PDA

View Full Version : Horrid LMU Physicality

DixieZag
02-09-2017, 08:03 PM
Unbelievably dangerously over-aggressive in a game seen to be a blowout just after half.

Few had every right to put a finger in Dunlap's chest.

Lucky no one got extremely hurt, we don't know the full extent of possible injuries right now.

23dpg
02-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Unbelievably dangerously over-aggressive in a game seen to be a blowout just after half.

Few had every right to put a finger in Dunlap's chest.

Lucky no one got extremely hurt, we don't know the full extent of possible injuries right now.

I agree with your first and third sentences. Did the second sentence actually happen?

SWZag
02-09-2017, 08:09 PM
I saw one play that was overly aggressive and that was the one that they called a flagrant. I thought they played extremely tough and it was physical, but in no way malicious or BYU-style.

bballbeachbum
02-09-2017, 08:11 PM
seemed like they fouled every play for long stretches, hard fouls on purpose play after play down 20+ points is BS in my book

btzag
02-09-2017, 08:12 PM
I agree with Dixie and thought it was exactly BYU-style. 10+ plays in the second half were reckless alone.

MickMick
02-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Number 24 should have been ejected.

U Zig, I Zag
02-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Aggressive. Winning on the line for them - but not much else. For GU it means a lot, if guys get taken out. Doubt that was their intent, but when it was 25+fouls against I would like to think Dunlap would have said to play it straight up. Doesn't seem like he did.

jpn17
02-09-2017, 08:20 PM
I don't think I could call it dirty, but I imagine that fouling hard and often was part of the gameplan. Didn't work, so hopefully we won't see anyone else employ the same strategy.

gonstu
02-09-2017, 08:21 PM
I agree with your first and third sentences. Did the second sentence actually happen?

Yeah, did this actually happen?

Zagceo
02-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Santangelo was very vocal about the hard fouls on radio.....

IMO .......bush league....

LMU is a joke of a program

Mantua
02-09-2017, 08:26 PM
I'm still struggling to find words that wouldn't get me banned.

Mantua
02-09-2017, 08:28 PM
I don't think I could call it dirty, but I imagine that fouling hard and often was part of the gameplan. Didn't work, so hopefully we won't see anyone else employ the same strategy.

It was dirty.

DixieZag
02-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Yeah, did this actually happen?

No, not that I know of. I wrote the thread with 2 minutes to go. I should have written it differently saying that, come the end of the game, if Few had put his finger in Dunlap's chest, he would have been justified.

That's just not Few's M.O., though, (which is fine). So he likely didn't.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-09-2017, 08:31 PM
LMU was bush league. Couldn't fill up their crackerbox for the #1 team in the nation and their thug players were out to hurt people. It was like a bad playground game

Hoopaholic
02-09-2017, 08:32 PM
LMU was bush league. Couldn't fill up their crackerbox for the #1 team in the nation and their thug players were out to hurt people.

I love physical defense games but this was way out of bounds in my book

gonzagafan62
Like was mentioned in game thread that was worse than BYU

Mantua
I definitely detected steam rising off of our coaches.

zagbeliever
02-09-2017, 08:35 PM
It was dirty.. They wanted to HURT someone. Nasty players.

DixieZag
02-09-2017, 08:37 PM
I definitely detected steam rising off of our coaches.

Appropriate, I would think. I genuinely do think it was bad enough that something could be said, either to Dunlap directly or to the conference. But, I don't know how that would work, if that's ever done. It might be interesting if anyone does.

JPtheBeasta
02-09-2017, 08:38 PM
It's pretty impressive how well the Zags kept their composure.

That said, I would have actually liked to see at least one hard - but clean- foul by a Zag on an LMU player to send a message.

bigblahla
02-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Very Kaufusi-ish

Go!! Zags!!!

DixieZag
02-09-2017, 08:41 PM

That said, I would have actually liked to see at least one hard - but clean- foul by a Zag on an LMU player to send a message.

Yes. Almost like an enforcer in hockey. Send out Jeremy Jones or Ryan Edwards to put someone on the ground, cleanly, of course. :)

gobroncsgozags
02-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Bad combination of dirty play, unathletic players trying to play being their skill, and terrible refs. LMU should be ashamed of themselves.

Mantua
02-09-2017, 08:43 PM
I wanted to see the bench sent in earlier for exactly that reason.

Few has astonishing control over his emotions.

And our team was very cool suffering that onslaught.

