PDA

View Full Version : Romar to Missouri...?

dhozagfan08
02-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Heard on a Brock on Salk this morning that there is a rumor going around the college bball world that Romar could take the head coaching job at the University of Missouri, and take his recruiting class with him. They also said that Missouri could be rethinking that hire with the way UW's players seem to have given up recently.

CDC84
02-08-2017, 07:54 AM
That rumor is beyond bizarre.

MDABE80
02-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Who hires a guy who's failed? More so for the reasons Romar's failed. Who could take his contract??

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Who hires a guy who's failed? More so for the reasons Romar's failed. Who could take his ocntract??

SF 49ers? They can't help themselves.

CDC84
02-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Who hires a guy who's failed?

Mizzou just might knowing their reputation. Romar coached at Saint Louis before he took the UW job. He knows his way around Missouri.

sittingon50
02-08-2017, 08:24 AM
And his recently hired Asst. with his 5 Star boy in the pipeline was "lured" away from the Mizzou women's program.

U Zig, I Zag
02-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Who hires a guy who's failed? More so for the reasons Romar's failed. Who could take his ocntract??

Almost the entirety of corporate America is made up of guys (and some gals) failing their way to the top.

I can see it though, Romar has that carpetbagger look and vibe going on, 'well, well I do declare!!'' (pulls out hanky and dabs sweaty forehead)

dhozagfan08
02-08-2017, 08:25 AM

I don't think it works like that does it? I thought if the school AND coach agree to terminate his contract then he just starts over with Missouri. Or in some cases there is a buyout that the new school has to pay, which in this case it sounds like UW would be willing to wave it just to get rid of him with out having to pay his entire contract.

CDC84
02-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Time to break out the Romar theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRjFWDGs1g

coolhandzag
02-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Noooooo! Too fertile a recruiting ground for GU.

SWZag
02-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Jim Sterk’s Missouri Tiger Legacy will Ride on Kim Anderson’s Replacement (https://www.campuspressbox.com/2017/jim-sterks-missouri-tiger-legacy-will-ride-on-kim-andersons-replacement/)

This next coach could be a more realistic option and would offer a potential juicy side story. How about University of Washington coach Lorenzo Romar? I wouldn’t hate seeing Romar in black and gold. Romar established himself as an ace recruiter in Seattle. The coach has a track record of recruiting coast-to-coast and that includes securing a commitment from Columbia, Missouri native Michael Porter Jr.

Recruiting has never been Romar’s issue. Winning in the NCAA tournament is what’s been the thorn in Romar’s side. And that is what has him on the hot-seat. I believe Romar could make sense at Missouri because he would bring talent to Columbia. Talent is something that Missouri basketball has desperately lacked under Anderson. Once he enticed talented players to wear the Tiger uniform, there is no doubt in my mind that he would win in the SEC. Oh yeah. As for that potential juicy side story? If Romar is the coach to replace Anderson, the telling sign could be whether or not Porter Jr. signs his letter of intent at Washington.

Zags_Fanatic
02-08-2017, 08:50 AM
As much as I understand the Anti-Romar attitude in the fanbase, I have a feeling we are really going to regret this when they push hard to poach Tommy Lloyd.

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 09:02 AM
As much as I understand the Anti-Romar attitude in the fanbase, I have a feeling we are really going to regret this when they push hard to poach Tommy Lloyd.

UW fans will NEVER settle for a Zags assistant. IMO, of course.

DixieZag
02-08-2017, 09:05 AM
I don't think it works like that does it? I thought if the school AND coach agree to terminate his contract then he just starts over with Missouri. Or in some cases there is a buyout that the new school has to pay, which in this case it sounds like UW would be willing to wave it just to get rid of him with out having to pay his entire contract.

You're certainly right about both parties able to walk away from previous contract terms. The question is why Romar would want to do so b/c he's guaranteed that money.

You're also right about the fact that there's often a buy-out clause in contracts for coaches. I'm not sure if Romar has a buyout clause, but - again, you're right, the UW could choose to waive the money they're entitled to on a buy-out.

