• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravelinZag
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2012

Remaining Games Vital -- to Selection Committee

Many on this board were disappointed when the committee awarded the undefeated, #1 ranked Zags only an overall seed of four, on the number one line. Yet, even in this much-maligned conference, the Zags can boost their perceived strength. Tonight's game against USF, and BYU's visit provide two more opportunities for wins against to 100 RPI teams. The WCC tournament could add 2-3 more. Plus, other 1-4 seeds will suffer defeats before the dance.

Always have applauded Coach Few's reluctance to run up the score. Good sportsmanship for sure. However, looking down the road to an unconvinced selection committee, now may be a time to add fuel to the team's fire. Any thing that helps.

Your thoughts?
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The coach has said continually that improving each and every week was the teams goal at the start of the season. That strategy has been working. That, and only focusing on the next game (it's not our job, it's their job). If the team keeps improving each week, I see no reason why it won't show in the game results.

Other teams throughout the country are going to keep losing. My only fear is that I think (and many analysts think) that Villanova is going to win out. They already were the best team by a good margin in the Big East, but teams from Creighton to Xavier having been coming down with bad injuries which have really hurt the league and have made it less competitive for the Wildcats.

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

ESPN's Nitty Gritty report has GU as the 3rd # 1 seed, behind Villanova and Baylor. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/nitty The linked report shows Baylor @ 21 - 4 instead of 22 -4, so it may be last week's edition.

Lunardi did a new bracketology this morning (about 3 hours ago ): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Goshzagit
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2007

Lunardi did a new bracketology this morning (about 3 hours ago ): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology
        Want no part of USC as an 8 seed in the 2nd Rd...or Wichita St for that matter (yesterday's projected 8 seed).

Every game I've watched the Trojans plays this season, i've come away impressed...even in their losses.

Comment

• amaronizag
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Jul 2013

Few is unlikely to run up any scores this late in the season. That always happens in the first part of the season and this year was no different. For the first 12 games GU averaged 62.8 shots per game. In the last 12 games GU averaged 57 shots per game. Once we finish the early season cupcake games (that doesn't include tournament games) and move into conference play, the pace slows down and the rotation tightens up.

As for a 1 seed, I think we're a lock, even if we lose a game.

Comment

• Goshzagit
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

I posted in November the two best unranked teams I watched were Florida St & USC.

Nailed the FSU prognostication, and still feel USC is an underrated squad.

Comment

• SWZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

To me the #4 1-seed or the top 1-seed makes zero difference. If it's to put a feather in our bonnet for bragging rights, I can understand the worry. But when tourney-time really comes, just like they are guessing the best teams, they are also guessing the worst teams. Who's to say the #1 overall seed is really playing the overall worst 16-seed. It's all guesswork and each game has the same outcome, one team goes home.

If we're worried about bragging rights, please carry on.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Reborn
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

I'm not one who blames the Committee for our losses in March Madness over the years. The Zag teams were responsible for those losses. I'm not a paranoid person who feels that "THE Committee" is out "to get" our team. They have a very tough job, and I believe they do there best to be fair. March Madness may be the most popular sporting event in our country, and the madness goes on for 3 weeks. I think we should give the Committee some credit for that. The Committee does not control who wins and who loses the games.

When the Committee came out with their mini bracket of 16 teams last Saturday, they put Gonzaga as the 4th #1 seed, and they were heavily criticized for that. It didn't bother me so much because, first, the Zags had not played St Mary's yet, and second, as the head of the committee said, there were 5 weeks left and that there would be many changes. Gonzaga beat St Mary's, and I am positive that if the Committee had waited a day to come out with their mini bracket, Gonzaga would Not have been the 4th #1 seed. Baylor lost to unranked Texas Tech too. Finally,I believe that the Zags have a better resume than Kansas because they lost to Iowa State at home, and we beat them on a neutral site. Their loss to Iowa St at home should help the Zags.

So let's wait and see what happens in the next month. The Zags,in my humble opinion, have the best resume, even better than Villainova's. After all, they did lose to unranked Marquette and has an RPI rank of 82, and a loss to Butler who has an RPI rank of 13. Gonzaga has no losses and victories over 2 teams who are ranked in the top 10 in the RPI, AND Villanova has 0 victories over top 10 teams. So I do believe if the Zags win out they will be the top #1 seed in the tournament. AND at the worst they'll be the second highest #1 seed. Not bad.
                Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                  Zag for Life
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                  Want no part of USC as an 8 seed in the 2nd Rd...or Wichita St for that matter (yesterday's projected 8 seed).

Every game I've watched the Trojans plays this season, i've come away impressed...even in their losses.
                  I watch a lot of Pac12 ball and I would have zero issue if we played USC, in fact I think we are a bad matchup for them. They have a lot of athletic guys but they are turnover prone versus quality opponents and don't shoot very well at all. I think we'd beat them pretty handily to be honest.

Comment

• seacatfan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                    I watch a lot of Pac12 ball and I would have zero issue if we played USC, in fact I think we are a bad matchup for them. They have a lot of athletic guys but they are turnover prone versus quality opponents and don't shoot very well at all. I think we'd beat them pretty handily to be honest.
                    I think USC would have the same problem Arizona did--nobody that can match up w/ Karno. Metu and Boatwright are long and athletic but no bulk.

Comment

Working...
                    X