PDA

View Full Version : Silas Melson has arrived

zag buddy
02-10-2017, 06:04 PM
I have been a very vocal critic for the last 2 1/2 years on Silas's shortcomings. I have so much admiration for him since I believe he has corrected all my criticism and then some. He came in with a ton of potential and very high expectations. He takes excellent shots now and makes a good percentage of them. He has become a TEAM player to be proud of. His defensive skills are at the highest level. Unbelievable that he comes off the bench. He probably could start on any team he played for not named GU. His attitude seems great, he does not focus on his last play. He is an invaluable asset and his play may get him to the next level (NBA). The amount of work he has endured both mentally and physically is prodigious. Way to go Silas, I'm a believer in Silas Melson.

zag67
02-10-2017, 06:29 PM
zag buddy I agree 100 percent. He is working on all parts of the game. He is great sixth man. Remember Havlechek(?) for Boston was one of the greatest guards and he was sixth man for years.

tyra
02-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Agree entirely and moreover, I would suggest that the most important players on our team are the three primary "subs" -- Collins, Tillie, and Melson. Without their high level of talent and buy in, we would hpjust be another team "likely" to win the WCC (but not certain) and go to the Tourney only to be eliminated fairly soon. Those three are why we are ranked Number One.

MDABE80
02-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Slow to come around but this is a high end athlete. Quietly he's become a great player. More so on dfense. I hope he gets his due before this next year. Silas would be starting on any other team besides this number 1 team we have. He may yet.

seacatfan
02-10-2017, 08:33 PM
I would suggest that the most important players on our team are the three primary "subs" -- Collins, Tillie, and Melson

I have to strongly disagree. Yes they are critical to the team's success, but the most important player on the team is Williams-Goss and the next most important is probably Karnowski.

bigblahla
02-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Yep you're both right ;) great thread...Silas has vastly improved his ball handling....TEAM camaraderie is off the charts....not a better TEAM in the country and I'm not talking about the rankings....Silas has grown up on and off the court....love his game...

Go!! Zags!!!

Ekrub
02-10-2017, 09:14 PM
He was pretty good then end of last year too. Weird career arc at gonzaga with the first year semi-redshirting. Think it would have been best had he sat that one out, but we needed him. Ferocious defender, streaky with the offense, but he has learned when it's not there and doesn't make mistakes like he used to. A real luxury to have coming off the bench.

cggonzaga
02-10-2017, 11:09 PM
He was pretty good then end of last year too. Weird career arc at gonzaga with the first year semi-redshirting. Think it would have been best had he sat that one out, but we needed him. Ferocious defender, streaky with the offense, but he has learned when it's not there and doesn't make mistakes like he used to. A real luxury to have coming off the bench.

Maybe you're referring to his streaky offense over his first two years but he has not been streaky this year. He's shot over 50% from two point range all year and while he started out slowly shooting the three, he's got that percentage all the way up to 39%. Silas has been as about consistent as anyone on the team this year. Much like I preached before the season, it just takes some guys a little longer to get acclimated. Too many people give up on kids when they aren't stars out of the gate.

Coach Crazy
02-11-2017, 04:10 AM
Maybe you're referring to his streaky offense over his first two years but he has not been streaky this year. He's shot over 50% from two point range all year and while he started out slowly shooting the three, he's got that percentage all the way up to 39%. Silas has been as about consistent as anyone on the team this year. Much like I preached before the season, it just takes some guys a little longer to get acclimated. Too many people give up on kids when they aren't stars out of the gate.

Silas's situation was just handled all wrong, and there is a chance he doesn't get the same minutes of ZN is healthy to start the season, or soon thereafter. And had BA ever developed into a solid role player, that would have made things even harder.

Silas had to just about completely change his identity, as a player. He took advantage of some rolls his way, and now he is on track to be a glue guy that has had he same kind of impact, in totality, as a Byron Wesley. He deserves credit for that turnaround and fighting against the odds and us naysayers.

