PDA

View Full Version : I love coach Self

jazzdelmar
02-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Coach Self, he of the impeccable toup and personality, was on PTI and gave humongous props to Zags for the top top seed. Of course they do, was his simple response. Love coach Self, the man who also gave us Micah.

zagmantis2001
02-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Coach Self, he of the impeccable toup and personality, was on PTI and gave humongous props to Zags for the top top seed. Of course they do, was his simple response. Love coach Self, the man who also gave us Micah.

If I remember correctly we also got Batista because of him. I remember a story the Batista said he was recruited by Kansas and didn't really trust the coaching staff and committed to GU after visiting Kansas.

TheZagPhish
02-14-2017, 03:52 PM

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=18686954

Zags at 16:30

Reborn
02-14-2017, 04:05 PM
I also like him and saw him on that show. He and Mark Few have done unbelievable things with their teams for so many years. I HOPE WE PLAY THEM SOME TIME. imo, Self is better than Coach K. i hope THEY play each other in March.

Markburn1
02-14-2017, 04:16 PM
One of the best parts about the Kansas/WVU game last night was the break between regulation and OT. They showed the KU huddle and Coach Self was having a ball with his players. They were obviously having a good time. I suspect Coach was letting them know how much fun he was having and encouraging the players to do the same. The sideline reporter relayed Coach saying something to the effect that "we got em..overtime in our house...fun."

jazzdelmar
02-14-2017, 04:24 PM
One of the best parts about the Kansas/WVU game last night was the break between regulation and OT. They showed the KU huddle and Coach Self was having a ball with his players. They were obviously having a good time. I suspect Coach was letting them know how much fun he was having and encouraging the players to do the same. The sideline reporter relayed Coach saying something to the effect that "we got em..overtime in our house...fun."

He's mirthful.

Zagceo
02-14-2017, 04:42 PM

Almost like brothers......born hours apart.

gonstu
02-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Almost like brothers......born hours apart.

Sounds like a start to a great pre national championship game story

zagsfanforlife
02-14-2017, 07:04 PM
you mean the coach who has 3 players currently in trouble with the law? Ya hes running quite the honorable program. Bragg getting busted with drug paraphanalia,Vick punching his gf and Jackson and then vick grafittying cars of random people. Ya. Great job coach self!

meadgrad02
02-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Pretty sure we have had players in trouble with the law. Um, like this year? So Few isn't running an honorable program then too?

Zagsker
02-14-2017, 09:19 PM
you mean the coach who has 3 players currently in trouble with the law? Ya hes running quite the honorable program. Bragg getting busted with drug paraphanalia,Vick punching his gf and Jackson and then vick grafittying cars of random people. Ya. Great job coach self!

Good grief..#pretentiousgonzagafan

TheGonzagaFactor
02-15-2017, 06:04 AM

It's just because he wants us to have it and all the pressure while his team gets a chip on their shoulder. I highly doubt he really thinks that we should get the #1 overall, he's just respectful enough to nod his head and let the whole thing play out.

I don't really want the overall #1 (I think it'd be ridiculous and unfair for us to get it over Villanova), I just want to see them play well in March. If we make a f4 or win it all the seeds don't matter.

Birddog
02-15-2017, 06:30 AM
The stuff of legends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ElK5pRXQE

zagsfanforlife
02-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Good grief..#pretentiousgonzagafan

I sure hope few would suspend a player if he punched a girl in the face. Unlike your idol self

GoZags
02-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Monson's 1st year as HC ... and Fewie's 1st year as Assoc. Head Coach ... 1997 (Zags ended up in the NIT that season).

One season before taking up residence in Bracketville, Gonzaga routed Tulsa 78-40 at the Top of the World Classic in Anchorage, Alaska.
TU scored only 10 first-half points. When the Golden Hurricane scored on back-to-back possessions in the second half, then-coach Bill Self turned to his assistants and quipped, "We're heating up fellas."

Tulsa's performance was so bad that the coaching staff stayed up all night trying to figure out what went wrong and players had to endure a makeshift practice at the team hotel.

What was "wrong" was that Gonzaga was a lot better than anyone anticipated, as the college basketball world would soon discover. In the four seasons after blistering Tulsa, the Zags accumulated 109 victories. Only Duke, Michigan State and Cincinnati won more games during that span.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/tu-at-gonzaga-ask-tu-gonzaga-has-fangs/article_afdc60e6-267d-5c0c-a4de-cd6634410de9.html

Zagsker
02-15-2017, 07:47 AM
...Unlike your idol self

Lol..."your idol."

You win the "Jump to conclusions" award for the day.

Bravo

sittingon50
02-15-2017, 07:50 AM
The stuff of legends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ElK5pRXQE

:roll::roll::roll:

:clap:

zagsfanforlife
02-15-2017, 07:57 AM
Lol..."your idol."

You win the "Jump to conclusions" award for the day.

Bravo

I wonder if that woman's father shares the same viewpoint as you

thespywhozaggedme
02-15-2017, 08:16 AM
It's just because he wants us to have it and all the pressure while his team gets a chip on their shoulder. I highly doubt he really thinks that we should get the #1 overall, he's just respectful enough to nod his head and let the whole thing play out.

