PDA

View Full Version : Tillie and Alberts Injury Thread

Rangerzag
02-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Tillie and Alberts out tonight.

Per Meehan tweet: "Tillie (hand) and Alberts (ankle) out for tonight's game vs. USF"

https://twitter.com/SRJimm

Rangerzag
02-16-2017, 04:13 PM
Per Hudson Alberts has an ankle sprain.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Tillie? Hand? I wonder what the extent is? Ugh!

tampanjzag
02-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Tillie Broke His Hand. Out Indefinitely.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Wow. Unbelievable.

whatazag
02-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Do we know whether shooting or non-shooting hand for Tillie? Obviously neither is good, but I wonder if he could play in the NCAAs if its his off-hand.

tampanjzag
02-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Gonzaga freshman forward Killian Tillie is out indefinitely with a broken bone in his shooting hand, team sources confirm to SWX.

CarolinaZagFan
02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Dang that sucks. Here's to a speedy recovery!

RenoZag
02-16-2017, 04:37 PM
4- 6 weeks for broken bones to mend ??

tampanjzag
02-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Thinking that also. Hopefully optimistic he can be back for the Tourney.

Once and Future Zag
02-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Here's a chance for Jeremy Jones to get some 1st team reps...

Vanzagger
02-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Rui....Welcome to the rotation. It looked like Few was grooming him to be a 4 anyway.

gonzagafan62
02-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Do we know whether shooting or non-shooting hand for Tillie? Obviously neither is good, but I wonder if he could play in the NCAAs if its his off-hand.

Shooting hand

gonzagafan62
02-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Rui....Welcome to the rotation. It looked like Few was grooming him to be a 4 anyway.

That's scary. Was looking forward to him next year but not this one lol

EDIT/. No knock on Rui, just wanted another year of English and working into system. He's going to be a star

ZagOD7540
02-16-2017, 04:48 PM

Not ready-clueless offensively and defensively. High light reel dunks but nothing else

seacatfan
02-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Tough luck. Next man up. Or as we saw previously the rotation of bigs might basically shrink from 4 to 3.

23dpg
02-16-2017, 04:56 PM
The rotation will shrink to 7 main guys but I do expect Jones to get the first minutes before Rui.
Tough luck for both of our guys.

ZagMan in Philly
02-16-2017, 05:05 PM

How? And when did he break his hand? Here hope for a quick and successful recovery.

tinfoilzag
02-16-2017, 05:07 PM
How? And when did he break his hand? Here hope for a quick and successful recovery.

He broke it Tues in Practice. 6 weeks from Tuesday would be March 28th.

ZagMan in Philly
02-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Thanks.
He will be ready for the Final4 then..maybe sooner.

raise the zag
02-16-2017, 05:17 PM
How is this news not on ESPN by now?

Pretty significant injury and news for #1 team.

Really hurts our depth, and our regular rotation…Tillie carried us vs LMU.

Such an energy guy, defends 3 positions, the rim, and rebounder, etc.

strikenowhere
02-16-2017, 05:22 PM

4 weeks would be March 14! Got to be optimistic :/

gonzagafan62
02-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Gary Bell broke his hand in 2014 right? How long was he actually out? I know all cases are different but our doctors seem to have a knack for returning players sooner than expected

raise the zag
02-16-2017, 05:38 PM
This hurts Karno as well as rotation.

Shem at his best with rest.

Less rest with Tillie gone.

Goshzagit
02-16-2017, 06:02 PM
depends on the fracture and which bone. 27 bones in the hand.

if not displaced, and if distal/intermediate phalanges and not metacarpals, could be only a week or two.

Otherwise, we won't see him til mid-March at earliest.

Really terrible news. Tillie is the X-factor player that is the difference b/w a win and loss in NCAA Tourney.

Makes us so much deeper and more versatile with him. Not JUST offensive or defensive production, but helps the rotation and coaching options too.

Allows Karno to get a breather throughout, and is a new look with him in the game. A mis-match of sorts.

He can do it all.

Zagceo
02-16-2017, 06:18 PM
I could be wrong .......but what I recall Few saying to Huddy on pre game.....didn't sound serious....i.e. Long term....to me

tempe85
02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Everyone needs to cool their jets. Some of you were claiming he'd STILL be out with the ankle injury. Wait until the team makes any announcements or statements.

Also just as a note, Bell missed about a month when he broke his hand in 2013. If Tillie missed the same amount of time he'd be back for the first round of the tournament. Could be a blessing in disguise if he was still having ankle issues.

