PDA

View Full Version : Rest 'Em vs Pacific

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-16-2017, 10:18 PM
NWG is apparently nursing a few minor injuries (neck and ankle).

JW3 apparently is nursing a bad back.

Shem looks fine, but he's 7'1, 300 pounds. Could use a breather.

An off-day could really come in handy. And Pacific is terrible. And we're at home. And Rui, Jones, and Edwards are all better than whoever Pacific has. This seems like a no-brainer to me.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2017, 11:17 PM
I am with ya when we are up big late. But this I'm not. I think the players wanna play. I'd let them play if they want. And like most great zags I think they'd play. I wanna see them play too. I don't wanna be playing scared right now

CDC84
02-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Pacific played Gonzaga very well in Stockton. GU stunk in the 1st half.

They also played them VERY physically.

U Zig, I Zag
02-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Got to think the starters are gonna start. I can see more subs - but Alberts and Tillie out, perhaps less so than normal. Ironically, those two would probably get the most run in a game like last night and against Pac.

Zags11
02-17-2017, 06:47 AM
Who one stars these threads? I mean I don't agree but I won't one star it. Lol

TexasZagFan
02-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Wasn't me, either. Must be someone having a bad day.

bballbeachbum
02-17-2017, 07:11 AM

i don't get it either

RenoZag
02-17-2017, 07:14 AM

Tigers have some beef to contend with. Like LMU, they will use their fouls.

BayAreaZagFan
02-17-2017, 07:28 AM
I don't think it was so much Pacific playing them that well in Stockton as much as it was the Zags playing one of their worst games of the season. Pacific has a couple of players that can get hot in spurts but can't sustain it over an entire game. The Zags defense is more than enough to shut them down, especially at home.

That being said, the Tigers have played well against most of the teams in the conference and probably won't roll over in Spokane. GU has to take them seriously (which I know they will) and not rest anyone for the game. Ideally, they'll open up a big lead and we'll see the backups for most of the 2nd half.

VinnyZag
02-17-2017, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure this team is SO good that it can play walk-ons (In your scenario, Triano would be the first guard off the bench) and beat even Pacific at home.

bartruff1
02-17-2017, 07:42 AM

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-17-2017, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure this team is SO good that it can play walk-ons (In your scenario, Triano would be the first guard off the bench) and beat even Pacific at home.

I'm not saying to keep them out of the game completely...just use them very, very sparingly early on, and then if needed late in the game.

And as far as Pacific being so "physical." Isn't that more of a reason to be cautious? Tell me, exactly, what GOOD can happen with our starters playing Pacific?

willandi
02-17-2017, 08:00 AM
A few weeks ago, I think it was on ESPN, SMC was involved in a blowout and pulled the starters very early. The next game they had their worst first half of the season.

It was explained that a big part of playing the game is adhering to the established roles. The players expect a certain amount of PT and disrupting that schedule has bad results, they expect to play. I could see pulling them a little early if the game is out of reach, but you don't want the players pulled and allowed to cool down, both mentally and physically, and then be put back in. More injuries will occur that way than just playing the normal scheme.

Zags11
02-17-2017, 08:14 AM
i don't get it either

I see it on certain threads.

Zags11
02-17-2017, 08:15 AM
Wasn't me, either. Must be someone having a bad day.

To be honest I forget you can star threads. Lol! However, I don't see the point to 1 star certain threads. If classless? Agree then.

jagwalkley
02-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Amen to that.They practice just like the starters and would love to play.Never did see why a coach is willing to take a chance ,when they need the rest to get ready for the real work ahead.I bet they will be lucky to see 5-10 minutes.Interesting??

Mr Vulture
02-17-2017, 10:04 AM
They need to play this game like they play all the others which means starters play in normal rotation for at least the first 30 minutes. That's not to say that they shouldn't get a guy like Edwards some run, frankly I'm not sure why he hasn't played more in blowouts. I'd also like to see Jones and Hachimura get some more time if we are significantly ahead with 10 minutes to go or so.

Reborn
02-17-2017, 10:37 AM
I think this kind of thread appeared on this forum a few weeks ago. We all saw what Coach Few thinks about this. There is no debate or argument here. The first 7 players will play their normal minutes up to the 5 minute mark. Then we may see some changes. Injuries are part of the game, and every team has them. To try to avoid them, may in fact create them.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-17-2017, 10:41 AM
I think this kind of thread appeared on this forum a few weeks ago. We all saw what Coach Few thinks about this. There is no debate or argument here. The first 7 players will play their normal minutes up to the 5 minute mark. Then we may see some changes. Injuries are part of the game, and every team has them. To try to avoid them, may in fact create them.

