PDA

View Full Version : Perkins misses yet ANOTHER wide open lay up

CDC84
02-18-2017, 06:58 PM
I can't go back in the archives and pull out my thread from earlier this year regarding this topic, but the problems just continue and continue with Josh missing wide open lay ups. There was another one tonight. Luckily they got the ball back for a wide open Melson three.

I now have a theory about this.

I think this is related to Josh's traumatic injury in Madison Square Garden a few year's ago. I underline traumatic for a reason. An injury that nasty and terrible leaves a psychological imprint upon your mind. It is not like spraining your angle or screwing up your thumb while chasing a rebound.

We have seen Josh drive towards the rim, absorb contact, and even make the shot plenty of times since the jaw breaking injury. But there's a difference with the wide open lay ups.

He has time to think about the shot.

When gets the ball in the halfcourt and drives toward the hoop, he doesn't think about it. He gets the ball and goes.

But when it's a fast break where he's dribbling a lot towards a shot, he has to think about it. And you can often see him checking around, making sure that no one is near him so that he can protect himself in case of contact.

What the solution is? I don't know. Sports psychologist? All I know is that I have never seen a guard in a Gonzaga uniform miss so many wide open lay ups than Josh. I hate to see it happen to the kid, because it's embarrassing for him.

gonzagafan62
02-18-2017, 07:11 PM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58515-Perkins-(especially)-and-NWG-on-break-away-lay-ups

There you go CDC.

gonzagafan62
02-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Oh, and they do make the backboard for a reason. What's really strange is that NWG did the same thing Perkins did but made it... missing bunnies is what killed us against duke. We've gotta figure it out

CDC84
02-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Why doesn't he just dunk it?? It's not like a player at his height with his level of athleticism can't slam dunk. I mean, he's not a high flyer like Ira Brown, but it's the most effective way of getting the ball in.

gonzagafan62
02-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Why doesn't he just dunk it?? It's not like a player at his height with his level of athleticism can't slam dunk. I mean, he's not a high flyer like Ira Brown, but it's the most effective way of getting the ball in.

That's a good point. He could.

Tmac5360
02-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Where we sit he was coming directly toward us. He looked like he wa s going to dunk but the ball began to slip and he tried to lay it in last minute. Still not ok but that's what it looked like.

CDC84
02-18-2017, 07:21 PM
One of the reasons why Nigel overcame his issues from earlier this season is that he started dunking more. I mean, it's not the prettiest dunk (it even looks awkward), but that's not the goal....the goal is to score the basket.

Goshzagit
02-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Oh, and they do make the backboard for a reason. What's really strange is that NWG did the same thing Perkins did but made it... missing bunnies is what killed us against duke. We've gotta figure it out

I will never, ever forget when we got the game within 2 pts and stole the ball, transition opportunity, and Wiltjer missed a wide-open lay-up to TIE the game with 4 mins to go.

Wiltjer stopped. The crowd ohh'd. And Duke went on a 7-0 run.

JPtheBeasta
02-18-2017, 07:58 PM
I will never, ever forget when we got the game within 2 pts and stole the ball, transition opportunity, and Wiltjer missed a wide-open lay-up to TIE the game with 4 mins to go.

If I was Sam from Quantum Leap, I would want to fix that moment in time, and maybe also jump into JPtheBeasta, er, Batista, and chin that ball.

thespywhozaggedme
02-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Quite possibly the most absurd thread premise of the year. lol

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2017, 08:26 PM
My goodness. He was gonna put it down and the ball came loose a bit and he adjusted. Going forward I can imagine it's gonna be lay ups on the breaks unless he knows he is totally clear. In the grand scheme of things it's not much. But I can see how it stands out given some issues he's been having.

My opinion is that the guys just need to bring it down a notch. Quick is fast. Some of the full length passes that sail out of bounds, etc. that just has to make Few livid.

Outraged
02-18-2017, 08:33 PM
I like his defense! Needs to be a little more careful with the ball. He is much improved. I am happy with him. He has not peaked and will just get better. We need to cheer the defense a little more. Its truly amazing.

CDC84
02-18-2017, 08:36 PM
If I was Sam from Quantum Leap, I would want to fix that moment in time, and maybe also jump into JPtheBeasta, er, Batista, and chin that ball.

