PDA

View Full Version : Zags Will Win It All. Character will be the Reason.

TravelinZag
02-17-2017, 09:14 AM
GU has had great teams: some loaded with talent, some with great chemistry, many that "got" the system. Sometimes they lost in the NCAA tournament because they simply got beat by a better team. Sometimes, they beat themselves. The "best" team in the nation does not always win the tournament. The 2016-17 Zags are not the most athletic, the most loaded with NBA players, or the luckiest team. The coaching is excellent, but not above a handful of other teams.

Previous Zag squads, and we loved them, had great talent, great chemistry and great will, but fell short. The "best team" in the country does not always win the tournament.

This year's Bulldogs will win, because they add character and an undefinable trait to all of the other prerequisites. They don't fold, they recover. No team plays an entire season with consistent, start-to-finish excellence. That's why "runs" occur. The 16-17 Zags have had the same puzzling lapses that all other good teams have. Shooting cools, defense lapses, simple mistakes and missed opportunities increase, concentration and focus decline; plus illness and injury put teams in a hole during a game. In other years, we saw the helpless "deer-in-the-headlights" look that sometimes signaled the end of the Zags' season.

NOT THIS YEAR. This team has experienced those "flat periods", and has fallen or dug itself into a hole. They have never found one they didn't climb out of, and prevail. They believe in themselves, and they refuse to loose. What is this quality? Wish I knew. Determination? Focus? Unshakeable belief? Will? Heart? Mental and psychological toughness? All are probably ingredients, but only the players themselves can find the recipe, fostered by the coaches. This team has.

Arbitrary luck can play a role. However there are only two possibilities for these Zags. 1. They are the national champions. 2. They fall short in a way we've no seen before. Either way, "One Shining Moment" will ring in our heads for some time to come. We should joyfully embrace that future, and turn our enthusiasm, pride and graditude up as we near the moment.

Go Zags! The best and most complete ever. National Championship game awaits!
:allhail::allhail::allhail::allhail:

TexasZagFan
02-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Well done, TZ!

We will go as far Nigel and Shem can take us. The supporting cast is excellent, but when a play HAS to be made, i.e. a bucket HAS to be scored, it's usually Shem or Nigel doing it.

If Jordan gets his stroke back, the other 67 teams are in big trouble. Silas and JP will be fine, and J3 can be an X-factor for us. Zach will do more than enough to land on the 2017 NBA 1st round draft board (dammit).

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't things come full circle if

A. Gonzaga wins the national title after:

B. Being knocked out in second round to Wichita State and the next year
C. Wichita State going undefeated and losing in second round to Kentucky but then the next year
D. Kentucky then goes undefeated and loses in final four but then two years later

E. Gonzaga Beats both in route to a national championship and the first undefeated team since 76

TexasZagFan
02-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Wouldn't things come full circle if

A. Gonzaga wins the national title after:

B. Being knocked out in second round to Wichita State and the next year
C. Wichita State going undefeated and losing in second round to Kentucky but then the next year
D. Kentucky then goes undefeated and loses in final four but then two years later

E. Gonzaga Beats both in route to a national championship and the first undefeated team since 76

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4a/4ab17a1a8ca5414ad95e4b799261911f616aa0bbe5724bf440 5addd54c370e32.jpg

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 12:42 PM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4a/4ab17a1a8ca5414ad95e4b799261911f616aa0bbe5724bf440 5addd54c370e32.jpg

This zags team reminds me so much of the mavericks in 2011

2007 Mavericks lose to 8 seed Golden State (golden yellow)
2011 (four years later) wins NBA title after being doubted all year

2013 Gonzaga loses to 9 seed Wichita State (sunflower yellow)
2017 (four years later....) ????? After being doubted all year

zagsfanforlife
02-17-2017, 12:49 PM
I became a diehard Zags fan as a young boy in 1999 when my dad took me to the Sweet 16 as Casey Calvary tipped in the game winner vs Florida in ARIZONA. The Zags have been a wonderful common interest that has strengthened a best friendship with my Dad and I who talk Zags hoops on the daily today. 18 Years later after a young boy and his dad attended that game when very few outside of Spokane new what a "Zag" was, my dad and I have booked our travel for the Final Four in ARIZONA. It really would come full circle if the Zags won it there. I know youd have at least 2 crying men in the stadium that night.