It's conceivable that the UW would waive the buy-out. Other than the win/loss record, Romar's been a good ambassador and well-liked by the UW community. Maybe it would be worth it to the UW to allow Romar to move, take the UW out of the decision whether to fire or keep him on.

I think you've got the question exactly right.

zagdontzig
02-08-2017, 09:08 AM

I think Lloyd stays regardless; he expects to step in for Few, and the Dan Monson storyline has the Zags coaching staff counting their blessings.

gozagswoohoo
02-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Romar to Mizzou...That would be...........

HILARIOUS!!! :roll:

It is already TOO easy to give my local Mizzou friends crap about their 'team'.

DixieZag
02-08-2017, 09:12 AM
I think Lloyd stays regardless; he expects to step in for Few, and the Dan Monson storyline has the Zags coaching staff counting their blessings.

I hope you're right.

If the UW steps in and offers Lloyd $2 million a year, it would be hard to stay, looking at 15 years (or more) until Few wants to walk away.

GU can up his pay to make money less of an issue, but I think the UW could offer more than Few is making.

It would put him in quite the spot.

Zags_Fanatic
02-08-2017, 09:17 AM
UW fans will NEVER settle for a Zags assistant. IMO, of course.

The fans will get over it very quickly if he starts winning. They might never admit it but they have to be curious how the little guys from the wasteland across the mountains have been so much more successful. Local talent plus top shelf international recruits could make UW formidable and nobody could fault Tommy for taking a 7 figure contract to be head coach of a P5 program rather than wait over a decade for Few to retire.

Zagdawg
02-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Tommy Lloyd has been able to see what happens to other assistants who left --Monson, Grier, Giacoletti -- and on a positive note Rice.

Monson learned the money is not everything.

Tommy has had some offers to move on --but likes the family atmosphere in Spokane -- similar to Few.

Hope he sticks around to take over the reins in the future.

CDC84
02-08-2017, 09:26 AM
If UW were to go after Randy Bennett, they better not make the same mistake that UNLV made. Thinking they can go on the cheap because their job is so much better than Saint Mary's.

Keep in mind....UW's athletic dept. is experiencing financial problems. That would effect their selection of a coach.

MDABE80
02-08-2017, 09:26 AM
You're certainly right about both parties able to walk away from previous contract terms. The question is why Romar would want to do so b/c he's guaranteed that money.

You're also right about the fact that there's often a buy-out clause in contracts for coaches. I'm not sure if Romar has a buyout clause, but - again, you're right, the UW could choose to waive the money they're entitled to on a buy-out.

It's conceivable that the UW would waive the buy-out. Other than the win/loss record, Romar's been a good ambassador and well-liked by the UW community. Maybe it would be worth it to the UW to allow Romar to move, take the UW out of the decision whether to fire or keep him on.

I think you've got the question exactly right.

Exactly. UW may be happy to walk away but Romar's a very rich man due to his guaranteed contract ( I don't know why any institution would guarantee such a large sum). I'm not so sure Romar would walk away when he's got so much money due him. Plus, it's said he'd take his recruits with him basically gutting the UW program. Tough sledding fro UW for the next several years if that would happen.

former1dog
02-08-2017, 09:30 AM
I would hope to see Tommy Lloyd stay at Gonzaga, but UW would be a pretty sweet gig for a man of his talents. Great recruiter with a great recruiting base. Close to where he's at now so not so much of an uproot for his family. Great money. I think his kids are still young enough that it would not be a major trauma for them to change schools. The program has obviously been hugely patient with Romar, so it wouldn't stretch the imagination that they would give a new guy a long leash. Not to many downsides to taking the job if you're Tommy Lloyd.

CDC84
02-08-2017, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Few hangs it up in the next 7-8 years. He isn't going to be coaching into his 70's. I would be surprised if Tommy bolts unless the money is crazy.

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Tommy Lloyd has been able to see what happens to other assistants who left --Monson, Grier, Giacoletti -- and on a positive note Rice.

Monson learned the money is not everything.

Tommy has had some offers to move on --but likes the family atmosphere in Spokane -- similar to Few.

