PDA

View Full Version : My Key Moment of the Game

TexasZagFan
02-12-2017, 06:43 AM
SMC trims it to 5, crowd goes wild, Few calls timeout.

No look of concern from any Zag player or coach.

About 30 seconds later, two miscues by SMC are converted into 5 points, capped by Silas' trey from the corner. Lead back to ten, crowd quieted.

This team isn't fazed by anything.

bballbeachbum
02-12-2017, 07:17 AM
good one. I'll go with with under 10 to play first half and the Zags early 9 point lead had been trimmed to four and Nigel had picked up his second foul and had to sit. SMC then came all the way back to tie it 23-23 and Few called timeout. Next play the Zags went to Karno inside, he missed but battled and got his own miss, finished and got fouled and made the FT. that started a 9-0 run with Nigel on the bench, the next points being a jumper from JWIII off an assist from Karno, then Karno made a baseline jumper that ultimately led to the 17-2 run that took control of the game. Karno showed his leadership and maturity with Nigel on the bench when it was needed most

TexasZagFan
02-12-2017, 07:25 AM
I hope last nights game silences the critics about Few's in-game coaching. Time outs were used effectively, to say the least.

bartruff1
02-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Critics are motivated by their own needs, you can never silence them....it is what they do...

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-12-2017, 07:57 AM
The key moment of the game was when the cameras zeroed in on the face of one very dismayed Gaels fan. Her look of pure disbelief and anguish expressed the sentiments of everyone in that building, "There is no way our team is going to win this game."

https://scontent.fsnc1-5.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/16665544_10155176303137089_8494476582660258994_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f43dfdd949420eba43e465711a832549&oe=59032E02

MontanaCoyote
02-12-2017, 09:02 AM
good one. I'll go with with under 10 to play first half and the Zags early 9 point lead had been trimmed to four and Nigel had picked up his second foul and had to sit. SMC then came all the way back to tie it 23-23 and Few called timeout. Next play the Zags went to Karno inside, he missed but battled and got his own miss, finished and got fouled and made the FT. that started a 9-0 run with Nigel on the bench, the next points being a jumper from JWIII off an assist from Karno, then Karno made a baseline jumper that ultimately led to the 17-2 run that took control of the game. Karno showed his leadership and maturity with Nigel on the bench when it was needed most

"The Presence" was there when we needed him the most.

DixieZag
02-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Few acquitted himself extremely well last night. Both times SMC made a run, the one to tie it early, and the one to cut to 5 in the second half, Few called a timeout early in the run rather than later, both times the team immediately responded with an immediate comeback run.

Impressive.

GonzaGAW
02-12-2017, 12:18 PM
I'm not skilled in cut and pasting articles, but I read somewhere last week, think it was on espn, that Gonzaga's offensive and defensive efficiency on the first possession after a time out is best in the nation.

so not surprised a couple of you point to the tide turning after and timeout.

this is also good ammo for those who still think they can coach better than the coach.

zagbeliever
02-12-2017, 12:29 PM
The key moment of the game was when the cameras zeroed in on the face of one very dismayed Gaels fan. Her look of pure disbelief and anguish expressed the sentiments of everyone in that building, "There is no way our team is going to win this game."

https://scontent.fsnc1-5.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/16665544_10155176303137089_8494476582660258994_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f43dfdd949420eba43e465711a832549&oe=59032E02

That was so funny. :)

bballbeachbum
02-12-2017, 02:28 PM
another thought on this, it's not just one moment, it's two, both involving JWIII.
Bennett and SMC twice left him unguarded on the perimeter, dared him to square up and knock it down. idk, but you can imagine during the week and prep with Bennett and staff selling the tactic to their team, you know, dare him to shoot that in our fire marshal-less barn, we don't believe he can hurt us from there, force GU to make JWIII
'settle' for the wide open jumper we'll concede so we can double team/sag the paint.
and bam, bam...he hit them both. not only does it count on the scoreboard and force SMC to change their D, but it erodes SMC players' belief from the core in their gameplan. The quiet assasin as he was dubbed on the game thread.
Johnathan Williams III was awesome last night. Awesome. Just an example of it above, those two key moments in the game

seacatfan
02-12-2017, 03:39 PM
He doesn't take a lot of 3's, but he's been knocking them down all year. Not really a great strategy to concede those to him. His .458 is currently 2nd best percentage on the team (behind Tillie at .478--did not expect that).

TexasZagFan
02-12-2017, 05:05 PM
IMO, key stat of the game: SMC 4-15 from 3PT. Their average per game on the year is approximately 8-22. Hard to sustain runs on offense, or come from behind, when you're not hitting 3's.

bballbeachbum
02-12-2017, 07:01 PM
He doesn't take a lot of 3's, but he's been knocking them down all year. Not really a great strategy to concede those to him. His .458 is currently 2nd best percentage on the team (behind Tillie at .478--did not expect that).

yeah man, and yet the wide open spaces with no closeouts. it's like zag67 said in another thread and others, such great balance on this team that if you focus on taking whatever away you get burned by whatever you left open; guys have been consitantly stepping up when it's their turn, when they've been the one with the matchup, the opening

ScrapironJim
02-12-2017, 08:01 PM

If My memory is accurate, the 17-2 run occurred with Lansdale on the court the entire time. They had him and we did not have NWG. True???

tyra
02-13-2017, 04:42 AM
It was because of JWIII's role as described by BeachBum, that I voted for him (JWIII) as GUnit. True, Shem scored at will in the first half but I believe that it was JWIII's play all game-long that was the difference maker. Jeez, this team is special.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 05:11 AM
It was because of JWIII's role as described by BeachBum, that I voted for him (JWIII) as GUnit. True, Shem scored at will in the first half but I believe that it was JWIII's play all game-long that was the difference maker. Jeez, this team is special.

They've come a long way from Nashville, haven't they? What I like is they aren't satisfied, and have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. We should act accordingly, and not allow ourselves to be overconfident. For example, we could get over-amped for Senior Night against BYU. OTOH, there will likely be too much at stake for us. I don't think Karno or Nigel will allow teammates to let down.

A bit O/T, but how can any NBA team overlook Silas to be their next 6th man? He's now got the mindset, and experience, to take that to the next level. If I were Few, I'd keep him in that role next year. Silas is going to get his 30+ minutes regardless, whether he starts or not.