*Having said that*...with the direction this program is going, kids just aren't going to get the same amount of time and opportunity to develop, on the court. Now, if they avoid handling the pre-Zag career hype that got Silas in this trouble in the first place, then that at least helps future potential from having an extra hurdle to overcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gu03alum
02-11-2017, 05:49 AM
Did he take a separate plane?

Zagdawg
02-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Agree -- he has done a great job and developed into a great team player-- taking on the toughest defensive assignments.

cggonzaga
02-11-2017, 06:58 AM
Silas's situation was just handled all wrong, and there is a chance he doesn't get the same minutes of ZN is healthy to start the season, or soon thereafter. And had BA ever developed into a solid role player, that would have made things even harder.

Silas had to just about completely change his identity, as a player. He took advantage of some rolls his way, and now he is on track to be a glue guy that has had he same kind of impact, in totality, as a Byron Wesley. He deserves credit for that turnaround and fighting against the odds and us naysayers.

*Having said that*...with the direction this program is going, kids just aren't going to get the same amount of time and opportunity to develop, on the court. Now, if they avoid handling the pre-Zag career hype that got Silas in this trouble in the first place, then that at least helps future potential from having an extra hurdle to overcome.

Still can't admit when you're wrong huh?

bballbeachbum
02-11-2017, 07:36 AM
love watching Silas play. tough player...tough. he enters the game and gets the toughest assignment defensively, no plays are run for him ever, he never pouts about it. my kind of player to the core

Mantua
02-11-2017, 07:51 AM
In the beginning Silas seemed intimidated by the college stage. He's always had great potential due to his athleticism and his energy level. His defense is a key to our success. I was never a doubter.

zaguarxj
02-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Melson has been playing well all season. His improving 3pt shooting % is great but I'd like to see more of those super-athletic finishes at the rim.

Zagger
02-11-2017, 12:08 PM
I so can't wait for what Silas brings to Moraga - tonight ......... Silas Army knife dismantles Moraga! :)

Coach Crazy
02-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Still can't admit when you're wrong huh?

Did you read my post? Genuine question. Please read my whole post, if you haven't. If the last sentence in the second paragraph is too vague, I'll try to be a little more effective in my communication.

MontanaCoyote
02-11-2017, 06:37 PM
I so can't wait for what Silas brings to Moraga - tonight ......... Silas Army knife dismantles Moraga! :)

Pretty much what happened. Perks had an off night, Silas filled the void. Good on him!

ZagMan in Philly
02-11-2017, 06:38 PM
His free throws were right on, and two big bombs.

Snagglezag
02-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Pretty much what happened. Perks had an off night, Silas filled the void. Good on him!

He filled the void of both Mathews and Perkins. Clutch.

Zagcity
02-11-2017, 07:01 PM
I have been a very vocal critic for the last 2 1/2 years on Silas's shortcomings. I have so much admiration for him since I believe he has corrected all my criticism and then some. He came in with a ton of potential and very high expectations. He takes excellent shots now and makes a good percentage of them. He has become a TEAM player to be proud of. His defensive skills are at the highest level. Unbelievable that he comes off the bench. He probably could start on any team he played for not named GU. His attitude seems great, he does not focus on his last play. He is an invaluable asset and his play may get him to the next level (NBA). The amount of work he has endured both mentally and physically is prodigious. Way to go Silas, I'm a believer in Silas Melson.

Actually he really arrived late last year ;)

Zagger
02-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Yeah, too bad for Perkins. His timing just seemed off resulting in TOs. Melson couldn't miss and his shots were smart ones. He just keeps getting better. Wonder if he might start over Mathews???? I kinda/sorta hope not as the way things are sure seem to be comfy for Silas.

MontanaCoyote
02-11-2017, 07:02 PM
He filled the void of both Mathews and Perkins. Clutch.

