PDA

View Full Version : Once again Jay Bilas: Gonzaga is NOT a mid major

CDC84
02-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Jay Bilas has been to GU and has been around Few enough times to know better. Gonzaga doesn't lack the resources ANYMORE that power-5 conference schools do:

All Jay needs to do is go here:

http://www.pointafter.com/

He will find that last season, GU spent more money on its men's basketball program than every Pac 12 program besides ASU, Arizona, and UCLA. They turned a higher profit than UCLA.

If you go to the SEC, the Big 10, it's all the same.

This is a high major program operating in a mid major league. There's a McDonald's AA center coming off the bench for gosh sakes!

Nobody is saying that Gonzaga is North Carolina, Duke and Kansas. But the majority of BCS programs are not like these blue bloods when it comes to basketball.

Zag4Hire
02-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Just get to FF or win the whole thing and it won't matter.

23dpg
02-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Semantics. Honestly not bothered by it.

DixieZag
02-11-2017, 07:21 PM
I thought he was mostly talking conference, maybe I remember it wrong.

OTOH, he has given us huge love this year, talked about surprise we're 4th in seeds, so hard to complain in some ways.

bartruff1
02-11-2017, 07:23 PM
I get a kick out of it....it is a compliment...

CDC84
02-11-2017, 07:24 PM
It's not semantics - he flat out said that GU doesn't have the resources that power-5 men's basketball teams do. The only thing he said is that GU spends more than other WCC teams do. Like duh?

Few says they will still say that Gonzaga needs to get to two final fours, or win the national title. It will never be enough for the naysayers.

And it will not change Jay's viewpoint. GU will still be a mid major. Just a mid major that reached the final 4....even if he's factually incorrect.

The info is all there. But he chooses to ignore.

zagsfanforlife
02-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Jay is one of our biggest supporters this year. Not gunna be mad at him about this.

BayAreaZagFan
02-11-2017, 07:27 PM
I don't really mind the Zags being referred to as a mid-major program. It gives me more ammunition when I'm dealing with my condescending, Pac-12 supporting friends. Being called a mid-major probably only because we're not in a P5 conference isn't necessarily a bad thing.

btzag
02-11-2017, 07:29 PM
I thought he was mostly talking conference, maybe I remember it wrong.

OTOH, he has given us huge love this year, talked about surprise we're 4th in seeds, so hard to complain in some ways.

Exactly he is talking about the fact that the zags are a member of a mid-major conference. This is a fact period.

Yet despite this fact we play head to head with the blue bloods. Talent-wise and comparing results.

Zagsker
02-11-2017, 07:33 PM
The one thing, as a Gonzaga fan, that irritates me the most of said fan base is the pissin and moaning that a segment of the fan base does about ANY media coverage or comment that is not-lees-than GLOWING about GU

We ARE a mid major conference wise..."resources" extend beyond one schools athletic budget....our conference "resource win capabilities" is small right now

DixieZag
It's not semantics - he flat out said that GU doesn't have the resources that power-5 men's basketball teams do. The only thing he said is that GU spends more than other WCC teams do. Like duh?

Few says they will still say that Gonzaga needs to get to two final fours, or win the national title. It will never be enough for the naysayers.

And it will not change Jay's viewpoint. GU will still be a mid major. Just a mid major that reached the final 4....even if he's factually incorrect.

The info is all there. But he chooses to ignore.

I get it, as I said, I'd retort that he's as big a cheerleader as we've got this year.

But, let me ask this, are we sure that we spend as much as the very top? Kansas, UNC, Duke? Maybe we do, I'm asking. We spend enough that it's not an issue, but are we sure that we're not under those way at the top?

Ezag
It's not fair. We spend the most in the WCC, get the best players, then proceed to kick the ass of the WCC for twenty years running :boxing:

CDC84
02-11-2017, 07:36 PM
As Eisenberg says, mislabeling Gonzaga as a MM only leads to (sometimes) really good mid major coaches getting fired:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/west-coast-bias-why-the-wcc-has-become-a-career-killer-for-coaches-205029165.html

That's the real problem.

zagsfanforlife
02-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Well Bill Walton just said AZ is clearly better than Gonzaga..