Or have a ref with the guts to call a foul and not "let them play" in the final seconds. I know a guy who sat right in front of that Farmar play, and he could hear him slap JP Batista's arm. He was fouled. Still, JP didn't handle the situation well.

Next!

SunDevilGolfZag
02-18-2017, 08:37 PM
I like his defense! Needs to be a little more careful with the ball. He is much improved. I am happy with him. He has not peaked and will just get better. We need to cheer the defense a little more. Its truly amazing.

+1

HenneZag
02-18-2017, 08:38 PM
I think it was a planned play on Perkins part, I mean why score 2 points when you can hit the 3 ball. He saw Melson near by, rebounded his miss and kicked it out for a corner 3 and I don't see why nobody else sees it that way. Genius

Hoopaholic
02-18-2017, 08:57 PM
I think it was a planned play on Perkins part, I mean why score 2 points when you can hit the 3 ball. He saw Melson near by, rebounded his miss and kicked it out for a corner 3 and don't see why nobody else sees it that way. Genius

And wanted an assist to boot

maynard g krebs
02-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Or have a ref with the guts to call a foul and not "let them play" in the final seconds. I know a guy who sat right in front of that Farmar play, and he could hear him slap JP Batista's arm. He was fouled. Still, JP didn't handle the situation well.

Next!

CBS wanted UCLA in the final 4. It's their money, after all. Didn't need to hear the slap; it was obvious on tv.

MontanaCoyote
02-18-2017, 09:35 PM
OK, but I'm more concerned about turnovers. They happen at a much higher rate than missed bunnies. 8 last night between Josh and NWG. Both may be trying too hard and both are showing tendencies of dribbling/driving out of pressure but not escaping it and either getting into a bigger mess or missing a tough/forced shot. (Josh more than WNG) And this against guards that fall quite a bit short of the elites they'll face at The Dance.

Could be wrong, but me thinks some improvement would be good here. Certainly both have played without being bothered by in your face pressure. Pretty sure they can do it again. Hadn't actually seen NWG press until the last few games.

MDABE80
02-18-2017, 09:41 PM
I can't go back in the archives and pull out my thread from earlier this year regarding this topic, but the problems just continue and continue with Josh missing wide open lay ups. There was another one tonight. Luckily they got the ball back for a wide open Melson three.

I now have a theory about this.

I think this is related to Josh's traumatic injury in Madison Square Garden a few year's ago. I underline traumatic for a reason. An injury that nasty and terrible leaves a psychological imprint upon your mind. It is not like spraining your angle or screwing up your thumb while chasing a rebound.

We have seen Josh drive towards the rim, absorb contact, and even make the shot plenty of times since the jaw breaking injury. But there's a difference with the wide open lay ups.

He has time to think about the shot.

When gets the ball in the halfcourt and drives toward the hoop, he doesn't think about it. He gets the ball and goes.

But when it's a fast break where he's dribbling a lot towards a shot, he has to think about it. And you can often see him checking around, making sure that no one is near him so that he can protect himself in case of contact.

What the solution is? I don't know. Sports psychologist? All I know is that I have never seen a guard in a Gonzaga uniform miss so many wide open lay ups than Josh. I hate to see it happen to the kid, because it's embarrassing for him.

Needs a shrink CDC. But I wonder if his trauma caused him to run out of bounds near the stanchion while he was picking up an active dribble. Hard to know but even with his numbers (like last year when he also had numbers) he's just not right I his play.
Something's not adding up. He' got the talent to be a great one but some "block" in his head is cause him trouble. Looks like plain old fear. He's lost his confidence and almost always that's from fear.

jpn17
02-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Where we sit he was coming directly toward us. He looked like he wa s going to dunk but the ball began to slip and he tried to lay it in last minute. Still not ok but that's what it looked like.

That's what I thought too, watching on tv it looked like he wanted to dunk, didn't have complete control of the ball and got caught in between dunking and laying it in and it didn't fall. I'm not concerned. Karno missed a dunk earlier too, it happens.

ZagOD7540
02-18-2017, 09:50 PM
This isn't the first time Perkins has missed an uncontested lay in by doing a finger roll. He can't play fundamental basketball. He always has to add a little mustard to the hot dog. It has nothing to do with the past "broken jaw". Give me a break.