Absolutely agree!

btzag
02-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Did you read my post? Genuine question. Please read my whole post, if you haven't. If the last sentence in the second paragraph is too vague, I'll try to be a little more effective in my communication.

I think cg's point was that some of us appreciated what he brought to the team last year and two years ago while other naysayers have crushed him on this board for years now. I personally think those naysayers were just flat out wrong in their analysis of his impact in the program and should maybe temper their unfounded criticism in the future. Again just my opinion.

Zag4Hire
02-11-2017, 07:03 PM
I think Silas arrived a while ago. He was straight up key vs Florida. He is an absolute bonus to bring off the bench and the bench rotation is what separates this crew vs GU teams of the past. This team is absolutely a weapons cache.

soccerdud
02-11-2017, 07:22 PM
i said it late last year. i said it again in the offseason (when people were questioning whether silas was gonna have playing time this season)-- he was our most important player in the game vs seton hall last year.

he has stepped up, embraced his role, and deserves every minute he gets. key.

also, now over 40% 3-pt shooting for the year. and 3rd highest kenpom offensive rating (behind nwg and collins).

roxdoc
02-11-2017, 07:48 PM
And the really good news is he is here for another year. Go Silas!

CDC84
02-11-2017, 07:52 PM
His 3 point shot improvement had led to Silas developing more and more confidence in other areas of his game. Terrific, terrific defender. Would be starting for most power-5 teams, but truly glad he's a Zag.

sittingon50
02-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Silas played the most minutes of the 4 guards tonight. 32.

maynard g krebs
02-11-2017, 09:02 PM
I personally think those naysayers were just flat out wrong in their analysis of his impact in the program and should maybe temper their unfounded criticism in the future.

I love what Melson is doing now. But he used to come in and put up about 6 shots in about 8 minutes, and with a realy low efficiency rate. He even called himself a "volume shooter". Point is, criticism of Melson in the past, as long as it was civil and factual, was well justified. As is praise for him now; he's been tremendous the last 20 games or so, and was very good the latter part of last season.

He's shown tremendous growth as a player, and is now as good as anyone in the backcourt other than NWG imo.

Ezag
02-11-2017, 09:47 PM
He has definitely stepped it up a notch and I have to give him mad props for that. I was a doubter and I was wrong. I am most certainly a believer

jazzdelmar
02-12-2017, 03:50 AM
And the really good news is he is here for another year. Go Silas!

...and we're gonna need him.

thespywhozaggedme
02-12-2017, 04:43 AM
He should be starting over Matthews, but he's getting more minutes than him so I guess that's good.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-12-2017, 05:31 AM
Silas played the most minutes of the 4 guards tonight. 32.

Hard work and humility pay off. I'm real happy for Silas and the Zags.

Matthews may be having too many horrid shooting games for our liking, but Zags have established a rotation that works and Matthews is an underrated defender. My gut tells me Jordan Matthews is gonna make some huge shots for this team and enjoy some scoring outbursts before it's all said and done. Go Zags..keep doing what you do, focus on next game, working hard, improving each day. The sky is the limit!!!

gonstu
02-12-2017, 06:05 AM
You're right flex, would not surprise one bit for Matthews to hit 5 or 6 threes in a tourney game.

As the great pangos said, shoot when you're hot...you know the rest!

TexasZagFan
02-12-2017, 06:26 AM
We're 26-0. Why fix something that's purring along better than my Volvo 242GT when it was cruising on the autobahn at more than 100 mph?

The defense's focus on taking away Jordan's shot helps our offensive spacing.

As to Silas, there has to be at least one savvy NBA exec looking for their next sixth man. I can't think of a better player than Silas.

TexasZagFan
02-12-2017, 06:28 AM
Hard work and humility pay off. I'm real happy for Silas and the Zags.

Matthews may be having too many horrid shooting games for our liking, but Zags have established a rotation that works and Matthews is an underrated defender. My gut tells me Jordan Matthews is gonna make some huge shots for this team and enjoy some scoring outbursts before it's all said and done. Go Zags..keep doing what you do, focus on next game, working hard, improving each day. The sky is the limit!!!

