PDA

View Full Version : Mathews. Unsung key player

Hoopaholic
02-18-2017, 06:01 PM
I was blessed to be able to attend the game today....shout out and thank you to uberzagfan

I focused on Mathews on both sides of the ball and came away impressed and how he is a key to the success we see

Defensively he is exceptional off the ball...he moves with the ball precisely and if he is tied to the ball with a rope...his angles were exceptional and he consistently chucks the off ball cutter a key to defend and recover we are playing on pick and rolls

Then when we secure defensive rebound he goes wide straight to the corner..defenders are honoring this threat and shading or outright covering him...why is this vital...it is creating lanes for the bigs to get deep for clean post ups and allies our guards to drive lanes without fear of doubles...many of the layups off the bounce are created by his threat

I came away very impressed with the unsung but critical aspects of the game he is contributing to

Pleasure to watch

Zags11
02-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Agree

zag67
02-18-2017, 07:49 PM
I also agree. Some people are worried about his 3s but he is so solid in other ways. He is making this team a winner.

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2017, 08:40 PM
He is solid all over the court. I wish they would run him off screens and get him room in motion. Right now his shots are coming from ball movement and being open because the D is playing catchup. Perhaps it's the run and gun Pc12 that trained him, but he actually shoots better from deep when he is a little off, leaning. Getting it up quick, etc.

raise the zag
02-18-2017, 08:45 PM
we used to run designed plays for him, but no longer do isolation double screens for Mathews. His shooting has been highly inconsistent since January.

We run mostly iso stuff with the bigs, but would like to see us call plays of for our guards like we did in OOC play.

Nigel and JM and Perkins get open looks via ball movement, which is outstanding, but fun to watch them hit open daggers off half-court plays.

I agree though, Jordan Mathews off-ball defense is extraordinary and not credited enough. This has been mentioned here before, and much deserved. He is generally one step ahead of his opponent on cutting lanes, slashing, movement, etc. Very heady player and nice to see him come so far after being considered a "lazy defender" at Cal. Hardly.

We are going to need this guy big-time in March.

HenneZag
02-18-2017, 08:54 PM
So who's defense is better...Melson or Matthews?

Melson is playing well off the bench and shooting the ball with confidence. How would Melson fair in the starting lineup? Not trying to cause a stir just a discussion.

raise the zag
02-18-2017, 08:55 PM

Nelson is playing well off the bench and shooting the ball with confidence. How would Melson fair in the starting lineup? Not trying to cause a stir just a discussion.

Mathews better, more heady defender off the ball. Melson better, more tenacious defender on the ball.

Both are big reason our defense is Top-2 in the Country.

HenneZag
02-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Mathews better, more heady defender off the ball. Melson better, more tenacious defender on the ball.

Both are big reason our defense is Top-2 in the Country.

I agree with you.

Hoopaholic
02-18-2017, 08:58 PM

Melson is playing well off the bench and shooting the ball with confidence. How would Melson fair in the starting lineup? Not trying to cause a stir just a discussion.

Different types of defenders IMO

Melson exceptional lockdown and on ball defender

Mathews now that I got to watch him live, is exceptional weakside defender

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Jordan is The son of a college coach, and plays like one.

zagsfanforlife
02-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Yes..... but, we need him to regain his stroke if we are going to win the NC. He has been off for the past 10 or so games.

CDC84
02-18-2017, 11:53 PM
Like Byron Wesley, Jordan came into this program with a rep of being a, shall we say, leisurely defender. That has completely changed at Gonzaga, as evidenced in the way he shut down Hermanson in the GU/SMC game. He bought into the idea that he was going to have to do more at Gonzaga than just shoot the ball from deep. I don't know....maybe having the intimidating presence of your godfather on the sidelines as a coach makes the difference :)

I am in agreement with Dickau....I don't feel that one of Jordan's strengths as a shooter is shooting threes while moving on the fast break. He needs to be set. He's great when NWG drives and kicks out, or when Karno hits him when he's doubled.

Zagger
02-19-2017, 02:03 AM
Heck, Jordan's just warming up. Wait til he gets stretched out a bit ;)

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 09:37 AM
I am in agreement with Dickau....I don't feel that one of Jordan's strengths as a shooter is shooting threes while moving on the fast break. He needs to be set. He's great when NWG drives and kicks out, or when Karno hits him when he's doubled.

yeah, it's been discussed how he doesn't come set on the break, still leaning towards the baseline on those 3s and drifting. I think it's technical with footwork, baseline foot maybe a little wider imo when he sets to help balance his lift? ask Dickau the technicals on that shot, seriously, one of you insiders!
going to disagree on Jordan's D at Cal under Martin; Martin's teams may be just OK but they look to get after you defensively and thought Jordan did that fine and actually brought some of that with him to the Zags. in fact, Martin was known to have gotten after Jordan about his d hard his first year, then praised his growth on it subsequently

Mantua
02-19-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm struck by how often opponents forget to guard Matthews when he's set up for a catch and shoot outside the arc. He can be sneaky quiet.

RenoZag
02-25-2017, 10:31 AM
From Jim Meehan in today's S-R: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/25/cal-transfer-jordan-mathews-finds-winning-formula-/

“For me, it means not necessarily scoring as much, but we are winning at a high clip,” said Mathews, who will be honored along with Przemek Karnowski and Rem Bakamus on Senior Night against BYU on Saturday. “It’s not a big tradeoff. I’d rather score 10 points and win than 20 points and lose.”

Mathews wasn’t quite scoring 20 per game at Cal, but he did average 13.5 points and 2.6 made 3-pointers per game as a junior. The Bears reached the NCAA tournament last season and had a talented roster returning, but Mathews wanted a change.

The graduate transfer has found what he was looking for in terms of fit, style of play, chemistry and victories. It didn’t hurt that he’s known Gonzaga assistant coach Donny Daniels for as long as he can remember. Daniels and Mathews’ father, Phil, former coach at San Francisco, are close friends.

“Other schools were involved, but I kind of knew I was coming to Gonzaga after my visit,” Mathews said. “I’m really glad I made the choice.”

Mathews’ smooth 3-point stroke meshes with Karnowski’s passing ability out of double-teams and the play-making of guards Nigel Williams-Goss and Josh Perkins.

Mathews quickly made the choice to improve his defense while displaying the cerebral play at the offensive end that symbolized his three seasons at Cal. He’s averaging more steals and fewer fouls than last season.

“I’m really working on it,” he said, “and really caring about stopping someone as opposed to just wanting to get the ball back in my hands.”