All Weather Fan
02-11-2017, 07:43 PM
By definition, if not a member of a Power 5 conference, you are a mid major. Not sure why that term is offensive to some. Actually, with Zags level of play the past 18 years it seems a compliment.

btzag
02-11-2017, 07:46 PM
I get it, as I said, I'd retort that he's as big a cheerleader as we've got this year.

But, let me ask this, are we sure that we spend as much as the very top? Kansas, UNC, Duke? Maybe we do, I'm asking. We spend enough that it's not an issue, but are we sure that we're not under those way at the top?

Dixie - Why does spending matter?? If a Pac12 program spends more than us does that make them more major than us? When a MLB team wins it all yet does not spend close to the Yankees or dodgers does that matter?

Facts:
- we play in a mid major conference
- we spend like a high major program
- we have on court results like a 'blue blood'

Zagceo
02-11-2017, 07:47 PM

clearly .......clearly......should never be used by that nut

Zagsker
02-11-2017, 07:48 PM
As Eisenberg says, mislabeling Gonzaga as a MM only leads to (sometimes) really good mid major coaches getting fired:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/west-coast-bias-why-the-wcc-has-become-a-career-killer-for-coaches-205029165.html

That's the real problem.

I would like to know the coaching turnover in BIG 5 conferences in the same time frame

Gonzaga label as a "Mid Major" has little to nothing to do with coaching turnover....GU'S winning, regular season and post season, is why.

DixieZag
02-11-2017, 07:48 PM

Lemme check this ...

That's the team that got beat by 82 points at Oregon, right?

That's the team that lost control of their bowel at the end of the UCLA game, right?

And, oh, that's that team we beat, right? And not by 1, right?

DixieZag
02-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Dixie - Why does spending matter?? If a Pac12 program spends more than us does that make them more major than us? When a MLB team wins it all yet does not spend close to the Yankees or dodgers does that matter?

Facts:

It doesn't to me. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was only asking CDC b/c he said we spend as much as everyone.

No, I had said that I thought Bilas was our biggest cheerleader this year and not offensive to me.

Sorry.

Zagsker
02-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Being outraged about GU being labeled a Mid-Major is like being outraged that your pizza came with too much meat ...and cheese

willandi
02-11-2017, 08:00 PM
It's because the B 12 is withholding 10 Mil of the 25 MIL due them by the Big 12. If the Zags, and the WCC got 25 MlL EVERY YEAR, what would the WCC look like?

thespywhozaggedme
02-11-2017, 08:02 PM
We are a major program in a mid major conference.

btzag
02-11-2017, 08:02 PM
It doesn't to me. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was only asking CDC b/c he said we spend as much as everyone.

No, I had said that I thought Bilas was our biggest cheerleader this year and not offensive to me.

Sorry.

No that was my fault, my point on spending was more directed at espn comments and not yours.

Zagsker
02-11-2017, 08:05 PM
No that was my fault, my point on spending was more directed at espn comments and not yours.

I am flabbergasted....are you saying that your Web based typed comment was not properly received for context!?!?

Lol

seacatfan
02-11-2017, 08:43 PM

Well Bill Walton is a flaming moron so I wouldn't worry about his opinion too much.

seacatfan
02-11-2017, 08:47 PM
The one thing, as a Gonzaga fan, that irritates me the most of said fan base is the pissin and moaning that a segment of the fan base does about ANY media coverage or comment that is not-lees-than GLOWING about GU

I totally agree with you and the whining and moaning is reaching deafening levels this year. It's like some can't rest until they find something to be outraged about, and they manage to find something on a pretty much daily basis.

DixieZag
02-11-2017, 08:54 PM
I totally agree with you and the whining and moaning is reaching deafening levels this year. It's like some can't rest until they find something to be outraged about, and they manage to find something on a pretty much daily basis.

