PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs St Mary's predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
02-08-2017, 11:20 AM
Gonzaga 75
St Maty's 67

I've never been to Miraga to watch the Zags play. Will the Zag fans get into that cracker box to see the game, or will tickets be sold to St Mary's fans only?

The Zags can win in Moraga, and they have won there before a number of times. I really like our chances this year. This game will feature the two top teams in the WCC with the best players also. The match ups are really good, just as you would expect from the two best teams. At center you have Landale vs Mt Karno and Collins. At power forward you have Pineau and Fitzner vs Williams and Tillie. AND at guards you have Naar, Rahon and Hermanson vs NWG, Perkins, Mathews and Melson. St Mary's will play at home so they will play better than they did when they played in Spokane, so I expect a nail-biter this time. I really don't expect that the Zags' #1 ranking will be a factor. Neither team ever needs outside motivation in order to be motivated for this really good rivalry.

Go Zags!!!

Zagceo
02-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Zags 85
SMC. 65

Zagger
02-08-2017, 11:32 AM
I predict we'll whack LMU before I make a SMC/GU prediction :)

stevet75
02-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Zags 79 SMC 76

gonzagafan62
02-08-2017, 11:45 AM
Gonzaga 79
Saint Mary's 56

DixieZag
02-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Not sure why we're predicting prior to LMU but, ok.

Zags 78
Gaels 70

Close game or a little behind in 1st half, then pull away to 15 or so in the second half, a mini-run gets SMC within striking distance but maturity wins out.

Very similar to BYU game, less of a lead.

Reborn
02-08-2017, 11:59 AM
I'M not worried about either game. I TRY to live one day at a time to the best of my ability. Today there is no game, and I feel that talking about the game with St Mary's will make this day better than if I limit myself to talking ONLY about our game with LMU. It's INTERESTING that talking about the St Mary's game makes me feel so good, but it does. And I don't have any guilt at all. IMO it could be the most important game against St Mary's EVER. i really don't feel that I am jinxing the Zags fit their game against LMU tomorrow. I will give my full attention to that game tomorrow.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
02-08-2017, 12:01 PM

According to spy, it just doesn't matter. We're internet keyboard warriors and our thoughts, hopes, superstitions, and mojo matter not to the team we root for.

I hope they break out the red jerseys. . .

Markburn1
02-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Gonzaga 75
St Maty's 67

I've never been to Miraga to watch the Zags play. Will the Zag fans get into that cracker box to see the game, or will tickets be sold to St Mary's fans only?

The Zags can win in Moraga, and they have won there before a number of times. I really like our chances this year. This game will feature the two top teams in the WCC with the best players also. The match ups are really good, just as you would expect from the two best teams. At center you have Landale vs Mt Karno and Collins. At power forward you have Pineau and Fitzner vs Williams and Tillie. AND at guards you have Naar, Rahon and Hermanson vs NWG, Perkins, Mathews and Melson. St Mary's will play at home so they will play better than they did when they played in Spokane, so I expect a nail-biter this time. I really don't expect that the Zags' #1 ranking will be a factor. Neither team ever needs outside motivation in order to be motivated for this really good rivalry.

Go Zags!!!

I'll be there. If one brings money, they'll let anybody in the gym. HaHa.

Usually a good representation of Zag Nation there.

Don't want to look past LMU, but I can't tell you when I've been more excited to go to a sporting event. Usually get to watch the Zags 3 or 4 times a year. This one feels different.

Reborn
02-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Zags 78
Gaels 70

Close game or a little behind in 1st half, then pull away to 15 or so in the second half, a mini-run gets SMC within striking distance but maturity wins out.

Very similar to BYU game, less of a lead.

I understand how u feel, Dixie Zag. I thought long and hard before posting this thread. I used to be one who would never talk about any team who we were bot playing in our next game.I was so much more superstitious back then.

BayAreaZagFan
02-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Zags will win by double-digits. It will be a close game in front of a raucous crowd for most of the first half, with the Zags taking a small lead into halftime. Midway through the 2nd half, GU's depth becomes too much for St. Mary's to overcome and the home team's crowd will begin filing with under 5 mins to go.

Zags11
02-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Gonzaga 75
St Maty's 67

Go Zags!!!

Predictions already? Thought it'd be Fri. So I will wait. Eager tho I like it. :)

Zags11
02-08-2017, 04:32 PM
According to spy, it just doesn't matter. We're internet keyboard warriors and our thoughts, hopes, superstitions, and mojo matter not to the team we root for.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Reborn
02-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Predictions already? Thought it'd be Fri. So I will wait. Eager tho I like it. :)

this thread ix twofold. 1. predictions and 2. Thoughts about the game. No need to give your prediction before Friday.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Zags 79
Gaels 75

DixieZag
02-08-2017, 04:40 PM

I thought it was the opposite, that us keyboard warriors disrespect our team and impact the Zags going forward if we question whether we're a clear number one.