Goshzagit
02-16-2017, 06:44 PM
didn't really notice Tillie had 11 pts in 16 mins vs LMU, then had 10 pts in 13 mins vs SCU in the past week.

such a "glue" guy for this team.

really really need him to advance far imho.

Just too versatile, and helps our rotations. Keep teams off balance and on their heels.

MickMick
02-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Tape it up and send him out there.

basketballzag
02-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Tape it up and send him out there.

Didn't look to bad. Only two strands of tape wrapping his fingers.

Plainsman
02-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Pretty obvious that it is going to be a 7 man rotation until injuries heal. Up by a healthy margin for plenty of the second half and no subs with a view to working into the rotation.

VinnyZag
02-16-2017, 07:33 PM
From Meehan:

Tillie has a broken bone in his hand. Apparently doesn't need surgery, not sure of timeline for return. Won't play Saturday for sure.

Goshzagit
02-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Should add J3 to the list.

Was holding his back post game.

Also noted he has an ailing back issue & in pain last 2 games.

Played through it tonight, yet was grimacing after his last shot of the game.

Not to mention heard NWG's ankle is hurting him. Obviously not effecting his shooting touch, but easy to see his cuts are slower. Also, was slow to get back to bench after landing a bit awkwardly on his final drive.

That said, played a helluva game at 75% health.

strikenowhere
02-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Couldn't NWG & JW3 take a breather for the next game, do pre-game warmups, but only come in if absolutely necessary?

Mantua
02-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Everyone needs to cool their jets. Some of you were claiming he'd STILL be out with the ankle injury. Wait until the team makes any announcements or statements.

Also just as a note, Bell missed about a month when he broke his hand in 2013. If Tillie missed the same amount of time he'd be back for the first round of the tournament. Could be a blessing in disguise if he was still having ankle issues.

That a great point abiut letting his ankle rest. It takes some of the sting out this horrible news.

Goshzagit
02-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Feels like we're literally limping into post season play...

The list of injuries is getting ridiculous.

Really need a reasonably healthy squad to make a run.

ZagaZags
02-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Didn't look to bad. Only two strands of tape wrapping his fingers.

I only had a quick glimpse, but it looked like a splint to me.

CdAZagFan
02-16-2017, 08:45 PM
I only had a quick glimpse, but it looked like a splint to me.

I thought I saw the same thing tonight... Whatever it was looked pretty rigid.

Zagceo
02-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Sure hope not

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/34526923/gonzagas-tillie-out-indefinitely-with-broken-bone-in-hand (http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/34526923/gonzagas-tillie-out-indefinitely-with-broken-bone-in-hand)

Gonzaga's Tillie out indefinitely with broken bone in hand

Gonzaga freshman forward Killian Tillie will miss the remainder of the season with a broken bone in his hand, team sources confirm to SWX. Tillie has played in 24 games for the Bulldogs this season, averaging 4.9 points and 3.4 rebounds in 13 minutes per game. Tillie is also third on the team in steals with 0.9 per game. The 6-10, 200-lb. native of Cagnes-sur-Mer, France had a career high 12 points to go along with 8 rebounds in Gonzaga's last matchup with San Francisco on Jan. 5. H...

Zagceo
02-16-2017, 09:28 PM
http://www.khq.com/story/34526923/gonzagas-tillie-out-for-season-with-broken-bone-in-hand

U Zig, I Zag
02-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Well... that stinks.

JPtheBeasta
02-16-2017, 09:43 PM
It would be nice to know which bone he broke. I went back and looked at the splint: it appears that it doesn't make all the way past the MCP joint (the knuckle where the fingers join the hand). A fracture of the metatarsal would be typically splinted past that, as you want to immobilize the joint above and the joint below the fracture, so I think he probably broke a carpal bone close to the wrist. This could be injured by falling on an outstretched hand. I'm not an ortho guy, but I looked into the triquetrum as an example and 3-6 weeks is the timeframe for healing of avulsion fractures and 4-6 weeks for fractures of the body of the bone. Delayed healing is considered to be tenderness after 6 weeks. We might see him in an actual short arm cast the next time we see him (after the swelling goes down).

Zagceo
02-16-2017, 09:46 PM
He had the ball in practice and had his hand slapped.