To be fair, A) I'm not outraged, it's Walton, B) hearing that your team is not as good as what is maybe the 3rd best team in the Pac, one that has gotten beat pretty bad lately, and one you've beaten is quite ridiculous.

seacatfan
02-11-2017, 08:58 PM
It is ridiculous, but Walton has no idea what he's talking about or even what planet he's on half the time. How can anybody take anything that comes out of Walton's mouth seriously?

DixieZag
02-11-2017, 08:59 PM
It is ridiculous, but Walton has no idea what he's talking about or even what planet he's on half the time. How can anybody take anything that comes out of Walton's mouth seriously?

True.

Doesn't mean we don't get to mock him, which is pretty well all I was doing.

maynard g krebs
02-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Well Bill Walton is a flaming moron so I wouldn't worry about his opinion too much.

Actually he was an academic AA at UCLA, I believe w/ a 4 pt grade average, and I believe he holds a law degree from Stanford. So moron might be a bit strong. But as much as I like him, he's not averse to spewing some gibberish from time to time (time to time described as every few minutes in his case.)

I really think he knows better, and is just being a prankster with comments like that. But who knows.

Tonight I think he took the last of the brown acid he had left over from Woodstock.

WBM
02-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Jay is one of our biggest supporters this year. Not gunna be mad at him about this.

Yep. Bilas gives respect to our team, our coach, our facilities, and our individual players on a pretty consistent basis. As defined by our conference, we are a mid-major conference team. In that respect, it really is just semantics.

I imagine if we do go to the FF or win the championship, the headlines will almost certainly include the term "mid-major."

MDABE80
02-12-2017, 02:17 AM
"and I believe he holds a law degree from Stanford. So moron might be a bit strong. But as much as I like him, he's not averse to spewing some gibberish from time to time (time to time described as every "

Walton began Law School but dropped out.

GrizZAG
02-12-2017, 05:12 AM
As a frame of reference to "Waltonisms" He said: “Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

Speaking of grains of salt when he opens his mouth...

billyberu
02-12-2017, 05:35 AM
This +1

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bartruff1
02-12-2017, 05:55 AM
I think it is a hoot that BYU is a Mid Major...

maynard g krebs
02-12-2017, 09:57 AM
"and I believe he holds a law degree from Stanford. So moron might be a bit strong. But as much as I like him, he's not averse to spewing some gibberish from time to time (time to time described as every "

Walton began Law School but dropped out.

Thanks for the correction.

seacatfan
02-12-2017, 11:09 AM
Walton may have a very solid educational background, and he's obviously an avid reader as he spends half of the broadcast doing book recommendations, and yes he's been around the game of basketball for forever and knows a lot of the history of the game, but he is a fool. He spews hyperbole and completely inane babble constantly. He's often verbally combative with his broadcast partner. It's gotten to a point where I CANNOT listen to him during a broadcast. It's unbearable. He is absolutely the worst. I would gladly listen to Dickie V. before Walton. He's also a massive Pac 12 homer, so there's that to consider as well in terms of his opinion about GU vs. Arizona.

sittingon50
02-12-2017, 11:18 AM
So hit the mute button & maintain an acceptable blood pressure.

I don't ALWAYS like what he's doing, but I usually do. Find him entertaining. To each his own.

Bogozags
02-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Hey, is this a good time to bring up that the WCC sucks and we should move to the Big East thread or am I too early in this thread to do so?

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 05:22 AM

That's the real problem.

Zags may be one of the big reasons Romar gets fired, too.

I was a bit gratified to hear Bilas bring up the point about the difference in resources between the Zags and Power 5 conferences. I've seen it posted where we now spend as much on our basketball program as most Pac-12 programs, but that's only a recent development. We've had only one top-25 recruiting class, though our transfers have been stellar, as well as the international talent we've brought in.

Would we be any better if an additional $5-$10 million was flowing into the coffers, year in and year out? OTOH, I like where we're at now, both philosophically and reputation.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Hey, is this a good time to bring up that the WCC sucks and we should move to the Big East thread or am I too early in this thread to do so?

