PDA

View Full Version : Blue bloods getting riled up today...

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 06:21 AM
At least a younger coworker who's a big Duke fan.

You know their spiel, Gonzaga's a mid-major, fans going ape over a phenomenal year.

and all the zags are pissing their pants in excitement over nothing. espn likes it because it's a good story. until tourney time when they lose 2nd round

my reply:
[‎2/‎13/‎2017 9:08 AM]
Zags have played to their seed 14 of 17 games, have won in the first round 8 years straight. How many ACC teams can say that.
Obvious that you haven't seen the Zags this year...

That's irrelevant because more ACC teams get in. UNC was in final game last year, duke won the year before, louisville won it in 2013

my last comment
You should listen to Bilas
why not enjoy it
No cockiness here
long way to go
At least I went to the school

Then he calls Bilas a "former Dukie." :lmao:

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 06:50 AM
if you throw any mid to top tear team from the ACC into the WCC we wouldnt be having this conversation
they no competition

Me:
Then why won't an ACC team agree to a home and home with the Zags?
Believe me, much has been made on the Zag Board how little the WCC has done to improve.

acc teams play in cameron...going to puny gonzaga isn't anything in that high school gym of theirs
why isn't mark few scheduling better games?

Me:
Weak sauce, Cameron holds 9300, the Kennel 6000.
Cameron is older than me...lol.

Me:
Duke enrollment 15K, Gonzaga 7K...Duke's arena should hold at least 12K. UTEP has better attendance than Duke.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Gotta love it Tex!

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Gotta love it Tex!

Thanks...the Syracuse alum that works next to me isn't even following his team this year.

I'm all for welcoming "band wagon" fans to our side...it's just the bandwagoners at Duke (and other blue bloods) are so annoying.

Like I said, it's getting down to Final Four or nothing this year. I'm not going to get overconfident, just pray for a healthy team entering the tournament.

titopoet
02-13-2017, 07:16 AM
Gotta love it Tex!

I guess Tex TRIPPED up the Dookie fan with facts making his day a rainy and Grayson Allen type of day.

scrooner
02-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Duke fans shouldn't talk about early exits after losing in a 2-15 game and a 3-14 game this decade.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 07:32 AM
I guess Tex TRIPPED up the Dookie fan with facts making his day a rainy and Grayson Allen type of day.

Like this?

https://ralphiesportal.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/1280877_594736787231047_1535798220_n.jpg

Those of us who've been on this board for years know all the talking points. We'd love it if the WCC had 6-8 competitive teams out of the 10 in the conference. I think it's disgusting when you see barely 1000 at a Pepperdine game...against BYU.

And when I ask him why no ACC will agree to a home and home with the Zags, he calls the Kennel a "high school gym," and displays an incredible lack of knowledge and respect for GU.

Anything less than a Final Four will be seen as "underperforming" by the Blue Bloods. As long as we can stay healthy, it's ours for the taking.

jake
02-13-2017, 09:02 AM
My biggest issue is the big conference fans using arguments I don't see anyone making to imply we aren't worthy of a #1 seed or ranking. "Put them in the ACC, or the XYZ conference and they wouldn't be undefeated." I'm actually happy to concede that point, but I haven't heard anyone making that argument. No team in those conferences is undefeated either. There is one team in the top 10 with 2 losses. Four with 3 losses. One with 4 losses and one with 5 losses. Given that, I don't see how recognizing it's almost assured we would not be undefeated in a major conference, proves anything about deserving to be a #1 seed or ranked at or near the top of the polls.

zagamatic
02-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Duke fans shouldn't talk about early exits after losing in a 2-15 game and a 3-14 game this decade.

THIS! Kentucky has even failed to make the tournament this decade.
What makes this year's team and record even more impressive is it's not a "down year" across the board, except perhaps in the BIG10, (how is Michigan state even in the discussion btw). What I mean is, the blue blood leagues are expected to take nearly all of the at large bids from what I've seen. And the Zags have beaten the leaders of the PAC12, AND SEC along with Tennessee who beat Kentucky. I also believe that SMC is fully equipped to make a run to the second weekend.
And IF we get fortunate enough to stay undefeated and win the title it will mean a ton more than in other years when there aren't as many teams who have a legit shot at it.

CDC84
02-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Gonzaga has had true home and homes with Wake Forest and Virginia.

Duke will not schedule a home and home with anyone. Even Kansas. Coach K actually hates the ACC/Big 10 Challenge because it forces his team to play a true non-league road game every other year. If he had it his way, it would be nothing but neutral site games and home games for his Dukies.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Gonzaga has had true home and homes with Wake Forest and Virginia.

Duke will not schedule a home and home with anyone. Even Kansas. Coach K actually hates the ACC/Big 10 Challenge because it forces his team to play a true non-league road game every other year. If he had it his way, it would be nothing but neutral site games and home games for his Dukies.

I wonder if the NC "Bathroom Bill" is going to hit Duke and NC, i.e. in their ability to draw nonconference foes to Cameron and Chapel Hill?

