cal is an incredible recruiter. His Xs and Os aren't the best. I mean, he isn't Romar or anything like that, but he isn't a guy that can coach his way to a win. He is, at best, an average coach when it comes to the game... he just does well with superior talent that can mask the coaching deficiencies.

Not saying the Zags win it all, though I think they have one heck of a shot at it. But they are different than the last 3 IMHO.

ZagMan in Philly
02-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Great stats there LIZF.

I have a very good feeling about this Zag team, they are so balance, and have two best players (in the country) in their respective positions. They will make history.
Like gonzagafan62 said: "why not us?". Go Zags!!

scrooner
02-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Writers will try and sell the idea that going undefeated is a curse and somehow makes you less likely to win the championship, but the truth is that winning the championship is just really, really hard for even the best teams to do, and takes a lot of luck. There have been lots of incredible teams who didn't do it, like Phi Slama Jama, for example. They made it to the Final Four three years in a row and never won it all.

RenoZag
02-21-2017, 11:19 AM

WHY NOT US??????

GO ZAGS!!!!!!

If they get Killian T back and avoid any additional injuries, they have as good a shot as any of the top contenders.

Bogozags
02-21-2017, 11:28 AM
If thet get Killian T back and avoid any additional injuries, they have as good a shot as any of the top contenders.

I agree and believe our freshman are as cerebral or more so than other freshmen on the "Blue-Blood" programs and that makes a difference...also, the ZAGS are a family, which is why they play so well together.

Of course everything depends on our match-ups in the tourney.

zagdontzig
02-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Well, we've never won it, so I don't think we're banking on history. If we were, is the advice to intentionally lose a game?

gonzagafan62
02-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Well, we've never won it, so I don't think we're banking on history. If we were, is the advice to intentionally lose a game?

Less teams have won a natty with 1 loss than they have with 0. We better stay with 0

Zagger
02-21-2017, 02:22 PM

YeeHaw!

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Also of note: no one-loss team has ever been an undefeated national champion.

sittingon50
02-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Also of note: no one-loss team has ever been an undefeated national champion.

Sure can't argue with pure math!

CDC84
02-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Let's look at undefeated teams closer:

2013-14 Witchita State - Adj. Offense rank 17, Adj. Defensive Rank 11, Adj Eff margin +25.36
2003-4 St. Joe's - Adj. Offense rank 5, Adj. Defensive Rank 12, Adj Eff margin +27.04
2014-15 Kentucy - Adj. Offense rank 6, Adj. Defensive Rank 1 Adj Eff margin +36.90

Zags: Adj. Offense rank 5, Adj. Defensive Rank 2, Adj Eff margin +34.17

Now... Numerically, the first two aren't close to the Zags, especially on the defensive end. Wildcats... JMHO... the ONLY reason they didn't win the NC is their coach. Cal is an incredible recruiter. His Xs and Os aren't the best. I mean, he isn't Romar or anything like that, but he isn't a guy that can coach his way to a win. He is, at best, an average coach when it comes to the game... he just does well with superior talent that can mask the coaching deficiencies.

Not saying the Zags win it all, though I think they have one heck of a shot at it. But they are different than the last 3 IMHO.

Gonzaga's adjusted Eff margin right now is the 2nd highest in the history of kenpom.com. #1 is the 2015 Kentucky Wildcats.

MontanaCoyote
02-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Just No Sports Illustrated Cover!!