You're right; there's no argument as to what WILL happen. We know how Few is.

But there's plenty of argument to be had about what SHOULD happen.

sittingon50
02-17-2017, 10:46 AM

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 10:50 AM

Theres always this talk in NFL too. To play or not play your players. Seems like every time we see them rest the players in the last two weeks of the season those teams lose their first playoff game because they are out of sync and rusty.

I'd rather go guns blazing and play how the game is supposed to be played.

LongIslandZagFan
02-17-2017, 10:53 AM
I don't see a need to change what is being done. Tille injury just solidifies the point that practice is just as dangerous if not more than a game. You wouldn't ask them to not practice. Play them... if score is a blow-out... bring bench in, perhaps earlier than the 35 minute mark.

Reborn
02-17-2017, 11:04 AM

I think if someone was willing to do the research you'd discover that most coaches do the same thing as FEW. On the other hand, if a player IS injured they won't play him, as we saw when NWG was injured and was held out for a whole game. And as Alberts is being held out right now. I assume he'll be back playing when he's released to play. As far as Killian Tillie goes, we don't know how long he'll be out, imo. I have not heard from the staff that he's out for the rest of the season.

maynard g krebs
02-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Tille injury just solidifies the point that practice is just as dangerous if not more than a game. You wouldn't ask them to not practice.

Beat me to it. Most injuries happen in practice. "Caution" imo = being scared. Be scared, you play scared and lose.

Of course, if a guy is injured and playing will exacerbate/prolong the injury and keep him at half strength for more impt. games later, it makes sense to sit him. But that's what trainers and medical personnel are there to decide.

23dpg
02-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Play em! IMO, it's the only way to keep players game sharp. Plus, there's about a ten day gap between the end of the WCC tourney and the NCAA tourney. Add in that injuries happen anywhere and it's an easy call, again IMO.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/tagblog/twocents.jpg

billyberu
02-17-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty dinged up too, but I still lace up my boots every day. Let 'em play.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dhozagfan08
02-17-2017, 11:22 AM
I'm not saying to keep them out of the game completely...just use them very, very sparingly early on, and then if needed late in the game.

And as far as Pacific being so "physical." Isn't that more of a reason to be cautious? Tell me, exactly, what GOOD can happen with our starters playing Pacific?
+1

Hoopaholic
02-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Play em! IMO, it's the only way to keep players game sharp. Plus, there's about a ten day gap between the end of the WCC tourney and the NCAA tourney. Add in that injuries happen anywhere and it's an easy call, again IMO.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/tagblog/twocents.jpg

Agree. Extra time
Management is ok late in game but still need run time still need game set experience in in game adjustments

Hoopaholic
02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
If those who are calling for reduced playing time due to fear of injury. This week is an example of it can happen anywhere anytime. Including practice times 2 this week

dhozagfan08
02-17-2017, 11:31 AM
I don't want to see starters sit, but I would love to see Few get the next guys up a little more playing time in real game situations. Few has always seemed to play with fire on this, and it has hurt us in past. Like many others, I don't get why Edwards has never been given a shot. I always go back to the Hawaii tournament(I think it was Hawaii) and we had foul/injury trouble, and Edwards filled in nicely. Yet Few still wouldn't give him real minutes.

TexasZagFan
02-17-2017, 11:36 AM
I don't want to see starters sit, but I would love to see Few get the next guys up a little more playing time in real game situations. Few has always seemed to play with fire on this, and it has hurt us in past. Like many others, I don't get why Edwards has never been given a shot. I always go back to the Hawaii tournament(I think it was Hawaii) and we had foul/injury trouble, and Edwards filled in nicely. Yet Few still wouldn't give him real minutes.

That ship has sailed. Minutes that may have gone to Edwards earlier in the year were used by Zach. As a freshman, he needed every minute he could get, playing behind Karno.

Ryan's kept a great attitude, and he may be needed during the Dance. He's got enough experience, so I don't think he'd succumb to the pressure of the moment.

Markburn1
02-17-2017, 11:39 AM
The premise to this thread is nonsensical. Top tier sports teams develop a rhythm throughout the season.

Thursday-Saturday. Thursday-Saturday. Thursday-Saturday.

Starters first five then start rotations. Players used to playing with same lineup every night. Used to playing nearly same minutes every night.

Coaches putting in game plans same day, same time, same Bat Channel.

