PDA

View Full Version : Johnathan Williams III

Zagceo
02-12-2017, 10:45 AM
What a toolbox he carries. Left hand right hand shooting 3's defending guards blocking shots.....under the radar/shadow of others.

Would like to hear the backstory on how he chose GU.

TheZagPhish
02-12-2017, 11:00 AM
He's quiet and does his job with ferocity. I love Williams and believe that he is an x-factor for us.

He brings toughness, athleticism, terrific footwork and intensity to the floor -- and we need all of that!

Zagceo
02-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Found it

. It should come as no surprise that Williams noticed the growth that guys like Kelly Olynyk (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/players/101221/kelly-olynyk) and Kyle Wiltjer (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/players/145570/kyle-wiltjer) made during their redshirt year in Spokane.
"It matters a lot to me," Williams said of the player development at Gonzaga. "Hopefully my final destination is the NBA and they do a great job of developing players that dominate in college and make it to the pros. My focus would be developing my all-around game. Working on my shooting and ball-handling and also finishing around the basket and getting stronger."

bartruff1
02-12-2017, 11:01 AM
experience

Bogozags
02-12-2017, 11:03 AM
He's quiet and does his job with ferocity. I love Williams and believe that he is an x-factor for us.

He brings toughness, athleticism, terrific footwork and intensity to the floor -- and we need all of that!

I will say when he missed the opening lay-up, I was hoping it wasn't an omen of bad things to follow...and it wasn't...Coach Few took him out earlier than normal, sat him down and when he came back in he was thoroughly focused on the "job" at hand.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-12-2017, 11:11 AM
What a toolbox he carries. Left hand right hand shooting 3's defending guards blocking shots.....under the radar/shadow of others.

Would like to hear the backstory on how he chose GU.

At this moment, Missouri's team is 7-17 which is even worse than Washington's 9-16. Is there any doubt that JWIII and NWG upgraded to a better program by leaving the power conferences?

Zagceo
02-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I will say when he missed the opening lay-up, I was hoping it wasn't an omen of bad things to follow...and it wasn't...Coach Few took him out earlier than normal, sat him down and when he came back in he was thoroughly focused on the "job" at hand.

Nice observation.....

seacatfan
02-12-2017, 11:13 AM
At this moment, Missouri's team is 7-17 which is even worse than Washington's 9-16. Is there any doubt that JWIII and NWG upgraded to a better program by leaving the power conferences?

And while not bad like the other 2, Cal is 18-7. No there is no question that the transfers all upgraded.

bballbeachbum
02-12-2017, 02:35 PM
hadn't seen this thread but just posted on the Key Moments of the Game thread about JWIII serving up the facials when Bennett dared him to hit the open jumper two differet times and Johnathan calmly stepped up and drained them both. those are such daggers!

he's a huge part of making the switching Ds work, versatile player with his own swiss army knife capabilities. reminds me of Elias with his ferocity and explosiveness, but with superior perimeter d skills

Hoopaholic
02-12-2017, 02:45 PM
hadn't seen this thread but just posted on the Key Moments of the Game thread about JWIII serving up the facials when Bennett dared him to hit the open jumper two differet times and Johnathan calmly stepped up and drained them both. those are such daggers!

he's a huge part of making the switching Ds work, versatile player with his own swiss army knife capabilities. reminds me of Elias with his ferocity and explosiveness, but with superior perimeter d skills
He is the reason we can engage in this years unique defense which is the biggest reason for our unique sucess

demian
02-12-2017, 02:50 PM
His basket on a missed free throw where he just out jumped and outmuscled two guys who were in front of him and he ripped the ball aggressively from them and went quickly right back up for a basket over them. That was one of my favorite plays in awhile. That was a play by a man amongst boys. Talk about ripping a squads heart out

jazzdelmar
02-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Hope we don't lose him, too.

Btw, I think he's won 25 of 26 opening tips.

That's an amazing stat that not one talking head has ever referenced.

No, for some inexplicable reason they think walking the length of the court 3 times with Randy Bennett is riveting television.

sittingon50
02-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Jazz, I thought an L.A. south character such as you could appreciate such charisma.

zagbeliever
02-12-2017, 04:05 PM
I love that he has fairly regularly won the opening tip. I can't remember when we have that so consistently.

jazzdelmar
02-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Jazz, I thought an L.A. south character such as you could appreciate such charisma.

I dubbed him silent assassin last night.

MontanaCoyote
02-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Hope we don't lose him, too.

Btw, I think he's won 25 of 26 opening tips.