I don't really want the overall #1 (I think it'd be ridiculous and unfair for us to get it over Villanova), I just want to see them play well in March. If we make a f4 or win it all the seeds don't matter.

I'm sorry but this is such a self loathing post. You think that it's "ridiculous and unfair" for the #1 team in the nation, who is undefeated, has beaten Arizona, Florida, Iowa State, St. Mary's twice to get the top seed over a team that has two losses (two more than us, mind you) and it's best win is over Virginia or Creighton? Are you a Zags fan or Villanova fan, because your hyperbole is absurd and pretty pathetic, in my opinion.

GoZags
02-15-2017, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry but this is such a self loathing post. You think that it's "ridiculous and unfair" for the #1 team in the nation, who is undefeated, has beaten Arizona, Florida, Iowa State, St. Mary's twice to get the top seed over a team that has two losses (two more than us, mind you) and it's best win is over Virginia or Creighton? Are you a Zags fan or Villanova fan, because your hyperbole is absurd and pretty pathetic, in my opinion.

I don't know, Spy. I sure wouldn't have my nose out of joint if Gonzaga was slotted behind Villanova (if both programs continue to remain unbeaten from this point forward).

thespywhozaggedme
02-15-2017, 08:40 AM
I don't know, Spy. I sure wouldn't have my nose out of joint if Gonzaga was slotted behind Villanova (if both programs continue to remain unbeaten from this point forward).

Ok, but to say that it would be "ridiculous and unfair" is way over the top, and I know over the top. We're undefeated and have better wins than Nova and they have two losses. I just don't get why some in our own fan base have this, "Aw shucks, thanks for even talking to me, I don't deserve it" attitude. We're # 1 and not only do we deserve it, we earned it.

GoZags
02-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Ok, but to say that it would be "ridiculous and unfair" is way over the top, and I know over the top. We're undefeated and have better wins than Nova and they have two losses. I just don't get why some in our own fan base have this, "Aw shucks, thanks for even talking to me, I don't deserve it" attitude. We're # 1 and not only do we deserve it, we earned it.

I just happen to have respect for the 16 wins the Nova has over KenPom Top 100 programs (vs the 9 that GU has). In addition, Villanova has a grand total of 1 win against school(s) with KenPom ratings of 200 and above. Gonzaga has 10 times that amount (10 wins over 200 plus) ....

It's nice to be recognized by writers, coaches and some (most) of the computer polls/rankings ... but I don't see the "dis-honor" in acknowledging what the defending National Champion has accomplished thus far this season.

thespywhozaggedme
02-15-2017, 11:03 AM
I just happen to have respect for the 16 wins the Nova has over KenPom Top 100 programs (vs the 9 that GU has). In addition, Villanova has a grand total of 1 win against school(s) with KenPom ratings of 200 and above. Gonzaga has 10 times that amount (10 wins over 200 plus) ....

It's nice to be recognized by writers, coaches and some (most) of the computer polls/rankings ... but I don't see the "dis-honor" in acknowledging what the defending National Champion has accomplished thus far this season.

Me neither. My specific point was the "ridiculous and unfair" comment. Do you think it would be "ridiculous and unfair" to get the overall #1 see over Nova? I don't at all. We deserve to be #1 and more importantly we've earned it. Nova is great, but they've lost two games, two more than we have.

CDC84
02-15-2017, 11:11 AM
I wish Coach Self and his team would do a home and home series with Gonzaga. How'd y'all like to see the Jayhawks in the Kennel??

GoZags
02-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Me neither. My specific point was the "ridiculous and unfair" comment. Do you think it would be "ridiculous and unfair" to get the overall #1 see over Nova? I don't at all. We deserve to be #1 and more importantly we've earned it. Nova is great, but they've lost two games, two more than we have.

The new (and hopefully improved) me tries not to get worked up over what others think .... in this case I respect that Villanova is currently #1 in the only rating that matters.

TexasZagFan
02-15-2017, 11:34 AM
I wish Coach Self and his team would do a home and home series with Gonzaga. How'd y'all like to see the Jayhawks in the Kennel??

I'd be up for it...only an 8 hour drive to Lawrence.

I'd also like to see a home-and-home with Baylor, SMU, TCU, A&M, OU, OSU, UTEP (when they get better), NMSU, UNM, K-State, Wichita State.

JPtheBeasta
02-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Monson's 1st year as HC ... and Fewie's 1st year as Assoc. Head Coach ... 1997 (Zags ended up in the NIT that season).

http://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/tu-at-gonzaga-ask-tu-gonzaga-has-fangs/article_afdc60e6-267d-5c0c-a4de-cd6634410de9.html

Awesome find. Thanks :)

seacatfan
02-15-2017, 12:19 PM
I started disliking Self when he was coaching at Illinois and my dislike followed him to Kansas. We all have coaches we like or dislike for various reasons.

Zagsker
02-15-2017, 12:58 PM
I wonder if that woman's father shares the same viewpoint as you

That you should win the "Jump to Conclusions" award?

LongIslandZagFan
02-15-2017, 01:33 PM
That you should win the "Jump to Conclusions" award?

http://cdn.photogyps.com/thumbnail/OIP.M594327a4ff8959c68df7aec0721bd71dH0