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 12:56 PM
I became a diehard Zags fan as a young boy in 1999 when my dad took me to the Sweet 16 as Casey Calvary tipped in the game winner vs Florida in ARIZONA. The Zags have been a wonderful common interest that has strengthened a best friendship with my Dad and I who talk Zags hoops on the daily today. 18 Years later after a young boy and his dad attended that game when very few outside of Spokane new what a "Zag" was, my dad and I have booked our travel for the Final Four in ARIZONA. It really would come full circle if the Zags won it there. I know youd have at least 2 crying men in the stadium that night.

Wow. That's awesome too. I know my eyes wouldn't be dry either that's for sure

229SintoZag
02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
This thread reminds me of those great threads in 2013 when we were last a 1 seed and many here were salivating about how we were going to win it all.

I hope for a title just like anyone here, but I will not expect anything from this team in March. That's the safest way to proceed and to protect yourself from disappointment.

One game at a time.

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 03:46 PM
This thread reminds me of those great threads in 2013 when we were last a 1 seed and many here were salivating about how we were going to win it all.

I hope for a title just like anyone here, but I will not expect anything from this team in March. That's the safest way to proceed and to protect yourself from disappointment.

One game at a time.

Maybe so. But this team like 2015 is way better than the 2013 team IMO.

229SintoZag
02-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Maybe so. But this team like 2015 is way better than the 2013 team IMO.

I agree; we are deeper, more balanced, and better defensively than those teams.

There is no rational reason we should not win it all.

But if we have learned anything, it is that the NCAA tournament does not require losses to be rational to be real.

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 03:52 PM
I agree; we are deeper, more balanced, and better defensively than those teams.

There is no rational reason we should not win it all.

But if we have learned anything, it is that the NCAA tournament does not require losses to be rational to be real.

Very true.

Great point

Birddog
02-17-2017, 04:06 PM

One game at a time.

Just ask Kentucky!
Just ask Kentucky!

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Just ask Kentucky!
Just ask Kentucky!

They went to final four. . . .

Goshzagit
02-17-2017, 07:13 PM
They went to final four. . . .

An 8 man rotation is what got us here.

An 8 man rotation is what will be needed.

We need Tillie's 14 mpg in the worst way.

We will face foul trouble, fatigue, mismatches, & will be required to zone, press, M2M, transition, etc to win games in March.

Need to stay healthy, & the x-factor glue guys are everything this time of year.

A F4 birth is possible if all hands are on deck.

RenoZag
02-17-2017, 07:24 PM

I'm willing to hope and able to expect big things. I can survive disappointment too. It's not life and death. It's basketball.

kitzbuel
02-17-2017, 07:36 PM

We will face foul trouble, fatigue, mismatches, & will be required to zone, press, M2M, transition, etc to win games in March.

Need to stay healthy, & the x-factor glue guys are everything this time of year.

I hope our fate isn't riding on Tillie's hand. He might not be available.

CdAZagFan
02-17-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm willing to hope and able to expect big things. I can survive disappointment too. It's not life and death. It's basketball.

Agree, Reno... I've been holding off thinking about the amazing possibilities of A) National Championship and B) An undefeated season AND a National Championship. But as we near the end of the regular season I am finally beginning to dream big, and will take my chances and just enjoy the ride.

bartruff1
02-17-2017, 09:55 PM
I never count my chickens till they have hatched....not prudent...April is a long ways away...

MDABE80
02-17-2017, 10:17 PM
We'll go 33-0. After that tlent, ;uck and, of course the matchups. IN the E8 and FF though, it's about toughness.

