PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts from a SLC Tribune columnist on BYU

Section 116
02-07-2017, 07:31 PM
I came across a column this evening from Jay Drew, who covers BYU sports for the Salt Lake City Tribune. A couple comments jumped out at me. First this: Gonzaga coach Mark Few always praises the Marriott Center crowd after visits to Provo, and this year was no exception.He did have an interesting take on what drives BYU's supporters earlier in the week to John Feinstein of the Washington Post, telling the renowned writer this:"The fans there look at sports as a way of showing people how great their way of life is, and to beat a team like ours almost becomes a basketball crusade."

Feinstein interpreted Few's "way of life" comment to be the LDS religion. I can't decide if I am offended by the "way of life" comment but I kind of got the feeling Drew put this is his column to "stir the ###". Here is a link to Feinstein's column: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/no-mark-few-and-gonzaga-havent-been-to-a-final-four-but-thats-missing-the-point/2017/02/03/8c68cd06-ea41-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?utm_term=.a34b0796a751

The other comment regarded officiating. Drew may be right regarding home team fans protesting every call but I have some experience around BYU fans and I'm not so sure I don't agree with the Spokesman-Review columnist ( I think Vince Grippi) who says BYU has never committed a foul. Here is what Drew says: Finally, the Spokesman-Review's website published some commentary after the BYU-Gonzaga game based on a writer's viewing of the television broadcast.

The author referred to BYU's "raucous fans, who seemed to feel the Cougars never committed a foul." He surmised that the officiating trio of veterans Randy McCall, Verne Harris and Gregory Nixon "seemed to agree with them after intermission."

For the record, 44 fouls were called in the game, 22 on each team. Gonzaga shot 34 free throws, BYU 26. Elijah Bryant and Nick Emery were disqualified with five fouls each for BYU; No Gonzaga players fouled out.

Maybe the author needs to get out more perhaps even go to a Gonzaga game. From my experience, having visited the Kennel five times, the 6,000 fans who admirably pack McCarthey Athletic Center every single game are among the worst whiners around. And they show up in droves at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas as well.

Here is a link to Drew's column: http://www.sltrib.com/home/4910502-155/byu-basketball-cougars-lead-the-west?page=2

bartruff1
02-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Mark is as plain spoken as anyone I have ever met. He is thoughtful and says what he means and means what he says.

Section 116
02-07-2017, 08:18 PM
To clarify, I certainly take no offense at the "way of life" comment. I just kind of got the feeling Drew put that in his column to stir up his readership. I guess it does have some journalistic value and I'm sure Few would stand by his comment. Maybe I'm making more out of this than there is?

DADoZAG
02-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Mark is as plain spoken as anyone I have ever met. He is thoughtful and says what he means and means what he says.

Great leaders usually are.

Coach's comment about relevancy is right on, but has it really been twenty years?

No matter, given all the negatives of the situation, he has done, or will soon do what many old time posters said was simply not possible.

Go ZAGS!

WallaWallaZag
02-07-2017, 09:44 PM
The author referred to BYU's "raucous fans, who seemed to feel the Cougars never committed a foul." He surmised that the officiating trio of veterans Randy McCall, Verne Harris and Gregory Nixon "seemed to agree with them after intermission." For the record, 44 fouls were called in the game, 22 on each team. Gonzaga shot 34 free throws, BYU 26. Elijah Bryant and Nick Emery were disqualified with five fouls each for BYU; No Gonzaga players fouled out.

Maybe the author needs to get out more perhaps even go to a Gonzaga game. From my experience, having visited the Kennel five times, the 6,000 fans who admirably pack McCarthey Athletic Center every single game are among the worst whiners around. And they show up in droves at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas as well.

i find any byu writer discussing the whining of any other fanbase to be hilarious...
byu fans have the nickname "Yiners" for a reason...

also unusual is a writer calling out another journalist like he does to the spokesman-review.

seacatfan
02-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Why does a BYU honk work for a newspaper in SLC. Shouldn't they be firmly pro Utes and anti BYU?

MickMick
02-08-2017, 04:43 AM
I sort of empathize with their pain. Utah is in the big leagues and Ute fan's relentless taunts about BYU habitually finishing third in a mid major conference is soul draining. BYU fans wouldn't even care about playing in gyms if it wasn't for Ute fans doggedly rubbing their faces in it.

Utah Utes are why GU will never be a proper rival of BYU. The Utes inspire BYU's great desire to move on to a football conference. Further, GU fans can never replicate the sincere hatred for BYU that Ute fans have.

