PDA

View Full Version : BYU seemingly unable to dislodge GU....

Section 116
02-06-2017, 02:53 PM
The natives are getting restless in Provo......http://www.sltrib.com/home/4900765-155/byu-basketball-analysis-cougars-have-been?fullpage=1

CDC84
02-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Before they dislodge Gonzaga they need to stop losing to teams like San Diego and Santa Clara, and then, especially, figure out how to beat Saint Mary's. Randy Bennett has BYU's number every bit as much as Gonzaga does.

RenoZag
02-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Some selections from the comments section below the linked article:

Playing on the road in the WCC can be murder. There must of been 2,500 people at Santa Clara with nearly 400 of those rooting for the Broncos.

I think they just play too difficult of a schedule.

Whether BYU wants to admit it or not the jump to independence really devastated the basketball program having to play in a league lesser in competitive opponents hurts recruiting to promote football. Other than the Zags that is.

When it comes to West Coast Conference basketball, God clearly loves them Catholics.

gonzagafan62
02-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Same people that said they'd obliterate the WCC lol.

DixieZag
02-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Great find, good article, horrible website, took forever to load - ads slowing it down.

I always look for the big "unspoken" truth in these BYU articles; They expected to win this "high school gym" league, or at least be 1-2 with us from the beginning, and that's driving much of the anger. They thought they'd maybe lose to us, but they damn sure didn't think they'd be getting beat by San Diego or Santa Clara in years like this, or be paced by St. Mary's

Thank you.

TexasZagFan
02-06-2017, 03:57 PM
Some selections from the comments section below the linked article:

Thanks to that journey through the comments, I learned a new term: Yiners ! Lol

Zagger
02-07-2017, 04:21 AM
Thanks to that journey through the comments, I learned a new term: Yiners ! Lol

Dang, "Yiners" could reek havoc if the GU student section took a hankering to it. The BYU game @ GU is our regular season's last game. I hope we get to see more pics like this one from that game .....

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/omnisport/c3/2b/gonzagas-jordan-mathews_cf0sq9ob450o10nci87wxyyzg.jpg?t=339835802&w=960&quality=70

GoZags
02-07-2017, 04:54 AM
Dang, "Yiners" could reek havoc if the GU student section took a hankering to it. The BYU game @ GU is our regular season's last game. I hope we get to see more pics like this one from that game .....

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/omnisport/c3/2b/gonzagas-jordan-mathews_cf0sq9ob450o10nci87wxyyzg.jpg?t=339835802&w=960&quality=70

Awesome photo. Let's do a "zoom" in on the gal to the right of Jordan's wrist ...

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/p03lcphh_zpslp2ovjfs.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/p03lcphh_zpslp2ovjfs.jpg.html)

Birddog
02-07-2017, 05:08 AM
Rose's quotes were right out of the "Coachspeak Handbook".

sittingon50
02-07-2017, 07:09 AM
Would like to see KC members all bring a pair of sunglasses & slip them on whenever Haws steps to the free throw line (unless he hit's a tanning booth in the next few weeks).

thespywhozaggedme
02-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Awesome photo. Let's do a "zoom" in on the gal to the right of Jordan's wrist ...

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/p03lcphh_zpslp2ovjfs.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/p03lcphh_zpslp2ovjfs.jpg.html)

Very little known fact that after his "dark" phase, Edvard Munch converted to LDS and resettled in Utah. His great great granddaughter Angie Munch is now a sophomore at BYU.

JPtheBeasta
02-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Very little known fact that after his "dark" phase, Edvard Munch converted to LDS and resettled in Utah. His great great granddaughter Angie Munch is now a sophomore at BYU.

Are you being sarcastic?

(I actually looked up temple records online and his baptism (and everything else) appears to have occurred posthumously.)

ETA: "tried" to look them up on line is more accurate. I found an Edvard Munch that was earlier Han the artist and the other source for the posthumous stuff is spurious.

scott257
02-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

(I actually looked up temple records online and his baptism (and everything else) appears to have occurred posthumously.)

Heck no, Angie is looking forward to being Mika's second wife.

JPtheBeasta
02-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Heck no, Angie is looking forward to being Mika's second wife.

I understand that you were being funny but I wanted to make sure that it was clear that I wasn't intending to disparage anyone for their beliefs.

Mr Vulture
02-07-2017, 12:57 PM
I said this last week after we played them. I saw a team in BYU that is pretty young in regards to it's best players, class wise, that could be extremely good next year. Next year they will have Mika (Jr), Emery (Jr), Haws (So), and Childs (So) as a core. In addition, Dastrup (So) was a ESPN100 player when recruited and should be in better shape and they have another big guy, Lee, out of Idaho committed as a ESPN100 guy this year. I think they are in very good position to be a legit contender next year in the WCC, especially if Collins and/or NWG were to leave.

jpn17
02-07-2017, 04:59 PM
I said this last week after we played them. I saw a team in BYU that is pretty young in regards to it's best players, class wise, that could be extremely good next year. Next year they will have Mika (Jr), Emery (Jr), Haws (So), and Childs (So) as a core. In addition, Dastrup (So) was a ESPN100 player when recruited and should be in better shape and they have another big guy, Lee, out of Idaho committed as a ESPN100 guy this year. I think they are in very good position to be a legit contender next year in the WCC, especially if Collins and/or NWG were to leave.

