PDA

View Full Version : Arizona, UCLA or Oregon?

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Which PAC-12 team would you most like to see Zags play in NCAA Tourney?
Hopefully in the Elite Eight (assuming Zags get #1 with one of these three three the #2 or #3)...

strikenowhere
02-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Hopefully in the Elite Eight (assuming Zags get #1 with one of these three three the #2 or #3)...

UCLA - Zags would be able to keep up offensively, but UCLA's defense wouldn't be able to keep pace.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Why not all 3? Elite 8, FF, and title game? That would really frost the Blue Bloods East of the Rockies.

maynard g krebs
02-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Why not all 3? Elite 8, FF, and title game? That would really frost the Blue Bloods East of the Rockies.

CBS would never allow it.

Little to choose between the 3 really, but as of now I'd prefer Zona the way they're struggling. UCLA can go off on any night and outscore you. Arizona, all you have to do is score over 65 and you win if you defend decently.

BayAreaZagFan
02-13-2017, 11:25 AM
UCLA. Purely for personal reasons. I live and work among Pac 12 fans and all I ever hear about is UCLA. I really, really hope we get a chance to play them and beat their a... Next up would be Oregon, just because I thinking beating them would look better on paper than beating Arizona. Again. Bottom line is, though, it doesn't really matter. Just as long as the Zags beat whatever team they're playing.

amaronizag
02-13-2017, 11:30 AM
I'd choose AZ for the same reason as Maynard, worst offense of the three. GU is a lot better now than when we played them without Trier. Bill Walton (sorry) thinks AZ was a better team before Trier returned. Could be, but it isn't tournament time yet. I'd least like to face UCLA because they can shoot lights out and outscore anyone on a given night. When they're on one of their top scoring runs, nobody can keep up with that pace. GU is really efficient, but we'd need to put up 70+ shots to out score them. OR would be my #2 choice. They can score and rebound. OR plays defense better than UCLA, but on a given night, the OR offense disappears so I think the GU defense can slow them down -- GU wins a close one.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2017, 12:00 PM
Don't really care. Anyone anytime

Goshzagit
02-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Definitely UCLA.

Overall, best matchup from a bigs perspective.

We'd struggle guarding Ball on the ball, & would love to see us vs TJ Leaf down low.

For me, I'd rather play Oregon than Arizona.

When Arizona's guards get aggressive, no one can slow them down. Biggest strongest collection of guards. They got back in our game with penetration & Kobi Simmons handling the ball. With PJC at point & Rawle & Simmons & Trier driving puts way more pressure on our guards & bigs to defend the rim.

Oregon is a terrific shooting & slashing team, yet Gonzaga defends this scheme much better.

Not saying AZ is better than O, yet I feel Oregon offers better match up from top to bottom.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2017, 12:14 PM
So some hater posted onFB that zags are garbage and it's because our SOS is 75 and that we are not from a power conference

I said look at UCLA they are 104.....

He hasn't responded

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 12:16 PM
So some hater posted onFB that zags are garbage and it's because our SOS is 75 and that we are not from a power conference

He hasn't responded

Probably doesn't know how to respond to "alternative facts." :lmao:

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Definitely UCLA.

Overall, best matchup from a bigs perspective.

We'd struggle guarding Ball on the ball, & would love to see us vs TJ Leaf down low.

For me, I'd rather play Oregon than Arizona.

When Arizona's guards get aggressive, no one can slow them down. Biggest strongest collection of guards. They got back in our game with penetration & Kobi Simmons handling the ball. With PJC at point & Rawle & Simmons & Trier driving puts way more pressure on our guards & bigs to defend the rim.

Oregon is a terrific shooting & slashing team, yet Gonzaga defends this scheme much better.

Not saying AZ is better than O, yet I feel Oregon offers better match up from top to bottom.

Ball's a heckuva player, and we might "struggle". OTOH, Silas would hound him to Kingdom Come.

As to Arizona, all I can offer is this: it was impossible not to notice how hard the Zags were playing on defense Saturday night. I'll be watching this over the next few games, to see if our guys keep moving their feet like they did on defense. Sure, there'd be more pressure on our guards than what SMC gave us, but I'm convinced they'd be effective enough to force them to drive to a spot where our bigs can contest the shot, or force them to pass the ball back out. I'm sure J3 can hound Markaanen enough to give him troubles beyond the arc.

The Zags defense is designed to limit the shots you prefer.

MDABE80
02-13-2017, 12:20 PM
We've played UCLA before and AZ too. The quiet issue has been Orefon. We've not played them probably due to something Few's history with them. Like he went there. Still it never has added up to me. Wonder if the Nike connect to Phil Knight has something to do with it. For me, I'd like to play Oregon. AZ is kinda old hat. UCLA has decided to play defense in the last couple of games so they're looking better. Oregon looks dangerous. Somehow, somewhere, we'll meet up with Oregon.