With respect to the WCC, BYU is just "there" until they are not. Because of that, I take only casual interest in the narratives coming out of Provo.

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 04:48 AM
I sort of empathize with their pain. Utah is in the big leagues and Ute fan's relentless taunts about BYU habitually finishing third in a mid major conference is soul draining. BYU fans wouldn't even care about playing in gyms if it wasn't for Ute fans doggedly rubbing their faces in it.

Utah Utes are why GU will never be a proper rival of BYU. The Utes inspire BYU's great desire to move on to a football conference. Further, GU fans can never replicate the sincere hatred for BYU that Ute fans have.

With respect to the WCC, BYU is just "there" until they are not. Because of that, I take only casual interest in the narratives coming out of Provo.

Considering how we thrashed Utah last year, one would think a Ute fan wouldn't take that line of attack.

gonzagafan62
02-08-2017, 04:58 AM
Considering how we thrashed Utah last year, one would think a Ute fan wouldn't take that line of attack.

Insttate rivalry.

MickMick
02-08-2017, 05:01 AM

Thier schtick can be substituted word for word with Husky fans. It doesn't matter how often you kick thier ass, it is all about the conference. This is the difference between GU and BYU. GU can thrive in a lesser conference. Apparently, BYU can't. They would prefer to finish last in the Big 12 than third in the WCC. GU tackles their conference affiliation head on and makes the most of it, all the while laughing at Husky fan's conference taunt. This is the difference

JPtheBeasta
02-08-2017, 05:03 AM
BYU's strategy on defense can be summarized by 4 words: Hack, hack, hack, flop. I have no respect for teams who always have the players that will go right through you on offense then go crashing to the floor at the slightest touch on the other end, or hack through your wrist on one end then flail around on the other if you get touched on the arm. It has to be coached, because every iteration of that team does it. And when the offensive foul doesn't get called at home, the boo birds come out. When 1 out of 10 hacks down at the ball get called, the boo birds come out. The fans en masse during a live game have a clearly unreasonable view of what is occurring on the floor. I should be quite clear the team has a strategy of playing to the referees and they feed right into it. The flopping is an absolute joke and it bothers me more than just about anything in college basketball.

Bogozags
02-08-2017, 05:23 AM
I am not a BYU Hater nor do I hate SMC either...I look at them as rivals for both the Women's and Men's basketball teams...it is a healthy rivalry and for some reason BYU just has not lived up to their potential...they have better recruits than SMC and play hard but just can't win the big games they need to win...

If you watch the Dookies or Tar Heel fans (they play this week) their fans are also fanatics too, just like BYU and ours...Dookiers and Tar Heel fans have no mercy for the other teams' players or schools but they do respect each other's institutions as higher institutions of learning...

I use to think BYU would be a good fit for the B12 but don't see it now; however, if they were accepted, then IMO BYU would need to find another Bball coach, because Rose IMO, just doesn't push defence and that is one of the reasons they don't win the "big" games in the WCC or against OOC foes...

jpn17
02-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Agreed. If Utah was winning Pac-12 championships, then that kind of boasting would hold some weight, as things stand it just seems hollow.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Why does a BYU honk work for a newspaper in SLC. Shouldn't they be firmly pro Utes and anti BYU?

No. BYU is in the SLC metro area so SLC is the primary market for BYU. Marriott center is only a 45 minute drive from downtown SLC.

CDC84
02-08-2017, 07:45 AM
I thought that the Few quote was hilarious. There are a lot of people who don't realize how tough it is and always has been to play in that arena. One ESPN guy said it's the loudest arena he's ever been in besides KU's Allen Fieldhouse.

I can't say what happens when LMU comes to town, but whenever GU enters the Marriott Center, I don't think I have not heard booing when a foul gets called on one of the Cougar players. Even if the GU guy gets hammered, there are boos. It's the only facility in the country that has a crowd like this.

The Marriott Center.....there's nothing like it.

zagdontzig
02-08-2017, 09:16 AM

No. BYU is in the SLC metro area so SLC is the primary market for BYU. Marriott center is only a 45 minute drive from downtown SLC.

BYU is NOT in the Salt Lake metro area, and the SL Trib is not friendly to BYU. In fact, the Trib is hyper-critical of BYU athletics on a regular basis. All of Utah has BYU fans, but Utah County (Provo, Orem, the Forks) is the "primary market" for BYU, and Salt Lake County (SLC) is the "primary market" for Utah. The Trib is firmly pro Utah, and the Deseret News is the BYU flag-bearer. Born and raised in Salt Lake, so I know my town.

