PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Lloyd on the Mark Few Show

Section 116
02-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Greg Heister had an interview with Tommy Lloyd on this evening's Mark Few show and I thought I'd share what I recall as I found the chat interesting and informative. Heister asked about building a program like the Zags and Tommy said this is something that evolves over a long period of time. No successful program is an overnight sensation, it takes time and effort to get to a level where the Zags find themselves. Heister asked about the difference between the kids a program like Duke gets and how the Zags do it differently, mostly focusing on Tommy's continued success in Europe. Heister brought up AAU programs and ratings services, etc that many "blueblood" programs use. Lloyd said he likes looking for kids in Europe. He said over there the players he looks at are most often playing for a national team and they compete hard as they are representing their country. Here he said many AAU programs are "showcasing" one or two players trying to get the kid as many offers as possible. Tommy said most all the kids he talks to in Europe are very aware of Gonzaga because of their continued and long term success. Heister asked about bringing kids to Spokane in the winter (cue the current outdoor scenes) and Tommy said of course, winter is basketball season and Spokane is a basketball town. Heister noted Tommy has been with the program for a long time and does he see himself staying. Tommy said when he first started he sold GU T-shirts on the side, as there weren't that many around. Nowadays he said when he goes into schools with his children or just to visit 75% of the kids have GU gear. Heister asked if he planned on staying and Tommy kind of said well you can never say never, as in I would never leave but my kids are all in school here and I am very happy with where I'm at. I pretty much did this off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure I got the facts right.

Zagger
02-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Watched it too - good reporting 116 :)
About the only thing I can add is that Tommy said Spokane was now home and he thought he'd be here for awhile. Heister also asked Tommy if he could call him Tom. Tommy's reply was that only his Mom calls him Tom. Greg got the message but did slip up once and called him Tom then corrected himself. It was fun. Good interview.

Zagceo
02-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Tommy's been around the block(world) Spokane and success not bad place for a family.

Zag365
02-12-2017, 07:48 PM
Coach Lloyd has made similar remarks at tip-off events for several years, i.e., never say never, but likes where program is at, has his kids in school, settled in, etc. He's also mentioned how cool it is that Sacre, Turiaf, and other former players visit/stay with him when they come to Spokane. He remarked how hard it would be to replicate the family atmosphere that has grown up around the program. So, I think it is pretty clear that he's highly unlikely to leave unless something weird were to happen to the program. Plus, he's guaranteed first rights to the head coaching job if Coach Few retires/leaves.

DixieZag
02-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Almost enough to convince me that he'd stay when the University of Washington offers him $2.25 million to resurrect their torpedo'd sub off the great abyss.

So long as he has a kid in HS or about to be, I think we're maybe safe. Still, President McCulloh and Director Roth might want to make sure he's really happy after the season.

Zag365
02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
I think the Dan Monson story is a cautionary tale that still resonates with the current staff, including Coach Lloyd.

strikenowhere
02-12-2017, 08:38 PM
I worry about him leaving the most because he developed the overseas pipeline and would take it with him wherever he went.

LongIslandZagFan
02-12-2017, 09:12 PM
I worry about him leaving the most because he developed the overseas pipeline and would take it with him wherever he went.

But note... his success in Europe is, in his words (as paraphrased by section116) was due to Gonzaga's success and rep in Europe. I wonder if there is any other program that has brought in high caliber Euros like GU does. Tommy got Sabonis because of GU's rep with Euros.

WallaWallaZag
02-12-2017, 11:35 PM
But note... his success in Europe is, in his words (as paraphrased by section116) was due to Gonzaga's success and rep in Europe. I wonder if there is any other program that has brought in high caliber Euros like GU does. Tommy got Sabonis because of GU's rep with Euros.

tommy's being modest...his personal rep is every bit the equal of GU's within euro basketball circles...

Birddog
02-13-2017, 03:47 AM
Almost enough to convince me that he'd stay when the University of Washington offers him $2.25 million to resurrect their torpedo'd sub off the great abyss.

When and if the UW moves for a change, it likely will be for a coach that has head coach experience.

jazzdelmar
02-13-2017, 04:11 AM
He's the number 2 at the number 1. Where does he go from there?

Birddog
02-13-2017, 04:48 AM

Somewhere outside of the Big 5. Not saying it's right, just saying that's how it usually goes. Hone your skills as a head coach at Montana, UNLV, Creighton, So Florida etc then make the jump. I think Randy Bennett would be more likely at UW.

JPtheBeasta
02-13-2017, 06:08 AM

Atlanta Falcons

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 06:11 AM
Atlanta Falcons

Could've used the Zag's time management skills, that's for sure.

maynard g krebs
02-13-2017, 11:22 AM

The bathroom?

Corky
02-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Tommy failed to mention that his (and my) alma mater, Whitman College, is undefeated and ranked #1 in Division III!