Hope he sticks around to take over the reins in the future.

I don't know what his current salary is, but his first child will be eligible to attend GU in a few years. Tuition free, right?

former1dog
02-08-2017, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Few hangs it up in the next 7-8 years. He isn't going to be coaching into his 70's. I would be surprised if Tommy bolts unless the money is crazy.

I would. I'd put money on him coaching 20 or more years from now.

seacatfan
02-08-2017, 09:39 AM
What? I can kinda understand Romar getting out before he gets fired, like Pastner just did at Memphis. Can't say that I understand Missouri thinking he's a good option given his record the last 5-6 years. Also as far as taking his recruiting class with him, I could understand the Porters following him, would be going back home for him. But the pair of guards from Garfield. Really? I have a hard time believing that.

CDC84
02-08-2017, 09:50 AM
I would. I'd put money on him coaching 20 or more years from now.

Few has said publicly in print and radio on numerous occasions that he absolutely won't be coaching into his 70's. He's usually a man of his word. Plus, his personality suggests it. He has so many other things he likes to do in life besides basketball. Much more than most high level basketball coaches. I really wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by 65. Coaching takes years off your life, and there are more trout streams to be discovered :)

former1dog
02-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Few has said publicly in print and radio on numerous occasions that he won't be coaching into his 70's. He's usually a man of his word. Plus, he personality suggests it. He has so many other things he likes to do in life besides basketball.

Time will tell, obviously, but my read on him makes me thinks he's going to stick with the coaching gig. He has a great life and does all the stuff he wants to do and being a coach at the same time. I think he'll make the determination that he's not missing out on anything while continuing to coach.

And, look at his main role model. Few's Dad, as I understand it, worked as a preacher well into his golden years.

Kiddwell
02-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Where's the actual column, tweet, or news story that Romar is being approached/recruited by Mizzou?

:]

CDC84
02-08-2017, 10:17 AM
https://www.campuspressbox.com/2017/jim-sterks-missouri-tiger-legacy-will-ride-on-kim-andersons-replacement/

There's a lot of speculation. That's all you're going to hear right now because we're in the middle of the season, and sources aren't as willing to open their mouths. But there is more and more smoke building up, and that usually leads to fire. I've heard rumors about the Romar/Mizzou thing before the talking heads in Seattle talked about it on radio this morning.

seacatfan
02-08-2017, 10:26 AM
He coached at St. Louis for a few years between Pepperdine and UW. Also grabs recruits out of the area occasionally, so he "knows the territory" so to speak.

23dpg
02-08-2017, 03:13 PM
"Recruiting has never been Romar’s issue. Winning in the NCAA tournament is what’s been the thorn in Romar’s side. And that is what has him on the hot-seat. I believe Romar could make sense at Missouri because he would bring talent to Columbia. Talent is something that Missouri basketball has desperately lacked under Anderson. Once he enticed talented players to wear the Tiger uniform, there is no doubt in my mind that he would win in the SEC. Oh yeah. As for that potential juicy side story? If Romar is the coach to replace Anderson, the telling sign could be whether or not Porter Jr. signs his letter of intent at Washington."

No, MAKING the tourney is the issue. Cmon, that's just lazy reporting.

hooter73
02-08-2017, 06:46 PM
His record has spoken too loudly, he's a great talker but can't coach worth a darn. Everyone from uw to Missouri knows his by now.

CDC84
02-09-2017, 08:03 AM
He coached at St. Louis for a few years between Pepperdine and UW. Also grabs recruits out of the area occasionally, so he "knows the territory" so to speak.

And his assistant @ St. Louis was a guy named Randy Bennett

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-09-2017, 01:16 PM
As long as Coach Romar continues to send quality transfers to us, I wish him well wherever he goes.

Do we want UW guys?

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/omnisport/82/b1/williams-goss-nigel-050315-usnews-getty-ftr_jnvcow4807ft1hymvxlmd9z08.jpg?t=449809749

Or Mizzou guys?

http://archcitysports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/PI-CBK-Missouri-Johnathan-Williams-III-050214.vadapt.620.high_.0.jpg