Deserves multiple plus ones.

Zagger
02-12-2017, 08:20 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/sjm-smcbkc-0212-091.jpg?w=620

In the post-game media thread ZagNative posted a link to photos by the Mercury News. I sure like this one.
Go Melson, Go Zags!

Reborn
02-12-2017, 10:17 AM
After a bad start at Gonzaga Silas has had to recreate himself. And what a great job he has done. His new role and vastly improved game is as big as any reason that the Zags are undefeated. I LOVE HOW HE'S PLAYING, and am so proud of him for what he has done. Keep it up Silas.

Go Zags!!!

MDABE80
02-12-2017, 10:30 AM
The development is striking. He's quickly becoming the player I thought he could be 3 years back. As the season continues, I would not be surprised to see Few go to 2 guard 3 big lineup. Why? Josh has had some terrible games ( 2 in a row) and the bigs have risen. Of our 4 guards, Silas and Nigel are playing very very well.
Jordan Mathews is not shooting like he used to and Josh.....well...he's a "question mark". We need performance now more than ever.
After the WCC, the games will only get tougher.

seacatfan
02-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Maybe more so in the NBA, but there is real value to having a reliable 6th man that comes in and provides energy and some pop. Melson is doing that very well this year. Why change the dynamic? The recent game that NWG was held out of recently and Melson started instead, he didn't seem to have as much energy and he didn't have much impact on the game. Zags are doing just fine w/ the lineup/rotations as is, why in the world would you mess with that?

bartruff1
02-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Silas has a history of overcoming difficulties.......builds character...

Bogozags
02-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Don't know who said he would not be a starter next year but Silas WILL start next year...he has had two starts this year and performed well in both...

cggonzaga
02-12-2017, 11:14 AM

I did read your post coach. Your second paragraph should've been the entire post. Your first paragraph is what I had a problem with. Silas did this and it wasn't because of any other factor other than he figured things out. If we're not 26-0 right now and everything was purring along you better believe Silas would be starting for this team. Depending on who stays next year, you're probably looking at our second or third leading scorer.

I also disagree with your last statement especially at GU. This coaching staff will always play the player that will most "help" the team, not always the most talented. So if and when a kid gets things figured out they'll always have a role at GU.

theCOG
02-12-2017, 11:19 AM
He knows why he's on the court, just like every other player who sees real minutes on our team. I think this kind of awareness and commitment throughout the team is our biggest strength.

soccerdud
02-12-2017, 11:24 AM
After a bad start at Gonzaga Silas has had to recreate himself. And what a great job he has done. His new role and vastly improved game is as big as any reason that the Zags are undefeated. I LOVE HOW HE'S PLAYING, and am so proud of him for what he has done. Keep it up Silas.

Go Zags!!!

just to note, since you mentioned his start.. his first shot in his first game was a deep straight-on 3, all net, in MSG in a pre-season tournament game. :)

he definitely had some rough times afterwards, but can't get a much better opener than that.

Zaga
02-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Silas..............IMO your best game when we needed it most. Congrats young man...

zagbeliever
02-12-2017, 04:07 PM
I love Silas and I really love the faces he makes. lol He is a warrior.

ScrapironJim
02-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Agree entirely and moreover, I would suggest that the most important players on our team are the three primary "subs" -- Collins, Tillie, and Melson. Without their high level of talent and buy in, we would hpjust be another team "likely" to win the WCC (but not certain) and go to the Tourney only to be eliminated fairly soon. Those three are why we are ranked Number One.

Bulls eye!!!!

ScrapironJim
02-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Silas reminds me of Dranginis.

Ekrub
02-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Kind of thought coming in he would be like that two guard from Louisville a few years back. Has turned into more of a GBJ type player, though GBJ was a better 3 point shooter.

seacatfan
02-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Kind of thought coming in he would be like that two guard from Louisville a few years back. Has turned into more of a GBJ type player, though GBJ was a better 3 point shooter.

Russ Smith?

Zagceo
02-15-2017, 07:43 AM
Nice Meehan article.

link (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/14/guard-silas-melsons-game-continues-to-grow-for-top/)

Ekrub
02-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Russ Smith?

That's him.

TexasZagFan
02-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Nice Meehan article.

link (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/14/guard-silas-melsons-game-continues-to-grow-for-top/)

D-a-m-n....

MontanaCoyote
02-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Just for the sake of discussion, I'm going to take Karno, NWG, JWIII, Collins and Tillie "for granted" and say that Melson,* Perkins, and Matthews hold the key to a deep run at The Dance.

Still a novice here, but I've read countless articles stating that it's strong guard play that wins championships. I expect teams to press, even crawl all over our guards in an effort to disrupt our game. That, in turn, leads me to believe that we'll need ALL our guards playing their best to make a deep run.

Could well be wrong, but until and if posters convince me otherwise, that's where I am.

*The way Silas has been playing, could put him in the "for granted" lineup but decided not to in order to emphasize importance of overall guard play.

dadair
02-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Jim Meehan's piece on Silas in today's SR (http://bit.ly/2lhYM5O) says volumes about GU's approach to coaching:

“I’ve tried to assert myself as a leader and as a defender a little more,” Melson said. “We work with (strength and conditioning coach) Travis Knight and we always have our little talks before we lift. Some of it is just looking at yourself, just maturing as a person and trying to grow up.

“You have to look at yourself in the mirror and see if you’re mentally tough enough to play at this level and mentally tough enough to perform at a high level.”

bballbeachbum
02-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Just for the sake of discussion, I'm going to take Karno, NWG, JWIII, Collins and Tillie "for granted" and say that Melson,* Perkins, and Matthews hold the key to a deep run at The Dance.

Still a novice here, but I've read countless articles stating that it's strong guard play that wins championships. I expect teams to press, even crawl all over our guards in an effort to disrupt our game. That, in turn, leads me to believe that we'll need ALL our guards playing their best to make a deep run.

Could well be wrong, but until and if posters convince me otherwise, that's where I am.

*The way Silas has been playing, could put him in the "for granted" lineup but decided not to in order to emphasize importance of overall guard play.

maybe a novice here but hardly a novice seems to me ;)

I'm with you. I'd bet our guards will get hammered on and it will be allowed and it will be spun as "welcome to the big boys game" or some jive like that. I think the Zags are better suited to deal with that than ever though with this group. we'll see

TexasZagFan
02-15-2017, 10:51 AM
maybe a novice here but hardly a novice seems to me ;)

I'm with you. I'd bet our guards will get hammered on and it will be allowed and it will be spun as "welcome to the big boys game" or some jive like that. I think the Zags are better suited to deal with that than ever though with this group. we'll see

Rest easy...no one's going to "hammer" our guards. Good ball handlers, they're all 6'3", they probably see more physical play during practice than games, save for LMU.

My answer to the press? Post up J3, Killian, or Rui at the FT line (quarter court), and let them take their man one on one into the forecourt. Shem/Zach will be one-on-one, let them do their magic. Wash, rinse, repeat...opposing team takes time out, ditches the press.

Such a situation is perfect for Rui, who thrives in the open court.

MontanaCoyote
02-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Rest easy...no one's going to "hammer" our guards. Good ball handlers, they're all 6'3", they probably see more physical play during practice than games, save for LMU.

My answer to the press? Post up J3, Killian, or Rui at the FT line (quarter court), and let them take their man one on one into the forecourt. Shem/Zach will be one-on-one, let them do their magic. Wash, rinse, repeat...opposing team takes time out, ditches the press.