Use the glass!!

HenneZag
02-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Needs a shrink CDC. But I wonder if his trauma caused him to run out of bounds near the stanchion while he was picking up an active dribble. Hard to know but even with his numbers (like last year when he also had numbers) he's just not right I his play.
Something's not adding up. He' got the talent to be a great one but some "block" in his head is cause him trouble. Looks like plain old fear. He's lost his confidence and almost always that's from fear.

You see some games this year where it's clicking, shot selection, patience, confidence. Lately he seems to force his game, over commits to the play, sometimes airborne before he knows what to do with the ball. I think he's trying too hard to make something happen rather than having the game come to him. Josh is a talented player and we need him moving forward, I'm confident he will find his A game.

MDABE80
02-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Henne he better do it soon! lol It's "getting near dark" as Clapton would say, Almost to the point that I trust Melson to just go out and function without the "head" issues. And you're correct, we want Josh to expand his game and do well, Hard to figure out why he's hesitating and sorta looking over his shoulder even on simple plays. CDC's onto something. Something's just not right and it seems to be be worsening.

CDC84
02-18-2017, 09:58 PM
I think it was a planned play on Perkins part, I mean why score 2 points when you can hit the 3 ball. He saw Melson near by, rebounded his miss and kicked it out for a corner 3 and I don't see why nobody else sees it that way. Genius

I think coaches are going to make note of it and be adding it to their playbooks all over the nation! It'll be as original as this UCLA Cut!

cjm720
02-19-2017, 08:18 AM

That seemed to be what he was springing for yesterday then decided to lay it in...he simply needs to be more decisive IMO.

U Zig, I Zag
02-19-2017, 08:31 AM
Re Perkins going out of bounds on the baseline. He got checked out of bounds and should have had the call.

His play is a bit up and down. But I don't think he lacks confidence. Confidence is having a rough game, making a TO, then draining a 3 from 2 feet behind the line with zero hesitation.

I think he is just a bit streaky. Maybe a little over aggressive at times with passes and dribble drive. Like all the guys he works hard on D. He is a good athlete. We are still winning (and learning) not playing our best. If that earns you some mojo points going into the tourney so be it. We win by 25+ playing somewhat poorly. That says a lot.

Hopefully we can pull together a series of well excuted games together in march.

willandi
02-19-2017, 08:59 AM
I remember when I was one of 2 starting PG's on the #1 ranked team in the country, I would steal the ball, head to the hoop thinking "Dunk or Lay in? Lay in or Dunk? Why not just miss to give all the fans something to talk about? Yeah, that's it! That's what I'll do!"

The only problem with dunk when you have to reach for the rim is breaking a bone if you are the slightest bit off. Better to miss, board the ball and pass out for the 3 and an assist!

MDABE80
02-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Re Perkins going out of bounds on the baseline. He got checked out of bounds and should have had the call.

His play is a bit up and down. But I don't think he lacks confidence. Confidence is having a rough game, making a TO, then draining a 3 from 2 feet behind the line with zero hesitation.

I think he is just a bit streaky. Maybe a little over aggressive at times with passes and dribble drive. Like all the guys he works hard on D. He is a good athlete. We are still winning (and learning) not playing our best. If that earns you some mojo points going into the tourney so be it. We win by 25+ playing somewhat poorly. That says a lot.

Hopefully we can pull together a series of well excuted games together in march.
At this time of the year his game should be rising. He's dropped 2 ppg since Feb.
Re: the out of bounds play, he dribbled own there to nowhere, a takeaway was attempted and he simply walked out of bounds. No body contact. and this is why there was no call. I suppose it doesn't matter. I want him rising again. When Josh is good and focused, he's really good.

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Henne he better do it soon! lol It's "getting near dark" as Clapton would say, Almost to the point that I trust Melson to just go out and function without the "head" issues. And you're correct, we want Josh to expand his game and do well, Hard to figure out why he's hesitating and sorta looking over his shoulder even on simple plays. CDC's onto something. Something's just not right and it seems to be be worsening.

Melson for Perkins would be a major upgrade in the starting lineup, it would send a message THIS is the year and provide a decent point guard off the bench. Makes great sense, hence will never happen. But if Few wants to get to the FF this year, he has to do something about his "Perkins problem."