Zagceo
02-09-2017, 08:45 PM

edwards landing on Dunlap.....direct message

JPtheBeasta
02-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Yes. Almost like an enforcer in hockey. Send out Jeremy Jones or Ryan Edwards to put someone on the ground, cleanly, of course. :)

Some form of self-policing happens in most sports, it seems to me. If the refs are going to let LMU do what it did, you have the right to stick up for yourself. Cleanly, of course. ;)

I do appreciate that Few would rather let the scoreboard do the talking, but an injury was the only major concern going into tonight, and it got worse as things went along.

Mantua
02-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Is that why NWG gave him that huge smile after the game?

JPtheBeasta
02-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Missed that :) I'll have to check it out.

DixieZag
02-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Some form of self-policing happens in most sports, it seems to me. If the refs are going to let LMU do what it did, you have the right to stick up for yourself. Cleanly, of course. ;)

I do appreciate that Few would rather let the scoreboard do the talking, but an injury was the only major concern going into tonight, and it got worse as things went along.

Scoreboard is definitely the best way to send a message. What they deserved was having the starters in until the last minute, draining threes and pushing the ball, hang about a buck-ten $1.10 on them, hold them to under 60. But, the downside of course is that you could get those guys hurt.

So, as you said, just slamming someone to the deck is the only real response, cleanly, of course. ;)

Joe
02-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Wasn't one of Dickau's keys to the game for LMU to use their fouls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProVeeZag
02-09-2017, 09:09 PM
It was extremely difficult to watch this kind of unvarnished thuggery exhibited by LMU. And the referees largely played into it, letting obvious shoves & blocks by a string of different LMU "players" go uncalled when there was not even a remote attempt to make a play on the ball. And conversely, there were half a dozen or so very "ticky-tack" contact fouls that went against the Zags. I don't hold my breath for the conference to even look at this. And it's difficult for an unbeaten, uber-talented Zag team to complain too vociferously. Then the chant among opponents becomes that we're soft, can't play tough, etc. This exhibition by LMU will be remembered by the Zags and all of us fans for a long, long time.

You would never have seen LMU greats like Kimble, Gathers, Fryer, and Lowery (to name but a few) stoop to levels like this. Of course they actually had talent, unlike this current crop of goons.

Let's see what the triage assessment looks like and go from there.

ProVeeZag
02-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Wasn't one of Dickau's keys to the game for LMU to use their fouls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yessir, check that box off!

MTZag03
02-09-2017, 09:17 PM

I remember Calvary doing exactly this. They had to bench him after the foul and he pointed the dude out while walking to the bench. The fouls stopped after that. Calvary came back in the game, and the two players were cordial after the game even.

FuManShoes
02-09-2017, 09:20 PM
I respect the hell out of Few but really wish he'd take a T in order to call out this BS, especially when the game's well in hand and the true threat is injury. Get in a ref's face and tell him to get control of the game before someone gets hurt. How many times did Zags get shoved into the basket support? Collins got posterized and then pulled down for good measure. F- those guys.

All Weather Fan
02-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Most telling stat of the game:
Zags had 48 FG attempts & 44 FT attempts. Think about that !
What if the stripes would have actually called all of their fouls ?
Never seen those 3 refs before & hope never again. Ridiculous !

ProVeeZag
02-09-2017, 09:38 PM

Had they called 'em all, there would still be 3 minutes and change left in the damn game. Currently 10:38pm PDT

bballbeachbum
02-09-2017, 09:43 PM

+1 all 12 Dunlap players collected at least a foul, and 10 of them collected at least 2

amaronizag
02-09-2017, 09:44 PM
I lost a lot of respect for Dunlap and the LMU team tonight. The coach has a responsibility to stop that crap. I hated the LMU player responses to their hard fouls as well.

ProVeeZag
02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
I lost a lot of respect for Dunlap and the LMU team tonight. The coach has a responsibility to stop that crap. I hated the LMU player responses to their hard fouls as well.

Lot of eye contact after those fouls, unsaid meaning. Like I said in another thread, this garbage will not be forgotten. A day and time will present itself.

amaronizag
02-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Karno, Tillie, and Mathews all got in a ref's face after hard fouls and no calls. After Mathews gave the ref an ear full, the ref started talking to Mathews who shook his head and walked away from him while shaking his head no. He didn't want to hear it and showed his disrespect for the way the game was being called. It was my favorite part of the game.

ZagaZags
02-10-2017, 12:41 AM
No, not that I know of. I wrote the thread with 2 minutes to go. I should have written it differently saying that, come the end of the game, Few should have slapped Dunlap's face, he would have been justified.

