PDA

View Full Version : A few radio comments from GU-Pacific....

Section 116
02-18-2017, 03:28 PM
....I recall. Michaelson noted what almost seemed an afterthought because of the current undefeated status of GU, but the Zags did clinch no worse than a tie for the WCC championship and the right to be the #1 seed and wear the white uniforms in Las Vegas.

Michaelson said while there have been some undefeated WCC league championship teams at GU there has never been a season long undefeated team at GU and that is still there for the taking. Michaelson noted the uneven flow of the game and how a near 30 point victory ended being a 21 point win. He said they expected a physical game from Pacific much as they had when they played at Stockton and that is pretty much what they got. He also noted Stoudamire had a nice game plan for the Tigers and he expects Stoudamire to do a good job at Pacific based on his background in the NBA and the learning experiences he had under several NBA coaches.

Michaelson also said it's just crazy that JW3 can have a double double in 24 minutes.

Regarding Collins Michaelson said 14 points, 9 rebounds and 5 blocks, who does that in 20 minutes.

Regarding Karnowski's tough shooting day from the floor he still finished with 10 and 8 probably caused 15 fouls by Pacific players.

Jeremy Jones was the post game player and I only caught a bit of what he said but Hudson asked him if he is happy with his current role on the team and he is happy with that. Jones said Few has been at GU a long time, he's won a lot of games and he obviously knows what he is doing-to paraphrase Jones as I don't recall exactly what he said after that but it was something along the lines of what's not to be happy with.

Santangelo noted the Zags were 26-30 from the line, making up for a below normal 46% from the floor. Hudson said NGW was 8-8 from the free throw line today and he entered the game at .895% from the line which Hudson said should put in within shouting distance or Derek Ravio's free throw record which Hudson did not think he would ever see.

That's about all I can recall. By the way I'm sure they showed this on TV but Kelly Olynyk and Sam Dower were in the house today!

For those who have not seen this according to ESPN's bottom line the Zags last 20 wins by 10 plus points ties the longest streak in Div 1 basketball in 40 years.

Zags11
02-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Gonzaga tweeted it was bell. Lol. I thought was dower.

SWZag
02-18-2017, 07:04 PM
....I recall. Michaelson noted what almost seemed an afterthought because of the current undefeated status of GU, but the Zags did clinch no worse than a tie for the WCC championship and the right to be the #1 seed and wear the white uniforms in Las Vegas.

Michaelson said while there have been some undefeated WCC league championship teams at GU there has never been a season long undefeated team at GU and that is still there for the taking. Michaelson noted the uneven flow of the game and how a near 30 point victory ended being a 21 point win. He said they expected a physical game from Pacific much as they had when they played at Stockton and that is pretty much what they got. He also noted Stoudamire had a nice game plan for the Tigers and he expects Stoudamire to do a good job at Pacific based on his background in the NBA and the learning experiences he had under several NBA coaches.

Michaelson also said it's just crazy that JW3 can have a double double in 24 minutes.

Regarding Collins Michaelson said 14 points, 9 rebounds and 5 blocks, who does that in 20 minutes.

Regarding Karnowski's tough shooting day from the floor he still finished with 10 and 8 probably caused 15 fouls by Pacific players.

Jeremy Jones was the post game player and I only caught a bit of what he said but Hudson asked him if he is happy with his current role on the team and he is happy with that. Jones said Few has been at GU a long time, he's won a lot of games and he obviously knows what he is doing-to paraphrase Jones as I don't recall exactly what he said after that but it was something along the lines of what's not to be happy with.

Santangelo noted the Zags were 26-30 from the line, making up for a below normal 46% from the floor. Hudson said NGW was 8-8 from the free throw line today and he entered the game at .895% from the line which Hudson said should put in within shouting distance or Derek Ravio's free throw record which Hudson did not think he would ever see.

That's about all I can recall. By the way I'm sure they showed this on TV but Kelly Olynyk and Sam Dower were in the house today!

For those who have not seen this according to ESPN's bottom line the Zags last 20 wins by 10 plus points ties the longest streak in Div 1 basketball in 40 years.

thanks 116!

That last paragraph is mighty impressive!

Once and Future Zag
02-18-2017, 08:04 PM

Title or not, this team is putting their mark on the all-time books as a great team. Right now, they have the highest differential between #1 and #2 in the KenPom efficiency metrics (since 2002).

Also, if - as expected - GU wins out the regular season, the WCC tourney, and the first game of the tournament... that win would be both Mark Few's 500th win, and Mt. K's 134th win, breaking Battier's record.

Zagger
02-19-2017, 02:50 AM

That IS downright spiffy. And very, very likely to be broken by a substantial margin.

I hope the team has the time to go to San Diego early in the week to get some So Cal sunshine. It'll be cool - high temps in 60s - but could be some fun for the team. The storms of early this wknd have passed through.