You're too late, Bogo. That ship sailed when the committee put us in the 4th #1 seed.

Where is our great WCC commissioner? She should be out there in public, praising the rise of USF and SCU, how they're making it a more competitive conference. That may be premature, however, as the schedule makers have USF playing their last four games on the road.

If the WCC office wanted to make life really difficult for the Zags, they should have front loaded our home games. Instead, we've passed that test, and now have 3 of our last 4 games at home. They did the best they could, though...sandwiching BYU and SMC around the thugball played at LMU.

Virtually lost in the reporting on the game last Saturday night was how we played without Nigel and Shem on the court for big stretches during the first half. There was no panic, no let down, it was "next man up." I couldn't stop marveling at how hard the Zags play on defense. The way they move their feet...even Shem. If I was a middle school or high school coach, I'd show my teams video of that game, just for the defensive effort they put on display.

Ezag
02-13-2017, 09:18 AM

WCC does suck but how come the Big East is so good and The Big West blows?

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 09:22 AM
WCC does suck but how come the Big East is so good and The Big West blows?

East Coast bias?

Ezag
02-13-2017, 09:28 AM
East Coast bias?

I mainly meant the teams in it :vomit-smiley-007:

zagdontzig
02-13-2017, 09:38 AM
I think by definition, we are a mid major, and that won't change unless we go to a power 5 conference. I'm not saying we're not better than P5 teams, just that the definition of mid major is a team that is not a P5 team. I also don't think Bilas uses the term in a derogatory way. He's been a pretty staunch advocate of the Zags being the real deal, similar to Greenberg in the past.

As to the Bill Walton side-narrative, I agree with everyone, he's made PAC12 basketball completely unwatchable and needs to go.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Good thing I haven't erased Saturday's game from the DVR. Jay said something to the effect of: the Zags program over the last 18 years is significant in the history of college basketball. Wow...

seacatfan
02-13-2017, 10:39 AM
We've had only one top-25 recruiting class, though our transfers have been stellar, as well as the international talent we've brought in.

I've seen that said a few times, but I have a hard time believing it. I'm assuming this most recent class is the one ranked in the top 25, but I thought for sure Daye/Gray/Sacre made some top 25 lists as well.

If true, I think it accentuates that bringing in foreign players throws recruiting rankings totally out of whack.

Retroactively I think you'd have a hard time finding anybody that wouldn't rank Pangos/Bell/Dranginis/Spangler or Sabonis/Perkins/Melson/Alberts as top 25 classes.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 11:19 AM
I've seen that said a few times, but I have a hard time believing it. I'm assuming this most recent class is the one ranked in the top 25, but I thought for sure Daye/Gray/Sacre made some top 25 lists as well.

If true, I think it accentuates that bringing in foreign players throws recruiting rankings totally out of whack.

Retroactively I think you'd have a hard time finding anybody that wouldn't rank Pangos/Bell/Dranginis/Spangler or Sabonis/Perkins/Melson/Alberts as top 25 classes.

You may be right on Daye/Sacre/Gray. I haven't delved that deeply into prior years' rankings, just for those years in ESPN's rankings. Still, it makes you wonder. For example, Shaka Smart's a good coach, but he's having trouble getting traction in Austin, even with top 15 recruiting classes. Could be that his favored style of play doesn't work against most of the Big 12 schools, certainly those of Kansas with their Burger Boys.

rennis
02-13-2017, 11:26 AM
It's because the B 12 is withholding 10 Mil of the 25 MIL due them by the Big 12. If the Zags, and the WCC got 25 MlL EVERY YEAR, what would the WCC look like?

Wait. What?

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Zags may be one of the big reasons Romar gets fired, too.

With his contract and bringing in the No 3 recruiting class in the nation next year......unlikely IMO.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 11:41 AM
With his contract and bringing in the No 3 recruiting class in the nation next year......unlikely IMO.

Excellent news...for us! :lmao:

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Excellent news...for us! :lmao:

Exactly

MDABE80
02-13-2017, 12:22 PM
So we beat em again despite a big influx of diaper dandies. Never seems to matter.