That's just not Few's M.O., though, (which is fine). So he likely didn't.

http://i.imgur.com/wh69c8K.gif

Sorry for the edit. ;)

CDC84
02-10-2017, 01:45 AM
Another thing.....those backboards at Gersten appear to be dangerous. A number of Zags slammed into them tonight (Zach and Jordan come to mind). It appears as though the backboards are too close to the base. The backboards don't hang over the playing court enough. If you dunk the ball, you have to be very careful about not landing on the padding.

When your team is winning league games by 27 per game, your biggest worry becomes injuries to players. I can live with a hard foul and a twisted knee vs. Kentucky, but it's a little harder to swallow against a WCC team that's playing Hack-A-Zag.

As soon as Dickau said that LMU was planning on using all 12 players, I immediately knew it was going to be a parade to the foul line all night long with ice bags ready for exiting players on the bench.

Zagger
02-10-2017, 02:40 AM
LMU was bush league. Couldn't fill up their crackerbox for the #1 team in the nation and their thug players were out to hurt people. It was like a bad playground game

Agree. They'll never fill up their gym playing that way. LMU just became my least liked WCC team. Crappy fouling and lose by 30 - not a way to gain fans/respect.

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2017, 05:24 AM
That wasn't basketball, it was thugball. Shame on LMU.

Zagdawg
02-10-2017, 05:32 AM
We thought LMU was physical-- Dime took it out on the fans.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/02/10/washingtons-malik-dime-slaps-student-heckler-in-loss-at-colorado/

JPtheBeasta
02-10-2017, 07:08 AM
We thought LMU was physical-- Dime took it out on the fans.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/02/10/washingtons-malik-dime-slaps-student-heckler-in-loss-at-colorado/

The term "dropping dimes" has taken on new meaning.

DixieZag
02-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Karno, Tillie, and Mathews all got in a ref's face after hard fouls and no calls. After Mathews gave the ref an ear full, the ref started talking to Mathews who shook his head and walked away from him while shaking his head no. He didn't want to hear it and showed his disrespect for the way the game was being called. It was my favorite part of the game.

Mathews, especially, has every right to confront those refs on no-calls. A senior, coach's son, low-keyed guy, very smart/savvy, and one not prone to complaining - when a guy like that complains to a ref, it is definitely worthy of that ref, conference officials and TV guys noting it. He's earned the right to confront the refs.

ZagOD7540
02-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Not a basketball player on that LMU team. Looked like a "rat ball" game on the streets of LA. No talent at all to compete, so they turned it into a hack fest. We are lucky no one got hurt. Couldn't wait for that game to end. Disgusted with LMU and Dunlap. Matthews could have had a "Paul George" type injury. NWG was getting drilled going to the hoop when no play on the ball was made...pathetic. Should have been ejected. #24 and #25 were awful

RenoZag
02-10-2017, 07:33 AM
Zags proved they were tough and can withstand 'physical style of play' (as they did vs. BYU ) teams. They will likely encounter that style again in the WCC tourney and in The Big Dance.

Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, and Big East teams tend to beat up on each other, don't they ? Looks like GU is equal to the task if they encounter that crap again.

Side note: I can't recall the specific play (might have been the hard foul on Tillie when he attempted a dunk and Collins finished ? ) but it looked like JWill was ready to deck somebody after that.

former1dog
02-10-2017, 07:48 AM
IMO - LMU went beyond physical play. In physical play, those involved are still playing basketball and making basketball plays, but are unafraid to smack someone on the wrist or arm or bump bodies going for blocks or rebounds.

LMU was doing a straight up Kafusi imitation last night. Like most of you, I was straight up pissed off.

Luckily for all of us, Gonzaga's players didn't react like most of us. They continued to play basketball and represented all of us extremely well.

raise the zag
02-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Mike Dunlap adds this quote, unsure how he meant it...

That also makes for a more aggressive team and that was demonstrated at the free throw line, where Gonzaga made 34 of 44, while Loyola went to the line only eight times, making four.

"That's a huge disparity," Dunlap said.

yeah, no sh!t Coach Sherlock.

After your outrageous gameplan to turn a bball game into a hockey match.

zagfan24
02-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Luckily for all of us, Gonzaga's players didn't react like most of us. They continued to play basketball and represented all of us extremely well.

This can't be overstated enough. I thought LMU showed a real lack of class, and the refs showed a real lack of control. Both were disappointing. There's just no reason to play that style of game especially when the contest was completely out of reach. I was extremely impressed with the maturity of the Zags team as a whole in their response.

DixieZag
02-10-2017, 09:41 AM
That quote from Dunlap is disgustingly offensive.