JPtheBeasta
02-16-2017, 09:50 PM
It would be nice to know which bone he broke. I went back and looked at the splint: it appears that it doesn't make all the way past the MCP joint (the knuckle where the fingers join the hand). A fracture of the metatarsal would be typically splinted past that, as you want to immobilize the joint above and the joint below the fracture, so I think he probably broke a carpal bone close to the wrist. This could be injured by falling on an outstretched hand. I'm not an ortho guy, but I looked into the triquetrum as an example and 3-6 weeks is the timeframe for healing of avulsion fractures and 4-6 weeks for fractures of the body of the bone. Delayed healing is considered to be tenderness after 6 weeks. We might see him in an actual short arm cast the next time we see him (after the swelling goes down).

ETA: I see now from the above linked article that someone slapped his hand. That's a bit of a fluky injury, to me, but it's in the literature, and suggestive of a bone body fracture (see above) I guessed long on the recovery of his ankle and was quite wrong, so I'm going to guess long again and hope he proves me wrong again :)

JPtheBeasta
02-16-2017, 09:50 PM
He had the ball in practice and had his hand slapped.

Thanks. Beat me too it.

Zagceo
02-16-2017, 09:58 PM
if they know it's a fracture ..I'm confused

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-16-2017, 10:07 PM
We probably don't need Tillie to beat any of the teams we'll be playing in the near future.

If he can be good to go exactly 5 weeks from today, which would be Thursday the 23rd of March, that would be cool. SAP Center in San Jose hosts Sweet 16 games that day.

DukeSilver
02-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Feels like this could be one year where we're happy to have an extra week between the end of our conference tourney and the beginning of the NCAA tourney ...

ZagsGoZags
02-16-2017, 10:12 PM
I would think this means Collins PT will soar

MDABE80
02-16-2017, 10:21 PM
3 bigs for a bit and 4 guards. With the last 3 games being pretty easy, I do not disagree with healing the guys up before the last stretch. Core guys are still there. 10 days till the WCC tournament. Let the Rui's , Jones, etc get some playing time. We'll still win by a wide margin. Tillie's a good player but not so much with a fracture. It's might be concussive and there is no displacement which makes things simpler. As I 've watched Jones, he looks like he could be a very very good player that could use some development.
Few knows best but as things are presently described, this doesn't sound as terrible as it might be.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-16-2017, 10:25 PM
In Few's postgame audio (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/16/instant-replay-nigel-williams-goss-torches-san-fra/), he says Tillie broke his 4th finger.

Is that good news or bad news?

gonzagafan62
02-16-2017, 10:42 PM
In Few's postgame audio (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/16/instant-replay-nigel-williams-goss-torches-san-fra/), he says Tillie broke his 4th finger.

Is that good news or bad news?

I feel SWX jumped the gun here. If Meehan is reporting that Tillie is only out for pacific game for sure I'm trusting that before anything else.

scrooner
02-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Gonzaga freshman forward Killian Tillie will miss the remainder of the season with a broken bone in his hand

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/34526923/gonzagas-tillie-out-indefinitely-with-broken-bone-in-hand

That story you linked doesn't say "the remainder of the season" anymore. Is it possible to edit your post?

ZagaZags
02-16-2017, 10:59 PM
28-29 more days until the first March Madness game for GU.

Zagceo
02-16-2017, 11:35 PM
http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/34526923/gonzagas-tillie-out-indefinitely-with-broken-bone-in-hand

That story you linked doesn't say "the remainder of the season" anymore. Is it possible to edit your post?

go to site.....scroll down to college ......3rd story is Tillie and still says out for remainder of the season.

CDC84
02-17-2017, 12:01 AM
Meehan said he had a cast on his finger.

This is a bigger injury that some people think, and I feel that it definitely effected GU in the 1st half. The guys were playing as if an organ had been taken out of their collective body. With Karno and especially Collins' tendency to get into serious foul trouble, GU needs Tillie. He also has his own special role on the team. He forces everyone to play hard because if they don't, Tillie will ALWAYS play hard. Let's hope it's a quick healing injury. At least it won't effect his conditioning....to an extent.

tyra
02-17-2017, 03:16 AM
"At least it won't effect (sic) his conditioning" -- Is this totally true? Can he run at full speed and do all the things he needs to do to keep his legs in top shape? Is there a doctor in the house?

Zagger
02-17-2017, 03:46 AM
May both Alberts & Tillie heal up well and speedily! It was a bummer seeing them sitting on the bench in long pants and long sleeves. Both players could have seen a bit of time in last night's game. I'm betting we'll see both in Zag games yet this season - maybe not until the NCAAs though. Pretty sweet that GU is bound for the NCAAs again and these two could have a very good chance of playing with their pals again.
This has got me thinking about Edwards .... will he see more time in order to help out spelling Mt K, Collins and J3? J3 was looking sore last night (back). We could see more of Jones, Edwards and Rui on Saturday.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2017, 04:38 AM
Meehan said he had a cast on his finger.

