sittingon50
02-13-2017, 01:06 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

kitzbuel
02-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Weber St would love the home game...

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Whats the logic behind allowing overall No.1 seed to choose bracket?

They've always been placed in the nearest to campus bracket in the past why would any school choose a farther destination.....unless the could preview the draw which is not gonna happen as far as I know.....Anyone?

sittingon50
02-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Whats the logic behind allowing overall No.1 seed to choose bracket?

They've always been placed in the nearest to campus bracket in the past why would any school choose a farther destination.....unless the could preview the draw which is not gonna happen as far as I know.....Anyone?

IIRC as to the reasoning:
Kansas was the overall #1 last year & sent to the South where the Regional was in Louisville. Their preference was the Midwest in Chicago where they had a bigger alumni base.
According to Google Maps:
Lawrence to Louisville = 981 miles
Lawrence to Chicago = 995 miles.

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Wow.....now that's influence.

Thanks

zagdontzig
02-13-2017, 02:23 PM
How relevant are Lunardi's predictions once the selection committee starts releasing previews?

jazzdelmar
02-14-2017, 04:08 AM
Nova Wahoos, Zags Butler dream S16 games for mother ship CBS. And that's a total coincidence.

gonzagafan62
02-14-2017, 04:54 AM
Nova Wahoos, Zags Butler dream S16 games for mother ship CBS. And that's a total coincidence.

Did you watch the preview show? The explanation would debunk all of your (and everyone else's) conspiracy theory's. There's actually reasons.

CDC84
02-14-2017, 07:34 AM
Regarding the unveiling of the 16 team bracket on Saturday......

After having listened to a million and one podcasts, the consensus seems to be that Butler shouldn't have been on the list, and that Wisconsin should've taken their place. Also, Florida State was seeded too high because almost all of their massive wins are at home. Lastly, Gonzaga deserved, at a minimum, to be behind Nova on the S curve.

IIRC as to the reasoning:
Kansas was the overall #1 last year & sent to the South where the Regional was in Louisville. Their preference was the Midwest in Chicago where they had a bigger alumni base.
According to Google Maps:
Lawrence to Louisville = 981 miles
Lawrence to Chicago = 995 miles.

I spoke to an analyst last night who indeed verified that the change was made due to Kansas being really unhappy about being placed in the Louisville regional. He also told me that he thinks that the number one overall is also going to be able to pick their subregional site. As we have discussed, if the latter is true, and GU gets the number one overall, they may want Sacramento instead of SLC even though Sacramento is a little further from Spokane.

former1dog
02-14-2017, 07:54 AM
I spoke to an analyst last night who indeed verified that the change was made due to Kansas being really unhappy about being placed in the Louisville regional. He also told me that he thinks that the number one overall is also going to be able to pick their subregional site. As we have discussed, if the latter is true, and GU gets the number one overall, they may want Sacramento instead of SLC even though Sacramento is a little further from Spokane.

Can you elaborate on the reasoning? It is much easier to travel to SLC versus Sacramento for the team and everyone else. There is already a fan base here in SLC.

TexasZagFan
02-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Did you watch the preview show? The explanation would debunk all of your (and everyone else's) conspiracy theory's. There's actually reasons.

That part of the show was informative.

zagdontzig
02-14-2017, 10:14 AM
[GU] may want Sacramento instead of SLC even though Sacramento is a little further from Spokane.

Can you elaborate on the reasoning? It is much easier to travel to SLC versus Sacramento for the team and everyone else. There is already a fan base here in SLC.

Sentiment seconded; the SLC fan base is big, and fiercely dedicated to traveling and attending games. Two buses to Provo every year. That said, I don't know all that much about Sacramento's alumni association.

strikenowhere
02-14-2017, 11:07 AM
Two things:

#1 - I'd imagine SLC would be a better location; judging by the general tone of chatter over at CougarBoard regarding Gonzaga's program there would be a lot of BYU fans rooting for them.

#2 - I love seeing 1's as far as the eye can see over at BracketMatrix.com (http://bracketmatrix.com/)

rennis
02-14-2017, 11:18 AM
I say no to SLC just because of what happened in '13

TexasZagFan
02-14-2017, 12:09 PM
I say no to SLC just because of what happened in '13

I'm all for exorcising demons. For example, we exorcised the UCLA demon in Houston two years ago. The photos of Ammo in the final moments have been sent to the dustbin of history.

Snagglezag
02-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Two things:

#1 - I'd imagine SLC would be a better location; judging by the general tone of chatter over at CougarBoard regarding Gonzaga's program there would be a lot of BYU fans rooting for them.

#2 - I love seeing 1's as far as the eye can see over at BracketMatrix.com (http://bracketmatrix.com/)

That was not my experience in SLC in '13. There was a lot of Zag hate/envy (at least in my section). The Southern and WSU games were brutal.

Zagcity
02-14-2017, 01:03 PM
That was not my experience in SLC in '13. There was a lot of Zag hate/envy (at least in my section). The Southern and WSU games were brutal.

I can concur- the forces that wanted GU to loose in the round of 64 and be the first number 1 seed to do so were rampant. :(

gonstu
02-14-2017, 01:46 PM
I can concur- the forces that wanted GU to loose in the round of 64 and be the first number 1 seed to do so were rampant. :(

To be fair, any neutral fan would root for the 1-seed in that scenario.

DukeSilver
02-14-2017, 01:58 PM

I was there, and pretty much every neutral fan in the building was rooting for the upset in both games.

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Sacramento would be a terrific spot to land... lots of Zags fans and alums
in California, and of course most of the WCC is in California...
Win 2, and then head back to Silicon Valley a week later... pretty nice blueprint
if you're trying to get to Glendale, AZ

adoptedzag
02-14-2017, 02:41 PM

In my experience, that's almost never the case. In every NCAA tournament I've been to, the neutral fan base _always_ roots for the underdog. Both Men's and Women's.

Edited to add: I always root for the underdogs, too in the interest of full disclosure.

gonstu
02-14-2017, 06:33 PM
In my experience, that's almost never the case. In every NCAA tournament I've been to, the neutral fan base _always_ roots for the underdog. Both Men's and Women's.

Edited to add: I always root for the underdogs, too in the interest of full disclosure.

I mistyped, I meant the fans would root for the upset!

CDC84
02-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Can you elaborate on the reasoning?

Because the building has bad voodoo. Imagine being Karnowski and going back to that building....knowing that your team lost to Wichita State in the exact same building as a #1 seed in 2013. I don't know.....I get spooked out about such things. I'd rather play in Sacramento. Too many bad memories in what is now called the Vivint Smart Home Arena.

That being said, it is to my understanding that Gonzaga would rather play in Salt Lake City. So if the team gets a choice, that is what will happen.

TexasZagFan
02-15-2017, 10:52 AM
Because the building has bad voodoo. Imagine being Karnowski and going back to that building....knowing that your team lost to Wichita State in the exact same building as a #1 seed in 2013. I don't know.....I get spooked out about such things. I'd rather play in Sacramento. Too many bad memories in what is now called the Vivint Smart Home Arena.

That being said, it is to my understanding that Gonzaga would rather play in Salt Lake City. So if the team gets a choice, that is what will happen.

I'm in the other camp...let's exorcise that last demon. We're better equipped to handle the altitude vs. teams east of the Mississippi.

UCLA demon was exorcised in Houston two years ago.

former1dog
02-15-2017, 12:06 PM

SLC is also the home of the (one of the) biggest donor families that Gonzaga has, so there's that also.

I'm selfishly happy that if given the choice they'll come here as I really don't like to go to BYU to watch them play and this will be a chance for me to see them live.