TexasZagFan
02-13-2017, 12:25 PM
So we beat em again despite a big influx of diaper dandies. Never seems to matter.

Next year's game is in Seattle, might have an impact. In their estimation, the only road games we play are in WCC bandboxes.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Facts:

That is simply not true. Blue bloods have Final Fours and Championships.

I'm a homer as well, but come on...

maynard g krebs
02-13-2017, 12:38 PM

I went to the Metro League semis last week at UW. I'd seen Michael Porter Jr on tv a couple of times, but in person, wow. An effortless 42 pts against a West Seattle team with a pg that has signed with Seattle U, and 6'8, 6'9, and 6'6 kids on the front line, two of which will probably play some level of D1 and the other maybe some place like Seattle Pacific.

I saw Kevin Love a number of times live in HS, and he was the best hs player I've seen in person until now. Porter is better, and by a significant margin. Dominates the boards, and handles the ball and shoots from anywhere. Every bit as good as Durant in college. Hale really only has three high major players, the two Porters and guard PJ Fuller, and are #1 in the nation ahead of the Findlays and Oak Hills, which are entire D1 teams.

In the nightcap, Garfield came back to top Rainier Beach after facing a 9 pt deficit in the third due to the defensive ferocity of Jaylen Nowell, who just doesn't want to lose. I think that kid, a super athletic 6'5 guard with a high motor, gives them a defensive identity, and attitude that will rub off on others. Daejon Davis is more talented offensively than Nowell, and they play well off each other.

Romar isn't any worse than when he had Roy/Robinson/Pondexter/Thomas type players. He can't get this year's group to buy in, and Fultz is one of the laziest defenders I've ever seen with that kind of talent; that's rubbing off on the others this year. Thybulle is about the only one who wants to defend, and can't do it alone.

I was wrong about them this year, but next could be a different story. At least there's no way they fire Romar now, between this group and his buyout, because it's a football school.

And I'd bet they are middle of the pack, maybe as high as 5th next year, which buys Romar another year w/ Jontay Porter coming in. One can hope, at least. UW is a sleeping giant with the Seattle talent base.

Zagceo
02-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Thanks Maynard

Nice report

Zagsker
02-13-2017, 02:42 PM
That is simply not true. Blue bloods have Final Fours and Championships.

I'm a homer as well, but come on...

This is true...we are a high level power 5 team....NOT a "blue blood"....yet

seacatfan
02-13-2017, 03:52 PM
This is true...we are a high level power 5 team....NOT a "blue blood"....yet

This goes around and around. To me being a blue blood is VERY exclusive and if you aren't one already, you're never going to be one. Some REALLY good programs aren't blue bloods in my mind. I wouldn't count Louisville, UConn, Michigan St. or Arizona among the blue bloods and there's quite a few Final 4's and multiple National Championships among that group.

It's pretty much North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and UCLA still living off the Wooden era mystique. I think at this point Indiana has been kicked out of the club. If Gonzaga goes on a 30 or 40 year run of multiple Final 4's/National Championships each decade, then maybe they can be considered for an upgrade status to blue blood. But considering the schools I listed above don't make the cut and GU has yet to make a single Final 4...well let's just say I don't think they'll ever be a blue blood. And there's nothing wrong with that.

MontanaCoyote
02-13-2017, 04:40 PM
This goes around and around. To me being a blue blood is VERY exclusive and if you aren't one already, you're never going to be one. Some REALLY good programs aren't blue bloods in my mind. I wouldn't count Louisville, UConn, Michigan St. or Arizona among the blue bloods and there's quite a few Final 4's and multiple National Championships among that group.

It's pretty much North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and UCLA still living off the Wooden era mystique. I think at this point Indiana has been kicked out of the club. If Gonzaga goes on a 30 or 40 year run of multiple Final 4's/National Championships each decade, then maybe they can be considered for an upgrade status to blue blood. But considering the schools I listed above don't make the cut and GU has yet to make a single Final 4...well let's just say I don't think they'll ever be a blue blood. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Well, we bleed blue blood! Good enough for me.