That's an amazing stat that not one talking head has ever referenced.

That's right 25 of 26 or 96% for you statisticians out there.

No, for some inexplicable reason they think walking the length of the court 3 times with Randy Bennett is riveting television.

That's right, 25 of 26 or 96% for you stat freaks out there.

TexasZagFan
02-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Teams have been leaving J3 alone at the arc, preferring to focus on Matthews. J3 has been making them pay.

MontanaCoyote
02-12-2017, 04:44 PM

I like it. He's a real stealthy player, just kind of sneaks up on you and let's you have it. And if the left one don't get you, the right one will!

Goshzagit
02-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Our biggest difference maker, & arguably most important player to advance in the NCAA's compared to the last 18 attempts...

sittingon50
02-12-2017, 04:56 PM

I was talking about Bennett!!

:roll:

Once and Future Zag
02-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I love that he has fairly regularly won the opening tip. I can't remember when we have that so consistently.

Heytvelt, before the staff tried to bulk him up too much?

jazzdelmar
02-12-2017, 05:01 PM
I was talking about Bennett!!

:roll:

Ohhhh. Well for the record that was RB at his best. In person a very tightly would fella. Especially in the presence of an avowed Zagiac.

tyra
02-12-2017, 05:52 PM
He is the Four I've dreamed about for the team.

GoZags
02-12-2017, 05:59 PM
He is the Four I've dreamed about for the team.

A little "TMI" between your dreaming about Fours and Reborn needing to get woken up ...... not to mention whohoo/francis' dreaming in paint. I guess that's what being #1 in the nation does to a fanbase (smile)

zag67
02-12-2017, 06:05 PM
He is playing unbelievable. I think that this is so much fun to watch. Teams have to decide what to take away and then someone else comes in to take up the slack. Last night they made sure that Mathews was never open for a decent shot, but in doing so they could not help down low. They also made sure that NWG never had room, but in doing so our bigs took over and did the job.

Each team we play decides to either control the center and leave our guards open for "practice" like threes or to try and take our guards out of it so they cannot get the ball to our bigs. We are so good at all positions that we just work harder to take what they give us. The players do a super job of working hard even if they know they are going to be a decoy so that other players will be open. They are fun to watch.

Ekrub
02-12-2017, 06:06 PM
When he elevates with his hook shot, it's unstoppable. Love that shot.

CDC84
02-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Few has never had a player like JWIII before. He's like a cross between Sam Dower and Ronny Turiaf. That hook shot that he has, going either direction, cannot be blocked. Fantastic at handling switches. Even if he gets beat off the bounce, he recovers so quickly to block the shot.

zagsfanforlife
02-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Has been amazing on both ends of the court all year-- and steps up most in their biggest games. Announcers last night said he is one of the nicest kids in college basketball as well. Glad he's a Zag

Zagger
02-12-2017, 06:22 PM

Oooooo, J3SA ..... Along the vibes of R2D2, C3PO, etc. :)

MickMick
02-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Was thinking about transfers to GU in general.

2012:
Drew Barham, Gerald Coleman, Angel Nunez.

2016:
Jordan Mathews, Jonathon Williams, Nigel Williams-Goss

Evolution of a program

bballbeachbum
02-12-2017, 07:16 PM
that is some evolution

he's reminding me of Bosh

seacatfan
02-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Interesting Mick. There have certainly been several pre-2012 that worked out very well. The 2016 group is definitely a home run.

tummydoc
02-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Byron Wesley and Eric McClellan were great contributors too

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
02-13-2017, 03:41 AM
There's still #1 with a bullet. Surpassing.

Ekrub
02-13-2017, 05:14 AM
Byron Wesley and Eric McClellan were great contributors too

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Some guy named wiltjer too...

jazzdelmar
02-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Some guy named wiltjer too...

No, not him.....:)

thespywhozaggedme
02-13-2017, 05:40 AM
Despite his rather unorthodox "flick of the wrist" shooting motion, JWIII is very proficient and most phases of the game. What a great get he's been.

bigblahla
02-13-2017, 06:05 AM
There's still #1 with a bullet. Surpassing.

Jazz loves him some DD. :clap: who doesn't?

Go!! Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
02-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Jazz loves him some DD. :clap: who doesn't?

Go!! Zags!!!

Indeed....THE BEST....EVER!!!!!!