Anyway, here's a sampling of how Utah County interpreted the comments.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=17336040

former1dog
02-08-2017, 09:24 AM

BYU is in Provo. Provo is 45 miles from Salt Lake. Provo is in the Utah Valley. Salt Lake City is in the Salt Lake Valley.

Utah Ute people populate the Salt Lake Valley and hate (and I mean hate) BYU.

seacatfan
02-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Utes finished 2nd in the Pac the last 2 years w/ 1 Sweet 16 appearance and two and out. Hell of a lot better than BYU has done. BYU hasn't won a Tourney game since 2012 and that was only the play in round, doesn't even really count. Why would Utah compare themselves to Gonzaga? They happened to meet once in the Tourney. They compare themselves to conference foes and their long time much hated in-state rival.

former1dog
02-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Utes finished 2nd in the Pac the last 2 years w/ 1 Sweet 16 appearance and two and out. Hell of a lot better than BYU has done. BYU hasn't won a Tourney game since 2012 and that was only the play in round, doesn't even really count. Why would Utah compare themselves to Gonzaga? They happened to meet once in the Tourney. They compare themselves to conference foes and their long time much hated in-state rival.

QFT. You also probably know that Utah suspended its basketball series with BYU last year due to Emery cheap shotting Utah's starting point guard in the face. Emery is such a tool.

DixieZag
02-08-2017, 10:11 AM

Exactly right.

The conference thing matters a great deal. Because, not only has Utah fielded better teams while in a BCS conference, the presumption (as I've noted before) was that BYU would be right beside or just under the Zags in dominating the WCC as a "lesser" league. It just compounds BYU's embarrassment, while also allowing Ute fans an out to ignore how badly we beat them.

On the Few comment - silly. He clearly meant the entire thing as a compliment. It takes serious insecurities to attempt to find it insulting.

BayAreaZagFan
02-08-2017, 11:26 AM

I was at the tournament game against BYU in Denver a few years back and sat in a section that was made up primarily of BYU fans. I have never, ever in my entire sports-attending life (before or since) had to listen to so many fans whine, cry and complain any and every time a foul was called against their team, or not called against the opposing team when they felt it should have been (which was ALWAYS). I met up after the game with a friend who was also in attendance, but in a different section that was mostly Gonzaga fans. He had no rooting interest in either team, and he told me how bad (whiny) he felt the Zags fans around him were.

I attend a lot of games in the Bay Area and, while I'm usually fortunate enough to sit near other GU fans, I always hear the fans of the local team complaining about the calls more than I think they should. Bottom line, I think everyone complains, some more than others, but to me, it usually seems like the other teams' fans are worse.

GrizZAG
02-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Ute's coach>BYU coach

MickMick
02-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Why would Utah compare themselves to Gonzaga?

I can't find an instance in this thread where someone suggested there should be such a comparison. Was it the journalist in Salt Lake that wrote this?

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 12:37 PM
I was at the tournament game against BYU in Denver a few years back and sat in a section that was made up primarily of BYU fans. I have never, ever in my entire sports-attending life (before or since) had to listen to so many fans whine, cry and complain any and every time a foul was called against their team, or not called against the opposing team when they felt it should have been (which was ALWAYS). I met up after the game with a friend who was also in attendance, but in a different section that was mostly Gonzaga fans. He had no rooting interest in either team, and he told me how bad (whiny) he felt the Zags fans around him were.

I attend a lot of games in the Bay Area and, while I'm usually fortunate enough to sit near other GU fans, I always hear the fans of the local team complaining about the calls more than I think they should. Bottom line, I think everyone complains, some more than others, but to me, it usually seems like the other teams' fans are worse.

The crowd in Nashville was great. They reacted to bad calls against the Zags, just like we reacted to bad calls against the Vols. I heard "let 'em play" on multiple occasions, didn't matter who the foul was against.

Normal partisanship resumed the last ten minutes of the second half.

seacatfan
02-08-2017, 12:48 PM
I can't find an instance in this thread where someone suggested there should be such a comparison. Was it the journalist in Salt Lake that wrote this?

Okay, not directly comparing Utah to GU. But mentions of the Tourney game between the 2 last year and then some hints of the usual "we hate the Pac 12 because they hate us" vibe.