• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigblahla
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Seattle Times Article

Seattle Times Article....

In addition to winning all 26 of their games, they have trounced AP Top 25 foes by an average of 10.5 points. But unless they finally make the Final Four, none of that stuff matters

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Is it wrong to want to slap a sportswriter?

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

College basketball may be the most unfair sport out there right now. No matter how much a team excels for the first four months, its whole season can be dismissed by one off game in March.

And even though Gonzaga has an impeccable résumé, the combination of it playing in the West Coast Conference and never getting past the Elite Eight likely seeped into committee members’ minds.

But that doesn’t mean this isn’t a great team. Former UW Husky Nigel Williams-Goss is one of the most sound point guards in the country, Polish center Przemek Karnowski (7 feet 1) is one of the most imposing big men, and given how no Zag is projected be taken in next June’s draft, Mark Few is one of the most proficient coaches.

The strides this program has taken over the past 18 years is immense. It would have been impossible to foresee the Zags as the top-ranked team in all the land for three weeks running.

Still, it’s hard to start celebrating their achievements just yet. Gonzaga has proved more than most would have imagined, but for it to be considered an elite program, there is still one more thing to prove.
      If slapping him for writing the obvious makes you feel better, go for it.

Slow news day. . .
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Zag365
        Zag for Life
        • Apr 2007

Nothing new here. Glosses over all of the incredible achievements of the program in the past 20 years and dismisses them because Gonzaga hasn't yet (and I stress "yet") reached a FF. It is superficial analysis. Gonzaga has way overachieved and its lack of a FF doesn't diminish its standing as one of the top MBB programs of the 21st Century.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Pretty decent article if you ask me. Nothing great, not a ton of research pretty lazy but it's just the typical perception. That's ok by me

Keep feeding the haters. We will need it
          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
            Is it wrong to want to slap a sportswriter?
            Not in this case. But this guy just wrote a column praising Markelle Fultz of the Huskies, he of the matador defense, so it's not exactly like he has the slightest clue about basketball.

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

I wish that every article that speak of us not getting into the final four has to mention our win/loss record in the first round. We have made several upsets in the first round, and an upset (big one) in the second round last year, as has happened frequently. That part is frustrating, b/c for me, nothing is worse than losing in the first round.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• Birddog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Complisult
                Perhaps you think this column reeks of disrespect for a team that hasn’t lost since last March. On the contrary. I think holding Gonzaga to the same standard as the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world is as respectful as it gets.
                Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                All mimsy were the borogoves,
                And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                  Complisult
                  Birddog, is it just me or do we have a hunter's mindset going into March this year? The only pressure the Zags seem to be feeling is the need to keep improving day by day.

Not saying our other teams weren't mentally tough, far from it. This team knows it can win with its defense, lessening the pressure when a few shots in a row don't fall. And look at all the players who have been "tested": NWG & JM (Pac 12), J3 (SEC), Karno-Silas-JP (GU). Our two freshmen were never your typical freshmen. They've played against high level competition, be it AAU or international.

With the job our coaching staff does, there will be no surprises coming from our next opponent.

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                    I wish that every article that speak of us not getting into the final four has to mention our win/loss record in the first round. We have made several upsets in the first round, and an upset (big one) in the second round last year, as has happened frequently. That part is frustrating, b/c for me, nothing is worse than losing in the first round.
                    Not getting in is worse, but a writer from Seattle can't/won't say that...very often.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• TravelinZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2012

The column stated nothing that hasn't appeared in this site often. Not offended by it. Final Four is the monkey on the Zags', and Mark Few's backs. This team can remove that, and I believe and fervently hope they will. More would be delicious gravy. However, the dance is cruel -- anything can, and does happen, except a #16 upsetting a #1 in the first round, which will occur some year. It is difficult to restrain our hopes and expectations (reasonable though they amy be). Winning the whole thing would be marvelous! They'll still have another tournament next year (with a nod to Duane Thomas). The 2016-17 Zags have already established themselves as one of the most memorable teams in GU history. What a ride this has been, and there's more to come! Thanks, gents, and thanks, Mark Few and coaches. Whether the season ends in rapture or dismay, I will hate to see it end. How much fun is this?

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TravelinZag View Post
                        The column stated nothing that hasn't appeared in this site often. Not offended by it. Final Four is the monkey on the Zags', and Mark Few's backs. This team can remove that, and I believe and fervently hope they will. More would be delicious gravy. However, the dance is cruel -- anything can, and does happen, except a #16 upsetting a #1 in the first round, which will occur some year. It is difficult to restrain our hopes and expectations (reasonable though they amy be). Winning the whole thing would be marvelous! They'll still have another tournament next year (with a nod to Duane Thomas). The 2016-17 Zags have already established themselves as one of the most memorable teams in GU history. What a ride this has been, and there's more to come! Thanks, gents, and thanks, Mark Few and coaches. Whether the season ends in rapture or dismay, I will hate to see it end. How much fun is this?

Comment

• OregonZag5
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

Fine with me

Slap him with both hands

Comment

• mgadfly
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Since 1999, 31 different teams have made the Final Four. Five of the 31 teams were not from a major conference. It'd be awesome to join that group, but I think that leaves about 320 teams envious of not just our regular season success but GU's tournament success as well. No Virginia, Baylor, Purdue, SMU, Oregon, Saint Mary's, Notre Dame, Iowa State, Florida State, Miami, Cal, etc... And certainly no UW.

I think the double standard is that somehow GU only making it to the Elite 8 is historical evidence that they can't, but year after year some of the same people pick Baylor or Oregon or Florida State because they are assumed good enough due to conference affiliation. I also wouldn't get too upset, because it appears as though GU is being held up to the standards set by top tier major conference teams. It has to be worse to have all the benefits of major conference affiliation, not make the tournament every year, and never make a final four, right?

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                              Not getting in is worse, but a writer from Seattle can't/won't say that...very often.
                              Not from Seattle. They hired him a year or so ago to replace either Bud or Jerry Brewer. I think he came from California, and is too young to know much.

Comment

Working...
                              X