When your game plan consists of using 12 players and turning it into pro-wrestling, you are going to get fouls and foul shots racked up against you.

Damn, I was mad before, now reading that quote sends me for a loop. I wonder if there's an avenue for Roth or Few or the Men's BB director to file a complaint with the WCC.

jagwalkley
02-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Never will understand way Few keeps his starters in the game,when he knows we are going to win.Why does he take a chance on them getting knocked out.When one of them or more misses the play-offs or the final 4,maybe he will think about this??

zagzilla
02-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Silver lining....toughens them up for bigger games.

Glad everybody is healthy. NWG especially.

ZZ

Markburn1
02-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Never will understand way Few keeps his starters in the game,when he knows we are going to win.Why does he take a chance on them getting knocked out.When one of them or more misses the play-offs or the final 4,maybe he will think about this??

Jag. Basketball has a rhythm to it. Players and coaches get used to certain patterns throughout the season. Watch all the best programs. They try to use the same players for the same amount of minutes in specific rotations. The Zags have more blowouts than the other elite teams because of the weak sisters in the WCC so it is true that main rotation players see more time on the court during games that seem to be in hand. But, the rotations need to be consistent for when they play more competitive games. It's just more comfortable for the long haul.

Zagsker
02-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Silver lining....toughens them up for bigger games.

ZZ

Exactly what I was thinking

ScrapironJim
02-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Great comment, Mark. As a college athlete myself (football and baseball), I experienced first hand what you are talking about. The first team was on the field through at least three quarters. Even though it might be 50 - 0 at halftime, the first team was back out for the third quarter. We all wanted the second and third string to share in the joy of being on the field (play in front of family and friends - tv also), but not to the detriment of the rhythm and chemistry factors. That said, I would have liked to have seen Coach Few make a demonstrative statement - probably a technical called - in support of the safety of his players. LMU players and coach were way out of line - all 12 players had fouls - many multiple. It appeared to be a coached strategy initiated by Dunlap. As a football player, I can say that I and my teammates would have responded with an on the field statement of a VERY physical nature. That sends a clear message to your opponent and if it doesn't stop, it will at least force the refs and coaches to take corrective action. The issue is not ego or machismo . . . it is safety. LMU has nothing to lose. They stink out loud with no hope of winning. We on the other hand are on the way to an undefeated season and probably a final four . . . but only if we are healthy. LMU committed several fouls with a serious risk of injury.
GO ZAGS. This is our year!!!!!!

ScrapironJim
02-10-2017, 04:04 PM
One more reason for coach Few to have made a statement would be to send a message to our future opponents. I fear that some of them may have the impression that excessive physical play will be tolerated and may even be effective if it is employed by a more skilled team. Also, I disagree with the notion that this will toughen them up. They will not face that type of play in March. Not such overt physical abuse. The refs won't tolerate it and our competitors won't have 12 hoodlums to send on the court. The good teams will do everything to avoid a foul disparity. Winning teams rarely commit flagrant fouls. Again, going back to my playing days, committing more than one 15 yard personal foul penalty would probably put you on the bench sitting next to a coach who was in your ear. I don't think Coach Few would tolerate that behavior from his players unless it was a retaliatory statement. Even then, I am not so sure. Our players have outstanding 'on the court demeanor and sportsmanship', of which I am very proud!!!!

ZagsGoZags
02-10-2017, 04:26 PM
who is the most effective person to complain to?
would it be to WCC, or Dunlap himself.
Is there an email way to communicate with those who oversee the refs?
I mean griping amongst ourselves, rather than focusing on a realistic
effort to effect change, is just what LMU wants.

Zagceo
02-10-2017, 04:36 PM
who is the most effective person to complain to?
would it be to WCC, or Dunlap himself.
Is there an email way to communicate with those who oversee the refs?
I mean griping amongst ourselves, rather than focusing on a realistic
effort to effect change, is just what LMU wants.

email LMU AD remind them how much revenue Zags generate for their budget before employing combat tactics that could spoil deep run in FF

ScrapironJim
02-10-2017, 04:42 PM
My hope is that the GU President has been in touch with the WCC commissioner.

Outraged
02-10-2017, 06:50 PM
When your coached by a retread expect alot of blowouts.

RenoZag
02-10-2017, 06:59 PM
I suspect Dunlap's mother was a hamster and his father smell't of elderberries.

asoc
02-10-2017, 07:16 PM
I suspect Dunlap's mother was a hamster and his father smell't of elderberries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAy4zULKFDU

sittingon50
02-10-2017, 08:01 PM
LMU, dressed in their home white's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvs5pqf-DMA