Who Do You Want to See - and Not Want to See - as #2 in West Region?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 75Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Who Do You Want to See - and Not Want to See - as #2 in West Region?

Several bad things could happen between now and Selection Sunday, but assuming that everything goes in favor of GU from now until then, which team would you most like to see and which team would you least like to see as the #2 Seed in the West?
    I am not anxious to meet Duke in the Elite 8, but I have a feeling that the NCAA Committee might like to see that matchup.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Don't wanna see:

UNC, Duke, Oregon.

Although I'll play anyone anywhere ....

I wanna see :

Baylor
    A Big 12 team
    Kansas
    Arizona
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
      Don't wanna see:

UNC, Duke, Oregon.

Although I'll play anyone anywhere ....

I wanna see :

Baylor
      A Big 12 team
      Kansas
      Arizona
      Why are most so looking forward to playing Kansas? I think you're giving them short shrift. They've been very impressive in winning their 13 Big-12 title in a row.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Want to see... UCLA
        Don't want to see UNC
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
          Why are most so looking forward to playing Kansas? I think you're giving them short shrift. They've been very impressive in winning their 13 Big-12 title in a row.
          I think it's a moot point anyway but if we play Kansas the way things are heading now it's probably at least Final Four.... so I think that would be a great deal.

I just think we matchup well against them minus the 3, frontcourt better Too guards are nice
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

At any point in post season:

No teams that are good at press defense and convert forced turnovers into transition points.
            ie. Louisville, West Virginia

No teams that are good at offensive rebounding.
            ie. North Carolina

Teams that have a potential monster single player performance.
            ie. Josh Jackson for Kansas, Jayson Tatum for Duke, Josh Hart for Villanova, Bonzi Colson for Notre Dame. (The four individual players that scare me the most, but the rest of their respective teams are manageable). Maybe Malik Monk for Kentucky, but he has been inconsistent at scoring lately.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• dhozagfan08
              Kennel Club Material
              • Jan 2017

+1 to wanting to see big 12 teams(minus WVU) PAC 12 teams(minus Oregon). I think it's going to be whoever gets the highest seed from the PAC 12. Question is, if the league and tourney champs are different in PAC 12, who gets it. I'm hoping for Arizona, unless they figure everything out. They have been like Kansas, just seem to squeak bye every game. They barely beat UW! There's a good chance they could lose before they even make the E8, which would be even better.

Comment

• RenoZag
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post

No teams that are good at press defense and convert forced turnovers into transition points.

ie. North Carolina

ie. Josh Jackson for Kansas, Jayson Tatum for Duke, Josh Hart for Villanova, Bonzi Colson for Notre Dame. (The four individual players that scare me the most, but the rest of their respective teams are manageable). Maybe Malik Monk for Kentucky, but he has been inconsistent at scoring lately.
                Given the way the Syracuse press disrupted GU last March, can we hope the Zags have been working on that ? And special plays for end of game situations?

If the Zags are to make a deep run, they will have to win games against foes that meet one or more of the metrics included in those three paragraphs.
                Last edited by RenoZag; 02-21-2017, 11:15 AM.
                The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• jpn17
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Dec 2011

Baylor, Florida St, UCLA, Oregon, Virginia, Duke, Kentucky

I would be fine with any one of those teams, though I realize the odds of some of them being a 2 seed are low.

UNC, West Virginia, Louisville, Arizona and Villanova concern me (yes I know Nova will be a 1 seed, probably 1st overall)

Comment

• Pallet
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I hope if GU plays a pressing team it's in the round of 16 or final four because that gives the team a few days to prepare for the press. Having a short turn around from a Thursday to Saturday makes the press doubly effective due to unfamiliarity.

Comment

• NEC26
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I don't want UNC as a 2 seed in our region but I think they are playing themselves into the 1 line anyway. I would not mind Duke or Baylor. Don't think either would be easy though.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by MickMick View Post

ie. North Carolina

First on your list, especially. The only thing I've seen this year that really disrupts the flow of the game for the Zag's is when opposing guards swarm all over ours and force bad passes, ill advised drives trying to escape the pressure and turnovers off dribbles in tight company. It's my number one concern in that it's been a problem lately with opposing guards that don't come close to some of the elites we'll be going up against at The Dance.

Comment

• TravelinZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2012

Agree with most of you: Louisville, West Virginia, North Carolina. Have only seen a bit of Oregon; perhaps that's why I view them as good, but not great. Think Arizona collapsed more than Oregon shined. Its that time of the year: teams are tired and nursing injuries, sometimes bored, focus and even down on a given night. The conference tourneys and the NCAAs are still a ways off. The perfect scenario for upsets by unranked teams trying to salvage something from a disappointing season. Hard to remember sometimes that all teams, including the best, are made up of very young men, not precision machines. The essential trick now is surviving an off night, not adding additional luster to a great performance.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                            • Mar 2008

Anyone
                            Anywhere
                            Any time

Go zags
                            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• OregonZag5
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2007

Not Oregon-

I have said this in another thread. Please not Oregon. Grew up 4 blocks from the McArthur Court( old court) and 5 blocks from old football stadium My parents had season tickets to basketball and football and the coaches were their best friends. In fact they would come by after the games( well depending on how they did). Have had season football tickets for over 40 years. One son is a duck, other son is a double duck, the wife is a double duck- not sure what I would do or where I would go if they played each other- The boys, well men, want to play GU to, as they say, to teach their Zag father to stop bragging( as usual not gracious children as I took them both to the National Championship) Their mother is praying the rosary that it does not occur- while she loves the Zags the boys will put pressure on her to root for their and her alma mater. So please no Oregon ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X