PDA

View Full Version : Withers: Some riffs from Mark Few

sittingon50
02-08-2017, 08:38 PM
http://www.gloryhounds.net/whatsnew/view/290820/24-wins-in-mark-few-takes-stock

Virginia Zags Fan
02-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Good stuff! His book is so good. I do not want Romar to go. His book kind of explains why many kids in Seattle will play at the U no matter who is coach or how well the U is doing. A competent coach would be so dangerous with that talent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Birddog
02-09-2017, 03:27 AM
When asked, Few sought to correct an eyebrow-raising assertion by multiple TV analysts that he earlier named Williams-Goss "the best leader" he's ever had. While conceding that he could have misstated his feelings, Few, noting that GU has had some powerful leaders like Kevin Pangos, says, "What I've said is, we've had some great leaders and he's certainly right up there with the best of them. What he does better, he can really communicate around the floor. He does so much talking (to teammates)."

Like a big "Steelie", when the talking heads think they have a nugget they just run with it.

Birddog
02-09-2017, 03:28 AM
Oooops, double post

RenoZag
02-09-2017, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the link, sitting. Good stuff, as usual, from Bud Withers.

Zagger
02-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Like a big "Steelie", when the talking heads think they have a nugget they just run with it.
Yeah, Few's just plain not going to say 'best', or truly even feel 'best', without something attached to that. To me it's all sorta like human pyramid building. If a group wins the top height the top few people get a lot of attention. But, many before them built the foundation. Each year, things going as they are with both recruits & guys wanting to transfer in, it's a bit more doable to achieve what this bunch right now has accomplished to date. This team's a great team and it has a lot of support with history, program, coaching, community, past players, etc. Where I think 'best' could be applied without much debate is the team's defense. My personal feelings are that should the Zags improve even further on D they have a darn good chance of keeping any team from going off on them. Squashing a run by another team does wonders.

TexasZagFan
02-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Yeah, Few's just plain not going to say 'best', or truly even feel 'best', without something attached to that. To me it's all sorta like human pyramid building. If a group wins the top height the top few people get a lot of attention. But, many before them built the foundation. Each year, things going as they are with both recruits & guys wanting to transfer in, it's a bit more doable to achieve what this bunch right now has accomplished to date. This team's a great team and it has a lot of support with history, program, coaching, community, past players, etc. Where I think 'best' could be applied without much debate is the team's defense. My personal feelings are that should the Zags improve even further on D they have a darn good chance of keeping any team from going off on them. Squashing a run by another team does wonders.

The Zags are built this year to "stop runs". On offense, you have two genuine playmakers in Nigel and Shem, both adept at putting points on the board when a dry spell hits. Last year, you could focus your energies on Wilt, and he'd go silent for far too long. Domas just wasn't the offensive force that Shem is down low.

I wouldn't call our defense "lock down", they just make you work harder for your shot and contest a very high percentage. Guys like Brownridge may hit a few in a row, then they'll miss the next 5-6.

For their defensive prowess, I'd like to see us go against Louisville in the tournament. They rely heavily on the 3 pointer, and that's been a defensive strength for us this year. Of course, our guards would have to get in and help out on the boards.

former1dog
02-09-2017, 06:34 AM
Domas just wasn't the offensive force that Shem is down low.

You know I love you Tex, but this is an oversell on your part.

The rest of the post is golden, though.

CDC84
02-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Some interesting comments from coach. Especially how Zach needs to work on many of the things Olynyk worked on during his redshirt year; how Nigel has turned into a ferocious defender and how they have a hard time getting JWIII to play with assertiveness and emotion at all times. He's a very quiet kid. It's not that he ever plays lazy, but JWIII has two levels to his play. When he really brings it, gees, he looks like best guy on the floor.

Ekrub
02-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Some interesting comments from coach. Especially how Zach needs to work on many of the things Olynyk worked on during his redshirt year; how Nigel has turned into a ferocious defender and how they have a hard time getting JWIII to play with assertiveness and emotion at all times. He's a very quiet kid. It's not that he ever plays lazy, but JWIII has two levels to his play. When he really brings it, gees, he looks like best guy on the floor.

JW3 is the X-Factor for this team

TexasZagFan
02-09-2017, 09:12 AM
You know I love you Tex, but this is an oversell on your part.

The rest of the post is golden, though.

I went back and looked at the stats, looks like I did oversell it. Domas averaged 18/12 last year in 32 minutes per game, and he was an absolute beast against Utah.

billyberu
02-09-2017, 01:33 PM
I can't even imagine how good this team would be with Domas at the 4. That in no way diminishes the level of excellence we're seeing this year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk