PDA

View Full Version : Streaming games

Birddog
02-10-2017, 04:29 AM
Last night marked the 3rd time this season that due to some scheduling conflict the Zag game was not carried on RootSW . As a result I was stuck streaming from "theW" and the quality really sucks on my set up. The images are mostly smeared and choppy. The audio is usually ahead of the video by a second or two and it is really hard to watch in general. My question for you guys is "Is the poor quality a result of "theW's" poor quality or is it something on my end"?. Ii can stream Netflix with no problems. Is it my download speed perhaps? ATT doesn't exactly provide stellar service but I'm not sure if it's them or "the W". It has been poor quality all three times but last night was really bad.

bigblahla
02-10-2017, 05:16 AM
hey bird....the W for me is in HD until it isn't and then it gets blurry....in and out....have great internet service fastest speed available through Comcast so I'm thinking it's the W...

Go!! Zags!!!

GrizZAG
02-10-2017, 05:17 AM
I have had good luck with TheW for the most part. I found that it is necessary to adjust the resolution setting to a higher level to stop the jerky image, out of voice sync and sharpness of video. I just learned that a few
Games back. At times it starts doing weird things or even freezes up so I just close it and reopen, set resolution and I'm in business again.
The resolution adjustment is available in the lower right hand corner of the image but to see it you have to hover your mouse pointer in that area for it to appear.

Last nights game is the first I was unable to see this year so relegated to play by play on ESPN which is very slow updating at times. I imagine the SW was blocked because Root NW wants us to purchase the game on some outlet down here.
Hope that helps

strikenowhere
02-10-2017, 05:19 AM
Last night marked the 3rd time this season that due to some scheduling conflict the Zag game was not carried on RootSW . As a result I was stuck streaming from "theW" and the quality really sucks on my set up. The images are mostly smeared and choppy. The audio is usually ahead of the video by a second or two and it is really hard to watch in general. My question for you guys is "Is the poor quality a result of "theW's" poor quality or is it something on my end"?. Ii can stream Netflix with no problems. Is it my download speed perhaps? ATT doesn't exactly provide stellar service but I'm not sure if it's them or "the W". It has been poor quality all three times but last night was really bad.

I'm in NJ and I stream all Zags games (either via Playstation Vue, WatchESPN, or WCC.tv) through Comcast and I've rarely had a problem personally. My guess is that its your internet connection. You said you go through AT&T? I'm not sure what the service plan is in your neck of the woods, but I know around here its pretty poor, I believe no greater than 20 Mb/sec download, which is tough for streaming live video.

zagfan24
02-10-2017, 05:20 AM
I watched the first half on TheW on my computer and had to refresh the feed a few times when it gets choppy. I primarily watched with the volume off so can't speak to the audio, but the video quality was choppy on a few brief occasions until I reloaded the page. The second half I watched on the Livestream app through my Roku. That was fine from a quality standpoint; not great but good enough.

Birddog
02-10-2017, 05:24 AM
I have had good luck with TheW for the most part. I found that it is necessary to adjust the resolution setting to a higher level to stop the jerky image, out of voice sync and sharpness of video. I just learned that a few
Games back. At times it starts doing weird things or even freezes up so I just close it and reopen, set resolution and I'm in business again.
The resolution adjustment is available in the lower right hand corner of the image but to see it you have to hover your mouse pointer in that area for it to appear.

Last nights game is the first I was unable to see this year so relegated to play by play on ESPN which is very slow updating at times. I imagine the SW was blocked because Root NW wants us to purchase the game on some outlet down here.
Hope that helps
So they keep the resolution thingie secret, good idea.

There was another game of greater regional importance on RootSW, I think it was an NBA game, but not positive.

Birddog
02-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Well last night was slightly better but still pretty poor overall. The video is choppy, like an old time peep show. Audio gets ahead of video. I messed with the resolution thing but it didn't help. Tomorrow I'm faced with the same dilemma, have to watch over the internet. I'm going to check my Internet download speed, anybody have an idea of what it needs to be?

edit: My download speed is 7.6Mbs, is that good enough? Video clip was 35 Mb
TIA

jwalk
02-17-2017, 12:38 PM
We have been trying to watch the games over the internet on theW.tv, however some of the games were georestricted. So we downloaded the wcc app on our android phones. It took about 4 or 5 searches in the app store to find. The app has been great, we have been able to watch all the games with good quality pictures. We have Google chromecast, so we cast to the big screen to watch.
Just another option. The app is free and we'll worth trying as compared to the internet version which I find to be less reliable and the quality very poor.

U Zig, I Zag
02-17-2017, 01:33 PM
My plan is to stock the pond on all non-ESPN games remaining. I was in and out this year for various reasons.

GrizZAG
02-17-2017, 02:12 PM
I watched the UZIZ connection for the USF game and it was marvelous! To UZIZ and the kind folks who take the time to do this I am so grateful. There have been several over the last few years who unselfishly took the time to help out the remote Zag fan base. You are my heros! TheW is quirky at times and decent others when it is being broadcast.