Alum08
02-13-2017, 07:34 AM
He reminds me of Gerald Wallace circa Alabama.

amaronizag
02-13-2017, 07:45 AM
Not spending much time looking at next year yet because there are too many uncertainties, but JW3 is going to be even more of a formidable force next year. Exciting. He's turning out to be everything I had hoped. With Larsen, Collins (??), JW3, Tillie, Edwards, Kispert, well, we all know the pieces, so it will be another painfully long off season of anticipation. Hopefully the glow of this years success will make the wait until the next season opener a little easier.

Hoopaholic
02-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Not spending much time looking at next year yet because there are too many uncertainties, but JW3 is going to be even more of a formidable force next year. Exciting. He's turning out to be everything I had hoped. With Larsen, Collins (??), JW3, Tillie, Edwards, Kispert, well, we all know the pieces, so it will be another painfully long off season of anticipation. Hopefully the glow of this years success will make the wait until the next season opener a little easier.

summer time like to see him work on drive and pull up 15 footer at elbow......if he develops that WOW

MDABE80
02-13-2017, 10:16 AM
JWIII is overlooked with the rankings drama, Karno, Nigel, Collins, etc. Give him another year. He's got NBA athleticism and his scoring is picking up. He's got the talent now. He'll be key next year. Rebounds, scores, he's got the height/length and he plays hard and he plays tough defense. Kid is sort of under the radar. He'll get his looks.

Reborn
02-13-2017, 10:17 AM
I was somewhat skeptical about him for awhile. I Just couldn't see what the coaches saw. And then suddenly, I think his basketball ability finally surfaced during the first St Mary's game. Suddenly he looked as good as any Power Forward in the college game. I remember how my son and I kept watching him with our tongues hanging out, asking over and over, "who IS this guy?" And I saw THAT GUY again Saturday against the same team. His talent certainly comes out when he is most needed, in the toughest of games. at times HE'S TRULY UNBELIEVABLE. But he's certainly made a believer out of me.

Go Zags!!!

whatazag
02-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Despite his rather unorthodox "flick of the wrist" shooting motion, JWIII is very proficient and most phases of the game. What a great get he's been.

I am amazed J3 shoots so well from 3 the way he shoots. Percentage is almost as high as his FT%.

jagwalkley
02-13-2017, 10:31 AM
He is playing unbelievable. I think that this is so much fun to watch. Teams have to decide what to take away and then someone else comes in to take up the slack. Last night they made sure that Mathews was never open for a decent shot, but in doing so they could not help down low. They also made sure that NWG never had room, but in doing so our bigs took over and did the job.

Each team we play decides to either control the center and leave our guards open for "practice" like threes or to try and take our guards out of it so they cannot get the ball to our bigs. We are so good at all positions that we just work harder to take what they give us. The players do a super job of working hard even if they know they are going to be a decoy so that other players will be open. They are fun to watch.

I told my wife when we went to the practice game 2 yrs. ago and saw him then,we thought he would be special.He can jump thru

the roof.He has im proved so much.He is the key.

CDC84
02-13-2017, 11:17 AM
I wish we could get JWIII's free throw shooting better. Between him and Shem, some points are being left on the floor. Fortunately this team has a group of guards that shoot very well from the foul stripe:

NWG = 88.9%
Perkins = 75.0%
Mathews = 76.5%
Melson = 86.5%

And if you need big guys on the floor...

Collins = 77.0%
Tillie = 79.3%

3zagda
02-13-2017, 11:19 AM
I am with Reborn, had heard so much here, and I felt he got called for a number of charges and fouls in the preseason. Now he is doing everything. His offense makes it so much harder to guard this team. Scoring inside, scoring from 3, great defense, great shot blocking he is truly a great asset. Now its clear why KT is coming off the bench. And if teams double Shem from down low, JWIII will destroy them.

sittingon50
02-13-2017, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=CDC84;1286301]I wish we could get JWIII's free throw shooting better.

Trending up, CDC. Not good vs BYU (4-9) & only 1-2 vs SCU but last week
LMU 7-8
SMC 2-2

77Zag
02-13-2017, 12:40 PM
We are extremely talented - but JWIII has been, IMO, the key to our strength. He has become my favorite.

Go Zags - Beat the Dons!

GoZags
02-13-2017, 12:49 PM
We are extremely talented - but JWIII has been, IMO, the key to our strength. He has become my favorite.

Go Zags - Beat the Dons!

Have to agree '77.

What I LOVE is he sought out lifelong friend (and fellow Memphis native) Drew Barham to ask about "The Gonzaga Experience" ... which is why he came here vs the "other" GU Georgetown after his stint at Mizzou. Attaboy Drew .... telling it like it is.