This is a bigger injury that some people think, and I feel that it definitely effected GU in the 1st half. The guys were playing as if an organ had been taken out of their collective body. With Karno and especially Collins' tendency to get into serious foul trouble, GU needs Tillie. He also has his own special role on the team. He forces everyone to play hard because if they don't, Tillie will ALWAYS play hard. Let's hope it's a quick healing injury. At least it won't effect his conditioning....to an extent.

I hope it's just his finger. I though I saw a red ulnar gutter splint on his hand.

jazzdelmar
02-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Bad bad news, no way to sugarcoat it. Tillie is a "starter" and a key in certain game situations......

Zagsker
02-17-2017, 06:10 AM
The list of injuries is getting ridiculous.

Really need a reasonably healthy squad to make a run.

Is it?

Feel like injuries this year have been normal compared to any other year or any other team in the country

Zagsker
02-17-2017, 06:13 AM
Above all else...overreact and make assumptions, it's what we are paid to do

SWZag
02-17-2017, 06:22 AM
I hope Tillie gets healed quickly and isn't pressured to do more than he should before that time.

What I do feel bad for Tillie for is it sounds like his mom arrived from France just prior to him breaking his hand. She was coming to watch the final four league games, per the broadcast last night. That's a bummer for him.

TexasZagFan
02-17-2017, 06:23 AM
I hope Tillie gets healed quickly and isn't pressured to do more than he should before that time.

What I do feel bad for Tillie for is it sounds like his mom arrived from France just prior to him breaking his hand. She was coming to watch the final four league games, per the broadcast last night. That's a bummer for him.

I'm sure she's just happy to see her son again after being separated this year.

Goshzagit
02-17-2017, 07:05 AM
28-29 more days until the first March Madness game for GU.

Great point.

While most fx's take 4-8 wks to heal for most, heard they want Tillie to wear splint for 3 wks, then technically up to him to risk it from there on outů

Considering its march madness with an entire off-season afterward, he may give it a go the moment the splint is removed.

He won't be fully "healed", but could technically play with a broken finger.

I would GUESS he's out until WCC Tourney play, maybe longer.

RenoZag
02-17-2017, 07:06 AM
Meehan's article on Alberts and Tillie: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/16/gonzaga-plays-short-handed-in-win-over-san-francis/

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/02/16/SRX_GU_VS_SAN_FRAN_19.JPG.jpg

zaguarxj
02-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Agreed. GU sans Tillie is not as good a team as GU with Tillie. Fortunately, they're still pretty darn good. Plus, more minutes for Collins could be interesting if he can learn to stay out of foul trouble. It's probably no coincidence that he only had 2 fouls last night. He got a pretty good talking-to after his 1st foul (a dumb reach-in IIRC).

edit: oops - this was supposed to quote Jazz's post.

strikenowhere
02-17-2017, 07:23 AM
As long as Collins can avoid stupid fouls, the Zags should be fine until Tillie returns.

As for the article, three weeks to wear the cast doesn't sound too bad; he could take it off after the 8th of March, with another week of healing come tourney time on the 16th/17th. I think the team will be ok, especially if they can just get some spot minutes from Jones/Hachimura to provide a warm body.

mtzaga
02-17-2017, 07:28 AM
Call the Detroit Lions and ask where one can buy the Matthew Stafford one-finger glove.

gobroncsgozags
02-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Great point.

While most fx's take 4-8 wks to heal for most, heard they want Tillie to wear splint for 3 wks, then technically up to him to risk it from there on outů

Considering its march madness with an entire off-season afterward, he may give it a go the moment the splint is removed.

He won't be fully "healed", but could technically play with a broken finger.

I would GUESS he's out until WCC Tourney play, maybe longer.

What is the risk of him playing and injuring it more? Worse break? Long term damage? Just break it again and go back to square one?

VinnyZag
02-17-2017, 07:43 AM
It seems like this really becomes an issue if someone gets in foul trouble. That's something that could definitely happen against better teams in the tournament.

bartruff1
02-17-2017, 07:45 AM
The Montana Mountain has been showing some skill......

Goshzagit
02-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Looks like completely different player last couple wks.

His on court hustle has been night & day different.

Hope it can continue.

Have always thought Jones has looked pretty smooth & decently skilled in his mins. Is in the wrong spot many times but his athleticism & nose for the ball is apparent. His lateral quickness is unreal. He'd give Silas a run for his money in that department.

Very natural athleticism.