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Melson for Perkins would be a major upgrade in the starting lineup, it would send a message THIS is the year and provide a decent point guard off the bench. Makes great sense, hence will never happen. But if Few wants to get to the FF this year, he has to do something about his "Perkins problem."

so you're saying send a message to the undefeated team by shaking things up? I'm just going to disagree.

it's clear that if/when the Zags lose Josh is going to take some serious Meech like heat from some here :cheers:

willandi
02-19-2017, 10:26 AM
so you're saying send a message to the undefeated team by shaking things up? I'm just going to disagree.

it's clear that if/when the Zags lose Josh is going to take some serious Meech like heat from some here :cheers:

Let's blame it on bad karma from Jazz! That's always a fun thing to do!

Zags11
02-19-2017, 10:29 AM
Shouldn't this thread be locked?

I mean if it was about Stockton it would be.....

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Please it's a basketball forum.....the answer is not to lock a thread.

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Melson has advanced his play and Perkins is inconsistent ......whatta gonna say to fans....

stop talking about it because.....?

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Let's blame it on bad karma from Jazz! That's always a fun thing to do!

whatever love or other jazz gets here he earns willingly, and good on him

please don't lock the thread though I recall some Stockton ones.......

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Not a message to the team, a message to the CBB world.....and maybe to Josh.

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Melson has advanced his play and Perkins is inconsistent ......whatta gonna say to fans....

stop talking about it because.....?

no, but also not gonna say to bench one for the other at this point in the undefeated season, all while another in the 8 man rotation is already (Tillie) out; why cause some self-created distraction to the team right now? Would make no sense to me, contrary to the message jazz thinks it would send. we disagree. Can Melson get some of Josh's minutes depending on play? Absolutely, and has! Few pretty clear that he's going with whoever has got it going on that night among any of the players, including the guards

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 11:07 AM
The Zags are always preaching team.......winning is covering up the inconsistent play of Perkins and if push comes to shove Melson could be closing games come tournament time because of it.....Address it now or address later.....IMO it's gonna be addressed.

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 11:10 AM
The Zags are always preaching team.......winning is covering up the inconsistent play of Perkins and if push comes to shove Melson could be closing games come tournament time because of it.....Address it now or address later.....IMO it's gonna be addressed.

1,000%, CEO. Well put.

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 11:18 AM
good evolution on this thread, from calling for the benching of Josh for Silas to saying Silas could very well close games depending on play, which is what Few currently does to address what's happening in the games already. not looking to be a smart ass, but that's what happens now!

Larryzag
02-19-2017, 11:20 AM

I remember saying out loud that we just lost the game when he missed that layup.

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 11:23 AM
good evolution on this thread, from calling for the benching of Josh for Silas to saying Silas could very well close games depending on play, which is what Few currently does to address what's happening in the games already. not looking to be a smart ass, but that's what happens now!

Closing games we win by 20+ points and games we win by 2 ....little different IMO

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Closing games we win by 20+ points and games we win by 2 ....little different IMO

we agree on that, doesn't change or address the point about what's already happening out there though. basically, Few agrees with you, ok? and I said the same in an earlier post about the minutes going to guys playing best that night, Few has said as much, you know? hey man, we all see how awesome Silas has been playing and has become, and he's getting the important run out there night after night

Zags11
02-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Please it's a basketball forum.....the answer is not to lock a thread.

But it was every time anything negative on Stockton or few...wonder why?

I don't mind but hypocrisy on mods who locked those threads but not this bashing thread.

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 11:35 AM
we agree on that, doesn't change or address the point about what's already happening out there though. basically, Few agrees with you, ok? and we all see how awesome Silas has been playing and has become, and he's getting the important run put there night after night

Perkins seems disengaged and so far the coaches haven't found a trigger....I agree benching is drastic and sends bad vibes but sometimes a coach does it to trigger the player to adjust. Just a tool....look how Melson adjusted to all those quick hooks from Few.

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Perkins seems disengaged and so far the coaches haven't found a trigger....I agree benching is drastic and sends bad vibes but sometimes a coach does it to trigger the player to adjust. Just a tool....look how Melson adjusted to all those quick hooks from Few.

He's not being sent to Pelican Bay, just placed slightly lower among the eight "starters." Regardless, will never happen. Starters are sacrosanct for Few. When was the last starter actually removed?