Zagger
02-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Oregon ..... We haven't played them ... in how long?
I think they're the more challenging of the three. I'd just as soon the Zags play NW teams too if given the chance. Love the rivalry games.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Oregon ..... We haven't played them ... in how long?
I think they're the more challenging of the three. I'd just as soon the Zags play NW teams too if given the chance. Love the rivalry games.

Now that I think about it, Arizona would be my third choice, only because we've played them recently. Oregon or UCLA? Either one's fine.

ConnZag3
02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
UCLA would be the best of the options I think. Their defense is like swiss cheese and NWG and Perkins would be able to carve up Alford on drives and dishes to the bigs. We might score 100 on UCLA but we'd be nowhere near giving up 100 given how good the Zags defense is this year. Oregon would be the most concerning I think as they seem to be scalding hot when they're hot. Arizona knows us well and we weren't exactly impressive against them in LA and they were without Trier and PJC. AZ would grind us and I think that's the most scary game flow for this Zags team.

NotoriousZ
02-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Arizona. Not that I don't think we could beat Oregon or UCLA, but they both look pretty damn good right next now and I can't tell you how much I want to make it to the Final Four. Given a choice of all the teams we could face in the Elete Eight, I'd take Kentucky.

maynard g krebs
02-13-2017, 12:52 PM
The quiet issue has been Orefon. We've not played them probably due to something Few's history with them. Like he went there. Still it never has added up to me.

I've read a lot of rumors about bad blood over Ridnour's recruitment, w/ recriminations on both sides, but different staff and long ago, so who knows. Logically, a home and home would be high profile nationally now and good for all parties, win or lose.

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 12:56 PM
I've read a lot of rumors about bad blood over Ridnour's recruitment, w/ recriminations on both sides, but different staff and long ago, so who knows. Logically, a home and home would be high profile nationally now and good for all parties, win or lose.

Really?

Good for Few?

Have we ever played Oregon in Few era?

maynard g krebs
02-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Really?

Good for Few?

Have we ever played Oregon in Few era?

Accusations on both sides. Not good for anyone as far as I could tell; no way for a bystander to know objectively. Maybe someone has inside info about it; I don't.

I think there was a neutral site holiday tourney game fairly early in the Kent years. Can't remember for sure though.

scrooner
02-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Someone on ESPN kept throwing out that we are 0-9 against Oregon (all games played last century).

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/matchup_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1950&year_max=2016&school_id=gonzaga&opp_id=oregon&comp_school=le&rank_school=ANY&comp_opp=le&rank_opp=ANY&game_type=A&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_overtime=&order_by=date_game

Would be nice to start this century at 1-0 against them.

maynard g krebs
02-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Someone on ESPN kept throwing out that we are 0-9 against Oregon (all games played last century).

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/matchup_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1950&year_max=2016&school_id=gonzaga&opp_id=oregon&comp_school=le&rank_school=ANY&comp_opp=le&rank_opp=ANY&game_type=A&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_overtime=&order_by=date_game

Would be nice to start this century at 1-0 against them.

Thanks. Few/Kent matchup was December '99; Oregon won 70-64.

Zaga
02-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Ditto

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-13-2017, 01:31 PM
I'd like to see Zags vs UCLA. Tourney redemption game...hopefully Ammo, JP Batista et al could attend and their demons be exorcised somewhat.

scrooner
02-13-2017, 01:51 PM
I'd like to see Zags vs UCLA. Tourney redemption game...hopefully Ammo, JP Batista et al could attend and their demons be exorcised somewhat.

Like this?

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/27/8304161/gonzaga-ucla-2015-results-score-ncaa-tournament-sweet-16

RenoZag
02-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Oregon or Arizona. Not sure the Zags would get a fair shake from the zebras if they were facing UCLA. . .the TV powers that be would love to put Lonzo and the UCLA brand front and center for 6 games, if they could. . .

In the end, if GU wants to be the best, they'll have to beat the best.

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Oregon or Arizona. Not sure the Zags would get a fair shake from the zebras if they were facing UCLA. . .the TV powers that be would love to put Lonzo and the UCLA brand front and center for 6 games, if they could. . .

In the end, if GU wants to be the best, they'll have to beat the best.

Oregon UCLA was the highest Rated PAC 12 game in ESPN history

to your point

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Like this?

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/27/8304161/gonzaga-ucla-2015-results-score-ncaa-tournament-sweet-16

Yes, just like this!