Regardless, I don't mind one way or another, it's totally fine with me if there's a thread on SMC - I was just surprised, that's all. No worries, Reborn.

I, too - am not worried, which makes me worry. :)

Reborn
02-08-2017, 05:34 PM
I, too - am not worried, which makes me worry. :)

:enraged::lmao::lmao: you're funnier than hell. Thanks for a good laugh.

Zags11
02-09-2017, 01:01 AM
I was joking. Yes I am pumped for today and Saturday!!! Gonna be nuts Saturday!

Reborn
02-09-2017, 08:50 PM
OK. We got LMU out of the way with a real nice win tonight. Now we can give full attention to St Mary's.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
02-09-2017, 08:56 PM
OK. We got LMU out of the way with a real nice win tonight. Now we can give full attention to St Mary's.

Go Zags!!!

Pressure is definitely on SMC, I feel good about Saturday.

HenneZag
02-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Pressure is definitely on SMC, I feel good about Saturday.

I disagree. We hold the #1 ranking going into Moraga. We're supposed to win. If they lose its expected, if they play us tight it's not going to hurt them. Either way the pressure IMO is on us. This is a huge game for both teams on a conference standpoint and more for the Zags in seeding. It will be back and forth.

CdAZagFan
02-09-2017, 09:57 PM
I think more pressure is on SMC - first College GameDay on their campus and a home court where they are suppose to hold serve (and having lost to us once already). Either way, I hope both teams bring their best games, and I hope the Zags do what they've done all season - get a large early lead and hold on to a 20+ point win.

I would like to hear an injury update after that game tonight before making any score prediction...

gonzagafan62
02-09-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm still waiting for MS Paint

Zagricultural
02-09-2017, 10:14 PM
77-69 Zags. Gaels will slow it down and try to grind out a win, but we are just too talented and deep for them.

Hoopaholic
02-09-2017, 10:27 PM
76zags
62 gaels

Zags11
02-10-2017, 01:14 AM
Zags 78
Smc 74

Goss 19.

Smc comes out hard and has lead for about a half. We fight back and pull it out at the end on some clutch shots and tough d.

Zagger
02-10-2017, 03:02 AM
Zags 85
SMC 60

Zag defense.

After playing LMU's hockey team I hope all our guys able to play on Saturday. I feel this game will showcase just how good (which is really good) this Zag bunch is. Kudos to SMC if they can keep the game closer. IMHO I think the Zags are ready for SMC.

bigblahla
02-10-2017, 03:33 AM
83-69 Zags.....

Go!! Zags!!!

willandi
02-10-2017, 05:58 AM
85-58 Zags womp 'em!

LongIslandZagFan
02-10-2017, 06:09 AM
This will be a major defensive battle. Randy and Co. will have dissected what happened in Spokane and will make adjustments.

Zags 66
Gaels 60

bartruff1
02-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Gonzaga 75-62

Mantua
02-10-2017, 06:38 AM
GU - 82
SMC - 78

TexasZagFan
02-10-2017, 06:47 AM
GU 83
SMC 68

Zags quiet the crowd by the first TV TO, by feeding Karno early, putting SMC bigs in early foul trouble. SMC hangs around until 8 minute mark of second half, where NWG takes the game over, and puts it out of reach. 9-13 come in after the last TV timeout, SMC brings the final margin down to 15. Bennett does his best Randy Bennett handshake imitation as he walks briskly by Few.

Zaga
02-10-2017, 06:55 AM
75 - 64 Gonzaga!

#runthetable

bballbeachbum
02-10-2017, 06:55 AM
barn burner, which I think would be a good thing for the Zags
key I think will be Zags defending the screen roll/pop like it always is against SMC. SMC is at home so I expect they will be allowed more grabbing/pushing/illegal screening which is usually significant. Zags have weapons to overcome though, particularly their ability to switch the perimeter screens with all players not named Karnowski. Also I think Zags need to establish Shem early on O and, when he's on the floor, go to him and put pressure on Londale etc. because Bennett will put Shem in the screen roll/pop a lot on the other end. Hope all dinged up Zags are ready to go

TexasZagFan
02-10-2017, 07:02 AM
key I think will be Zags defending the screen roll/pop like it always is against SMC. SMC is at home so I expect they will be allowed more grabbing/pushing/illegal screening which is usually significant. Zags have weapons to overcome though, particularly their ability to switch the perimeter screens with all players not named Karnowski. Also I think Zags need to establish Shem early on O and, when he's on the floor, go to him and put pressure on Londale etc. because Bennett will put Shem in the screen roll/pop a lot on the other end. Hope all dinged up Zags are ready to go

Zags did a really good job of switching off the perimeter screens against SCU. Our 8 man rotation is really working well with each other, seems to get better on the defensive end with each game. Sure, there are occasional lapses, but easy buckets against the Zags are few and far between.