NumberCruncher
02-19-2017, 11:59 AM
He's not being sent to Pelican Bay, just placed slightly lower among the eight "starters." Regardless, will never happen. Starters are sacrosanct for Few. When was the last starter actually removed?

Last season.

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 12:03 PM
Last season.

Refresh my memory.

NumberCruncher
02-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Refresh my memory.

Alberts in for Dranginis, who was missing his shots. After 10 games, it was back to Dranginis and on to the sweet 16.

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 12:09 PM
comp for PT is a good thing, keeps everyone focused on earning playing time by going for it, for the team and not vs. each other...pretty universally agreed. how it's earned team to team can certainly vary.
on being engaged, his defense is good and steady seems to me, but as others have noted including the coaching staff sometimes he tries to do too much on O, too spectacular. he also has a tendency to pick up his dribble, also noted here by many, when trapped quickly on a change of defense by the opponent; something specific there hopefully he and the Zags can figure out since I'd expect teams will try to trap him like that and force the turnover on him so if he and the Zags can turn that into two points they'll stop

NumberCruncher
02-19-2017, 12:17 PM
comp for PT is a good thing, keeps everyone focused on earning playing time by going for it, for the team and not vs. each other...pretty universally agreed. how it's earned team to team can certainly vary.
on being engaged, his defense is good and steady seems to me, but as others have noted including the coaching staff sometimes he tries to do too much on O, too spectacular. he also has a tendency to pick up his dribble, also noted here by many, when trapped quickly on a change of defense by the opponent; something specific there hopefully he and the Zags can figure out since I'd expect teams will try to trap him like that and force the turnover on him so if he and the Zags can turn that into two points they'll stop

I agree with your analysis. The last few games have not been his best stretch. But, for perspective, let's look at some past Zags.
Santangelo, Stepp, J. Stockton, Pargo and Dickau all turned it over with significantly higher frequency than Perkins has.

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 12:22 PM

Sounds like you're coming around.

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 12:24 PM
I agree with your analysis. The last few games have not been his best stretch. But, for perspective, let's look at some past Zags.
Santangelo, Stepp, J. Stockton, Pargo and Dickau all turned it over with significantly higher frequency than Perkins has.

thanks for the adding that perspective which I was unaware of

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Don't tell me you're placing him in that pantheon of GU points? Kidding, right. Those players did so much more on the court than JP ever has. Yes, even Pargo. Josh has been a point guard but never a lead guard.

zag buddy
02-19-2017, 12:29 PM
as has been stated by many, at this time of the year many players are banged up and bruised. Let's not judge a player when we do not know his physical situation. Actually many that have been disparaged may actually be given a heroic effort given there physical condition at the time of the bashing.

jazzdelmar
02-19-2017, 12:31 PM
as has been stated by many, at this time of the year many players are banged up and bruised. Let's not judge a player when we do not know his physical situation. Actually many that have been disparaged may actually be given a heroic effort given there physical condition at the time of the bashing.

Very true. All the more reason to give him a blow.

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you're coming around.

good spin by you if that's what you mean on coming around...haha

have always seen these things jazz, along with other things that I praise...that is the difference in my mind. and really, all of this started with bench Josh for Silas...and I see you've come around from that.

alright man, good to keep it civil! I got to leave

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 12:35 PM

great post, great to leave on that note! thanks

NumberCruncher
02-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Don't tell me you're placing him in that pantheon of GU points? Kidding, right. Those players did so much more on the court than JP ever has. Yes, even Pargo. Josh has been a point guard but never a lead guard.

Nope. Pantheon placement comes after their careers are over. Josh is still in his Sophomore season.

What I did was point out that those great players now in the pantheon made their share of mistakes along the way.

maynard g krebs
02-19-2017, 01:12 PM
for perspective, let's look at some past Zags.

Goebbels said something to the effect that "if you tell a lie big enough and repeat it often enough, people will come to believe it." So it is with Perkins' alleged turnover problem.

He makes flashy plays, and occasionally they backfire, and people remember them and they multiply in the memory. He was bad the first 10 or so games last year, coming back from the injury. But the rest of last season his a/to rate was 2.7/1 when playing his natural position. It's naturally going to be a bit lower playing off the ball more, but it's still pretty good as I showed in a post a day or 2 ago.