Zagsker
02-13-2017, 02:44 PM

He hasn't responded

Wait..someone on FB wrote something stupid?!

RenoZag
02-13-2017, 03:04 PM

to your point

I know it reads like I'm a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy dude. . .TV ratings and the $$ that go with it are powerful stuff.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Wait..someone on FB wrote something stupid?!

It's probably the worst argument I've ever seen. Only reason I posted it lol

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-13-2017, 03:30 PM

to your point

What's the chance of Zags, Bruins OR Ducks OR Arizona being seeded 1, 2, 3 in West Region? That could set up a Bruins v Ducks Sweet 16 game with, hopefully, Zags ready to rumble in the Elite Eightbb

seacatfan
02-13-2017, 03:40 PM
What's the chance of Zags, Bruins OR Ducks OR Arizona being seeded 1, 2, 3 in West Region? That could set up a Bruins v Ducks Sweet 16 game with, hopefully, Zags ready to rumble in the Elite Eightbb

Highly unlikely. A #1 seed will get to stay out West, maybe a #2, but at some point the committee starts shipping teams all over the place and trying to "balance" the bracket or whatever. In recent years Wisconsin was the #2 and #1 in the West in consecutive years. That and they're supposed to try to avoid conference foes potentially facing each other as much as possible, so a #2 and #3 seed from the Pac 12 both in the West is unlikely. With the pod system the 1st and 2nd round really doesn't matter which Region you're seeded in, but I'll predict 2 of the Pac 12 teams get shipped out.

maynard g krebs
02-14-2017, 03:00 PM
I know it reads like I'm a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy dude. . .TV ratings and the $$ that go with it are powerful stuff.

Just common sense, but lots of people don't want to hear it, so they shoot the messenger, as I know from experience.

zagdontzig
02-14-2017, 03:27 PM

yyyyyaaasssssss

For me though, I'd say UCLA or zona, Oregon feels like a bit of an unknown quantity, can dominate or suck any night.

Reborn
02-14-2017, 04:43 PM
My favorite PAC 12 team is Arizina, and I really like Sean Miller. Neither Miller or Few have made it to the Final 4, and I hope they both make it this year, and that we play them in the semis. I hope we play Kansas in FINALS. I hope Kansas plays Duke in the Elite 8 and keeps them from getting to Final 4. Y would like to play the winner of Florida St and Oregon in the Elite 8.

maynard g krebs
02-14-2017, 05:47 PM
yyyyyaaasssssss

For me though, I'd say UCLA or zona, Oregon feels like a bit of an unknown quantity, can dominate or suck any night.

When has Oregon sucked? Other that early when Brooks was out or working his way back, of course. IMO the team that can suck on a given night is Zona.

willandi
02-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Personally, I would like to avoid all three, while the Zags beat ACC, B10, Big 12 teams all the way to, and including, the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

zagsfanforlife
02-14-2017, 07:39 PM
if youre a zags fan you should care about just winning the game. AZ is our best chance to win although i think on any night we could beat all three. UCLA and ORegon have better offensive potential and when either are hot from outside they are very hard to beat. I think AZ we beat 9 out of 10 times. The others 5-6 out of 10.

OregonZag5
02-15-2017, 07:09 AM
NOT OREGON. I would not live through the game. I grew up 3 blocks from McArthur Court( old basketball court), 4 blocks from the old football stadium, parents had season tickets to both basketball and football, head coaches of both sports were my parent's best friends, I have had football season tickets for over 40 years and worst of all one son is a duck, another son is a double duck and their mother and my wife is a double duck( although she wears GU gear when we watch and go to Zag games). The boys ( well men now) are hoping for a Zag- Duck game to ( as they say) teach their father a lesson, the wife is praying the rosary it does not happen as she will have to pick sides and the boys keep remaindering her of degrees.

Zagceo
02-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Would love to see NWG Ball.....JWIII/Collins TJ Leaf.....JM Alford matchups.

So would the scouts.

TexasZagFan
02-15-2017, 08:30 AM
NOT OREGON. I would not live through the game. I grew up 3 blocks from McArthur Court( old basketball court), 4 blocks from the old football stadium, parents had season tickets to both basketball and football, head coaches of both sports were my parent's best friends, I have had football season tickets for over 40 years and worst of all one son is a duck, another son is a double duck and their mother and my wife is a double duck( although she wears GU gear when we watch and go to Zag games). The boys ( well men now) are hoping for a Zag- Duck game to ( as they say) teach their father a lesson, the wife is praying the rosary it does not happen as she will have to pick sides and the boys keep remaindering her of degrees.

Considering that my wife is an UTEP alum, and my daughter a UNT alum, my life is peaches compared to yours.