Zagger
02-18-2017, 01:01 AM
I believe these Zags will do quite well in March. Having Tillie back would be nice and he didn't look all that thrilled having to sit out Thursday's game. Having Alberts back on the court will be big too. With guys missing any fouling troubles will be amplified. However, when I think of how any of these guys: Mt K, Collins, Josh, Silas, Nigel, J3, or Mathews will do in the NCAAs I just start to grin. Same goes for Few. 27-0 speaks volumes. Zag 2nd half play is amazing. Zag D is exceptional. If the team is fortunate to have everyone healthy by selection day ..... Wow!

krii
02-18-2017, 02:03 AM
I had some doubts in the summer. I thought that Przemek will not be able to play extensive minutes or that he might not get back to his old-self. In reality he realized that taking a single step in his career at this point isn't enough to prove his value, so he started to run. Literally, he is waay better than he was in 2014 and last year before the injury, in every aspect of his game. I think he could even rebound and block on a higher level IF needed. This said, I thought that the cast wouldn't be enough to compete all the way down. I doubted in Nigel's abilities to take over games, I thought that Zach and the rest of youngsters will struggle at the beginning. It turns out I was as wrong as the Flat Earth Society. Championship? Hell, why not!

By the way ... I wanted to get to the US in March for the tournament, but unfortunately I can't :-( I quit my job a couple of weeks ago and they still owe me a lot of money whilst I am still looking for something new. It sucks, because I won't be able to see Karno winning the title, bringing it back home. You know what? I believe I became a lifelong Gonzaga fan anyway. It is a school of my favourite athlete of all time (by far) John Stockton, and Przemek Karnowski - one of my favourite Polish athletes.
I might just pop in next year. That could be crazy good: defending champions, top talent in Zach and co, first-round draftee in NWG, massive combo of fun and skills in Rui and Killie. And The Legendary Polish Beard playing an important role in Spokane's history. I believe that we, Polish people, will have quite a nice time every time we'll visit this place. Sooo ... expect me there next year!

One last thought on Shem: I said it once and I'll repeat that. Przemek against better opponents and in most of the important games is SHINING like a little (bearded) star. I bet he will be as motivated as any. Nigel will orchestrate games for us but it will be Karnowski who will bring the title to the Spokane. Mark my words. Gonzaga will be the National Champion of 2017.

TravelinZag
02-18-2017, 04:13 AM
I don't count chickens, I count wins. Expect this team will get the most ever. I evaluate toughness and grit. This team has already shown the most ever.

Go Zags! NC (or damn close)!

ZagMan in Philly
02-18-2017, 05:39 AM
Well done, TZ!

We will go as far Nigel and Shem can take us. The supporting cast is excellent, but when a play HAS to be made, i.e. a bucket HAS to be scored, it's usually Shem or Nigel doing it.

If Jordan gets his stroke back, the other 67 teams are in big trouble. Silas and JP will be fine, and J3 can be an X-factor for us. Zach will do more than enough to land on the 2017 NBA 1st round draft board (dammit).

Agree with everything you say here.
Zach, please come back.

ZagMan in Philly
02-18-2017, 05:45 AM

Great story about you and your dad. I am doing the same with my two boys now, 12 and 10 years old. Great bonding material with your boys. We took them to Orlando this past Thanksgiving, and they all had a good time cheering for the Zags. Little that we know then, that the Zags are still undefeated and rank #1 right now. We are all in, and are planning a trip to San Jose for the Sweet 16, and beyond, hopefully. This is one for the Ages, and we continue to believe in our Zags.

MontanaCoyote
02-18-2017, 10:37 AM
I had some doubts in the summer. I thought that Przemek will not be able to play extensive minutes or that he might not get back to his old-self. In reality he realized that taking a single step in his career at this point isn't enough to prove his value, so he started to run. Literally, he is waay better than he was in 2014 and last year before the injury, in every aspect of his game. I think he could even rebound and block on a higher level IF needed. This said, I thought that the cast wouldn't be enough to compete all the way down. I doubted in Nigel's abilities to take over games, I thought that Zach and the rest of youngsters will struggle at the beginning. It turns out I was as wrong as the Flat Earth Society. Championship? Hell, why not!