To beat the Zags, I think the opponent will need to knock down a dozen or more 3 pointers. Our offense is too efficient to beat us when the opponents aren't scoring from beyond the arc.

rennis
02-10-2017, 07:09 AM
SMC is a good team, but GU is a great team this year. I know some of the stats say otherwise but I don't think the odds are in favor of SMC in this matchup, and I don't care where the game is played.

GU 72
SMC 59

DixieZag
02-10-2017, 07:30 AM

Along with handchecks, etc. game will turn much upon whether the notorious Gael moving screens are called as offensive fouls versus a foul fighting through it.

At our place, the refs jumped on Londale moving at the top of the screen and put him out of the game, which gave us a huge advantage. It will play an important role.

RenoZag
02-10-2017, 07:37 AM
Refs will keep it close, our bigs will encounter foul trouble. . .the spirit of Dave Libbey will haunt McKeon. . .Joe Rahon will channel his inner Mickey McConnell, Landale will be Samhan 2.0., and Naar will arm bar his way to breathless comparisons to Dellavedova. . .

Zags win anyway, 72 - 67. First team to 70 wins.

How cool would it be if they broke out retro blue road unis like the ones the 99 squad wore. . .?

Pallet
02-10-2017, 07:37 AM
SMC wakes up after looking past UP on Thursday and plays much better, keeps the tempo slow, and GU gets some early foul trouble, The game stays close throughout with some high level execution on both sides, but the GU defense is too long and disciplined.

GU 68
SMC 65

Mantua
02-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Here's Myron Medcalf's prediction:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117596/weekend-picks-gonzaga-remains-perfect-with-win-at-saint-marys

FlyZag
02-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Two very good defensive teams. Big spotlight, pressure on both teams= a lot of nerves = missed shots = low scoring game. First team to hit 70 wins.

Drooling Canines = 70
Goidels = 64

Reborn
02-10-2017, 09:31 AM
This is really a very interesting thread so far. The range of a Zag victory is from a 4 point victory to a 30 point victory. There seems to be a fair amount of people who either don't think St Mary's is very good, or who think Gonzaga is really, really, REALLY good. I'm lined up with those who think it's going to be a tough game, but i have had strong thoughts this week that the Zags could beat them by 20 again. The Zags are that good. The reason I think it's going to be a close game is because St Mary's ix a top 20 team. If the Zags beat them by more than 10 points I feel that they will b voted out of the top 25, and they'll also get a lower seed in the national tournament in March. So yes, this is a very important game for St Mary's.

TexasZagFan
02-10-2017, 10:04 AM
This is really a very interesting thread so far. The range of a Zag victory is from a 4 point victory to a 30 point victory. There seems to be a fair amount of people who either don't think St Mary's is very good, or who think Gonzaga is really, really, REALLY good. I'm lined up with those who think it's going to be a tough game, but i have had strong thoughts this week that the Zags could beat them by 20 again. The Zags are that good. The reason I think it's going to be a close game is because St Mary's ix a top 20 team. If the Zags beat them by more than 10 points I feel that they will b voted out of the top 25, and they'll also get a lower seed in the national tournament in March. So yes, this is a very important game for St Mary's.

St. Mary's IMO has to get off to a good start. If they shoot anything like they did last night to start the game, fans will be headed for the parking lot before halftime.

A bit O/T, but the race for 3rd place is getting interesting, and the consequences loom large: who would you rather play in the semi-final game in Vegas: GU or SMC, on a court that's likely to be populated by Zag fans. Zags will be loose, there will be little or no pressure on them, whether or not they're undefeated by then.

This year's Zags is a veteran team, with great players and great chemistry. They will not be fazed by the atmosphere at McKeon.

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2017, 10:10 AM
81-69

BayAreaZagFan
02-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Who has the most pressure on them? I say St. Mary's. They've had some recent success, but they're still not used to this kind of attention. They know that if they win, they're in the tournament, but if they lose, there might still be some doubt. Their fans want this win very badly, and there's going to be a natural pressure not to disappoint them. And while there may be pressure being the #1 team in the nation, there's also pressure playing the #1 team in the nation. I think all of that points to the Gaels coming out tight to start the game. How they recover from will determine if they lose by a little or lose by a lot.

kitzbuel
02-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Zags 79
Mary's 64

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

zag67
02-10-2017, 03:17 PM
GU - 83
SMC - 67

mattydog73
02-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Zags: 83
SMC: 65

IMO, Pace of game will impact final outcome just a bit, but Zags are WAY too deep and WAY too talented for these Gaels.

In the "would like to see" dept: M-2-M for 35 mins and 2-3 zone for a couple stretches just to mess with them.