23dpg
02-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Well, we bleed blue blood! Good enough for me.

You might want to get your lungs checked.

seacatfan
02-13-2017, 04:53 PM
'Nova and Syracuse are a couple more fairly storied programs that don't make my blue blood list.

Zagsker
02-13-2017, 05:37 PM
'Nova and Syracuse are a couple more fairly storied programs that don't make my blue blood list.

Off the cuff my BB are Duke, NC, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, Syracuse, Michigan St, Kentucky.

Feel Iam missing a few..lol

seacatfan
02-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Off the cuff my BB are Duke, NC, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA, Syracuse, Michigan St, Kentucky.

Feel Iam missing a few..lol

I think you'd have to include Louisville if you have Arizona, Michigan St. and Syracuse in
UConn is a tough call. 4 Championships, but a fairly limited time frame of being a powerhouse.

MileHigh
02-14-2017, 06:27 AM
In a non sports context, "blue blood" is synonymous with old money. Bill gates and Mark Cuban would not be considered blue bloods, despite their wealth, while Duponts, and Vanderbilts would. With that as the yardstick, I would say the college blue bloods are teams that have been in the national conversation as a a top 10 team consistently over at least three generations, have made multiple final fours, played in multiple national championships games, and have a rabid fan base that sells out huge arenas every year despite how good or bad the team may be, with the unavoidable downward blip on occasion.
The teams I would put in that category are UNC, KU, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan State, Syracuse.

left off Zona because their success is confined to the last 20 years or so. Left off UCLA because they had a long stretch where they were bad and couldn't even fill their arena consistantly

Zagsker
02-14-2017, 06:35 AM
In a non sports context, "blue blood" is synonymous with old money. Bill gates and Mark Cuban would not be considered blue bloods, despite their wealth, while Duponts, and Vanderbilts would. With that as the yardstick, I would say the college blue bloods are teams that have been in the national conversation as a a top 10 team consistently over at least three generations, have made multiple final fours and won multiple national championships, and have a rabid fan base that sells out huge arenas every year despite how good or bad the team may be, with the unavoidable downward blip on occasion.
The teams I would put in that category are UNC, KU, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan State, Syracuse.

left off Zona because their success is confined to the last 20 years or so. Left off UCLA because they had a long stretch where they were bad and couldn't even fill their arena consistantly

I agree with your list, although I would add UCLA...Zona, you raise a good point

MileHigh
02-14-2017, 06:57 AM
UCLA was definitely the closest to making my list. But the ineptitude during the Walt Hazard era and how it exposed the fickleness of the Westwood fan base makes them an outlier for me. Even now, with a top ten team, they have trouble selling out their arena

Birddog
02-14-2017, 07:05 AM
Here is an archived discussion of the "Blue Blood" issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/2t1uer/what_is_a_blueblood_college_basketball_program/

The historical hierarchy of college basketball.
Teams: Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA
Since 1965 (last 50 years) there have only been four Final Fours that did not include one of those six teams; 2013, 1985, 1983, 1979. That is a crazy statistic.

Kiddwell
02-14-2017, 08:15 AM
First, the child Bill Walton once fell from his great height, hit a brick w/his head, and broke it (the brick, I mean). Second, he's goofy, but he's the only dad I got, so take it easy. (If you're reading this, Flower-Power Boogey Daddy, whatta Christmas present! A tie-dye t-shirt! I wore it to church!)

:o

:]

seacatfan
02-14-2017, 10:54 AM
left off Zona because their success is confined to the last 20 years or so

While I leave Arizona out of the blue blood list myself, I'd say you need to expand that to more like 30 years. Lute's teams were exceptional in the late 80's. Their last Final 4 was '01, but they've had 5 Elite 8's since then and almost every one of those ended up being a one possession game, so they easily could've had another 3 or 4 Final 4's.

Zagceo
02-14-2017, 01:26 PM
Dukes first championship was 1991.... while successful program.....blueblood to me is old money/success.