PDA

View Full Version : NIT Experimental rule changes

sittingon50
02-13-2017, 01:14 PM
posted by our friend mjgogaels on the SMC Board with the title:
As a courtesy to our BYU & USF fans;)

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-02-13/college-basketball-experimental-rules-approved-2017-nit

kitzbuel
02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Seems a bit confusing. Is the foul reset issue truly that big of an issue with coaches?

hondo
02-13-2017, 01:41 PM
If this is to be like the women's game in which fouls are reset each quarter and then after 5 fouls the fouled player get 2 free throws, I like it. The game moves more smoothly and it is harder for the fouling team to gain advantage by committing a foul.

Mr Vulture
02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
May as well just go to quarters if they decide to implement this rule. I think the only level of basketball that doesn't have four quarters is college men's anyway.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 02:36 PM
May as well just go to quarters if they decide to implement this rule. I think the only level of basketball that doesn't have four quarters is college men's anyway.

Change timeouts to every five minutes if you go four quarters.

North Idaho Zag
02-13-2017, 03:36 PM
The rule change I would like to see is that once you get into the 1&1 (and beyond) the team that was fouled on the floor (not fouls in the act of shooting) has the choice to shoot or take the ball out of bounds. In the final 30 sec. of the game (shot clock off) this would revert to the current rules to allow for comeback attempts. This would essentially eliminate the Hack-A-Whoever tactic and teams starting to foul before the final 30 sec. in an attempt to lengthen the game. To me there is nothing worse in basketball than when a team down by say 8 or so starts fouling with like 2 min. left.

seacatfan
02-13-2017, 03:59 PM
The women's games go so much faster since they changed to 4 quarters. They almost always finish in less than 2 hours, men's games almost always go over that mark. A few less media TO's (nobody will miss that except advertisers), a bit more streamlined. Don't reward teams for "hack-a-whoever" strategy. Like mentioned above men's college basketball is the only version of the game anywhere in the world at any level that plays 2 halves instead of 4 quarters. It's kinda weird when you think about it.