By the way ... I wanted to get to the US in March for the tournament, but unfortunately I can't :-( I quit my job a couple of weeks ago and they still owe me a lot of money whilst I am still looking for something new. It sucks, because I won't be able to see Karno winning the title, bringing it back home. You know what? I believe I became a lifelong Gonzaga fan anyway. It is a school of my favourite athlete of all time (by far) John Stockton, and Przemek Karnowski - one of my favourite Polish athletes.
I might just pop in next year. That could be crazy good: defending champions, top talent in Zach and co, first-round draftee in NWG, massive combo of fun and skills in Rui and Killie. And The Legendary Polish Beard playing an important role in Spokane's history. I believe that we, Polish people, will have quite a nice time every time we'll visit this place. Sooo ... expect me there next year!

One last thought on Shem: I said it once and I'll repeat that. Przemek against better opponents and in most of the important games is SHINING like a little (bearded) star. I bet he will be as motivated as any. Nigel will orchestrate games for us but it will be Karnowski who will bring the title to the Spokane. Mark my words. Gonzaga will be the National Champion of 2017.

Love this post. I think we've been together on Karno for some time now.

And I love all the positive vibes on this thread, but I still can't stop worrying. At The Dance just one mistake and, even worse one bad call, and it's curtains. Man, I sure hope it doesn't come down to that for the Zag's.

Yes, we have the character in spades, but all the character in the world can't save you from things that are out of your control. Hope the Zag's can generate leads strong enough to to protect themselves when push comes to shove.

LouisianaZag
02-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Great story about you and your dad. I am doing the same with my two boys now, 12 and 10 years old. Great bonding material with your boys. We took them to Orlando this past Thanksgiving, and they all had a good time cheering for the Zags. Little that we know then, that the Zags are still undefeated and rank #1 right now. We are all in, and are planning a trip to San Jose for the Sweet 16, and beyond, hopefully. This is one for the Ages, and we continue to believe in our Zags.

I was in Orlando also and enjoyed every minute of it. I looked at the schedule after the Orlando games and thought there might be a chance but realized it would be unlikely. I was wrong but who would have thought no injury they couldn't overcome(so far) or the grit they have shown all year.

2wiceright
02-18-2017, 11:06 PM

I saw Andy Katz talking about the potential loss of Tillie (and took on the question of how long out??) and he mentioned after the Pacific game that earlier (in the day?...he didn't say) he talked to Coach Few and Few is not necessarily expecting, but rather planning if all goes as well Few is optimistically thinking that Tillie could be back on the court playing his usual minutes as early as the WCC Tourney. If true, that would be very encouraging!!!! So I assume that's as optimistic as the docs will say (my words only)!
And I would take that in a heartbeat! :adored:

montanazag88
02-19-2017, 04:12 AM
From Gary Parish....good article about the haters/doubters...the last paragraph says it all....

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/dear-haters-youre-dead-wrong-about-gonzaga-whether-you-realize-it-or-not/

Would it be right to say most "other" fans feel this way?

bartruff1
02-19-2017, 04:51 AM
" Others "?????? There are plenty of people in here that bring up the Shockers win and call Few 32.....

bigblahla
02-19-2017, 08:05 AM
This season is already HISTORIC.....nothing and no one can diminish that....I do not doubt the ability of this TEAM to maintain control over 94 feet for the majority of 40 min.....they do have the character and focus to enforce their will on the floor....they believe....and so do I...

Go!! Zags!!!

Mantua
02-19-2017, 10:13 AM
" Others "?????? There are plenty of people in here that bring up the Shockers win and call Few 32.....

Witchita State was loaded. We didn't have great depth so when Gary Bell suffered a broken foot...

Our biggest concern should be the health of our players. Since the LMU mugging our offensive sets haven't looked quite as sharp as before. I don't think the team has fully recovered from some of those falls. They need some rest and they need Tillie and Alberts fit to return to the lineup.

Zagceo
02-19-2017, 11:11 AM

More FAKE NEWS....:lmao: