PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs LMU post game thoughts

Reborn
02-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Gonzaga 90
LMU 80

A VERY ROUGH GAME. I think the Zags survived. They certainly showed that they were not overlooking this game as they won by 30. They shot 44 free throws and made 34 of them. They shot 54% from the field and 44 from behind the 3 point line. 5 Zags scored in double figures and were led by NWG with 19 points. He also had 11 rebounds. J Williams score 13 followed by 3 Zags, Collins, Tillie and Mathews who added 11 points each. Zags defense was just too good.

On to St Mary's on Saturday.

bballbeachbum
02-09-2017, 09:40 PM
nice new profile pic

things can get wacky quick when a coach's gameplan is to foul hard a lot, just takes one moment to go to far, etc. I get that fouling is a part of the game, there's nothing new there, but tonight's LMU performance did themselves no credit. Even with the 31 fouls whistled against LMU, the refs that had some trouble keeping up, lots of uncalled hard ones with Zags getting checked while airborne. You know how dangerous that is but it happened a few times tonight, Tillie, Mathews, Collins, no call

bring on the ice and the ibu and on to St. Mary's on Saturday

ProVeeZag
02-09-2017, 09:46 PM
nice new profile pic

things can get wacky quick when a coach's gameplan is to foul hard a lot, just takes one moment to go to far, etc. I get that fouling is a part of the game, there's nothing new there, but tonight's LMU performance did themselves no credit. Even with the 31 fouls whistled against LMU, the refs that had some trouble keeping up, lots of uncalled hard ones with Zags getting checked while airborne. You know how dangerous that is but it happened a few times tonight, Tillie, Mathews, Collins, no call

bring on the ice and the ibu and on to St. Mary's on Saturday

I swear by Naproxen, makes me sleep like a baby too!

Tonight's performance by LMU was a black eye for the WCC. The Lions' approach: We can't beat you, so we're just gonna "beat on you". Some censuring would be appropriate by the conference, but odds of this happening are virtually nil.

CdAZagFan
02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
This team makes each and every game look so easy... I thought they let down a little in the 2nd half (similar to BYU 2nd half) when LMU hit a bunch of 3's and for awhile was keeping it below the 20-point margin - but they still end up winning by 30. I hope NWG, Tillie and Collins are all okay and ready to go when Saturday's game rolls around. This team should beat SMC by at least 20 points.

ProVeeZag
02-09-2017, 09:50 PM
This team makes each and every game look so easy... I thought they let down a little in the 2nd half (similar to BYU 2nd half) when LMU hit a bunch of 3's and for awhile was keeping it below the 20-point margin - but they still end up winning by 30. I hope NWG, Tillie and Collins are all okay and ready to go when Saturday's game rolls around. This team should beat SMC by at least 20 points.

Agree, if they are all healthy to play.

bballbeachbum
02-09-2017, 09:57 PM
I swear by Naproxen, makes me sleep like a baby too!

Tonight's performance by LMU was a black eye for the WCC. The Lions' approach: We can't beat you, so we're just gonna "beat on you". Some censuring would be appropriate by the conference, but odds of this happening are virtually nil.

hopefully the Zags aren't too bruised up and both Tillie and NWG's wheels aren't the worse for wear come Saturday

Zagger
02-10-2017, 03:03 AM
LMU sucks.

Coach Crazy
02-10-2017, 04:07 AM
In games like that, you need to do something that brings everything to a head. That way the refs have no choice but to start calling things in a way that makes people back off the tactics. This is one of those games when you need an end of the bench enforcer. Especially for cheap shot artists like Shamar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
02-10-2017, 04:37 AM
LMU sucks.

Indeed. Watching this game after Duke Carolina was disheartening.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Sure hope Tillie didn't aggravate his ankle injury or incur any new nicks after that game. He is starting to come on and play his best ball of the season. A confident assertive Tillie - blocking shots, knocking down 3's, rebounding, leading the fast break etc - really takes this team to another level. Pretty awesome bench contributions right now from Melson, Collins, Tillie.

Similarly, sure hope NWG's neck and ankle are ok. I'd sacrifice him playing vs Gaels for him being 100% healthy for postseason in a heartbeat.

Reborn
02-10-2017, 10:27 AM
I watched the game again this morning. Gonzaga really is good. They played really well last night. Winning by 30 points @ LMU is just a great win. Thy are so talented and so deep. Im glad I record these games and watchgthem the next day. The look a lot better the next day because I'm so relaxed.

Zag_Dad
02-10-2017, 10:38 AM
That was a tough game to watch ... I cringed with every hard foul, covered my eyes every time I say a Zag was knocked to the ground, said silent prayers every time someone was slow to get up. I don't want to be like the "Yiners" and complain about how every time there is contact by the other team it is a "Flagrant 2" and think our boys play without ever committing ANY infractions ... but last night was rough.

As far as we know, our players made it out without suffering any injuries that would keep them out of the game tomorrow, so I'll chalk this up to a positive experience. We will now be better prepared for one of those teams from a "real" conference where they play "real" teams that would mop the floor with our little squad from Spokane.

Bring it! But first, let's beat the Gaels