I worry about guards trying to dribble out of pressure/double teams and turning the ball over and/or trying to do too much with the ball when the pressure's on. I think Josh has a tendency to do one or the other when he gets mobbed and even NWG tried to penetrate a couple of times against SMC when guys were drapped all over him. Not really worried about the press.

Not that this has been a real problem for the Zag's, but they'll be playing against a good number of guards that are better to much better defensively than most they've faced during the regular season. How they handle that is what I think the key factor in just how deep a run they'll make. I believe they capable of pulling it off, but they still have to actually do it.

bballbeachbum
02-15-2017, 11:26 AM

hey TexasZagFan, wasn't talking about the press at all, just the play on the perimeter while running our stuff to work it inside, and also on D getting illegally picked or cleared out...just all kinds of stuff that gains advantage by fouling if not called; on being pressed, we'll see if teams want to press the Zags but they'd be playing with fire imo.

not hammer, but "hammer on" as in hack, slap, push, knee, pull---foul--that has plenty of times been allowed in the past. how America will interpret that regarding the Zags is predictable and self evident, already wildly existent in chat forums everywhere regarding the Zags (which may never stop even with a FF but maybe with a championship). so the nation's dialogue for a Zag eulogy is pre-loaded into the country's consciousness, again, until vanquishing that final hurdle. I'm not even complaining about it, just recognizing it.

anyway, we agree the Zags are better equipped than ever to deal with it. the physicality on the perimeter can get pretty intense in the tournament and allowed at times, sometimes unevenly, for whatever the reasons (speculate away).

bballbeachbum
02-15-2017, 11:30 AM
I worry about guards trying to dribble out of pressure/double teams and turning the ball over and/or trying to do too much with the ball when the pressure's on. I think Josh has a tendency to do one or the other when he gets mobbed and even NWG tried to penetrate a couple of times against SMC when guys were drapped all over him. Not really worried about the press.

Not that this has been a real problem for the Zag's, but they'll be playing against a good number of guards that are better to much better defensively than most they've faced during the regular season. How they handle that is what I think the key factor in just how deep a run they'll make. I believe they capable of pulling it off, but they still have to actually do it.

agree with you again. it's a fine line between being aggressive and over penetrating. Zag preparation very good though to help guards recognize. JPs issues cropped up when NWG was forced to the bench recently by fouls; we'll see if he is better prepared for that if/when the next time it happens; I'm pretty confident it will happen in the tournament and NWG will be sent to the pine with fouls early and the team will have to deal with some pressure on the perimeter

Zagceo
02-15-2017, 05:04 PM
hey TexasZagFan, wasn't talking about the press at all, just the play on the perimeter while running our stuff to work it inside, and also on D getting illegally picked or cleared out...just all kinds of stuff that gains advantage by fouling if not called; on being pressed, we'll see if teams want to press the Zags but they'd be playing with fire imo.

not hammer, but "hammer on" as in hack, slap, push, knee, pull---foul--that has plenty of times been allowed in the past. how America will interpret that regarding the Zags is predictable and self evident, already wildly existent in chat forums everywhere regarding the Zags (which may never stop even with a FF but maybe with a championship). so the nation's dialogue for a Zag eulogy is pre-loaded into the country's consciousness, again, until vanquishing that final hurdle. I'm not even complaining about it, just recognizing it.

anyway, we agree the Zags are better equipped than ever to deal with it. the physicality on the perimeter can get pretty intense in the tournament and allowed at times, sometimes unevenly, for whatever the reasons (speculate away).

we play BYU twice a year....

gonzagafan62
02-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Silas reminds me of Dranginis.

Dranginis did block MacArthurs shot in the WCC tournament in 2014 after Stockton spun the ball around for the game winner. Never gave him a chance to shoot it lol

Zagceo
02-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Silas or Chance the rapper?

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/Corey_Olson/IMG_5101_zpsbnax3kul.jpg

bballbeachbum
02-15-2017, 08:23 PM
we play BYU twice a year....

and their guards are not that good defensively so....