Stepp and Dickau both averaged around 3.2 turnovers per game their junior and senior years combined. Perkins for his career so far is between2.1 and 2.2

JPtheBeasta
02-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Perhaps Few knows the personalities and psyches of his players well enough to know how to make them the most productive. That's one thought.

Melson is doing great coming off the bench and Few might actually think he provides more boost in that role than he would as a starter. I wanted him starting in place of Matthews early in the season when we were getting trounced on the offensive boards, but it occurred to me that Melson might be needed more with the second unit than Matthews. The same might be said about Perkins/Melson.

The biggest factor, I think, is that Few just really likes having two point guards out there at the same time, for the majority of the time.

Zagsker
02-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Quite possibly the most absurd thread premise of the year. lol

Right..it's hilarious

bartruff1
02-19-2017, 06:12 PM
How appropriate ....tonight on the Mark Few Show, the Rodda Finish of the Week was Josh making a very athletic/skilled drive and lay up...

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Very true. All the more reason to give him a blow.

Injury would explain a lot

Remember Niguel making a pre-game call against SCU.

vandalzag
02-20-2017, 06:03 AM
Goebbels said something to the effect that "if you tell a lie big enough and repeat it often enough, people will come to believe it." So it is with Perkins' alleged turnover problem.

He makes flashy plays, and occasionally they backfire, and people remember them and they multiply in the memory. He was bad the first 10 or so games last year, coming back from the injury. But the rest of last season his a/to rate was 2.7/1 when playing his natural position. It's naturally going to be a bit lower playing off the ball more, but it's still pretty good as I showed in a post a day or 2 ago.

Stepp and Dickau both averaged around 3.2 turnovers per game their junior and senior years combined. Perkins for his career so far is between2.1 and 2.2
Numbers only have meaning to some if they align with their personal opinion.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-20-2017, 06:17 AM

When he missed this most recent one that caused this particular thread, I thought he was thinking of dunking it and got caught in between.

NotoriousZ
02-20-2017, 07:47 AM
Has this thread actually evolved into benching Josh and starting Melson? I think most of you know how big a fan I am of Silas, but this is just getting ridiculous.

You want to shake things up and try to fix something that isn't broke to send Josh a message? What is the message? Miss a layup or make one more unforced turnover and we'll pull you out. Glad Few's in charge.

We have four amazing guards that are vital to this team's success. Mathews is an incredible scorer but he can be a bit streaky. Starting Melson for him was also suggested by some here more than once during his two or so "cold" stretches. And while I predicted Melson would be starting in his spot at the beginning of the season, I knew that would have been wrong because it could have messed up the chemistry on this team.

Josh makes some head scratcher plays at times but he also makes some amazing ones, and he's also an incredible shooter. Having two point guards on the court is one of the main reasons the Zags are so good IMO. I know some of you think you know what's best, but if you're for a lineup switch, I don't agree.

GoZags
02-20-2017, 07:52 AM
Has this thread actually evolved into benching Josh and starting Melson? I think most of you know how big a fan I am of Silas, but this is just getting ridiculous.

You want to shake things up and try to fix something that isn't broke to send Josh a message? What is the message? Miss a layup or make one more unforced turnover and we'll pull you out. Glad Few's in charge.

We have four amazing guards that are vital to this team's success. Mathews is an incredible scorer but he can be a bit streaky. Starting Melson for him was also suggested by some here more than once during his two or so "cold" stretches. And while I predicted Melson would be starting in his spot at the beginning of the season, I knew that would have been wrong because it could have messed up the chemistry on this team.

Josh makes some head scratcher plays at times but he also makes some amazing ones, and he's also an incredible shooter. Having two point guards on the court is one of the main reasons the Zags are so good IMO. I know some of you think you know what's best, but if you're for a lineup switch, I don't agree.

Bingo.

MontanaCoyote
02-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Bingo.

Thanks for keeping the gazelle link alive. Gonna keep it forever!

Zagricultural
02-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Josh makes passes no-one else on this team is capable of. That's a fact.

zagbeliever
02-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Josh makes passes no-one else on this team is capable of. That's a fact.

This is true! This thread is beyond ignorant imho. Coach knows players and their abilities far better than we do.