I still think they're going to be a step behind Gonzaga and Saint Mary's next year. 2 years from now is when BYU could contend for the WCC title IMO.

MickMick
02-07-2017, 05:09 PM
I think Childs has a very high ceiling. He might turn into something special. The problem is that he will probably have to generate his own offense from rebounds. I don't see this current group of BYU guards effectively getting him involved.

Shame. One could only imagine how much Few could tap into that potential. Probably turn him into a legit pro. Few would force the guards to get Childs involved.

U Zig, I Zag
02-07-2017, 07:25 PM
BYU plays fast (not quick), lots of early shots. Not a lot of D. Some of them hunker down in a stance but a lot of them are too slow to keep up with even marginal speed from decent guards. Quite honestly, one the their key defense moves is the YMCA 'reach around' (ha!) trying to pop the ball from the backside once you get beat. It's a cheap move and should be called a foul... but there you go.

Those things come from coaching. Either looking the other way or just not caring (or coaching that way *shudder*). Even the thuggish behavior, the blindside hits, the #### punches, etc. that's either tolerated by Rose or encouraged by Rose.

Not going to generate a winning team with that stuff.

DixieZag
02-07-2017, 08:18 PM
I think Childs has a very high ceiling. He might turn into something special. The problem is that he will probably have to generate his own offense from rebounds. I don't see this current group of BYU guards effectively getting him involved.

Shame. One could only imagine how much Few could tap into that potential. Probably turn him into a legit pro. Few would force the guards to get Childs involved.

Great post.

He does seem like he can be a star. But, as you note, he'd have to be used right and there're reasons to doubt he will.

seacatfan
02-07-2017, 09:59 PM
How many year's in a row have some Gonzaga fans been saying "BYU is gonna be really good next year"? Seems like a broken record. As long as Few, Bennett and Rose stay at their respective schools, BYU is 3rd best in the conference. We've seen all this before, already know how the story goes.

And I absolutely believe Rose encourages the thuggish behavior. There is a long history of it. If he's not encouraging it, then he has zero control of his players or his program. Just like ridiculous non-basketball behavior that happens on the floor for Duke players over the years is definitely attributable to K.

ZagaZags
02-07-2017, 10:51 PM
TJ Haws?

Originally Posted by GoZags

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/p03lcphh_zpslp2ovjfs.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
02-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Are you being sarcastic?

ETA: "tried" to look them up on line is more accurate. I found an Edvard Munch that was earlier Han the artist and the other source for the posthumous stuff is spurious.

Uh...............................yes, I was being sarcastic. I thought that was abundantly apparent when GoZags posted The Scream along with a girl in the BYU crowd with the exact same pose as the person in the painting.

JPtheBeasta
02-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Uh...............................yes, I was being sarcastic. I thought that was abundantly apparent when GoZags posted The Scream along with a girl in the BYU crowd with the exact same pose as the person in the painting.

Uh..... thanks? You know how tangential things occur in the flow of actual conversation that actually have merit? (E.g. "That reminds me, Munch ironically actually did convert to Mormonism..."). Maybe that never happens to you. No big deal. If you want to be lame about an honest question that's your prerogative- I'll just steer clear of you.

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 06:51 AM
These 5 day delays in games are getting on everyone's nerves...lol.

willandi
02-08-2017, 07:21 AM
I have changed my will so that I will posthumously convert to whatever denomination/religion/sect seems to be right at the time the trumpet blows. Hope that works. It was either that or get baptized into one of the 'once saved, always saved' versions!

CDC84
02-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Since BYU joined the league:

1/14/2017 = lost by 13 at San Diego

1/26/2017 = lost by 8 at Santa Clara

1/16/2016 = lost by 3 at Portland

1/23/2016 = lost by 6 at Pepperdine

2/6/2016 = lost at HOME to Pacific by 5

1/8/2015 = lost at HOME to Pepperdine by 6

1/24/2015 = lost by 3 at San Diego

2/5/2015 = lost by 5 at Pepperdine

12/28/2013 = lost by 11 at LMU

12/30/2013 = lost by 6 at Pepperdine

1/23/2014 = lost by 4 at Portland

2/13/2014 = lost by 7 at Pacific

2/7/2013 = lost by 6 at San Diego

2/9/2013 = lost at HOME by 12 to San Francisco

1/19/2012 = lost at HOME by 14 to LMU

In addition to learning how to beat St. Mary's, they also need to stop losing games like these if they wish to "dislodge" Gonzaga......