PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Pacific post game thoughts

Reborn
02-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Gonzaga 82
Pacific 61

For me this was the most boring, and the worse, game of the year. I actually fell asleep, and that was a first ever for me. The stats suggest the same, and there is no need to post them. i'm glad these 2 games are over.

ONE NICE THING. we're 28 and 0. I live that 0.

Go Zags!!!

All Weather Fan
02-18-2017, 03:24 PM
No style points today but 28 & 0.
Refocus for next week hopefully.

BayAreaZagFan
02-18-2017, 03:36 PM
It was a good win no matter how you look at it - we're spoiled this year so we expect more. They can and they will play better, and that's what should be scary to the rest of the teams out there. And I don't care what anyone says - these are young men whose bodies are built for physical exertion and can recover quickly. They'll have plenty of time to rest between the end of the conference tournament and the start of the best post-season tournament in all of sports.

MontanaCoyote
02-18-2017, 03:37 PM
No style points today but 28 & 0.
Refocus for next week hopefully.

Concerned about our guards turning the ball over against such mediocre competition. Responsible for 8 of our 13. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we can make a deep run unless our guards take care of the ball.

GrizZAG
02-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Huh, not many comments on this game. This did not look like a FF contender in any way shape or form I am sorry to say. At times I kept thinking we are falling into the old "playing to the level of our competition" syndrome. My golf game does that. It happens.

hooter73
02-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Ha! Both my boss and I come to find out fell asleep too.

Perkins is not inspiring me...

ZionZag
02-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Ha! Both my boss and I come to find out fell asleep too.

Perkins is not inspiring me...

I fell asleep also....

MickMick
02-18-2017, 09:34 PM
The mantra has been "Get better every week".

Zags11
02-18-2017, 09:36 PM
They just are better in every aspect and seemed in cruise control. I'm enjoying this season. One game at a time as in a month or so or even less, another year is done.

Zagger
02-19-2017, 02:22 AM
The mantra has been "Get better every week".
First Pacific game 81-61. This game 82-61. A definite improvement ;)

Just ribbing above. Tillie would have had fun in last night's game - maybe getting a 3rd Tiger to foul out. I actually liked this game quite a bit. I felt we got to see more of what Mathews and Collins bring to the team. There're improving IMHO and both trying out some new ways to both score and defend. I see a team working to become even more of a team as opposed to a team just trying to blow an opponent out. This team/machine is practicing and getting more versatile. I saw some very spiffy passing last night - very quick/fast ball movement and court positioning. This game is worth a 2nd or 3rd viewing. I was away from TVs for game time and only watched it once last night and intermittently too. More went on yesterday afternoon than one might notice in live viewing.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-19-2017, 04:29 AM
I'm willing to hope and able to expect big things. I can survive disappointment too. It's not life and death. It's basketball.

Above quote from RenoZag on "Zags will win it all because of character" thread is my guiding principle on this season and applies as well to last nights 28th win of the year.

Zags have not looked as impressive or played the kind of beautiful basketball we've seen earlier this season in several games now, but I'm still all in and willing to not merely hope for a great finish but even expect it of this team. My gut tells me when the lights get brighter, stakes higher and competition better in NCAA tourney, every player on this team will be more locked in and perform at their highest level. That's what I'm hoping for and expecting.

IF Zags finish strong, earn a #1 seed and take care of business vs the #16 seeded opponent in round 1, the 2nd round game vs #8/9 winner will decide everything. Zags will either finish shaking off any and all WCC calcification that has settled in and play well enough to beat a confident 8/9 seeded team (and just roll from there playing their best ball of the year) or we will learn that all the WCC wins were fools gold from a very weak conference and season will end abruptly. I believe, hope and expect Zags to prove they are indeed as good as their record suggests and take Few to the Final Four.

RenoZag
02-19-2017, 08:06 AM
AP Story on the UOP win:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400915879

bigblahla
02-19-2017, 08:12 AM
The TEAM is visually tired and we all know banged up....they get beat on every game as it's the only way to slow them down....it was a solid 30 pt win until given up by the reserves....pretty no...ugly no...solid win...YES.....you ever had a bad day at work that was as good as this game?

Just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 10:03 AM
AP Story on the UOP win:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400915879

Comments section of article

. Not a Gonazaga doubter. Maybe I'm a sample of 1, but as I've watched my Tennessee team this season -, take the best in the Pac-12 Oregon to OT, hang tough with Wisconsin, beat Kansas State and Kentucky, lose by 2 to Carolina in Chapel Hill after leading the entire game, etc., NOBODY dominated the Vols like Gonzaga. That is is an outstanding team, and I don't think any serious college basketball fan can honestly question them as a #1 seed. Just my opinion....

bballbeachbum
02-19-2017, 10:08 AM
this time of year so much turns into sizing the team up for games in March based on how the team looked against someone like Pacific today. I get the idea, since the Zags are so often already assured to dance as they are this year. Although it's not my favorite exercise here, I'd add that this team has handled this better--crushing the inferior opponent and giving them no hope-- than any Zag team I've seen before as the wins and scoring margins appear to indicate. They've not been in a perpetual peak that never dips all season, no ;) But they jump on the dips and get them redirected upwards quickly, within games, and the consistency of the defense has floated all boats at a higher efficiency across the board.
Anyway, I just don't believe in the college football metric to decide which team is more successful, based on how one or another better dominates their clearly inferior opponent.
It's just a weird reality in Zagland that comes with being an elite program from the WCC imo.
thought the team handled the loss of Tillie well so far, can't replace what he's been bringing, hope the team continues to overcome his loss until his return