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 09:26 AM
I wonder if the NC "Bathroom Bill" is going to hit Duke and NC, i.e. in their ability to draw nonconference foes to Cameron and Chapel Hill?

Shirley ......you've heard this news

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/02/12/as-texas-considers-a-bathroom-bill-the-nfl-issues-a-warning/?utm_term=.bf070a22c152

MontanaCoyote
02-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Me:

Me:

Me:

That's it exactly! You keep layin that Habanero Internal Combustion XXX Hot Sauce on 'um. Let 'um choke on that!

ZagsGoZags
02-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Go get 'em Tex !! Good job taking them on.
Out of all our ammunition in this argument, there are only two
bullets in our revolver that will work.
Bullet one - we play in the Final Four
Bullet two - we play for the Nat'l championship.
Let's use bullet two this year. Nothing else will quiet the pureblood's arguments.

scrooner
02-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Gonzaga did a home & home with West Virginia in 2012 & 2013, but now that we are 3-0 against them it doesn't seem likely to return.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2017, 09:39 AM
Gonzaga did a home & home with West Virginia in 2012 & 2013, but now that we are 3-0 against them it doesn't seem likely to return.

Aren't we like 9-0 against our last 9 big 12 teams? I think so

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Shirley ......you've heard this news

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/02/12/as-texas-considers-a-bathroom-bill-the-nfl-issues-a-warning/?utm_term=.bf070a22c152

It hasn't registered concerns locally, as the next 4 SB sites have been set. After 2021, JerryWorld will be about a dozen years old, and will be considered a relic. Who knows how popular the NFL is going to be four years hence, now that players are becoming more political, and fewer kids are playing football.

ETA2: For the most part, NFL helps to occupy my TV time until Midnight Madness commences...nothing more. My family's happy when the Cowboys are doing well, and I've been too far removed from the Bay Area to remain a Raiders fan. The emphasis on fantasy football from my kids, nieces and nephews drives me further into the solitude of my man cave.

IMO, the trend I'm seeing is for business establishments to convert their restrooms into unisex/family facilities, i.e. single rooms. Seems a far better solution to me.

ETA: Just another reason I'm thankful that the Texas legislature meets once every two years...less time for mischief making.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Aren't we like 9-0 against our last 9 big 12 teams? I think so

You may be right, though we did lose to Oklahoma when Blake Griffin was a freshman. He and Pargo really put on a show. It was only a 3 mile drive for us, a veritable hop, skip, and jump...lol.

Mr Vulture
02-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Just a quick perusal of the records versus P5 Conference teams over the past five seasons. This would include the NCAA tournament and two seasons where we all knew our team wasn't nearly at the level of this years team. I think this shows we can play with these conferences and these P5 conferences just love to make excuses. Of course we'd likely lose a couple games in a P5 conference this year, but we'd still be challenging for the title in any of those leagues this season. I think that KenPom shows that to be the case as does our record versus the Top 50 which currently sits at 6-0 or maybe 7-0 if I looked before the 2nd St Marys game.

Overall we are 25-9 versus these schools. We are 5-0 versus the SEC, 10-4 versus the Pac12 (3 losses to Arizona), 8-2 versus the Big12, 1-1 versus the Big10, and 1-2 versus the ACC.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Just a quick perusal of the records versus P5 Conference teams over the past five seasons. This would include the NCAA tournament and two seasons where we all knew our team wasn't nearly at the level of this years team. I think this shows we can play with these conferences and these P5 conferences just love to make excuses. Of course we'd likely lose a couple games in a P5 conference this year, but we'd still be challenging for the title in any of those leagues this season. I think that KenPom shows that to be the case as does our record versus the Top 50 which currently sits at 6-0 or maybe 7-0 if I looked before the 2nd St Marys game.

Overall we are 25-9 versus these schools. We are 5-0 versus the SEC, 10-4 versus the Pac12 (3 losses to Arizona), 8-2 versus the Big12, 1-1 versus the Big10, and 1-2 versus the ACC.

I need to get over my ire with power 5 fans, and chalk it up to jealousy on their part. I'm going to enjoy this team for what it is, a band of brothers with a chip on its collective shoulder.

Time for me to order those #1 shirts for family members.

gonzagafan62
02-13-2017, 10:15 AM
You may be right, though we did lose to Oklahoma when Blake Griffin was a freshman. He and Pargo really put on a show. It was only a 3 mile drive for us, a veritable hop, skip, and jump...lol.

Well here's what I remember.

5-0 vs Big 12 in 2013, West Virginia @morgantown (2014), Oklahoma State (2014), Iowa State (2016)

But I just remembered .... we lost to KState (the game dower hurt his back in the wildcat classic)

GoZags
02-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Interesting to note that 8 of those 34 games were played at home.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Well here's what I remember.

5-0 vs Big 12 in 2013, West Virginia @morgantown (2014), Oklahoma State (2014), Iowa State (2016)

But I just remembered .... we lost to KState (the game dower hurt his back in the wildcat classic)

That was a tough loss in Wichita. It snowed that evening, we woke up to 6" on the ground the next morning.