PDA

View Full Version : NBA scout baffled by only 17 minutes from Collins

Section 116
02-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Love this lead in to ESPN game coverage: MORAGA, Calif. -- Deep in the rolling hills of Northern California on Saturday night, an NBA scout for a franchise desperate to add a superb rookie to next season's roster craned his neck and squinted at the game notes.

He seemed baffled by Zach Collins, the freshman whose talent brought him to Moraga, California. Why did he only play 17.3 minutes per game entering No. 1 Gonzaga's 74-64 win over No. 20 Saint Mary's?

Huh?

When Collins scored on back-to-back baby hooks for the Bulldogs once he entered the game early in the first half, the same NBA scout peered at the McKeon Pavilion court and shook his head.

An NBA prospect on the No. 1 team in America comes off the bench. Why? Because he can.

Link: http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117678/gonzaga-proves-its-depth-is-its-greatest-weapon

ZagMan in Philly
02-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Please don't steal him just yet.

23dpg
Collins wasn't at his best tonight. But the main reason is depth. This team has 4 bigs who will make good money playing basketball someday.

DixieZag
Did he see Shem and Williams play, or was his focus so dialed in he could only see Collins?

I get the bewilderment in some sense, but not tonight.

Zag4Hire
02-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Perhaps Jazz is the only one soaking this one up but can't blame the NYK scout for being a bit ornery.

CDC84
02-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Why did he only play 17.3 minutes per game entering No. 1 Gonzaga's 74-64 win over No. 20 Saint Mary's?

Because it only takes 17.3 minutes for him to foul out. Zach has got to learn to stop committing cheap fouls or he won't last in the NBA.....or as long as Gonzaga needs him to last on the college level.

jpn17
02-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Collins is talented no doubt and has had some very good games this year. He's also a freshman and has had a couple stinkers. If Collins was outplaying Karnowski he'd have more minutes. But he isn't so he doesn't. I'd think an NBA scout would be able to figure this stuff out.

CDC84
02-11-2017, 07:16 PM
26-0. I think will trust the GU coaching staff instead of the NBA scout.

seacatfan
02-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Did he see Shem and Williams play, or was his focus so dialed in he could only see Collins?

Exactly. Shem scored 10 on 5-5 shooting in the first 4 minutes of the game.

BayAreaZagFan
02-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Because it only takes 17.3 minutes for him to foul out. Zach has got to learn to stop committing cheap fouls or he won't last in the NBA.....or as long as Gonzaga needs him to last on the college level.

In my opinion, the main reason why he needs to stay one more year. Learn to play quality minutes without committing silly fouls. One more year in college will no doubt help with that.

JPtheBeasta
02-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Collins may be the better NBA prospect, but Karno is the better college player right now. We wouldn't be where we are if Collins was the starter and Special K was not here.

bartruff1
02-11-2017, 07:34 PM
Collins didn't look like a first round pick in the two Conference games that mattered most....at BYU and at St Mary's...and against Mika or Jack...

MontanaCoyote
02-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Exactly! This is why on the ZAG thread I agreed with those who posted that Karno would the worst injury that could happen to the Zag's, not to minimize any injuries to any other players. But with Karno out, Collins starts and is in foul trouble real quick. He will learn but for now, Karno is the key.

Zagceo
02-11-2017, 07:39 PM
reminder....Przemek had 5 fouls in 19min at home against Santa Clara.....just saying

Section 116
02-11-2017, 07:40 PM
No disagreement from me on Collins readiness for the NBA and Karnowski is clearly the superior center but this is the line I like:

An NBA prospect on the No. 1 team in America comes off the bench. Why? Because he can.

Zagceo
02-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Collins may be the better NBA prospect, but Karno is the better college player right now. We wouldn't be where we are if Collins was the starter and Special K was not here.

fair statement.....PK is 5th year and Zach is 18

JPtheBeasta
02-11-2017, 07:41 PM
reminder....Przemek had 5 fouls in 19min at home against Santa Clara.....just saying

An anomaly. You would agree that Collins is usually more foul prone, no?

Zagceo
02-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Yes Zach gets more fouls.....but not like Tillie.....Few has called Tillie out for silly fouls.....never heard Few call out Zach for silly fouls.

23dpg
02-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Zach has committed 8 more fouls in 124 less minutes than Karno. So that is a fact.

Zagceo
02-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Zach has committed 8 more fouls in 124 less minutes than Karno. So that is a fact.

Zack also has 37 blocks to PK 22 in 124 less min played

Zagsker
02-11-2017, 07:59 PM

The point of the article was about the nasty depth we have on the bench...not a criticism of how it's used

sittingon50
02-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Personally I could care less what this NBA scout thinks. Watch some film & go eff yourself.

Hoopaholic
02-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Personally I could care less what this NBA scout thinks. Watch some film & go eff yourself.

Perfect

Haven't seen an NBA game in like 10 years. College hoops is where it's at in my book

Section 116
02-11-2017, 08:14 PM
I agree with Zagsker here, and Hoopaholic. I can't recall the last NBA game I watched.

Zagsker
02-11-2017, 08:15 PM

Huh?

Did you really take the scouts observation as a criticism?

sittingon50
02-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Huh?

Did you really take the scouts observation as a criticism?

Yes. Didn't you?

DixieZag
02-11-2017, 08:30 PM
The point of the article was about the nasty depth we have on the bench...not a criticism of how it's used

You're after me tonight. Ok, I thought, and so did many others, that he was "bewildered" that Zach "only" played 17 minutes tonight. Bewildered can mean that he didn't understand how that could be true. Indeed I read he asked "why" Shem only played 17 minutes. If he can't understand why, apparently he didn't watch Shem and Williams.

Again, I said I can see some nights when Collins hasn't gotten enough minutes. Tonight was definitely not one of them.

Ekrub
02-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Feel like a lot of people trying to justify why collins should stay. Don't get your hopes up. He gone.

ScrapironJim
02-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Collins and Tillie both remind me of Domas when he was a freshman. Tons of energy and ability and most fouls were due to inexperience and trying to hard. They will both be better next year.

Coach Crazy
02-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Collins and Tillie both remind me of Domas when he was a freshman. Tons of energy and ability and most fouls were due to inexperience and trying to hard. They will both be better next year.

How do they remind you of Domantas? They are different players. And everyone needs to adjust to the reality that NBA scouts are looking at multiple factors. When you have a kid that is putting up an ORtg of 130, a DRtg of 80, a PER OF 33, a WS/40 of .327 and a BPM of 11.6....Scouts are watching. And someone is going to draft that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDABE80
02-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Welcome Scrapiron. Don't be dismayed by the alphabets multiple characters Coach throws around. When it comes to players, you see what you see. Zach's got a good future if he returns or leaves. Just different outcomes. AA next year with lots of upside if he stays. If he goes, he'll be a pro with a nice salary and probably short on development time. He can do the latter anytime.

If he's looking for development, he stays, If he's looking for a paycheck, he should go. Sadly it's a bigger paycheck he'd get if he waited another year. Just my opinion though.
He's no Domas. Different skills and surely a different motor at least from what we can see this year his first. Not yet anyway. Maybe with a second year which is when Domas blew up even though we knew he was plenty good his first year.
Love the kid either way. Another year of experience with the basics always helps.

I really hate to think of a kid as a commodity when he's an 18 yr old boy. Cheapens things for me but that's just me. Lots to be gained outside of basketball at Gonzaga.

gonzagafan62
02-11-2017, 11:54 PM
Perfect

Haven't seen an NBA game in like 10 years. College hoops is where it's at in my book

Yup