PDA

View Full Version : The Ringer: The Major Mid-Major

TheZagPhish
02-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Mostly a rehash, but some good points and funny quotes.
___

Roger Sherman

The Major Mid-Major (https://theringer.com/gonzaga-west-coast-conference-ncaa-tournament-121b09486e29#.7cm0avfea)

There’s a reason Gonzaga plays like a major conference team: It practically is one. True, its most distinctive player, Przemek Karnowski, is Peak Gonzaga: A 7-foot-1, 300-pound, heavily bearded Polish passer. But the team’s best player, point guard Nigel Williams-Goss, is a former five-star recruit who transferred from Washington. Power forward Johnathan Williams is a former four-star recruit who transferred from Mizzou. The team’s best shooter, Jordan Mathews, is a transfer from Cal. And he isn’t shooting as well as he did at Cal, so there’s even some room for improvement.

Goshzagit
02-16-2017, 11:09 AM
The Ringer prints some saavy writing & interesting articles.

Impressed with them as an online pub.

Another good one, thanks for the share.

sittingon50
02-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Thanks Phish.

Lewey
02-16-2017, 11:47 AM
The NCAA goes one better: "Blue Blood". Talking about teams that are dominating their conferences. Interestingly bringing up Akron whose had 21 wins the past 12 seasons.

Next one: After Duke won at Virginia on Wednesday, there are only four schools in the country that can say they’ve had at least 21 victories in 12 consecutive seasons. Bluebloods Kansas, Gonzaga, Duke and...?

Akron, of course. At 22-4 overall and 12-1 in the league, the Zips are so far ahead of the rest of the Mid-American Conference at the moment, they’re a dust cloud. Four — count ‘em — four games better than anyone else.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-02-15/college-basketball-look-teams-dominating-their-conferences

seacatfan
02-16-2017, 12:41 PM
That's nice consistency for Akron, but it has only resulted in 3 Tourney appearances--'09, '11 and '13. They might have a resume to get an at-large bid this year but might very well have to win their conference tourney this year to get their first bid in 4 years.

Mr Vulture
02-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Akron is 35 in the RPI but 99 in the KenPom rankings. On the plus side they haven't had a bad loss since November although they lost one on the road to Ohio in league that is rated around 105 in RPI. I think they can get in with winning their conference regular season or conference tournament. I don't see the P5 conferences getting 7+ bids this year over some of these mid major teams like Akron, Wichita State, etc

Markburn1
02-16-2017, 01:51 PM
That's nice consistency for Akron, but it has only resulted in 3 Tourney appearances--'09, '11 and '13. They might have a resume to get an at-large bid this year but might very well have to win their conference tourney this year to get their first bid in 4 years.

Which sucks big time. These small conference teams that prove they are the best in their league throughout the course of the season and have a hiccup in their tourney should get a bid over some Power Five team that hovers around the .500 mark. That Power Five team isn't going to win the tournament, just as Akron isn't going to. Why not give an Akron a chance to experience a bigger stage? I feel like they earned it more than the team that has already proven they can't win against the better teams in their conference.

seacatfan
02-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Which sucks big time. These small conference teams that prove they are the best in their league throughout the course of the season and have a hiccup in their tourney should get a bid over some Power Five team that hovers around the .500 mark. That Power Five team isn't going to win the tournament, just as Akron isn't going to. Why not give an Akron a chance to experience a bigger stage? I feel like they earned it more than the team that has already proven they can't win against the better teams in their conference.

I haven't followed Akron that closely, but I know Valpo has had some really good teams that fell short in their conference tourney and had to settle for the NIT. Last year in fact I think they smacked SMC in the NIT.