I feel he's our best bet to develop until Tillie returns...or hopefully returns.

Mantua
02-17-2017, 08:16 AM
Ah! C'est dommage.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Boy, if only he'd gotten enough playing time in some of our 30-point wins to have earned Few's trust...

Mr Vulture
02-17-2017, 09:18 AM
I would imagine both guys will be available by the NCAA tournament or by the 2nd weekend of the tournament anyway. Since he doesn't require surgery, I'd imagine it may not be a significant break, which could mean 4 weeks before it is healed enough for game action. They can add some protection around it at that point but there will be the risk of re-injury the rest of the season.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Meehan's article on Alberts and Tillie: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/16/gonzaga-plays-short-handed-in-win-over-san-francis/

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/02/16/SRX_GU_VS_SAN_FRAN_19.JPG.jpg

Wrist splint and fingers are "buddy-taped." I have no idea at this point and will quit guessing.

SWZag
02-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Boy, if only he'd gotten enough playing time in some of our 30-point wins to have earned Few's trust...

Yes, that would be nice, but there are far more times to gain Few's trust than just in games. Practice is the biggest forum for that.

maynard g krebs
02-17-2017, 10:57 AM

For whatever reason, Edwards isn't in good enough shape to keep up with top level centers and pf's. V the bottom end of the WCC he looks ok. Three for 2 spots for now unless the dam breaks.

Zagceo
02-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Ring finger

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/2/17/14646932/tillie-injury-broken-4th-finger-on-his-shooting-hand

ProVeeZag
02-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Ah! C'est dommage.

Si, si!

TexasZagFan
02-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Si, si!

Ach du Lieber!

gmo
02-18-2017, 06:55 PM
BYU-St. Mary's halftime Andy Katz just said the hope is Tillie comes back for WCC tournament.

CDC84
02-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Katz also mentioned what I hoped he would mention to a national TV audience. That despite only playing 4 minutes at SMC, Tillie is a very important guy to Gonzaga and their rotation and their ability to make a deep run in March. The post depth that GU has is a major weapon when it comes to the NCAA tourney. It allows them to withstand foul trouble. It keeps guys fresh.

Goshzagit
02-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Katz also mentioned what I hoped he would mention to a national TV audience. That despite only playing 4 minutes at SMC, Tillie is a very important guy to Gonzaga and their rotation and their ability to make a deep run in March. The post depth that GU has is a major weapon when it comes to the NCAA tourney. It allows them to withstand foul trouble. It keeps guys fresh.

Finally a Tillie mention!

Heck, if a Duke walk-on has a hang nail its frontpage news on ESPN.

Kill is a significant rotation player on the #1 team. A 6'10", athletic, glue guy, x-factor, versatile, and gives our bigs a blow....not to mention been scoring a ton of pts lately.

Mantua
02-19-2017, 06:33 PM
On the Mark Few Show, Mark Few said we'll know more next week about Tillie's fractured fourth metacarpal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_metacarpal_bone#/media/File%3AFourth_metacarpal_bone_(left_hand)_01_palma r_view.png

Outraged
02-19-2017, 09:45 PM
Tillie is like a taller Hart. Somewhat of a disrupter that can change things up.

ProVeeZag
02-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Above all else...overreact and make assumptions, it's what we are paid to do

We're getting paid? And I thought it was all for "the fun".

Who do I contact to sign up for direct deposit?

tinfoilzag
02-20-2017, 12:55 AM
On the Mark Few Show, Mark Few said we'll know more next week about Tillie's fractured fourth metacarpal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_metacarpal_bone#/media/File%3AFourth_metacarpal_bone_(left_hand)_01_palma r_view.png

The WCC tourney seems really early for him to begin playing. It seems the sweet 16 would be a more realistic goal for having him back (March 23-24). I know that is a good size IF to make it that far without him but re-injuring it by rushing back means no availability for the rest of the season.

Mantua
02-20-2017, 06:49 AM
The WCC tourney seems really early for him to begin playing. It seems the sweet 16 would be a more realistic goal for having him back (March 23-24). I know that is a good size IF to make it that far without him but re-injuring it by rushing back means no availability for the rest of the season.

It sure looks like that's the timeline.
As soon as I heard Few's statement I was counting weeks on my calendar too.

LongIslandZagFan
02-20-2017, 07:02 AM
We're getting paid? And I thought it was all for "the fun".

Who do I contact to sign up for direct deposit?

Wait, you haven't been getting your $0 checks deposited into your account? Contact HR in the Foo... they'll get that fixed for ya'