If players need rest to heal it usually happens on practice days. If they are healthy to play, they usually play the same minutes unless they have been out long enough to be out of game shape.

If anything, rotations at this time of year shrink, i.e. starters and main reserves get MORE minutes.

Chemistry is a real thing. Upsetting any one element risks bringing the entire experiment down.

zagbeliever
02-17-2017, 11:51 AM
I remember Pacific as being thugs. I hope we thump them soundly. Play has gotten beyond physical to brutal with some players.

Goshzagit
02-17-2017, 11:54 AM
The premise to this thread is nonsensical. Top tier sports teams develop a rhythm throughout the season.

Thursday-Saturday. Thursday-Saturday. Thursday-Saturday.

Starters first five then start rotations. Players used to playing with same lineup every night. Used to playing nearly same minutes every night.

Coaches putting in game plans same day, same time, same Bat Channel.

If players need rest to heal it usually happens on practice days. If they are healthy to play, they usually play the same minutes unless they have been out long enough to be out of game shape.

If anything, rotations at this time of year shrink, i.e. starters and main reserves get MORE minutes.

Chemistry is a real thing. Upsetting any one element risks bringing the entire experiment down.

Nice post.

Agree completely.

I also feel we could be more prudent at the end of game when up by 25+.

Expecially when guys are tired or opponent is frustrated or even playing their deep bench guys (who can be reckless).

Also, more time for our bench guys in case they're needed come tourney time as well.

Waiting to the 1:50 mark up by 35, & just beginning to play the bench is disconcerting this time of year.

I watched Huggy Bear put in his entire bench with 6 mins to go last wk...

Keep the same routine, expected mins, same players, & pull the guys a lil sooner with a 30 pt lead.

But that's my preference, not necessarily the coaches or the players, so doesnt really matter...

But i get nervous when the other team begins fouling just to foul or their bench guys are in b4 ours.

Knowing Few'a integrity, maybe views it as a sign of disrespect to our opponent to clear bench before 5 mins or so

TexasZagFan
02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Nice post.

Agree completely.

Expecially when guys are tired or opponent is frustrated or even playing their deep bench guys (who can be reckless).

Also, more time for our bench guys in case they're needed come tourney time as well.

Waiting to the 1:50 mark up by 35, & just beginning to play the bench is disconcerting this time of year.

Keep the same routine, expected mins, same players, & pull the guys a lil sooner with a 30 pt lead.

But that's my preference, not necessarily the coaches or the players, so doesnt really matter...

But i get nervous when the other team begins fouling just to foul or their bench guys are in b4 ours.

Knowing Few'a integrity, maybe views it as a sign of disrespect to our opponent to clear bench before 5 mins or so

IMO, I think Few's done about the best he can. With the exception of NWG, the starters are all averaging 30 mpg or less. Shem's 6th on the team in mpg, at 22 mpg. Zach and Killian as freshman need as many minutes as they can get.

O/T - Karno now has the same FG & FT% - 61.6%.

cggonzaga
02-17-2017, 01:51 PM
You can't play scared or worry about injury. That's usually when injuries occur. I also agree however in 30pt blowouts that the subs should be in by the 5 minute mark. I'd prefer right after the under 8 min timeout. Especially with Pacific and SD where we can get some guys a little extra rest. There will most likely be very little rest for the starters to be had for the remainder of the season starting next Saturday.

kitzbuel
02-17-2017, 07:45 PM
I don't see a need to change what is being done. Tille injury just solidifies the point that practice is just as dangerous if not more than a game. You wouldn't ask them to not practice. Play them... if score is a blow-out... bring bench in, perhaps earlier than the 35 minute mark.
I bet game are less demanding physically than practices. 15 to 25 minutes of exertion during a game versus 60, 90, 120 minutes of exertion during practices.

kitzbuel
02-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Nice post.

Agree completely.

I don't know if I would use WVU as an example for benefits of letting up at the end of a game.

Goshzagit
02-17-2017, 08:59 PM
I don't know if I would use WVU as an example for benefits of letting up at the end of a game.

Lol, good point kitz.

Too funny...

ProVeeZag
02-17-2017, 10:10 PM

Bingo, my thoughts also. Don't mess with what has been working; obviously if 30 pt lead with 8 minutes left, maybe you work in the bench guys a few minutes earlier than normal. Players gotta play!

jpn17
02-18-2017, 12:12 AM

Yeah that game was still close until about 10 minutes left or so. That was the game that lit a fire under JWIII and really got him going.