23dpg
02-10-2017, 04:28 PM
The SMC forum isn't responding right now. Possibly too much traffic leading up to the big game for the the site?

503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.

ZagsGoZags
02-10-2017, 04:29 PM
GU 79
Gaels 69

All Weather Fan
02-10-2017, 05:37 PM
What the Hael is a Gael ?
An apt title methinks for this short tale.
Are they up to the task
Seems the question to ask.
Or most likely, will the Zags once again prevail ?
GU - 73
SMC - 64

NotoriousZ
02-10-2017, 06:17 PM
81-78 Zags

23dpg
02-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Zags 75
Gaels 67

GU69
02-10-2017, 06:37 PM
ESPN game day. It's going to be exciting, and the environment at Moraga is a challenge, but this is a really good Gonzaga team. They should continue to be unbeaten: 70-60.

Zag_Dad
02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Zags 72
Gaels 64

GrizZAG
02-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Zags 83
SMC 69

tummydoc
02-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Tags 86
Games 67

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

tummydoc
02-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Dang auto correct! Zags 86 gaels 67

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

ZagMan in Philly
02-11-2017, 03:56 AM
ESPN will be disappointed because it will be a blow out game.
Too much talent, the mighty Zags are for real.
Zags 90
Gaels 70

TravelinZag
02-11-2017, 04:18 AM
Zags 74
SMC 65

Looking forward to a good game after both teams shake off any tightness.

Go #1 Zags! FF or beyond!

gonstu
02-11-2017, 05:05 AM
Gaels have taken care of business in WCC so far - a sign of a really good team. But zags have won same games in exceedingly convincing ways - 20, 30 40 point wins. This zag team is great. On any given night though a good team can beat a great team.

My take: Play Landale straight up most of the time, let him "get his." Sprinkle in some double teams but only once in a while. The key is SMC 3 pt line - our guards must guard them out there.

Reborn
02-11-2017, 05:46 AM
I'm up and getting ready for the greatest game day of them all.

Gp Zags!!!

amaronizag
02-11-2017, 06:35 AM
So far, the zone defense is the only chink I've seen in the GU armor. I don't see GU letting off on the gas at all. I think the Gaels will make a lot of 3's at home, but our defense is better and will slow down their scoring. I can't see them being able to shut down our scoring from all positions and we will pull away like last game. They will double and trap and we will make them pay. I just can't see this being a close game at the end. 20 point win for GU.

ZenZag
02-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Zags - 79
Gaels - 71

bulldoginpdx
02-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Zags 85
Gaels 69

Zag365
02-11-2017, 08:19 AM
The way both teams defend and, on offense, patiently run lots of ball screens/passes to set up high percentage shots, I'll be surprised if either team breaks 75. I'm thinking a tight game with score in the 60s unless one or the other team has a major meltdown.

CdAZagFan
02-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Zags 80
Gaels 68

DixieZag
02-11-2017, 08:29 AM
The way both teams defend and, on offense, patiently run lots of ball screens/passes to set up high percentage shots, I'll be surprised if either team breaks 75. I'm thinking a tight game with score in the 60s unless one or the other team has a major meltdown.

Really good point, we talk about our defense and yet SMC played about the best defense we'd seen except maybe Florida.

ZagzKrak
02-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Zags 84
SMC 65

sittingon50
02-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Hope you're "right on" again, Krak.

MDABE80
02-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Zags fav by 4.5 pts. I think that's pretty slim at their place. Big deal for us and SMC too. Lots riding on this one game. Defense wins this one.
I'd get Collins and Karno managing down low. Collins has quick feet and he can slide over easily to help. Josh has "watched" the past game. He'll need to be focused.
Overall we have more talent. Refs may be a factor. These WCC refs always scare me with their erratic calls. Landale is a very good player but he will foul. GU has the edge with guards.

ZagaZags
02-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Zags fav by 4.5 pts. I think that's pretty slim at their place. Big deal for us and SMC too. Lots riding on this one game. Defense wins this one.
I'd get Collins and Karno managing down low. Collins has quick feet and he can slide over easily to help. Josh has "watched" the past game. He'll need to be focused.
Overall we have more talent. Refs may be a factor. These WCC refs always scare me with their erratic calls. Landale is a very good player but he will foul. GU has the edge with guards.

ESPN has Gonzaga -3.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400915873

Zagnailler
02-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Zags 85
Gaels 58
I love palindromes

ProVeeZag
02-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Zags 78
Other Guys 69

MontanaCoyote
02-11-2017, 03:53 PM
My heart's beating too fast, my face is red, I can't sit still. Going to check my blood pressure now. If I'm not back on this board after the game, call 911.

Thanks

maynard g krebs
02-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Aargh. Forgot to post, but too late-GU 77-74.

Zags11
02-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Did my prediction get lost?